Decreasing size of XMLSerilaized Payload

Does anyone have any tips/hints for reducing the size of the XML produced?

I can think of a couple:

1. Use XmlAttributeAttribute to save space
2. Used XmlIgnore for properties that are calculated rather than reference
private fields.

0
dirc (1)

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 11:49:08 -0000, Dirc wrote:

> Does anyone have any tips/hints for reducing the size of the XML produced?
>
> I can think of a couple:
>
> 1. Use XmlAttributeAttribute to save space
> 2. Used XmlIgnore for properties that are calculated rather than reference
> private fields.

XML Serialization will never be efficient as it's designed to be human
readable and self describing :/
If you want real efficiency then use a binary serializer instead. You can
save some space in the XML by choosing short tag names, but this goes
against the idea that the XML be self describing, in which case it might as
well be binary :)

Cheers,
  Jason
0
gadget1 (19)

bstr size issue
Is every char in a BSTR always 2 bytes? Does it depend on anything BSTR is defined like typedef OLECHAR* BSTR; OLECHAR is defined like typedef WCHAR OLECHAR; WCHAR is defined like typedef WORD WCHAR; WORD is defined liketypedef unsigned short WORD; unsigned short always is 2 bytes. So each BSTR element is 2 bytes. -- Rodrigo Corral Gonz�lez [MVP] microsoft.public.es.vc FAQ http://vcfaq.europe.webmatrixhosting.net anonymous@coolgroups.com wrote: >Is every char in a BSTR always 2 bytes? Does it depend on >anything My understanding is that a BSTR is always Unicode. Unicode is t...

Define the size of an Excel Chart (Office 2007)??
Hi All, I'm connecting an Excel File to SQL DB, pulling some data into a Pivot Table, create a Pivot Chart and publish it to an Excel Service in Sharepoint.... everything works fine, but I have a problem defining the size of the chart.... how can I define the size of the chart??? if I "right click" in the Chart area, under "Format Chart Area" I cannot find any property about the size or dimension... how can I do it??? thanks and sorry for the "silly" question... thanks Vit ...

Decrease inventory for Samples
I'm using POS, and need to decrease my inventory qty on hand for items I give away as samples. Any suggestions on best way to do?? Thanks! Hi Peter: We handle this one of two ways. 1. we bring in special inventory only for samples. We don't check it in and enter it directly into our book keeping software as an expense (as opposed to inventory asset) . Then we give stuff away without worrying about having to note it at the POS. 2. If it is something in our inventory already that we are handing off the shelf, we sell it for $0.00 "Peter" wrote: > I'm using PO...

Excel 97
I've a user working on a set of Excel spreadsheets. She's using Excel 97. When she opens one of these spreadsheets and goes to Page Setup - Margins, the dimensions that are being displayed appear to be in Centimeters. If the same file is opened on another computer with Excel 97, the margin dimensions are given in inches. eg. her left margin setting is 3. When I open it, the margin is 1.18. I can't find anywhere in Excel 97 where you can specify the units to use when entering margin dimensions. In Word 97, you go to Tools - Options, then the General tab and there is an option to s...

Size (mb) of sheets in file
Is there any way of finding out the mb size of individual sheets within a workbook. I can only view the size of the file as a whole by going to File and then Properties and General Thanks, Esther No better than an estimate... Make a copy of your workbook. open that copy delete a worksheet save that copy compare the size of the original workbook with that copy. Repeat as necessary. EstherJ wrote: > > Is there any way of finding out the mb size of individual sheets within a > workbook. I can only view the size of the file as a whole by going to File > and then Properties...

Data Validation message increases file size?
I just opened a template file (1,174 KB) and used data validation to show a short message when a single cell is selected and when I saved the file it's size had increased to 2,925 KB. My message is not worth this strange increase in file size. Has anyone any idea why this has happened? ...

reg:sizing of panels in WPF
There are 3panels in the WPG page.... each panel contains some controls.... if i select a panel the selected panel size should be increased and remaining panel sizes should be decreased....same way with all the panels is it possible to do if so pls let me know Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Join Lists with LINQ - SharePoint 2010 http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/b0c1cd0d-fe82-444e-a16e-7d3fb7d38eca/join-lists-with-linq--sh.aspx ...

Mailbox Full - Increase Mailbox Size
When a user's mailbox is full and the storage limits are increased it takes at least 15 minutes for the changes to take effect. After making the change I do go into AD Sites and Services , NTDS Settings and choose "replicate now" between the 2 Domain Controllers. But it still takes too long for the changes to go into effect. Running Exchange 2003 with 2003 AD. Thank-you. On Thu, 12 May 2005 09:08:34 -0400, "Kevin" <emer777@hotmail.com> wrote: >When a user's mailbox is full and the storage limits are increased it takes >at least 15 minutes for t...

IE type size
Just the other day, the type in web sites shrunk down to just barely readable size in Internet Explorer and the "type size" button in the toolbar doesn't seem to have any effect on it. Don't know what caused this to happen, so I can't do anything about it. Anybody have any ideas? By the way, I'm using IE8 and Vista Home Premium. "Retired" <cbeck02@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:477C1D84-9493-47F5-8BEF-076443471C3B@microsoft.com... > Just the other day, the type in web sites shrunk down to just barely > readable size in Inter...

Any guidelines on bitmap size for a header of a property page ?
Hi, Would anyone know how to come up with an optimum size for a bitmap to be placed on a property page (CPropertyPage) header? I can't figure it out and can't find anything in the docs. For example, in may case if I create a bitmap that is 70x50 pixels then I could see only ~1/2 of it. On the other hand, if I shrink it to 70x49 I could see the whole thing. There seems to be no scaling - just cropping in the first case (which is what docs suggest). The background color for the remaining part of the header is picked up correctly in both cases. I just can't figure out why...

ehhh, is there a way to automatic size the x-axis of a chart
I need to make a table for breeding eggs. Some species need 28 days but other require 70 days. Now I created a chart showing all 70 days, but I rather have a chart that does automatic sizing with the days needed. The days needed for breeding can be found in a cell. Is there a way to enter a formula in the x-axis value for a chart? thanks again! Frodo you can use a defined name with that cell as a parameter or just use an automatic defined name such as insert>name>defined>name it>in the refers to box use an offset formula.. =offset($A$1,0,0,counta($A:$),6) then in the source ...

Restrictin gMemory Size
Hi, When you run the setup for Exchange 5.5, you receive an option to restrict the amount of memory Exchange is assigned and uses. Should a value be entered in here, if so what is best practice? The reason I ask is becuase I have an Exchange 5.5 build which I did not restrict the amount of memory, and when I took a look, the OS appears to using more memory than is Physically available; Paging to disk. A reboot brings the level of memory use down but I cannot keep on rebooting the server. Please advise, Thanks Mohammed "Mohammed" <Mohammed@discussions.microsoft.com> wr...

Chart size when html output
I am unable to resize a chart that is on its own tab. When I activate it and try to resize it by grabbing the handles, the handles dispappear. What I am ultimately trying to do is properly size the chart for an html file. Perhaps there is a better way to do it? Embed the chart on a worksheet. You have great control over the size of an embedded chart. You can line up the chart edges to the cell boundaries, too, if you hold down the Alt key while moving and resizing the chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services http://PeltierTech.com/Excel/Charts/ __...

File Size #3
I am running XP Pro OS and using Office 2003 Pro. When I try to send a file larger than 1 MB, the email sits in my outgoing box. It actually is sent but never reaches my sent items folder. I have to send the email, contact the recipient to ensure they received the mail & then delete the email from the outgoing box. Any help is appreciated ...

Outlook 2003 default font size
Hi Is there any way to change the default font size within Outlook 2003 'All Mail Folders' pane that appears on the left side. I can change the fonts within the viewing panes via view custom but can't find a control to change the font within the left column panes. -- Regards Adam ...

GDIPlus font size
Hello! When I have a text rendered by GDIPlus, the font appears smaller than with GDI. Does anybody know why and how I can make it so that GDIPlus renders the text in the same size as with GDI? Thanks Dimi "Dimitri Kowaletschew" <dimi.k@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:eVfRKyvdKHA.5156@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > When I have a text rendered by GDIPlus, the font appears > smaller than with GDI. Does anybody know why and how > I can make it so that GDIPlus renders the text in the same > size as with GDI? How much smaller? I don't actually us...

excel file size 0
Yesterday I saw alll excel, word files size 0 Kb from Windows Explorer. Please could you tell me what kind of virus attack my file and the name of virus I would be glad if you reply as soon as possible Thank Dokles Better to run your AV to get this information. You dont have an up to date AV? Hmmm. Go to www.housecall.trendmicro.com and run their online Scanner. Go to www.grisoft.com and DL their FREE AV "Dokles" <dokles@lycos.com> wrote in message news:3C539357-BDE2-4908-BCC1-ED456AB645F6@microsoft.com... : Yesterday I saw alll excel, word files size 0 Kb from Windows ...

exact size of SDI main window
Hello. how can I modify the size of my SDI main window to be exactly e.g. 768*1024 pixel? Should that be done in PreCreateWindow? Until now I tried the following: RECT rect; rect.left = ::GetSystemMetrics(SM_CXSCREEN) / 4; rect.right = 1024; rect.top = ::GetSystemMetrics(SM_CYSCREEN) / 4; rect.bottom = 768; AdjustWindowRectEx(&rect, cs.style, TRUE, cs.dwExStyle); cs.cy = rect.bottom; cs.cx = rect.right; cs.y = rect.top; cs.x = rect.left; cs.style = WS_OVERLAPPED | WS_SYSMENU | WS_BORDER; cs.dwExStyle = WS_EX_RIGHTSCROLLBAR; if( !CFrameWnd::PreCreat...

Private and public db sizes
I've come in to the Exchange world from GroupWise, so I'm still coming up to speed - but in the course of a year my priv1.edb and .stm files have grown to around 7Gig each. I ran for years on a four gig drive with GroupWise, but I'm about to fill the 15 Gig drive I have my Exchange stores on - is this normal? I have about 40 users total on SBS Exchange 2003. In order to make more room for the stores, I'm adding a larger drive to the machine. I've tried the administration program method of moving the message stores, and it appears to hang at 100% and not complete m...

Font sizes
I find it very difficult to read the phone numbers on the contact forms. How do I change the Font?? I can copy the numbers into the notes where you can control the font, but that is a pain. Thanks. Ira ...

Folder sizes
When I open the "folder sizes" facility in Outlook 2003 do the kB figures shown include mail in Outlook archive folders? Beemer The folder size is for either the Personal Folders or the individual Folder, depending where accessed from The Archive is a completely seperate pst "Beemer" <Beemer@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:uiEUwF8ZHHA.4832@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > When I open the "folder sizes" facility in Outlook 2003 do the kB figures > shown include mail in Outlook archive folders? > > Beemer > > "DL" <address...

How to limit size of mail
Hello, I have a NT4 server with Exchange 5.5. Is it possible to limit the size of the mail (for example 10) for the internals mails independently from outgoing mail? Thanks a lot. Mike I don't believe that this is possible. Nue "Mika�l PLOUHINEC" <mp@cerealog.fr> wrote in message news:OYVC85KMGHA.668@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I have a NT4 server with Exchange 5.5. Is it possible to limit the size of > the mail (for example 10) for the internals mails independently from > outgoing mail? > > Thanks a lot. > > Mike Neither do...

Charts freeze in Excel 2007 using larger plot size
I'm trying to make simple line chart from a little over 25,000 rows. It will eventually make it but only after several minutes and the same thing happens anytime I try to resize or make any other changes. This particularly annoying because 2003 did everything instantly. Is there any fix or something I can do to speed things up. Thx, Joe ...

Personal folder size showing different
Hello all, Pls help me. I had a question. Why is outlook personal folder size showing 2706KB but in Windows explorer it shows only 2500KB... why does it show different and not the same... appreciate reply asap. thanks ...

Textbox size changes on deletion of rows
I've created a textbox (using the Drawing Toolbar). The textbox extends downward and actually to the right-hand side of 15 rows of data. I run a macro that deletes 5 or 6 rows and my textbox shrinks because of the deleted rows; how can I prevent this from happening? TIA, Set the properties of the text box so it doesn't size with the cells: Select the text box Choose Format>Text Box Select the Properties tab Select Move but don't size with cells (or -- Don't move or size with cells) Click OK Jim May wrote: > I've created a textbox (using the Drawing Toolbar)....