Learning XPath Query Language Resource Material/Books/White Papers

I am a total beginner to XPath and using Native .NET XML Classes (although I
have used XML with Datasets before). I have "XML for ASP.NET Developers"
which seems like a good .Net XML overview book but would like to learn more
about writing XPath Queries.

What do I need to learn the XPath Language?

Thanks

Earl

0
earlt777 (9)

http://www.zvon.org/xxl/XPathTutorial/General/examples.html

"Earl Teigrob" <earlt777@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I am a total beginner to XPath and using Native .NET XML Classes (although
> have used XML with Datasets before). I have "XML for ASP.NET Developers"
> which seems like a good .Net XML overview book but would like to learn
more
> about writing XPath Queries.
>
> What do I need to learn the XPath Language?
>
> Thanks
>
> Earl

0
dareo (72)

running query
Hello, I was trying to create a chunk of code like follows: Dim qry As DAO.QueryDef 'the actual query to be generated Dim qryName As String 'the name given to the query sql = "SELECT * INTO AppendAllFields FROM [some table];" Set qry = db.CreateQueryDef(qryName, sql) DoCmd.OpenQuery (qryName) where qryname is alr. defined. When I wronf it, it kept giving me the error on the DoCmd line saying that runtime error 3001, invalid argument.... Anyone could help? Thanks! On 27 Apr 2007 11:09:43 -0700, azhu.uwaterloo@gmail.com wrote: >Hello, >I was trying to create a ch...

Import Address Book (WAB file) to contacts of outlook 2003
Greetings I have newly started to use Outlook 2003 and need to import my address book data to its contacts. How can I import it? I tried import/export of Outlook 2003 but surprisingly I didn't find any option for WAB files. Thanks in advance Assuming that the Windows Address Book is configured to use your *.wab, you can do this one of two ways. Method 1 * Start Outlook 2003 * Select File | Import and Export | Import Internet Mail and addresses * Follow the wizard at this point Method 2 * Start the Windows Address Book * Export your items to a CSV file * Import the CSV file into Outlo...

MFC resources
Hi, Is there a way to mark an executable (mfc app) in such a way that no tool can easily edit the resources? As it is I can just use vs.net 2005 to open the .exe file and then I can not only see all the resources, but I can also change them. There has to be a way to just tell the compiler or the linker to include them in such a form so they cannot be edited? Thanks, G. You could build some sort of checksum into your code based on the resources and check that at runtime. It would make starting up a little more time consuming, but ... I think if a user modifies the...

exchange 2003 admin books
is there anyone who knows a very good book on administering exchange 2003? pls submit the details to me. i want to buy. kigunda. "Kigunda Mbogo" <tkigunda@avu.org> wrote: >is there anyone who knows a very good book on administering exchange 2003? > >pls submit the details to me. i want to buy. > >kigunda. > One of the Exchange blogs has got a feed down the right hand side with a pile of books listed. http://hellomate.typepad.com/ Mark Arnold MCSA MCSE+M MVP, mark@mvps.org FAQ: http://www.swinc.com/resource/exchange.htm & http:http://www.swinc.com...

CrossTab Query that shows original data (text)
I am a scheduler and would like to build a pivot table in Excel or a Cross Tab Query in Access that shows the data in its original form (text) instead of calculating the count, sum, avg., etc. Row headings would have member’s names. Column headings would have times. Data items would be the name of the assignment. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Jim G You can use a text field for the Value of a crosstab with FIRST or LAST or MIN or MAX. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP If I have helped you, please help me by donating to UCP http://www.access.hookom.net/UCP/Default.h...

crosstab query question 01-26-08
I'm using A 2000. I've created a crosstab query that finds data based on a date range that I supply just before opening it. The query will add or remove columns depending on that date range, and it will label the top of the column with the appropriate dates.The query works perfectly. One of the fields in the query is a UserName. I want to be able to double click the Username, and have it open a form and go to that Username's record. Of course, queries don't have events like a form does. So I don't see any way to open my filtered form from a record in the query. If I base...

Query of External Data
I'm using a ODBC connection to query a oracle database. If I refresh a query and email the file to the intended recipients, I can limit what they can see by changing the query to include/exclude certaing markets. Is there a way that I can set up the query so the recipient cannot edit the query and have access to all the data...? Or is there a way to disconnect the query from the excel file, this way the query could never be refreshed to the database. We could email them the file daily, but they wouldn't be able to refresh or change the query(to view markets they normally ...

White Cross Pointer
When I open Excell 2003, the blank worksheet has a white cross cell pointer at upper left. If I move it via mouse, it lays out a cell block and I cannot get out of the cell area to the toolbars. What happened and how do I get out of it? Thanks. This might be of some interest http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/ghosting.txt -- For everyone's benefit keep the discussion in the newsgroup. Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Earl" <emaloney@aol.com> wrote in message news:9BC0421B-0AA1-45BC-8E33-67A44DF4E774@microsoft.com... > When I open Excell 2003, the blank worksheet has a...

XmlNamespaceManager, default namespaces, nested qualified namespace, xpath problem.
Hi, I can't for the life of me get this to work properly. I've searched for examples, but none of the examples quite match my environment. Here is my XML (please treat this as immutable -- no solutions involving altering the XML are good for me): ---- config.xml ---- <Configuration xmlns="urn:server:schemas:configuration" xmlns:f="urn:server:schemas:faq"> <version version="0.0.0001"> <f:faq> <f:section>Default</f:section> <f:item> <f:q>What is the mean...

no option for "custom" paper size
Hi! My problem is that I can no longer specify a specific paper size with Office XP, which I find possible in other computers with XP. Mine just doesn't have a "custom" option for paper size. I need to adjust paper size to 8.5" (width) by 5.5" (length) continuous paper with Epson LX-300+ dot matrix printer. I've done all sorts of driver upgrades but to no avail. Thanks... This is a function of the printer/print driver. If yours doesn't support it, then you can't do it. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy chris <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

Autocorrect language
I have this problem with Word, which I'm convinced is possessed by a demon. My autocorrect language is set to UK and I mean it doesn't matter which version of Word I use. I have tried 2000, 2003, and the trial version of 2007. I believe this is why I have problems with my autocorrect entries disappearing, that's my thought anyway. I have completely uninstalled every time I install a new version, but it is stila lways set to UK and this is on three completely different computers as well. Any idea would be sooooo appreciated, thanks! What would you like it to be ...

Sort order on Account Name in Nordic Languages
My client has an english version of Ms CRM 1.2 installed. The problem is that in Sweden we have three letters Å, Ä and Ö and usually, in other Microsoft programs, sorting in no problem, but in Ms CRM 1.2 it doesn't work. Å, Ä and Ö is treated as A and O. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this? -- /Inger This should be handled by the collation set in SQL. Problem is, I don't think you can change this after SQL has been isntalled. I also do not know if you can change it on the existing DB or not. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Inger Li...

INSERT / UPDATE Query in same operation
Hi This is a backend database for .NET application Table1 is a linked table to a text file on the network, which is updated from an ERP system. Table2 is the table my application uses when the PC is offline. I want to update Table2 with Table1 on those rows who exist in both tables, and insert the new rows from Table1 into Table2, in the same SQL call. Is it possible at all? Regards JensB No. However you could put both queries in a macro or code and they would run so fast that you wouldn't know the difference. You could even Set Warnings off before the first quer...

SSRS 2008 report properties code window language support
In the report properties code window, does SSRS support C# or VB only? Thanks G ...

invalid xpath expression in xslt
Hello, I get an error in my xslt document using vs.net 2005 and Xml Spy. Any help is greatly appreciated! ================ Error: ================ {"'$Field/name()' is an invalid XPath expression."} ============== XSLT: ============== <xsl:template name="RecursiveBuildFromClause"> <xsl:param name="CurrentNodePosition"></xsl:param> <xsl:variable name="Field" select="/Search/*[$CurrentNodePosition]" /> Name of the node: <xsl:value-of select="$Field/name()" /> .....blah blah blah....

Good Javascript for MS CRM book
Whats the best reference book to get for teh JavaScript side of CRM? I can see lot's of web javascript stuff but suspect the CRM side is a little different. Maybe a JavaScript bible then a smaller tomb to deal with the CRM specifics? Do such things exist? Hi Pat, Check out David Flanagans book on Javascript. You will also find lots of good stuff on the SDK documentation. Check out the CRM developer forum too. Regs, -- Peter Clements Certified Microsoft Dynamics CRM Professional Capgemini UK "Pat Horridge" wrote: > Whats the best reference book to get for teh JavaScr...

Weird report behaviour with greek language support
Scenario: - Main report basing on a query that has general info and sums of some fields. - two embedded reports that show the details depending on linked fields *** - each subreport runs fine on itself - main report runs fine on an english or german system BUT: - main report (only) asks for parameters if run on an english system that has greek language support enabled. And it asks for parameters (Forms!Date!xyz) and the linked fields for the subreports. The Form is open in the background, no parameters are defined in any related query, nor any related query contains a field nor ...

Importing Netscape address book into Exchange/Outlook
I have a Netscape address book (the file extensionis .na2) that I need to import into Outlook/Exchange. Does anyone know of a tool to import it, or convert it? It doesn't appear to be a native option in Outlook. Thanks, Brian Try to solution in this article. Once you get it to OE you should be able to get it to Outlook. OLEXP: Unable to Import Netscape 4.6x Address Book in Outlook Express http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=238892 -- Hope that helps, Dan Townsend This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Please do not send email to this a...

Vlookup or something more? Trying to make the book intuitive...
Hi there, I hope you can help. I’m trying to make my life much easier by making a currently unwieldy spreadsheet into one that’s a lot more intuitive. Currently I have to enter data twice into the same spreadsheet but I hope to be able to enter it once and have the other sheets automatically update. First, the explanation… This is a spreadsheet that tracks the holidays of a department of 20 people. Currently it fulfils a few functions. First, it tracks each individual on their own worksheet which goes into details (date began/ended, etc). Second, it tracks them all together on an...

ISV.config query
Hi, Im not a programmer and have limited experience with coding etc. However I wish to add a button to the account page/form via the isv config file. I want this button to get the website address of the company from the form and then use it to open the company website in a new window. Could anyone give me an indication of how to do this or even a sample bit of code...? This would be very helpful Thanks in advance Hi, The easiest way is probably for you to take a look in the isv.config file and just copy and paste. The test.gif and the url is just an example! Here is an example of...

Unable to bring back all results from table with query
For a uni assignment we have a designated query that we have to create. But when I run the query, I get one result returned to me. I should have two returned to me, as I have two records in the Problem table. The SQL is:- SELECT Problem.[Problem Number], User.[User ID], User.[User Name], User.[Job Title], User.Email, User.[Telephone No], Asset.[Asset Code No], Problem.[Problem Description], Problem.[Current Activity Log], Problem.[Solution Description] FROM [User] INNER JOIN ((Asset INNER JOIN Problem ON Asset.[Asset Code No] = Problem.[Asset Code No]) INNER JOIN [Contact Log]...

get value from a query /set a variable for a report
I put this question in the forms area -- it is a form/report problem. - don't mean to double post, but I should have put it in this area instead. sorry! hello, I have a report that shows the detail for 3 different values of a field named "TransType": (values: pmt, adj, act). The name, date, and TransType fields are set via a form. In the report, I want the detail to show for the chosen TransType(s), name, and date. AND I want a total of the "ADJ" records for the specified name and date to show in a field in the footer. strDocName = "Sales for 1 month&...

Auto Accept won't work for single resource
Hi, I have about 25 "resources" in my org and they all work fine through the auto accept script. Today, I'd like to add a resource that completely allows for duplicate entries into the calendar. I thought this would do it but it seems that I am still getting denied when overlaps in scheduling occur. I'd just like this resource to accept everything (yes, even overlapping appointments). I've checked all of the addressing and everything is correct and gone through what the global vs. mailbox settings are and I beilieve I've captured everything. Here is my X...

SQL
Hello there, Are there good resource documents on the web somewhere providing a very good rundown of what relational DB's are, how they are used, tables/constraints/relations/etc, all the usual conceptual suspects, in roughly 100 pages or less? A friend sort of inherited a small scale DB without prior knowledge and is unfortunately tasked with coming up to steam very rapidly :). I'm hoping there is a good document somewhere to help him. Thanks for any thoughts and your time, Joseph Bittman MSCD .Net, Former DPM MVP Tried Google? Or g...

How to add fotnotes to a book in Publisher
Please, Can somebody tell me how to add footnotes and endnotes to a document in Publisher 2003? I am trying to edit a book in Publisher and when I import Word documents with footnotes and endnotes, they disappear in the publisher file. How to instruct Publisher to manage these features? Thank you for your help. LLL Publisher doesn't support footnotes. Word may be a better option. -- Don Vancouver, USA "Lyonel L" <lyonNSM_laviolette@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uvix4YE1EHA.2196@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Please, > Can somebody tell me how to add footnotes...