[ANN] New XML Text Editor in Visual Studio

Announcing: New XML Text Editor in Visual Studio 2005 Beta 1
Visual Studio 2005 Beta 1 contains a completely new XML Text Editor, built
on top of the core text editor provided by Visual Studio.  It is entirely
written in C# and leverages all the cool stuff provided by the System.Xml
..NET assembly.  The XML editor provides support for editing XML and DTD
content, including special support for XSD and XSL and includes the
following handy features:

  a.. Full syntax coloring for all XML and DTD syntax.
  b.. Well formedness checking while you type, with red squiggles and error
list.
  c.. Intellisense based on any DTD, XDR and XSD schemas.
  d.. Validation-while-you-type with blue squiggles and error list.
  e.. Auto-completion of namespace declarations, end tags and attribute
value quotes.
  f.. Support for xsi:schemaLocation and xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation
attributes.
  g.. Schema picker dialog for overriding schemas used for validation, which
is then remembered as a document property in your solution.
  h.. Schema cache for commonly used schemas with standard set provided out
of the box.  You can easily add your own schemas here or edit the existing
ones to constantly improve your XML editing experience.
  i.. Smart Formatter that is more than a pretty printer.  It honors and
formatting of attributes that you may have done by hand and it fixes up the
most common mistakes people make in XML, like unquoted attribute values.
  j.. Smart indenting based on XML element depth.
  k.. Inline expand/collapse support.
  l.. Easy navigation between start and end tags using brace matching
command (Ctrl+]) .
  m.. Brace highlighting so you see which tags are being closed as you type.
  n.. Goto Definition command for navigating between elements and their
associated DTD, XDR or XSD schema definitions. This command can also
navigate from an entity reference to the entity definition in the DTD.
  o.. Tool tips that popup showing xsd:annotations for the element or
attribute under the mouse.
  p.. XSL and XSD compilation errors while you type, providing even more
error checking that can be represented in the schemas alone.
  q.. Show XSLT Output command available on any XML or XSLT file.
XSD Schema Inference
The editor also provides a handy command named "Create Schema" which does
one of three things:

  1.. Convert associated DTD to XSD
  2.. Convert associated XDR schema to XSD
  3.. Infer a schema from the XML
This is by far the easiest way to get started with designing an XSD schema.

XSLT Debugging
In non-Express SKU's only, this feature gives you a powerful XSLT debugger,
fully integrated into the overall Visual Studio debugging experience so you
can step from C# code directly into the XSLT transform itself and back out,
or from XSLT out to extension objects and back.  It also provides a "Debug
XSL" command on XML editor toolbar to start debugging directly from XML or
XSL file.

Once debugging has started the standard Visual Studio debugging menu is
available including special support for the following:

�         Setting and clearing breakpoints, at the node level (as opposed to
line level).

�         Locals window that shows XSLT variables and parameters that are in
scope.

�         Call Stack window that shows XSLT template stack.

Deep VS Integration & Extensibility
All the advanced core text editor commands and configurability is available,
for example:
    a.. Configurable colors using standard Tools/Options/Environment/Fonts
and Colors property page.
    b.. Integrated text editor settings (Tools/Options/Text Editor/XML) for
general, tabs and miscellaneous settings.
    c.. Support for the new Visual Studio 2005 "Import/Export Settings"
feature.
Support for multiple-views over the same buffer.  In Visual Studio 2003, the
XSD designer and grid views were only available from a tab at the bottom of
the document window, which means you could not view both ways at the same
time. This limitation has been removed, and each different view is now a
full fledged document window.

Custom XML designers can also be registered per file extension and/or XML
namespace URI, which is how the Visual Studio XSD designer, DataSet
designer, and the Grid View are associated with the XML editor.  Anyone can
now register an XML designer for a given namespace and the XML editor will
automatically provide a View Designer menu item for invoking that designer.
In fact, if you are planning on building an XML designer, I'd love to chat
with you about integrating it with our new XML text editor.  (You should be
able to figure out my email address from the anti-spam from-address).

All feedback is welcome!

XML Editor team,
Microsoft.

0
Chris

faq: How to obtain the select plain text?
Hi, Just like the notepade.exe in windows, I type some plain text and select it using mouse with left button pressed, and copy it to the clipboard by select copy command in the menu Edit. How to do that? Thanks very much. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/80db3kax(VS.80).aspx http://www.codeproject.com/editctrl/editctrltutorial.asp Also, take a look at CEdit::Copy() CEdit::Paste() CEdit::Cut(). They should do what you'd like. http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/75bh1f1t(VS.80).aspx Tom "fcvcnet" <fcvcnet@163.com> wrote in message news:fhb5as$ghh$1@ne...

on last enter start new blank form
is there a way to have a new blank form start after entering last input of information? Thanks in advance for the help! If you set the form's property to add new records, and add a <Save> command button, you should get "a new blank form". If you're asking how to have it happen without the <Save> button, how will Access "know" when you're finished entering data? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a produ...

MSDN like documentation for Xml-files?
I would like to be able to generate documentation for a custom configuration file (xml) to enable future support engineers to understand applicable values to the various elements inside the configuration file. (see below for sample). Does any program exist (like NDoc) that is able to generate MSDN like documentation? <!-- CONFIGURATION SECTION --> <configurationSection> <caching> <!-- Should caching be used by the Configuration system ? Using caching greatly improves performance Values: "false" : Do not use "true" : Do use ...

How to receive and send XML using .NET
I would like to receive XML over the internet (via HTTP Post or SOAP), read it, perform some server side operations, and send back an XML response that would depend on the contents of the XML received. Seems simple, but I cannot find a good example of how to do this. In the Microsoft "Developing XML Web Services.." book, there is a nice discussion of XML and how to load it from a file and directly in code as a stream/string, but no mention of how to get or send it via HTTP. In an HTTP Post, how do I write my XML to the header and how do I read it? Also, is it necessary to use...

Uploading New Reports
Hey, Anyone seen this infamous message when trying to create new reports in CRM? Browsing to rdl file, setting categorisation etc and clicking Save & Close, but always always always getting this message back. Can successfully add reports that are links to web pages, but not any that are new rdl files, or even new rdl files that are straight copies of existing reports - copied User Summary, tried to add it back in as User Summary Copy, and same error returned. Any advice, cheers. Paul. Hi Paul, Is Reporting Services installed on the same server as CRM is? Is there any message i...

Converting dataset xml into adodb.recordset???
Hi, I have a need to conver the xml produced by a .net dataset (with a single table) into an adodb.recordset. The adodb.recordset doesn't understand the xml that the dataset.GetXml method produces. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thanks ... Ed Hi, see the code download for Dino Esposito's "Applied XML Programming for Microsoft .NET" http://www.microsoft.com/MSPress/books/6235.asp . In chapter 4 there is written as an example an XmlRecordsetWriter class (custom XML writer) which is capable to write ADO recordset compliant XML. It has WriteRecordset meth...

extracting a XML segment (element)
Hello, I need to extract an element from a xml document something like this <myXml> <Header> <Name/> <LastName/> <Age/> </Head> <Body> <Properties> <Address/> <Location/> <Country> </Properties> </Body> </myXml> I need to extract from my Stream the <Properties> element (and sub elements) located inside the Body element. How can I do that? Thanks a lot again! AA I forgot to mention that the element <P...

Format in an unbound Text Box
Hi all, I have a form that I have put an unbound text box in, which displays the previous entries from my table. One of my fields is Current Time. Which on my form I set to Short Date (military time). How can I have my unbound text display Short time as well. here is my code (control source of my unbound text box). SELECT DISTINCTROW tblSITLog.[current time], tblSITLog.MONTH, tblSITLog.DAY, tblSITLog.SIT, tblSITLog.[NATURE OF iNCIDENT], tblSITLog.[Case Description], tblSITLog.Incident_Number FROM tblSITLog WHERE (((tblSITLog.[NATURE OF iNCIDENT])="CHRONO ENTRY")) ORDER BY...

Dialog Editor Shows the previous name (not ID) of the resource
may be i havent explain clearly i try to expose the problem in another way: the resource.h contains something like this: .... #define IDC_STATIC_GROUPBOX_ARRAY 1000 .... when i click on that Group box in dilaog designer these values are shown in the properties box (Under the Misc Category): name = IDC_STATIC_GROUPBOX_ARR //its some previous name of the resource ID = IDC_STATIC_GROUPBOX_ARRAY // the current and correct ID of the resource the name property is grayed out (meaning its a read only property) but the ID property is editable Questions: 1- where does the VS store the name pro...

how to converts a number to text eg. "2" become "two" #2
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;213360 many excel utilities from third parties have this built in http://xcell05.free.fr/ Morefunc for instance, see above link -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom Northwest Excel Solutions Portland, Oregon "CQ" <CQ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03EC3E12-2919-4F4F-9D6B-101F7C095860@microsoft.com... > ...

What is the Best XML API for .NET 3.5?
I’m starting a new project which will dynamically generate (user will have to pick and choose data, then generate the XML dynamically) RDLC for Reporting. My approach was to use LINQ to XML for the API. My question is what is the best API to use? Performance is no concern, most critical factor is that the code be easy to maintain easy to dynamically generate the mark-up for the RDLC. Note: We are all ready using LINQ to XML in the main application. This is for the reprinting module of the application. -- Alexander L. Wykel AW Software Works Alexander Wykel wrote: > I’m start...

Curve the Text Box in a Newsletter?
Is there a way to curve the text box justification? There are severa templates within Publisher that have curved color "blocks" that ru along the left or right border of the newsletter. I am able t insert a text box, but am unable to justify it along the curve of th color block Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks. Lewiedude This is a wrap issue, bring the "color blocks" to the front. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "lewiedude" <mlewensohn@comcast-dot-net.no-spam.invalid&g...

How to manage new data with external data in Excel?
Hi, I'm setting up a business planning worksheet into which I import external data from another Excel table using the built in driver. I import a few columns and then add some extra columns required to the right, such as formulas and other validated fields. The problem is that whenever new data is added or existing data is removed, the columns to the right of the external data do not move as I would like them to. In "External Data Range Properties" I ticked "Insert entire rows from new data, clear unused cells." but that doesn't seem to work. Can anyon...

Getting Data from Excel Graph onto New Speadsheet
I am trying to get the information that I have plotted, on a scatted graph, off onto the second sheet an splitting the information. I'm not too sure if this is the right place for this thread, but I am hoping that someone can help? The original data that is on the graph is in 3 columns. One has the company name, one is the current value and one is the predicted value. I need this info to come off the graph or from the original data in 2 fields. Customer and predicted value, but they need to be prioritized. 1 needs to be the one with the lowest current and highest potential. 2 needs...

Making sure a replica of another node is not saved in the xml document
Hi, How do I iterate through the nodes of an xml file to check if the newly added node is a replica of another node(incl. innertext and each element of the node and values thereof) ? If there newly added node is a copy of another node I would then delete the new node and save the xml file. All this would be done from the click event of a button in a webform. What is a good way of achieving the above? A code sample would be great. Thanks a lot Anita, Yould run an XPath expression against the document before you insert a new element. The most generic case would be an XPath like this: //*...

custom CStatic and text wrapping
I have almost finished to developp a nice CStatic derived control thanks to all examples on codeproject and codeguru. I took what was the most interesting (flicker_free, handling of transparency, color, blink, pictures, email link, ...) from every control I found but my last problem is about text wrapping. I have tried to use DT_WORDBREAK with DrawText but with no success. Finally someone on code project proprosed a solution but it is not perfect. If you are curious you can see the problem here : http://richom.v.free.fr/ Text wrapping is my last problem. If someone could find a solution. ...

HOW DO i SET DEFAULT TEXT BOXES IN PUBLISHER
I have found MVP who created the toolbar for this, but the page will not allow me to download the toolbar. Any suggestions?? What is the URL? I can't remember a toolbar. When you are finished modifying the normal.pub and you save as: C:\Documents and Settings\User Name\Application Data\Microsoft\Office\normal.pub, in the save as dialogue, click tools on the right top, click add to "My Places." It will quickly be available. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/F...

Setting every text object in a detail line to bold.
I want to set all the text objects in the detail line to bold depending on a condition of one of those objects. For example, If txtExpired.Text <> "Current" Then txtExpired.FontBold = 1 : txtName.FontBold = 1 'etc. Else: txtExpired.FontBold = 0 : txtName.FontBold = 1 'etc. End If My question: Is there a syntax, of the form "For all objects in detail" that allows me to bold every text box in the detail line without setting each FontBold to 1 individually? If this is a Continuous form or datasheet, setting the properties like tha...

how to keep text with next paragraph
"Church Mouse" wrote: > What is the problem? Version? ...

Visual basic for application project in database is corrupt
I'm running Office 2003 on Windows XP. I have a database that does not open, and gives me a message stating that Microsoft Access has detected corruption in this file. The message goes on to suggest that I run Compact and Repair Database from the Tools menu. When I do, I get the error message above. Is there any way of recovering this database? Thank you for your response. I actually tried both ways, linking and inporting, but I'm unable to gain access to the corrupted database. The only thing I have been able to do is access it through MSQuery in Excel, but that only gets me to ...

text to excel
Hello I have 15 different text file which i want to import in one excel fil at one go can ewe do it with the help of a macro thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You can do it with a macro, but perhaps easier is to combine the text files in DOS and then import to Excel. To combine in DOS, have all the files in the same folder, open a DOS prompt and type something like the following: COPY C:\MyDocuments\TextFiles\*.txt AllFiles.txt HTH, Greg "vikram >" <<vikram.15hgsx@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:vikram.15hgsx@excelforum-nospam.co...

can't record a new macro or insert module in editor
When i try to record a new macro it tells me it is unalbe to record. When i go into the VB editor and go to the insert menu all the items are greyed out so I can't select module and so create a new macor that way. I have changed the security off from high (tried on both medium and low). Does anybody know why I can't make new macros? Douglas Allen Douglas Unfortunately the "Unable to record" message has several potential causes. Suggest you wander through these google search results dealing with this issue. Perhaps something will do the trick. The Personal.xls file ...

space between text strings with concatenate
I'm using the concatenate function to join two bits of text - but I want a space between, and the function joins them together without a space. How can I insert a space into the resulting text please? (It seems to me that we would want such a space in ANY two text strings which we join together with concatenate - wouldn't we?? Why doesn't it put one in by default?!) Thanks Jeff Hi Jeff, =text1&" "&text2 -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Jeff" <no_em@ilplease> wrote in message news:42275bd0@212.67.96.135... > I...

Return a number in one cell to long hand text in another.
Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents Take a look at http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH RP "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0D9B8E3-3D66-4EA0-9184-57762BD663D6@microsoft.com... > Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents Go to Google and search the newsgroups for "spell number" On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 15:07:02 -0700, "CP" <CP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Ie. 123.65 to One hundred, Twenty Three & Sixty Five Cents ...

controlling spam with MSExchange.UceContentFilter.xml
Hi I need to know if there is a way of using a wild card word inconjunction with the MSExchange.UceContentFilter.xml. I will try to explain, recently our ISP who provide our first line spam filtering changed their methods of controlling spam and since this change we are getting alot more spam into our exchange systems. They delete obvious spam but the ones they are a little unsure about they now send it out and adjust the subject to include the word spam I now this sounds daft but just go along with it. So we are getting alot of spam with the different subjects all prefixed with {s...