Vb.net 2008 custom controls

My questions are about custom controls in a vb.net 2008 application that are
as follows:

 1. I have a vb.net 2008  windows large solution that I  need to work with.
I am getting error messages about can not find certain dll. I am almost
certain these are custom controls.
Can you tell me how to find the dlls in the solution? (The code was just
stored in the windows explorer system for this small company.)
2. Do I need to build the custom controls first so that I can add them as a
reference later on in the solution? If not what, what is the process of
building custom controls and then and referencing them later on in a solution?
3. When I open this .net solution for the first time, there are alot of
projects that are missing references. Can you tell me how to locate these