Creating, saving pages showing xml docs in various sort orders automatically

I can see from
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:6f-yXCR3f8kJ:www.readol.net/books/computer/WEb/XML%2520Programming/xmlproghtml/32ch08b.htm+%22metadata+about+any+entity%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3
how XML is transformed by XSL into a sorted HTML table. That is, the
XSL turns the XML, which is not alphabetically ordered by name, into a
presentation that is alphabetically ordered by name.

What I would like to do, is to write code that would automatically
create and save to disk, several different ordered lists pages, each
page containing the given xml sorted by a different column, one page
for each possible columnar sort.

Also, through the code I write, I want to be able to automatically
force the created pages, to cross link to each other, so that clicking
on a column header produces in the browser the XML in question sorted
according to the order in the column titled by the clicked on column
header.

Which software/programming language would be the best to use to
accomplish the goals I have in mind?

0
vincemoon (4)

Hi,

>> Which software/programming language would be the best to use to
>> accomplish the goals I have in mind?

Well, since you're posting in this News Group, I would say, use .NET
with VB or C# !!

Regards,

Cerebrus.

0
zorg007 (48)
3/21/2006 9:52:14 AM
vincemoon@rcn.com wrote:

> Which software/programming language would be the best to use to
> accomplish the goals I have in mind?

Anything that runs on your available platforms (desktop or server), has
access to a rudimentary XML DOM and XSLT transform engine, and ideally
is a language you already know.

Python or Ruby could do it easily if you want to be fashionable. Perl
for the diehards. Java if you're already using Java, but it's more
heavyweight than some other choices. JavaScript could do it too, if you
have a suitable run-time (i.e. doing it within a browser would be
tricky).  Shell scripting is not a good idea for XML processing.

0
dingbat (6)
3/21/2006 10:24:16 AM
vincemoon@rcn.com wrote:
> I can see from
> http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:6f-yXCR3f8kJ:www.readol.net/books/computer/WEb/XML%2520Programming/xmlproghtml/32ch08b.htm+%22metadata+about+any+entity%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3
> how XML is transformed by XSL into a sorted HTML table. That is, the
> XSL turns the XML, which is not alphabetically ordered by name, into a
> presentation that is alphabetically ordered by name.
>
> What I would like to do, is to write code that would automatically
> create and save to disk, several different ordered lists pages, each
> page containing the given xml sorted by a different column, one page
> for each possible columnar sort.
>
> Also, through the code I write, I want to be able to automatically
> force the created pages, to cross link to each other, so that clicking
> on a column header produces in the browser the XML in question sorted
> according to the order in the column titled by the clicked on column
> header.
>
> Which software/programming language would be the best to use to
> accomplish the goals I have in mind?

XSLT2 has the ability to write multiple output files
(XSLT1 is restricted to one).

///Peter
--
XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie
0

How to create a partition on an external USB drive?
Toshiba Tablet XP Home/Student with plenty of memory. I have the program DriveImage XML. At one point it says to create a partition somewhere for the image it's going to create. I have a 40G external plug and play HD. I'd like to create a partition on it without disturbing other files and folders I have on it. There's plenty of free space. Various resources say use XP Disk Management to create that partition. So when I go there it appears as they say but when they say click on the free space choose the selection "Create new partiton." I have right clicked ...

automatically close second workbook 12-16-09
i have put the following code in to workbook 'A' to close workbook 'B' but it does not close book 'B' there is no error message Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean) On Error Resume Next Workbooks("B.XLS").Close SaveChanges:=False ActiveWorkbook.Close SaveChanges:=True End Sub Several of us have tested your code..........both workbook_open which opens B.xls when A.xls opens and the workbook_beforeclose code. Works fine for me. All I can think of is that you are opening B.xls in a separate instance of Excel. If t...

user created shapes non printing
I started have a problem with vision 2002 that I have not noticed before. When I create a new shape, by default, it assumes the non-printing properly under FORMAT � BEHAVIOR. Also if I group a set of "printing" shapes the group will become non-printing. Can I change this behavior? How are you creating the new shape? Also are you using layers in your document? -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Robert" <hammer_757@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:9ec427f7.0409231005.576...

Crazy Sorting Problem.....
Ok so I have colums A though D that need to line up with E through P. I have a common symbol in D and F. I need to get rid of everything in colum A through D that does not line up with the E through P useing the common symbol as a referance. I am right now deleting extra info by hand. Please help. Hi see your other post -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Neal wrote: > Ok so I have colums A though D that need to line up with E through P. > I have a common symbol in D and F. I need to get rid of everything in > colum A through D that does not line up with the E through P ...

"All users" "Programs" create/modify shortcut from app...
Hi all, I've created two shortcuts into "Programs" folder for "All Users" It lets me to get them available for all user. The problem: Application running in "User" context needs to delete and re-create such links but it fails due to an "access denied" ... Settings correct permission to such links it starts working as well I've created links using the IShellLink/IPersistFile sehll interfaces. So, I actually need to have link under "programs" for "All Users" which might be modified by application running in "Users"...

Preventing Recipient Names from Showing
I have a long list of people I am addressing a message to. I want the recipient to see that it is coming to them, but not be able to see anyone else's name/address that it's being sent to. I've tried the BCC field but then even the recipient does not see that it was sent to them. I'm afraid they will think it is junk mail if they don't see it addresses to themselves. Check out http://www.slipstick.com/addins/mail.htm#massmail for other options -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick...

How to filter to show only one message from a specific sender/subject
I would like to filter out all but one email with the same subject line from a specific sender. I subscribe to a message board that sends an email every time a posting is made to a thread, instead of just the first posting after I have read the thread. Is there a way for filter out the duplicate messages and just keep the oldest email? Thanks, Brian ...

show tasks on the calendar
I would like to see tasks on the calendar in both weekly and monthly view -it gives you a sense of those "things to do" items that are coming up. I tried it with due dates and start dates, clicked "show tasks without due dates", clicked show all tasks, consulted Help and my copy of Outlook for dummies. It seems so basic but I HAVN'T BEEN ABLE TO GET IT TO DO IT!!! Related question -why is it that Microsoft software NEVER behaves as you would reasonably expect? -e.g we all write "to do" type items in our paper diarys for certain days -without a fixed time...

How to create a connection point in Excel
When I group autoshapes the group itself does not have connection points. A connector connects to one of the grouped shapes instead. So, the connector beginconnecedshape (or endconnectedshape) property contains the name of the contained shape and not the name of the group. Is there a way to create connection points for a group? Alternatively, is it possible to change a group into a single shape with connection points? ...

Automatically Purging Transaction Logs
Hello, I am running Exchange Server 2003 and am looking for a method to aoutomatically purge transaction log files after succesful back up. Can anyone give me a good method of doing this? Thanks in advance. A successful backup automatically purges the transaction logs (if you're using Exchange-aware backup sw) -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Hunter" <Hunter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4DF7D5C6-5422-4FAB-BC45-E9284E8F0CB9@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I am running Exchange Server 2003 and am looking for a ...

Automatically redirecting profiles to a new exchange server?
OK old exchange server was SERVEROLD and new one is SERVERNEW (for arguments sake). The pc has lots of different profiles on it and I dont wanna manually change each profile to reflect the new server. Running Outlook 2002 is there a way to automatically do this? I believe I can use a prf file created using Custom Wizards from the Office Resource Kit and deploy this to do this for me. Can anyone give any more detailed info on how this can be done? Thanks <carlosvenegas@jellybeandesign.co.uk> wrote in message news:1132785375.328184.274520@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > OK ol...

Createing Quote sometimes make Error: 80070057
Hello NG, Today I found some funny problems. I create Quotes via the quote WebService from the CRM. This normally works fine, but now I have some quotes, which will get me an error, when I open it. This error is no normal error, I will get an white/yellow Page with ASPX Errorpage: Here the Message (sorry but I only have this error in German): Serverfehler in der Anwendung '/'. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---- Falscher Parameter. Beschreibung: Beim Ausf�hren der aktuellen Webanforderung ist ein unverarbeiteter Fehler aufgetret...

Please help with last formula for order form.
I am able to accomplish this with 1 column by the formulas below. Cell H160 is the subtotal: =IF(SUM(H72:H111)>0,SUM(H72:H111),"") Cell H166 the total: =IF(SUM(H160)>0,SUM((H160*H163)+H160),"") Cell H163 is for Tax. I am almost finished creating an order form. I would like to get the SUM of 3 different columns that are separated. I am not able auto fill strait down the column, because the information is separated in groups with titles, and the cells are not identically sized. I tried varations of this formula: =IF(SUM(H72:H111)+(116:131)+(135:154)>0,SUM ((H72:H...

Automatically generate a new record
Can I autumatically generate a new record adding information (future date) from a current record? Yes. In your form have Double-click event call an append query that pull data from your form fields to append one record. INSERT INTO [YourTableToAppendInto] ( Field1, Field2, Field3, Field4 ) SELECT TOP 1 [Forms]![YourForm]![1stField] AS [X], [Forms]![YourForm]![2ndtField] AS [Y], [Forms]![YourForm]![2rdtField] AS [Z], [Forms]![YourForm]![4thtField] AS [A]; -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "Crown Jenny" wrote: > Can I autumatically generate a new record addin...

Recovery after "do not save changes" selected accidently
I mistakenly clicked on "do not save changes" for a worksheet (file) that i'd been working on (I thought a different file was highlighted). As it turns out I had not saved the original file in over a day, though the autosave is set up. is there any way to get my file back, or at least an intermediate version, instead of one with a day's less of work??? help!!!!!! Thanks very much for your help! Sorry to say, but your day's work is gone. -- Greeting from the Gulf Coast! http://myweb.cableone.net/twodays "Mayukh" <msukhatme@hotmail.com> wrote in...

Problem with printing listbox bigger than one page
Hi, I created form "Invoice". It contains few list boxes (like: Brand, Product, Price, etc.). Each list box is big enough to display 50 items. It works in this way: user is chosing product from table Products_tbl and clicks on "Add to invoice" button which adds to each list box new item containg apropriate information about chosen product. At the end, user can print the form. Before it was limited, and user could put max. 50 products on one invoice, but I wanted to get rid of this limitation. I did it in this way: after 50th item, with each added product I extend list boxe...

Creating Control Grid
Hi all, I would like to know as to how I should go about creating a control grid of my very own. I just need a bit of push (suggestions). Thanks In Advance Where are you getting stuck? Of course, if the grid isn't too large and most of the cells will have data, then you could simply use a two-dimensional array. For larger grids that will be sparsley populated, there are a couple of algorithms to consider. A simple one is to create a one-dimensional array that represents the rows (or columns), and have each item contain or reference a linked list for all items in that row (complete...

Update Existing Purchase Orders with New Exchange Rate
Hello, I have existing Purchase Orders in Great Plains 8.0 were some of the line items have been received is there a way to change the exchange rate for the remaining line items and any new line items added? Thanks, Brian M. Database Administrator ...

Open web page from Word 2007
I have the following code to open a web page: Dim IE Set IE = CreateObject("internetexplorer.application") mySTR = "http://MyWebPage" IE.Navigate mySTR The code works if I run it from vba - it opens the page on top of Word. But if I assign it to a QAT or Ribbon button, it opens the page but leaves it minimized. How can I get it to open on top of Word? ...

Need Hyperlink from Menu Page to work in email
I have a workbook with several tabs. First tab is a "menu" type page (summary of other pages). Currently I have hyperlinks to all the other pages from the menu page. What I want to be able to do is copy the menu page into an email and enable the users to click on the existing hyperlinks (whatever adjustments needed) to go directly to their page of the workbook. Using Excel 2007. Please advise how to do this and what changes may be need for both options to work. ...

Both sides of a report page
Is there a way to utilize both sides of a report page as if printing a book? On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 08:06:03 -0800, TRS <TRS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way to utilize both sides of a report page as if printing a book? Yes. But it is dependant on the printer your using, not on Access. Chuck -- ...

Send button not showing after updating to SP3
I have updated the office 2002's .msi file with SP3 for network distribution. After redeploying the updated file I few users do not have a send button when the try to send a message. I have tried to delete their accounts and set them up form scratch with no luck. My only work around was to install office from CD. I need to resolve this problem. The installation from the network is a great tool. Thanks DG ...

How to sort with merged rows
This is my delema. I have data that I need to input. At the same time I would like to have a blank area below each contact so that I can add notes. The first problem is that when I try to sort, excel keeps saying "this operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized" Even if I do get by that problem, how can I keep the notes and the contact/data info above it together when I use a sort. Chris wrote: > This is my delema. I have data that I need to input. At the same time I > would like to have a blank area below each contact so that I can add notes. >...

For security reasons DTD is prohibited in this XML document.
Hi; One of our customers is getting the following error in our software. This occurs in our code when we try to open and read it using the .NET XML classes. For security reasons DTD is prohibited in this XML document. To enable DTD processing set the ProhibitD... (Sorry, the rest of the rrror message is cut off in the screen shot they sent us.) What's going on here and what do we do to make this work? thanks - dave david@at-at-at@windward.dot.dot.net Windward Reports -- http://www.WindwardReports.com me -- http://dave.thielen.com Cubicle Wars - http://www.windwardreports.com/film.ht...