Newbie Question #2

Hello all,

I have used XML documents in the past without schemas or validation.  Now I
am venturing into the realm of validating, transforming, etc.  Can anyone
point me to a good book or informative website (not w3.com) that will help
me along?

For example some questions have come up when reviewing sample XSD's from
multiple sources:

What is the difference between xs:, xsd:, xsi: prefixes?  Is there any
difference or is the author choosing to use different prefixes?  What other
prefixes are standard when defining XSD's?  Are their any good tools "near
free or freely" available that will help with XSLT?  Whats the different
between XPATH and XQUERY and which should I be looking to use?

Thanks ahead of time!

Ben Kim

0
bkim7235 (3)

Hi Ben,

http://www.w3schools.com/ has some pretty good introductory tutorials.
(Don't worry, it's not like www.w3.com) :-)

Regards,

Cerebrus.

"Ben Kim" <bkim@NOSPAMemergitech.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I have used XML documents in the past without schemas or validation.  Now
> am venturing into the realm of validating, transforming, etc.  Can anyone
> point me to a good book or informative website (not w3.com) that will help
> me along?
>
> For example some questions have come up when reviewing sample XSD's from
> multiple sources:
>
> What is the difference between xs:, xsd:, xsi: prefixes?  Is there any
> difference or is the author choosing to use different prefixes?  What
other
> prefixes are standard when defining XSD's?  Are their any good tools "near
> free or freely" available that will help with XSLT?  Whats the different
> between XPATH and XQUERY and which should I be looking to use?
>
> Thanks ahead of time!
>
> Ben Kim

0
zorg007 (48)
2/16/2006 6:06:08 AM

Ben Kim wrote:

> What is the difference between xs:, xsd:, xsi: prefixes?  Is there any
> difference or is the author choosing to use different prefixes?

That has not much to do with schemas itself, if you use XML with
namespaces then of course you are free to choose whatever prefix you
like and declare it/bind it to a namespace URI.
So what matters if you want to write a W3C XML schema is the namespace
of the elements, it should be http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.

Whether you then do e.g.

or e.g.

<xsd:schema xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

or

<schema xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

is up to you (respectively the author or tool that produces the schema).

As for the prefix xsi it is often (when used with W3C XML schemas) bound
to the namespace URI http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance, but
again the prefix does not matter, the namespace URI matters, and that
namespace URI is for example used for some attributes to have an XML
instance document indicate a schema location.

You did not want to be pointed to the W3C site but they have an
introductory document
   <http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-0/>
which is not the specification itself but rather an introduction with
examples and therefore quite helpful.

As for a book, one of the authors of that W3C introduction (the second
edition) is Priscilla Walmsley, she has also published a book
   <http://www.datypic.com/books/defxmlschema/>

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Ben Kim

0
bkim7235 (3)
2/16/2006 6:51:54 PM
Ben Kim wrote:
> Are their any good tools "near
> free or freely" available that will help with XSLT?  Whats the different
> between XPATH and XQUERY and which should I be looking to use?

Hi Ben -
Try watching this online video - it shows how to visually develop XSLT
stylesheets in Stylus Studio:
http://www.stylusstudio.com/learn_xslt.html

There's also an XSLT editor if you prefer to manually write XSLT
stylesheets: http://www.stylusstudio.com/xslt_editor.html

As for the difference between XPath and XQuery - they're very much
related. Dr. Michael Kay (one of the inventors of XSLT) wrote a good
tutorial that covers both XPath and XQuery and you can read it here:
http://www.stylusstudio.com/xquery_primer.html

Hope that helps.

Sincerely,
The Stylus Studio Team
http://www.stylusstudio.com

Auto Filter #2
The autofilter locks up on me when trying to change the filtered values. How can I fix this? Autofilter uses lots of memory - like Excel does in general - generally this happens when you run out of memory. You may want to active the Resource Meter system tool before opening your workbook. If it goes red when you activate the filter you don't have enough memory. Try to reduce the size of the workbook - remove colors, macros etc. and then retry the filtering. Good Luck John >-----Original Message----- >The autofilter locks up on me when trying to change the >filtered ...

CString question #6
I am porting a project from VC6 to VC8, and had a problem regarding to CString, the code snippet is as following: CString str1; str1 =3D str2 (str2 is a CString returned from a stored procedure) in debug window, str2 is "N", but str1 is ""N=FD=FD=FD=FD=AB=AB=AB=AB=AB=AB= =AB=AB=FE=EE=FE" After I changed to str.Format("%s", str2), str is changed to "N" I am confused why str1=3Dstr2 doesn't work, could anyone please explain? Thanks I'm not aware of any changes that would cause that. When you are at the line str1 = str2, put this into t...

A Question Regarding Comments
I insert a comment in one of the locked cells. If I protect the sheet without the Edit Objects box checked and when I point to that cell, the comment won't show. On the other hand, if I protect the sheet with the Edit Objects box checked, the comment will show; however, it will also allow the user to make changes to the comment. My sheet contains multiple columns, and the column headers are protected. I am inserting comments in the column headers so that the users know the purpose of those columns and what to enter. I like it to be able to show when the user points to the h...

Business Contact Manager #2
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_007B_01C3886B.F77760E0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Dear All, I wonder, after the release of the Office Professional Enterprise = Edition 2003, where is the Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2003?? I = have downloaded it from the MSDN Download site. It contains every = application except the BCM. I wonder where it is. I need it heavily = because I already started filling it with data in the Beta 2 version. Can someone help or advise?? Thanks... His...

Date formulas #2
Cell A1 = due date. Need cell B1 to highlight in color if due date is < today's date. What formula can I use to do this? You can use CF See http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html Select B1 Use this formula in CF =A1<today() -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Cachod1" <Cachod1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B2D5A53E-0C25-4460-9883-3AE4E5C2166A@microsoft.com... > Cell A1 = due date. Need cell B1 to highlight in color if due date is < > today's date. What formula can I use to do this? > ...

A question about CCommandLineInfo
I want to write an application that if it is given no command line arguments, it will run in a GUI mode. However, if the user passes any command line arguments, it means that he wishes to execute the program in a "automatic" mode, therefore I want it to in this case run and eject information to the console. I want it to be a single application to help reduce redant code. - Christopher Dannemiller. This is a common question. I've never seen a good answer for it, mostly because I think the idea basically is a Bad Idea anyway. joe On 3 Jun 2005 15:54:00 -0700, chris.dannemil...

Email Routing #2
Our mail system is plagued with directory harvesting spam. By this i mean mail addressed to <fictititious-random-user>@<realdomain.com>. There can be 25K such attempts per day. This is in a country where bandwidth is very expensive. I would like to put a box at the ISP's end of the link which will eliminate this traffic by dropping all mail not directed to legitimate domain users down a hole. The question is which box? An Exchange front end server seems a bit of an overkill. It should be possible to have the box run W2K3 and configure LDAP routing, but I can't find...

Difficult Question inside! Anyone up for it?
I have only been using Excel for a month now, but did some programmin many years ago. Maybe I�m being too aggressive, but I�m trying t divide bills by the number of people responsible for them. D3=$10.00 E4= PB, RC, GF D E F G H I 1 PB RC GF BEV 2 Amount Description $30.00 $30.00 $30.00 $30.00 3 $10.00 Lunch $3.23 $3.23 $3.24 4 PB, RC, GF $26.77 $26.77 $26.76 $30.00 5 $5.50 Bowling 6 PR...

Worksheet tab protection #2
Is there a way to individually protect each worksheet, so that you have to type in the password to be able to view the data. I would be nice to be able to create worksheets and give certain groups of people only access to their portion of data in the workbook. ...

.csv Format Questions
Hi, I am having difficulties Importing into a radio program's database a ..csv Excel 2007 spreadsheet I created. Have the following questions, please: a. For .csv spreadsheets in general, should the entire sheet be formatted as Text ? (or should a column, that contains actual numbers, be formatted as Numbers, like it would be for a regular .xls Excel format ?) I opened up the spreadsheet in Notepad, and see that there are zillions of commas all over the place. Other than the commas between fields, which one would expect, what might all these other ones be ? Are they correct, o...

Auto Page Numbering Question
I have a 12 page pricelist. Recently we made changes to the last 4 pages of this sheet. I am not getting ready to have the last 4 pages printed and sent to my customers so that they can simply replace the last 4 pages, leaving the first 8 in tact. I copied the last 4 pages into a new book, and need the page numbers to read 9 of 12, 10 of 12 ect. However, because the pages are in a new book I can only figure out how to have it say 1 of 4, 2 of 4 and so on. Basically, I need to change the footer to read 9 of 12, 10 of 12, 11 of 12 and 12 of 12, but this is only a 4 page sheet. ...

excel hiddden rows and colums
I used the following information from >Earl Kiosterud >mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net and it is excellent for rows and colums to be hidden if a value is entered into a cell. However, one last question, how do I use it together on the same sheet to hide a row and colum at the same time? ===================================================== >Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) >Set TestCell = Range("J5") >TestValue = "stuff" >If TestCell = TestValue Then > Range("B1").EntireColumn.Hidden = True > Else > ...

Public Folders on 2 Exchange Servers #2
I have 2 Exchange Servers (2003 Ent. Ed.) in seperate Orgs - that each are running Public Folder stores. (keeping in mind we only have 1 "Public Folders", just multiple stores) They are in sync and I've tried to dismount the store on Server A so that everyone will only use Server B for their Public Folder needs. Once I dismount the store on Server A , everyone that has their mailboxes on Server A cannot see what's in the Public Folders on Server B. How can I dismount the Public Folders stores on Server A and have those people with mailboxes on Server A read/access th...

Upgradeing a published website using ftp. Many questions
I published my website using vs2010. I checked the box that made it upgradeable. As a check I ftp copied default.aspx and default.aspx.vb to the site replacing the published files. Looks like it still works. So I can update the site files using ftp? I noticed there is no App_Code folder. Suppose I need to update something in that folder, can I? How? I also noticed there is a file: PrecompiledApp.config Might I ever want to delete that file? What is it for? Would it make sense to delete all the files and ftp the entire site to the host. Can a site be uplo...

Exchange 5.5 IMC question
Hi, anyone know how to stop an Exchange 5.5 IMC from recieving but still allow it to send?? Cheers John On the Connections tab, set the Transfer Mode to Outbound Only. Restart the IMS. -- Denis McDowell [MSFT] "John" <John@4sol.com> wrote in message news:OnQV9krLEHA.2612@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > anyone know how to stop an Exchange 5.5 IMC from recieving but still allow > it to send?? > > Cheers > > John > > Great tip!! This is the answer to my problem (see the "Can I run NAV on received e-mails?"). I need to install NA...

Converting Leads to Opportunities in CRM 3.0 (changes since CRM 1.2?)
We are in the process of upgrading from CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0. In 1.2 we were able to convert Leads to only Opportunities. However, in 3.0 it appears that you must also convert the Lead to an Account or Contact as well (i.e. after clicking on the Convert Lead button, if you select only the Opportunity checkbox, the OK button is disabled, however, if you also select either Account or Contact, the OK button becomes enabled). Is this a change in functionality from CRM 1.2 or is there a setting that impacts this behavior? Thanks in advance. ...

how 2 create and run a macro
i want to try record a new macro. can you teach me the way to create and run it. i am facing the problem Hi a good introduction to macros can be found at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Lee Sok Har wrote: > i want to try record a new macro. can you teach me the way to create > and run it. > i am facing the problem ...

Installation of CRM on SBS 2003 Question
When installing CRM 3.0 on Microsoft SBS 2003 will installing into the default web site cause any problems with any thing else running from there such as Outook Web access, sharepoint, etc? Is it better to create a "new web site" when installing? Thanks, John Lammey You should create a new website. -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "John Lammey" wrote: > When installing CRM 3.0 on Microsoft SBS 2003 will installing into the > default web site cause any problems with any thing else running from there > such as Outook Web access, sharepoint,...

Newbie- Subtask duration not driving main task duration
Just started with Project 2007 last week and I already have an issue! Let's say I create a task, then put some subtasks under it (indented). If I put in a duration for one of the subtasks at 5 days, the blue bar for the subtask extends 5 days, but the main task stays at the default 1 day. It doesn't matter if I open a new project, open a project someone else sends me, etc., same thing happens. However, if I send my Project to someone else, everything looks as it should. I assume I have some kind of formatting or filtering issue, but I'm not experienced enough in p...

Problem upgrade from Mscrm 1.2 to 3.0
At the end of the upgrade i got this error message Failed to locate the Reporting Services Report Server configuration file. Verify the file specified in registry value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Reporting Services[RSConfigFilePath] Does anyone know what wrong? Thanks Mathias ...

"newbie" question using exchange
we have a new install of exchange using sbs 2003. What we would like to do is setup mail folders for three different user accounts that are accessable by all users. I would like for mail that is sent to these accounts (eg: orders@companyname.com) to be sent to the appropriate "public" folder. Could someone give me some direction on setting this up? Any alternate suggestions would be appreciated. Here is a link that explains how to do what you are looking for: http://www.msexchange.org/articles/MF021.html The link relates to Exchange 2000 but the steps are the same. -- Mark Fuga...

MATCH formula #2
I have a spreadsheet that lists all the types of machines and thei model numbers. When a customer places an order for a specific machine I need to reference the other workbook in order to get the model number Is there a way to have this done automatically. For example: when enter a machine type (CE-10), I want the model number for that machin to be entered automatically in another cell, without having to open th other workbook and copy and paste the number myself. I considered dat validation (using a list) but can't reference another workbook. Any thoughts? Thanks, De -- da ------...

address database question
I am setting up an address database in Excel 2003 that I need to be able to use to make labels for mailings. I have people that are in different "categories" and will want to group them by that category, depending on who I am sending the mailing to. For instance, I have a person, Person A, who is a general supporter, lives in the area, and sponsors a child. Person A is in three of the possible 5 categories. Another person, Person B, might be simply a general supporter (i.e., in one category). How can I best organize the data - and the headings - so that I can make labels ...

Changing page numbers #2
Is there any way of making page numbering start at a different number? I created a 16 A5 page document, the first two and last two sheets were a cover page which I printed separately. When I printed pages 3-14 I was asked if I wanted the pages to be printed as a separate document and I replied YES. However the page numbering on this separate document started at page 3 - I would have preferred page 1. The obvious solution of deleting pages 1,2,15,16 did not work. When I deleted pages 1 and 2 the text moved on leaving blank pages. I realise now that the text of the document was a continuous s...

11x17 printing #2
I am trying to print 4 up postcards on 11x17 paper - I have set it up correctly, preview shows 4up, but it prints with smaller size cards like it is being shrunk- does nayone rint 4 up postcards with Publisher on 11x17 paper? Setup your printer first to tabloid, Publisher will follow. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "daretobe" <daretobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:912A3EA4-8948-4306-B665-B122004A9EA3@microsoft.com... >I am trying to print 4 up postcards on 11x17 paper - I have...