New to XML services book recommendation please

Hi all,

I am about to move into programming using an xml web services model. The
first thing I need to know is whether you can use them privately within a
corporate LAN, or whether you need to be connected to the internet for
something.

Secondly I'd like a good book recommendation (I'm in the UK). The
documentation online is a minefield if you aren't familiar with the whole
..net framework.  I am very comfortable with C++ and the traditional
framework model. I understand the reason for the XML services model but none
of the specifics regarding implementation. I also know next to nothing about
the .net framework. So I'd like a book that is geared up towards
knowledgeable programmers who are new to these technologies. If possible I'd
like a book which also covers the difference between using an xml web
service and .net remoting. Database usage with .net would also be an
advantage.

Thanks.

Phil.

Changing WinRM service/server port
Anyone know how to change the server/service port? I've created a listener, but I think I need to change the WinRM client and server to use the new port... PS C:\> Set-WSManInstance -ResourceURI winrm/config/service/DefaultPorts -Value @{HTTP="6000"} Set-WSManInstance : The WinRM client cannot process the request because it is trying to update a read-only setting. Rem ove this setting from the command and try again. At line:1 char:18 + Set-WSManInstance <<<< -ResourceURI winrm/config/service/DefaultPorts -Value @{HTTP="6000"} + Category...

Web Services install error on AD LDS
I am trying to install GP 10 Web Services (with the SP3 installer) on a Windows 2008 SP2 x64 server. Every time I try the install I receive the error: The Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services role must be installed on the computer before installing the Microsoft Dynamics GP Web Service. I have installed AD LDS, and didn't receive any errors on install. I have rebooted a couple of times, still the same error. I have uninstalled and reinstalled AD LDS and still have the problem. Shawn, You may want to check the following KB articles for resolution to your problem: System...

failure of Open XML 1.1.4 to work
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Previous versions of this worked fine. This version comes up with comment &quot;not enough memory&quot;. As I have 2mg Ram this seems strange. Any help appreciated. I'm afraid you haven't provided sufficient information for anyone to go on, especially since that message quite often has nothing to do with memory. For any questions of a technical or performance nature it's important that you specify your current update level of OS X as well as for Office. Exactly when does this messag...

Excel Data appearing in new Pop-up window rather than frameset frame
I have a servlet running in Tomcat that delivers an excel data file, the response content type being set to: "application/vnd.ms-excel" My html page uses a frameset to display (amongst other things) the excel data. The data is displayed on the click of a button and is directed to a particuler frame: <FORM method=post action="servlet/XLDataServlet/data.xls" target="exceldata"> <INPUT TYPE=SUBMIT VALUE="Display Excel Data"> </FORM> With Internet Explorer 6.0 the excel data is displayed in the target frame, with Internet Explorer 5.5...

Exchange OMA error message. Please read...
When our i-700's with Pocket PC 2003 attempts to access our mail exchange server, all we receive is the following error message: " A System error has occurred while processing your request. Please try again. If the problem persists, contact your administrator. Home" mail.domain.com/exchange works fine though. We've installed the service pack 1 for exchange 2003 to attempt to fix this issue and are having the same results. Does anyone care to share how they may have overcome this exchange problem with their compatible PDAs and Exchange's OMA (Outlook Mobile Access...

DB Mail is is not working. Need help please.
I have try stop and start the db mail by executing the SPs below but no luck. Does anyone has seem the error below and how to fix it. Thanks in advance for your advise/help. --steps USE msdb; go EXECute sysmail_stop_sp; go EXECute sysmail_start_sp; go EXECute sysmail_help_queue_sp @queue_type = 'Mail'; go queue_type length state last_empty_rowset_time last_activated_time ---------- ----------- ---------------------------------------------------------------- ----------------------- ------------...

SQL Server Reporting Services Reports in Access
Using Access 2007 and SQL Server 2008. Is there a way to display SQL Server Reporting Services reports in Access 2007? If so, links to documentation/examples would be appreciated. -- AG Email: npATadhdataDOTcom Hi AG, No,there is no compatible interface for converting SSRS report to Access 2007 now.You may consider first export your SSRS report to an Excel file and then embed an OLE object "Microsoft Office Excel 97-2003 Worksheet". If you only need the data, you can directly import data from Excel to your Access database. Best regards, Charles Wa...

please recommend a voicemail software?
Hi all, I am wondering for productivity, which software is the best software that can record a voicemail and send it in email out to the recipient? I did not find this feature in Outlook 2003, I also checked OneNote, it can allow recording, but does not have a "send to recipient" feature; I have tried sticky note, it allows for recording, but does not have a button for sending it as an attachment of an email... Which is the best software of doing this in a fastest way without too many copy&paste and mouse clicks...? I hope the whole process can be streamlined and if it ...

XML extension cause file download loop
All, Suddenly. When I click on an XML file expecting it to open in IE, it begins the file download screen, then attempts to open IE. These 2 screens flash in an endless loop. What's up with that??? Any ideas are welcome! Thanks -- Mike Gasperino Sr. Software Developer office: 919-807-2310 Helpdesk: (919)807-2300 doa.helpdesk@ncmail.net **************************************************************************** E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law "NCGS.Ch.132" and may be disclosed to third parties *****...

How to export exchange global address book to WAB file?
I would like to export exchange address book to outlook express address book. How to export exchange global address book to WAB file? Mesak wrote: > I would like to export exchange address book to outlook express > address book. How to export exchange global address book to WAB file? I don't know about wab files, but see if http://www.slipstick.com/exs/portagal.htm helps at all. ...

xml & script languages
I need some literature of integration of XML with script language! Any links? Thanks! mgalesic wrote: > I need some literature of integration of XML with script language! Wich script language? Do you want to use it on the Server (PHP, JSP, ASP, ASP.NET, Perl, Ruby,...) or on the Client (JavaScript & XmlDOM)? -- Pascal Schmitt Pascal Schmitt wrote: > mgalesic wrote: > >> I need some literature of integration of XML with script language! > > > Wich script language? > > Do you want to use it on the Server (PHP, JSP, ASP, ASP.NET, Perl, > Ruby,.....

endnotes on new page
Is there a way to put all the endnotes together on a new page? I've tried inserting a page break in the endnote separator and tried setting the endnote separator to start on a new page, but those methods didn't work. Thanks. -- ~ Janet Insert a page break before the endnote separator. -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Janet S" <JanetS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C...

New Windows Tempalte LIbrary (WTL) 7.1 released
This version provides full support for Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Windows XP and CE. Download links: http://wtl.50megs.com/wtl.htm > This version provides full support for Visual Studio .NET 2003 and Windows > XP and CE. > > Download links: > http://wtl.50megs.com/wtl.htm Wow - intersting way to promote your politicala agenda. Back on topic.. has anyone ever written documentation for WTL? One of the beefs I had about it when tring to use it 3 years ago was the utter lack of documentation. -- Jim Johnson ...

New to Money 2006
I was using Money 2004 and upgraded it to 2006 last night (God only knows, why :)). I started to hate the idea of Passport and Web Publishing my account details and so did not choose the Passport option. I was able to install with regular Money stand alone password and still update all my accounts by downloading them from the respective financial institutions (as I used to do with 2004). The problem is with MBNA America. I want to download the credit card transactions. But the online setup process is asking me for passport setup. I looked at the description of this bank on Microsoft site...

Best C# Book for VBA Programmers
I have been developing in Excel/VBA/SQL for 10+ years and have a little VB.NET. I have a pretty good - but certainly not great - understanding of OOD & OOP. I want to get into C# as more and more Jobs that I'm interested in are looking for +/or expecting it but I have zero knowledge of C of any flavour. Given my background I would value all your thoughts on which is the best book(s) to buy. Or are there some ace WebSites / Parts of MSDN that I could use to achieve the same end? Thanks in advance Chris I would reccomend learning a non-microsoft language. Microsoft has proven time...

How to create an XML document with XmlTextWriter?
Hi, I'm trying to create an XML document with XMLTextWriter but I want to store it in memory (not write it to a file like so many examples do). I tried the following but with no luck. Should I not user this object for this purpose? Thanks, Dave MemoryStream stm = new MemoryStream() XmlTextWriter writer = new XmlTextWriter(stm, System.Text.Encoding.UTF8) writer.WriteStartDocument() writer.WriteComment("This Is A List of My Books") writer.WriteStartElement("MyBooks") writer.WriteStartElement("Book") writer.WriteAttributeString("ISBN", "1861005...

Microsoft
Microsoft - ARE YOU LISTENING? 1/2. PLEASE DO THIS!!!!! You need to display a flag when the "Process thru EDC" box is not checked. Inform the cashier that the transaction is not being processed; do they want to continue? Look on the newsgroups to see how many retailers have lost credit card revenue because this box was not checked and not discovered until much later. Since all the card numbers are masked (as they should be) there is not a chance that we can recoup these losses. Yes, this did happen to me; and yes, I lost a lot of money. 1. Please make all input fields co...

1:N relationships with Service Activity
Hi, I have a scenario that can be summarized into the following: 1. Appointment is made with a client. 2. some services and products are delivered to the client. 3. multiple invoices could be created for the services & products used/delivered during the appointment. Since i needed the scheduling capabilities i thought Initially of using the service activity as the centralized entity to manage the appointments and link the invoices and the services/products list to the service activity in a 1:N relationship. The problem with service activity is that it doesn't allow for custom 1:...

Installing Office 2007 on new laptop
I tried to install Office 2007 on my new laptop which came with the 60 day free trial of Office 2007. After the disk has been installed and I click on the icon to open the program I get an error message that says something like "You are unable to sign in because the server is unavailable". I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling several times and get the same result. This was a disk purchased as a student/instructor disk and has never been used before. On 3/21/2010 11:28 AM, Linda wrote: > I tried to install Office 2007 on my new laptop which came with the 60 ...

Moving Exchange 2003 to new Hardware #2
I'm in the middle of my main server move.. this server is Primary Domain Controller, exchange 2003 server, DNS and DHCP hosts, AntiVirus (Symantec), and print server. This is on a Win2k3 sp 1 OS. I've moved Symantec first, that was easy. Now I'm moving Exchange 2003 - I've installed Exchange, both servers are now running the same version and I see both in the EMS. I've started to set the public folders to replicate from my oldserver to newserver.. The public folders replicated twice, and now stopped.. they are out of sync (I think this is related to a problem I'l...

using domain account for Exch2003 services
In Chapter 3 of the MS Press Training Kit "Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003", there are instructions for changing the Exchange Services to run under a domain account (with appropriate group memberships and rights) rather than the default Local System account for security & auditing purposes. However, I could not start the services after making the change and reviewed several articles stating that only the Local System account will work - KB Articles 271920, 239762, etc. Is the training kit wrong, or is there a way to do this? thanks in advance, Art ...

can I create a new resume?
I would like to create a new resume. Can you help? This is the Microsoft Excel newsgroup. I am unaware of any newsgroup that provides help with resumes, but perhaps you intended to post in the Microsoft Word newsgroup, in which case, this tutorial may help you: http://www.officearticles.com/tutorials/write_your_resume_in_microsoft_word.htm ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "in need of help." <in need of help.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4245D9F3-C5CF-4C64-A70F-E8930F899954@microsoft.com... >I would like to create a new resume. Can you he...

How do I move Outlook Express Mail folders to new computer.
I am upgrading to a new computer. Both computers use Outlook Express 6.0. How can I move some of my mail folders to my new computer? Hi, Mike - This is a group to support Outlook from the Office group of programs. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer and is a quite different program, despite its similar name.. You will probably get a faster and more expert answer if you post this to an Outlook Express news group. Try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie55.outlookexpress...

Anyone using Customer Service only, for Helpdesk?
Hi, We're pretty much a microsoft shop (all MS servers, Great Plains etc) and were wondering about using MSCRM for the general IT helpdesk - 6 tech staff covering 375 users. Is that a good idea? Too expensive on licences? Too "big" for just that? Just wanted some opinions. Many Thanks, Daniel. I don't think from a help desk standpoint it fits well. At least an internal IT help desk. "Daniel" <dbremner@nospam.nelson-bakewell.com> wrote in message news:ela50rkxDHA.2136@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > We're pretty much a microsoft shop (a...

New Investment won't sync in Pocket PC
I've added a new investment in my desktop file but in the sync options, only the original 3 are being syncronized. Is there a way to force it to re-read the entire file. I've tried deleting the data on the mobile and I've tried uninstalling to reinstall but it keeps track of the old transactions and won't do a full sync. Which version of the client are you using? Have you looked at the readme file for it? -- Michael Gordon MVP "Patrick" <Patrick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5BA3044D-D24A-448C-8DB5-0718E55A18FD@microsoft.com... &g...