Windows Service running as Local System account cannot access files?

I'm making a system utility of sorts that checks files that are installed on
a users system.  These files often include access control NTFS permissions
with the Everyone, Deny permission.

I tried making a standard Windows Forms program that ran with UAC as
Administrator to access these files and it fails as well unless I add code
to remove the deny permission before accessing the files, however.. there
has got to be a way to do this and just access the file no matter what
permission it has???

I really thought making my program into a windows service and running it as
Local System would fix this problem, but alas it does not.. anyone have any
ideas?  My program scans every file on the system and checks the MD5 sum of
each file, and I have to read files no matter what permissions they have.
Writing code to simply remove the Deny ACL permission from each file then
re-add it later seems sloppy?  Any suggestions?

P.S. If you reply also reply via e-mail as I'm not always able to check the
groups.  Thanks!

-Joe

0
Joseph

"Joseph N. Stackhouse" <junkmauler@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I'm making a system utility of sorts that checks files that are installed
> on a users system.  These files often include access control NTFS
> permissions with the Everyone, Deny permission.

Setting Everyone:Deny is not a good idea. Everyone includes SYSTEM, so
SYSTEM is denied as well. This can cause problems with the OS booting. The
recommended solution is to remove "Everyone" group from the permitted list,
and making sure that Administrators and SYSTEM are added.

If you can't control it, you can change the permissions temporarily, then
change it back after you are done.

0
Nobody

Excel not Access

MS Money 95 data files

Running average
Hi Guys, Been struggling a bit on this so a pointer would be great. Just a simple example would do.. tableA with two fields "Startdate" and "Amount" now i need a running average in the query which would give me the following output: [Startdate] - [amount] - [average] 1-1-2010 - 100 - 100 2-1-2010 - 50 - 75 3-1-2010 - 60 - 70 So in the average column the last value should be the average of the sum of the previous records and the current records (being the average of the total). I know that the fieldnames are...

Set request parameters for web services

Radar chart in Access 2007 report

Where is the workspace file stored?

cant start outlook pst file to large

office 2010 and windows 7
word 2010 is hanging (seems on autosave) a great deal, especially with larger (>3MB) files. it hangs the system and I have to do a hard reboot (power down). any idea as to why? system is windows 7 ultimate, office 2010. Right-click My Computer, Disconnect Network Drive. -- Mary Sauer MVP http://msauer.mvps.org/ "KPTools" <support@kptools.com> wrote in message news:0F5ACF22-111A-416A-BECC-8E83543259AE@microsoft.com... > word 2010 is hanging (seems on autosave) a great deal, especially with larger > (>3MB) files. it hangs the system and I have t...

Trying to read XML file into dataset

Outlook Express 6 w/multiple accounts

Exchange 2007 across account search

Newbie Question: Using Web Services
Hello All. I've been trying to implement Infopath with CRM with no success. I've tried the example, http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnmbscrm1_2/html/mbs_crminfopathcrmintegration.asp, to no avail. I have followed the example to the letter, but find the information about publishing the Web Service to the server to be somewhat lacking. Admittedly, I am not a programmer, and I am continually running into an error in line 54: xmlDoc.LoadXml(objQuery.ExecuteQuery(objBizUser.WhoAmI(), strAllAccountsFetchXML)); Has anyone else ...

HELP! remote data not accessible msg

opening .bak file

Pop Up Windows
Several sites pop up smaller windows with advertising. The opop up blocker does not stop these smaller ad windows. How do I stop them? -- Larry "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0B01C98-66BF-4FA5-8CED-0C434CCCFC62@microsoft.com... > Several sites pop up smaller windows with advertising. The opop up blocker > does not stop these smaller ad windows. How do I stop them? > -- > Larry You don't. They LOOK like a pop up to you, but the designer that wrote the page made them not conform to the rules that define the...

Shared services admin page missing
PS2007 SP2 FebCU and WSS 3.0 SP2 FebCU Installed PS2007 and migrated data on a new dev server with win2k8. Everything is running good and i even got through the migration. However, i cannot build cubes. The error says that it cannot connect to the analysis service Db, then below that is says "provider cannot be found..." I used the technet guide in addition to MSProjectExperts Implementing and Administering MOPS2007 to retrace my steps and it appears that I've not missed any steps. I then noticed that my SharePoint Services Provider admin site is no longer a...