Exporting from XMLReader to an XML file

Hello,

I have an XmlReader object containg some Xml code. I would like to export
this document from the reader to an Xml file.

How to do this?

Thanks for any hints,
Leszek Taratuta

Below there is the code I'm using:
string myXmlQuery = "SELECT 1 AS Tag, NULL AS Parent, [Filename] AS
[Content!1!Filename!element], [Caption] AS [Content!1!Caption!element],
[Content] AS [Content!1!!CDATA] FROM Content FOR XML EXPLICIT";

SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection("data
source=WEBSERVER;database=myDB;user id=;password=);

try

{

myConnection.Open();

SqlCommand myCommand = new SqlCommand(myXmlQuery, myConnection);

System.Xml.XmlReader myXmlReader = myCommand.ExecuteXmlReader();

string output="";

output = "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\"?>";

output += "<Contents>";

while (myXmlReader.Read())

{

string tmp = "";

// ERROR: It does not generate the closing tag!

if (myXmlReader.Name != "") tmp += "<"+myXmlReader.Name+">";

if (myXmlReader.Value != "") tmp += myXmlReader.Value;

output += tmp;

}

output += "</Contents>";

myConnection.Close();

if (myXmlReader != null) myXmlReader.Close();

// Save the modified XML document.

FileStream file = File.Create(@"c:\test.xml");

StreamWriter myWriter = new StreamWriter(file);

myWriter.Write(output);

myWriter.Close();

// Close the XmlReader

myXmlReader.Close();

}

catch(Exception exc)

{

MessageBox.Show(exc.ToString()+"\n\n"+exc.GetType());

}

finally

{

myConnection.Close();

}

0
Leszek

Leszek wrote:

> I have an XmlReader object containg some Xml code. I would like to export
> this document from the reader to an Xml file.
>
> How to do this?

Using XmltexWriter obviously.

XmlWriter w = new XmlTextWriter("foo.xml", Encoding.UTF8);
reader.MoveToContent();
w.WriteNode(reader);
w.Close();

> output = "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\"?>";

Oh, please, don't use this technique. It's year 2003 today, not 1999.
Always use XML classes (e.g. XmlTextWriter) to produce XML.
--
Oleg Tkachenko
XmlInsider

// The following query generates a bunch of <Content> elements witout a root
wrapper!
+
                          "    [Caption] AS [Content!1!Caption!element], " +
                          "    [Content] AS [Content!1!!CDATA]  " +
                          "FROM Content " +
                          "WHERE IsRemoved=0 " +
                          "FOR XML EXPLICIT;" +

      // Create a new connection to a SQL Srv database
      SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection("...");

      try
      {
        myConnection.Open();

        // Generate XML code. Put the code into the reader.
        SqlCommand myCommand = new SqlCommand(myXmlQuery, myConnection);
        System.Xml.XmlReader reader = myCommand.ExecuteXmlReader();

        // Write XML code to an output file (only the first <Content>element
is written)
        System.Xml.XmlTextWriter writer = new
System.Xml.XmlTextWriter(@"c:\test.xml", Encoding.UTF8);
        reader.MoveToContent();
        writer.WriteNode(reader, false);

        // Close
        reader.Close();
        writer.Close();
      }
      catch(Exception exc)
      {
        // O kurcze, something went wrong
        MessageBox.Show(exc.ToString()+"\n\n"+exc.GetType());
      }
      finally
      {
        myConnection.Close();
      }

I would appreciate any help.
Thanks,

Leszek Taratuta

"Oleg Tkachenko" <oleg@NO!SPAM!PLEASEtkachenko.com> wrote in message
> Leszek wrote:
>
> > I have an XmlReader object containg some Xml code. I would like to
export
> > this document from the reader to an Xml file.
> >
> > How to do this?
>
> Using XmltexWriter obviously.
>
> XmlWriter w = new XmlTextWriter("foo.xml", Encoding.UTF8);
> reader.MoveToContent();
> w.WriteNode(reader);
> w.Close();
>
> > output = "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\"?>";
>
> Oh, please, don't use this technique. It's year 2003 today, not 1999.
> Always use XML classes (e.g. XmlTextWriter) to produce XML.
> --
> Oleg Tkachenko
> XmlInsider
> http://blog.tkachenko.com

0
Leszek
1/16/2004 2:52:41 PM
You could try:

writer.WriteStartElement("root");
writer.WriteRaw(reader.ReadOuterXml, false);
writer.WriteEndElement();

This should wrap your xml inside a root node.

Scott

"Leszek" <taratuta@5thbusiness.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>         myConnection.Close();
>       }
>
> I would appreciate any help.
> Thanks,
>
> Leszek Taratuta
>
> "Oleg Tkachenko" <oleg@NO!SPAM!PLEASEtkachenko.com> wrote in message
> > Leszek wrote:
> >
> > > I have an XmlReader object containg some Xml code. I would like to
> export
> > > this document from the reader to an Xml file.
> > >
> > > How to do this?
> >
> > Using XmltexWriter obviously.
> >
> > XmlWriter w = new XmlTextWriter("foo.xml", Encoding.UTF8);
> > reader.MoveToContent();
> > w.WriteNode(reader);
> > w.Close();
> >
> > > output = "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"utf-8\"?>";
> >
> > Oh, please, don't use this technique. It's year 2003 today, not 1999.
> > Always use XML classes (e.g. XmlTextWriter) to produce XML.

0
scaskey (2)
1/16/2004 6:35:08 PM
Thanks for your response.

I have tried your method but it does not work. The
writer.WriteRaw(reader.ReadOuterXml()) method does not export anything. It
seems that this is still the same problem: the XML code held by the reader
is not well-formed (there is no a root wrapper).

Does anybody have an idea how to add the root wrapper to the XML code?

Thanks,
Leszek

Below there is complete code:

      // Maybe a solution would be to generate a well-formed XML document at
first place, I mean directly from the SQL Server database instead of dealing
with XML code without a root wrapper?
      string myXmlQuery = "SELECT 1 AS Tag, " +
                          "    NULL AS Parent, " +
                          "    [Filename] AS [Content!1!Filename!element], "
+
                          "    [Caption] AS [Content!1!Caption!element], " +
                          "    [Content] AS [Content!1!!CDATA]  " +
                          "FROM Content " +
                          "FOR XML EXPLICIT";

      SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection("...");

      try
      {
        myConnection.Open();
        SqlCommand myCommand = new SqlCommand(myXmlQuery, myConnection);

        System.Xml.XmlReader reader = myCommand.ExecuteXmlReader();
        System.Xml.XmlTextWriter writer = new
System.Xml.XmlTextWriter(@"c:\test.xml", Encoding.UTF8);

        writer.WriteStartElement("Contents");
        writer.WriteRaw(reader.ReadOuterXml());  // Does not write anything
:-(
        writer.WriteEndElement();

        if (reader != null) reader.Close();
        if (writer != null) writer.Close();
      }
      catch(Exception exc)
      {

"Scott Caskey [MSFT]" <scaskey@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You could try:
>
> writer.WriteStartElement("root");
> writer.WriteRaw(reader.ReadOuterXml, false);
> writer.WriteEndElement();
>
> This should wrap your xml inside a root node.
>
> Scott

rights.
> "Leszek" <taratuta@5thbusiness.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks. It works fine, although there is another problem related to
> > obtaining well-formed XML code from the SQL database. I can't generate a
> > root wrapper for the code, so the XmlTextWriter.WriteNode() method
exports
> > only the first branch instead of the whole document.
> > Below there is code I am using:
> >
> > // The following query generates a bunch of <Content> elements witout a
> root
> > wrapper!
> > string myXmlQuery = "SELECT 1 AS Tag, " +
> >                           "    NULL AS Parent, " +
> >                           "    [Filename] AS
[Content!1!Filename!element],
> "
> > +
> >                           "    [Caption] AS [Content!1!Caption!element],
"
> +
> >                           "    [Content] AS [Content!1!!CDATA]  " +
> >                           "FROM Content " +
> >                           "WHERE IsRemoved=0 " +
> >                           "FOR XML EXPLICIT;" +
> >
> >       // Create a new connection to a SQL Srv database
> >       SqlConnection myConnection = new SqlConnection("...");
> >
> >       try
> >       {
> >         myConnection.Open();
> >
> >         // Generate XML code. Put the code into the reader.
> >         SqlCommand myCommand = new SqlCommand(myXmlQuery, myConnection);
> >         System.Xml.XmlReader reader = myCommand.ExecuteXmlReader();
> >
> >         // Write XML code to an output file (only the first
> <Content>element
> > is written)
> >         System.Xml.XmlTextWriter writer = new
> > System.Xml.XmlTextWriter(@"c:\test.xml", Encoding.UTF8);
> >         reader.MoveToContent();
> >         writer.WriteNode(reader, false);
> >
> >         // Close
> >         reader.Close();
> >         writer.Close();
> >       }
> >       catch(Exception exc)
> >       {
> >         // O kurcze, something went wrong
> >         MessageBox.Show(exc.ToString()+"\n\n"+exc.GetType());
> >       }
> >       finally
> >       {
> >         myConnection.Close();
> >       }
> >
> > I would appreciate any help.
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Leszek Taratuta
> >
> > "Oleg Tkachenko" <oleg@NO!SPAM!PLEASEtkachenko.com> wrote in message

> > export

> > > Using XmltexWriter obviously.
> > >
> > > XmlWriter w = new XmlTextWriter("foo.xml", Encoding.UTF8);
> > > reader.MoveToContent();
> > > w.WriteNode(reader);
> > > w.Close();

> > > Oh, please, don't use this technique. It's year 2003 today, not 1999.
> > > Always use XML classes (e.g. XmlTextWriter) to produce XML.
> > > --
> > > Oleg Tkachenko
> > > XmlInsider
> > > http://blog.tkachenko.com

0
Leszek
1/16/2004 7:07:52 PM
Leszek wrote:

> Thanks. It works fine, although there is another problem related to
> obtaining well-formed XML code from the SQL database. I can't generate a
> root wrapper for the code, so the XmlTextWriter.WriteNode() method exports
> only the first branch instead of the whole document.

So loop over all top-level elements then:

XmlWriter w = new XmlTextWriter("foo.xml", Encoding.UTF8);
reader.MoveToContent();
while(reader.Read())
     w.WriteNode(reader);

--
Oleg Tkachenko
http://www.tkachenko.com/blog

I do not understand it at all so in the meantime I exported the XML code
from SQL Server using an ugly solution: traversing all records and creating
XML tags in-fly then saving them to a text file.

Leszek

> Leszek wrote:
>
> > Thanks. It works fine, although there is another problem related to
> > obtaining well-formed XML code from the SQL database. I can't generate a
> > root wrapper for the code, so the XmlTextWriter.WriteNode() method
exports
> > only the first branch instead of the whole document.
>
> So loop over all top-level elements then:
>
> XmlWriter w = new XmlTextWriter("foo.xml", Encoding.UTF8);
> reader.MoveToContent();
> while(reader.Read())
>      w.WriteNode(reader);
>
> --
> Oleg Tkachenko
> http://www.tkachenko.com/blog
> Multiconn Technologies, Israel

0
Leszek
1/19/2004 9:27:15 PM
Leszek wrote:

> I still have some problems with well-formed XML. I generated a root wrapper
> straight from SQL Server but now the XmlReader does not accept two
> characters although they are within CDATA block: 'and -.
That sounds weird. Show us some sample.

> I do not understand it at all so in the meantime I exported the XML code
> from SQL Server using an ugly solution: traversing all records and creating
> XML tags in-fly then saving them to a text file.
Really bad one :( But you still can use XmlWriter to build XML,
otherwise prepare to learn complete details of hardcore XML syntax.
--
Oleg Tkachenko
XmlInsider

FRx 6.7: Accounts Not Displaying In Row File
I have successfully created Financial Statements for two of our three companies. However, I’m having a problem with the third one. In creating the row file, I specify a range from account 30000 through 99999. Most accounts show up in the list. Some don’t. The following account string will be my example of an existing account, with a balance, that does not show up in the row file: 00000-30035-00000 (30035 is the main account) If I manually insert a row into the row file, type in the description, and click the down arrow for the GL Link, the account does not display in the drop down. Ho...

Private EDB file
Hi, I am working with a client that has SBS2003 and is using Exchange 2003. There are 14 mailboxes with a total size of 4.5GB. When I look at the file size of the private edb, it is at 17GB. Why is there such a discrepancy and what can I do to shrink the size of the edb, so that I don't run into size limit problems. Thanks, Tom you need to perform offline defragmentation on the databases to also take a look at this site for updates SBS http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/sbs/downloads/presp1.mspx http://consultusa.us/index.php?itemid=19 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/192...

export email address'
Greetings, Any one know of a way to export email adress' of my customers? Seems that RMS can export limited info. JVM You can either modify the customer list report yourself and add Email as another column or download the Customer List with Email Address from the CusotmerSource Reports Library. http://tinyurl.com/ntuz8 Rob "lax guy" <lax guy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF3E34A9-1721-4A91-9792-4D6D8A68AC8C@microsoft.com... > Greetings, > Any one know of a way to export email adress' of my customers? > Seems that RMS can export limited ...

Transferring files #4
I have re-installed all my software on a new hard disk. (The old hard disk still installed and working). How do I transfer my diary from my old disk to my new disk please? Thanks. Bill Ridgeway Hi Bill, maybe this sites could help: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.slipstick.com/config/movepst.htm -- Oliver Vukovics Share Outlook without Exchange: Public ShareFolder Share your contacts, calendars or e-mails http://www.publicshareware.com "Bill Ridgeway" <info@1001solutions.co.uk> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:edlvnj$9gr$1@news8.svr.pol.co.uk... &g...

Suppress "Missing XML comment" warning during compile?
I use XML comments around most of my class libraries public property and methods, for example: /// <summary> /// blah blah /// </summary> However I have a few dozen public constants as well as a few properties and methods that I do not want to provide any XML comments for. This generates errors like this: page3.cs(43,25): warning CS1591: Missing XML comment for publicly visible type or member 'test.testclass.constants.CONST_RECNOW' Is there a way I can have the .NET complier (C#) suppress these warnings? Ideally I'd like to indicate somehow in the source that these ...

Importing .VCS file
When I attempt to import a .VCS file created by Lotus Organizer 6.0 Outlook gives me an error message stating that I do not have the rights to import such a file. I was able to import one calendar event that was saved as a .VCS file. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. ...

Merging text files with excel
Hello All. How can I merge several text files with the same format into one Excel sheet in one go ? I am importing them singly but it would be much better to merge them together before opening. Many thanks for any help ! Maybe you can use some old DOS commands. Shell to a command prompt and issue an old DOS command to concatenate the Text files. Windows start button|Run (or flying windows r as a shortcut!) win98: Command WinXP/NT: CMD Go to that folder: C: (to change to that drive) cd\myfolder1\myfolder2\myfolder3 to change to that folder copy *.txt All.Files Ren All.Files All....

trouble sending large files
I am having trouble in outlook express 6 sending large files. When I say large I mean a half meg or larger. The send bar will go to about 99% and then just stay idle at that point. Eventually I get an error message that says it has stopped responding and asks what I would like to do. Continue trying or stop. No matter which I pick it stays the same. Then I find out it sends multiple copies for each time I try to stop it. This can be very annoying to my friends who have a dial-up. Any suggestions? Are your using a dialup or broadband (cable/dsl) account? If broadband, are you behind a...

Bulk Extract Embedded Files
Word 2003 on XP Is there a way to extract embedded files all in one go? Like the image file extraction process described in http://www.gmayor.com/extract_images_from_word.htm but for embedded files? Many thanks DeanH Found the following for extracting embedded word files. Haven't tried it though. Sub ExtractFiles() ' ' ExtractFiles Macro ' ' Dim shape As InlineShape Dim folderName As String Dim a As Document folderName = Replace(ThisDocument.Name, ".", "_") MkDir folderName For Each shape In ThisDocument.InlineShapes ...

Problem importing data from text file
Hi, I have a comma delimited file that has twenty column names followed by six rows of data. I am trying to import this into Excel. When I do this, the data imports entirely into row one. It does import into difference cells but there is one row with 120 cells of data. I was expecting it two "Wrap" and start importing the data into cell A2. Can anyone help with this? How do I show the break between column headers and data? Thanks, Chuck ...

convert money plus files into money 2007
I downloaded the new trailversion of money Plus. Now I do not like the new version of money Plus . I had money 2007, but now I cannot convert my money files from the Money plus version into the Money 2007 version. What can I do? When you converted your M2007 file to M+ there was a screen message telling you that it had made a backup. You *of course* made a note of this!?!? If you didn't go and look for a file *.m16. Rename this as *.mny and reinstall M2007. Of course you will have to reinput all transactions since the conversion. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money F...

Shared file doesn't share
We have a shared file that now gives us a message that someone else is in the file and do we want to open as read only. Anybody know what might cause this? Well... YOu can set the file to read-only by right clicking on the file and choose the properties dialog box to avoi getting this error message. THis will prevent you from modifying the file kanan ...

How do I create a pdf or txt file?
I need to get my word files that save as (.doc) to a (.txt or .pdf) file. Is there anyway to do that without the software? This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01CA7C42.604BDA30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="Windows-1252" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hi Deana, This newsgroup is specifically for matters dealing with Microsoft = Project. I suggest you try to find a more appropriate newsgroup that = deals with Word problems. However, from the Save As... dialog, at the bottom is Type selection = which should ha...

Intermitent file problem?
Running Outlook 2003 and from time to time the frame with the Inbox list of emails and viewing pane will be blank with an error message stating the system is busy and that perhaps something else has it tied up. How can I debug and fix? ...

How do I delete excess pages from a file?
I'm sending a file that I only need one page in, but the recipient has told me that it has 1700 pages. I'm using Excel and sending with outlook. What does the file look like from your end? Has it got 1,700 pages or just one? "deejai03" wrote: > I'm sending a file that I only need one page in, but the recipient has told > me that it has 1700 pages. I'm using Excel and sending with outlook. In Excel jargon a File is a workbook. A workbook can have multiple worksheets. A worksheet can have multiple pages when printed. What exactly is the...

can only see one page of a multiple page publisher file
today can only see the first page of a file in publisher....checked the attributes removed the read only....could not remove from overall i.e. my documents...can pull up on another computer via network and see all....so file appears to be okay...can also print all pages, but can only see and work with page one...HELP.....AND A BIG THANKS TO WHOMEVER!!!! What happens when you try to click on the other pages? Do you have the status bar turned on? (View - Status bar) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "CON" <CON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

File format is invalid
I have a file that I update and save daily. yesterday when I went t open it I got the following message: File Format Not Valid. This pop up in middle of the screen. the only option it gives me is a butto that says OK. I have tried to recover an old version of the file usin the windows recovery tool but I keep this file on an external driv which it does not recover. Any help with how to get this file bac would be greatly appreciated. Pau -- pserra ----------------------------------------------------------------------- pserra2's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=ge...

"select folder to export from": No folder to select
I cannot see any folder to select in the window "Select folder to export from", when trying to export contacts per the steps at http://news.cnet.com/8301-13880_3-10017934-68.html , Also, I cannot click or browse to any folder outside that window either. Any ideas of what to try next, or of the reasons why i can't replicate the steps that others seem able to do? You'll need to provide at least some information. A minimum would include: 1. Outlook version 2. Information store (if you don't know then state your mail account type) 3. Precise you steps you used ...

can't save files in Office2001 running on OSX
I'm running Office2001 for mac on my OSX system through OS9. The applications work fine until I try to save. "Save", "Save As", and "Save as Web Page" all make the windows blink as if it's going to do something, but then nothing else happens--no save window, no files on my hard drive. Any ideas why this might be happening, or how I can fix it? You thoughts are greatly appreciated! Jake ...

Transfer from file to document very slow
I take about 40 seconds for the document to come up on screen This also happens in Word It is impossible to provide a concrete suggestion with so little information. The slow opening of a file could be due to any and all of the following as well as many other factors. Insufficient RAM to hold the large file leads to numerous time-consuming saves to virtual memory. A virus protection program to blocking the opening of the file until it has completed a virus threat check on the file. Other applications are hogging machine resources. A potential resource hogging application may be a ...

Exchange Server 2003 SP1
I am getting them in the MDB Data directory, in the old ver of exchange server I used to delete these when I ran eseutil. Now I don't need to run eseutil for maintenance so can I still delete these text files? Names are : E00047A0 all 5,120kb, look like old outputs but are all modified today. Any advice would be welcome as they are taking up 17Gb at this stage? Run a full, online Exch aware backup to clear your trans logs. Never delete them manually. On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 12:23:02 -0800, Ciaran Magee - CPL <Ciaran Magee - CPL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am getting t...

Graphics don't show on file loaded from server
Firstly. apologies if similar posts have appeared before I've just subscribed to this group and have only downloaded 500 headers not 50000 and can see no reference in those posts to this problem. A friend who is a schoolteacher created (using publisher 2003) a document on her laptop whilst at home. At work she opened the file and then saved it to the server, on the server the file opens fine with publisher but if a student from one of the classrooms opens the file they don't get the images - only the 'anchor points' Any ideas? TIA Angus On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 14:36:38 +...

Excel Files Size has Jumped
I had a spreadsheet that was about 500K in size. Suddenly it jumped to 5M. I've traced it to a particular worksheet which is now in a standalone spreadsheet to try to isolate the problem. I've now deleted all the data (by a rows delete) so the worksheet now looks totally empty. There is no VBA, macros, pictures, etc, range names that I can see. However it still is 4.9M in size. Any idea on how to find out what's causing it and how to resolve it. Tx check here http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/ExcelProblems.htm On Oct 19, 9:14=A0pm, "RobFJ" <del**eteto**rfj1.....

How do you change the destination of "print to file" in excel xp?
Any ideas? Also, how can you view these files when they have been saved? ...

Xml feed from different site
Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer some advice on the best way to accomplish this: I have an existing asp.net app that displays products from a catalogue, data stored in access. My friend has provided an xml feed from their database so that I can incorporate their data into my app, without the need to duplicate the data. How would I go about building a feed mechanism where by I can display their data whenever a user loads my app? I would guess this is a common requirement. Many Thanks Kieran ...