Error message when retriving a string from my xml file in C#.net a

I created the following code in my C# program but it's giving me error
message at run time of :

XML.XPATH.XPATHEXCEPTION : Namespace Manager or XSLTContext needed.  This
query has a prefix, variable or user defined function.

Can someone see what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks, Alpha

private XPathDocument unityMessages = new XPathDocument("UnityMessages.xml");

unityMsgNavigator = unityMessages.CreateNavigator();

string query = @"/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[@xml:lang=""fr""]";

XPathExpression queryM1 = unityMsgNavigator.Compile(query);

m1 = (string)unityMsgNavigator.Evaluate(queryM1);

Here is part of the content from my xml file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<xliff version="1.1">
  <trans-unit id="m1">
    <source xml:lang="en-us">Error populating the children nodes of the
selected node.</source>
    <target xml:lang="fr">Translation of "Vous le vou coucher avec moi
sesua?"</target>
  </trans-unit>
</xliff>

0
Alpha3451 (5)

Alpha wrote:

> I created the following code in my C# program but it's giving me error
> message at run time of :
>
> XML.XPATH.XPATHEXCEPTION : Namespace Manager or XSLTContext needed.  This
> query has a prefix, variable or user defined function.

> string query = @"/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[@xml:lang=""fr""]";

You are using the prefix xml in the attribute name xml:lang without
using a namespace manager.
Either use a namespace manager or simply do
  string query = @"/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[lang(""fr"")]"

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

            try
            {
                unityMessages = new
XPathDocument(@"C:\PROJECTS\PPGLOBAL\UnityMessages.xml");
                unityMsgNavigator = unityMessages.CreateNavigator();

                string query =
@"/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[lang(""fr"")]";
                XPathExpression queryM1 = unityMsgNavigator.Compile(query);
                XPathNodeIterator ni =
(XPathNodeIterator)unityMsgNavigator.Evaluate(queryM1);
                while (ni.MoveNext())
                {
                    MessageBox.Show(ni.Current.ToString());
                }

This is what I have in the xml file:

"Martin Honnen" wrote:

> Alpha wrote:
>
> > I created the following code in my C# program but it's giving me error
> > message at run time of :
> >
> > XML.XPATH.XPATHEXCEPTION : Namespace Manager or XSLTContext needed.  This
> > query has a prefix, variable or user defined function.
>

> > string query = @"/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[@xml:lang=""fr""]";
>
> You are using the prefix xml in the attribute name xml:lang without
> using a namespace manager.
> Either use a namespace manager or simply do
>   string query = @"/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[lang(""fr"")]"
>
> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
Alpha3451 (5)
1/13/2006 5:54:02 PM

Alpha wrote:

>                 string query =
> @"/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[lang(""fr"")]";

> <xliff version="1.1">
>   <trans-unit id="m1">
>     <source xml:lang="en-us">Error populating the children nodes of the
> selected node.</source>
>     <target xml:lang="fr">Translation of "Vous le vou coucher avec moi
> sesua?"</target>
>   </trans-unit>
> </xliff>

You want this XPath expression (well C# string literal with an XPath
expression) then
  @"/xliff/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[lang(""fr"")]"

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

Thanks, Alpha

"Martin Honnen" wrote:

> Alpha wrote:
>

> >                 string query =
> > @"/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[lang(""fr"")]";
>

> > <xliff version="1.1">
> >   <trans-unit id="m1">
> >     <source xml:lang="en-us">Error populating the children nodes of the
> > selected node.</source>
> >     <target xml:lang="fr">Translation of "Vous le vou coucher avec moi
> > sesua?"</target>
> >   </trans-unit>
> > </xliff>
>
> You want this XPath expression (well C# string literal with an XPath
> expression) then
>   @"/xliff/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[lang(""fr"")]"
>
> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
Alpha3451 (5)
1/13/2006 7:05:02 PM

Alpha wrote:

> I just have one more
> question.  Why doesn't this line of code worked?
>                 string m1 = (string)unityMsgNavigator.Evaluate(queryM1);
> I thought the Evalute method returns the typed result but I'm getting
> messages about it can't cast the type XPathNodeIterator to string.

XPath expressions can be of four types, a string or a boolean or a
number or a node set. Most XPath expressions used evaluate to a node set
and will be treated as an XPathNodeIterator then in .NET code outside of
XPath.
If you have an XPath expression explictly returning e.g. a number for
instance
   double count = (double)navigator.Evaluate("count(//*)")
then such a cast works.
To explicity return a string you could do e.g.
  string name = (string)navigator.Evaluate("local-name(/*)")
or
  string someValue = (string)navigator.Evaluate("string(/root/element)")

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C618E3.7BB4FF20

Martin

"XPath expressions can be of four types, a string or a boolean or a=20
number or a node set."
Is that only for Xpath 1.0.
2.0 introduces support for the XML Schema primitive types, which =
immediately gives the user access to 19 simple types, including dates, =
years, months, URIs and others?

Aaron=20

"Martin Honnen" <mahotrash@yahoo.de> wrote in message =
>=20
>=20
> Alpha wrote:
>=20
> > I just have one more=20
> > question.  Why doesn't this line of code worked?
> >                 string m1 =3D =
(string)unityMsgNavigator.Evaluate(queryM1);
> > I thought the Evalute method returns the typed result but I'm =
getting=20
> > messages about it can't cast the type XPathNodeIterator to string.
>=20
> XPath expressions can be of four types, a string or a boolean or a=20
> number or a node set. Most XPath expressions used evaluate to a node =
set=20
> and will be treated as an XPathNodeIterator then in .NET code outside =
of=20
> XPath.
> If you have an XPath expression explictly returning e.g. a number for=20
> instance
>    double count =3D (double)navigator.Evaluate("count(//*)")
> then such a cast works.
> To explicity return a string you could do e.g.
>   string name =3D (string)navigator.Evaluate("local-name(/*)")
> or
>   string someValue =3D =
(string)navigator.Evaluate("string(/root/element)")
>=20
> --=20
>=20
> Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/
------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C618E3.7BB4FF20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Martin</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><EM><STRONG>"XPath expressions can be of four =
types, a=20
string or a boolean or a <BR>number or a node =
set."</STRONG></EM></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Is that only for Xpath 1.0.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>2.0 introduces support for the XML Schema =
primitive types,=20
which immediately gives the user access to 19 simple types, including =
dates,=20
years, months, URIs and others?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Aaron </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT><FONT face=3DArial =
size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Martin Honnen" &lt;</FONT><A=20
href=3D"mailto:mahotrash@yahoo.de"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>mahotrash@yahoo.de</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; =
wrote in=20
message </FONT><A =
href=3D"news:uEgrcxQGGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl"><FONT=20
face=3DArial =
size=3D2>news:uEgrcxQGGHA.1288@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl</FONT></A><FONT=20
face=3DArial size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>&gt; =
<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt;=20
Alpha wrote:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; I just have one more <BR>&gt; &gt;=20
question.&nbsp; Why doesn't this line of code worked?<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;=20
string m1 =3D (string)unityMsgNavigator.Evaluate(queryM1);<BR>&gt; &gt; =
I thought=20
the Evalute method returns the typed result but I'm getting <BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
messages about it can't cast the type XPathNodeIterator to =
string.<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; XPath expressions can be of four types, a string or a boolean =
or a=20
<BR>&gt; number or a node set. Most XPath expressions used evaluate to a =
node=20
set <BR>&gt; and will be treated as an XPathNodeIterator then in .NET =
code=20
outside of <BR>&gt; XPath.<BR>&gt; If you have an XPath expression =
explictly=20
returning e.g. a number for <BR>&gt; instance<BR>&gt; &nbsp;&nbsp; =
double count=20
=3D (double)navigator.Evaluate("count(//*)")<BR>&gt; then such a cast=20
works.<BR>&gt; To explicity return a string you could do e.g.<BR>&gt; =
&nbsp;=20
string name =3D (string)navigator.Evaluate("local-name(/*)")<BR>&gt; =
or<BR>&gt;=20
&nbsp; string someValue =3D=20
(string)navigator.Evaluate("string(/root/element)")<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; -- =
<BR>&gt;=20
<BR>&gt; Martin Honnen --- MVP XML<BR>&gt; </FONT><A=20
href=3D"http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/"><FONT face=3DArial=20
size=3D2>http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/</FONT></A></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C618E3.7BB4FF20--

0
fromtheweb (24)
1/14/2006 4:21:13 PM

Aaron wrote:

> "XPath expressions can be of four types, a string or a boolean or a
> number or a node set."
> Is that only for Xpath 1.0.

Yes, and my answer was in a post about a specific problem with using
XPath from .NET code where .NET only supports XPath 1.0 so I don't see
why it should have been more generic.

> 2.0 introduces support for the XML Schema primitive types, which
> immediately gives the user access to 19 simple types, including dates,
> years, months, URIs and others?

XPath 2.0 and its data model indeed tries to (re)use the W3C schema data
types but that does not help when using the XPath API in current .NET
versions.

--

	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

I tried the following code but I got an error message about illegal token in
the string.  I also tried the 2nd string type you suggested and got the same
error.  Can you have a look and let me know how I should correct this?

Thank you, Alpha

  string query =
@"xliff/trans-unit[@id=""m1""]/target[lang(""fr"")](/root/element)";

"Martin Honnen" wrote:

> Alpha wrote:
>
> > I just have one more
> > question.  Why doesn't this line of code worked?
> >                 string m1 = (string)unityMsgNavigator.Evaluate(queryM1);
> > I thought the Evalute method returns the typed result but I'm getting
> > messages about it can't cast the type XPathNodeIterator to string.
>
> XPath expressions can be of four types, a string or a boolean or a
> number or a node set. Most XPath expressions used evaluate to a node set
> and will be treated as an XPathNodeIterator then in .NET code outside of
> XPath.
> If you have an XPath expression explictly returning e.g. a number for
> instance
>    double count = (double)navigator.Evaluate("count(//*)")
> then such a cast works.
> To explicity return a string you could do e.g.
>   string name = (string)navigator.Evaluate("local-name(/*)")
> or
>   string someValue = (string)navigator.Evaluate("string(/root/element)")
>
> --
>
> 	Martin Honnen --- MVP XML
> 	http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

0
Alpha3451 (5)

Maximum file sizes

find action on log file

File size #11

Linking files 2 ways

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Error 550 Relaying denied

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

C-RunTime or Win32
This is a big question I always get in my mind, that Should I use C-Run Time Library functions or Win32 Functions? e.g. A simple task, open a file, if exist, open for read or open as append for write, what is its path, directory, extension, file attributes, etc. Now, all these taks, we need in our every projects, and hence I hace this question, that CRTL or Win32. Thanks for your vital views. Tom Alter wrote: > This is a big question I always get in my mind, that Should I use C-Run Time Library > functions or Win32 Functions? > e.g. A simple task, open a file, if exist, open for r...

Document Viewer installer error

Error 130

message delivery problems