VB 2008 compiling for 32 bit

Hi

In VB 2008 there seems to be three places where you can specify x86 or
AnyCPU.
1. From the main IDE window, there is a platform drop down box next to the
Debug/Release drop down box
2. From the Build Configuration Manager, there is an "active solution
platform" at the top of the form
3. On the same form, there is a "platform" option in the grid for each
project in the solution.

Which one(s) of those matter? Which one(s) actually specify that you are
building a project for the 32 bit platform?

A semi related question.
For a couple of those choices, x86 does not appear as an option until you go
to the Configuration Manager, and select "new" from the "active solution
platform".
You can then choose x86 as the "new" platform.
However, that form has a "copy settings from" field, with choices of
"anycpu" (the default) or "empty".
What effect does that field have on the "new x86" platform?
I'm nervous about creating a new "x86 option" which in fact is a clone of
the "anycpu" option.

Thanks

Barry

0
Barry

Am 24.06.2010 05:02, schrieb Barry Flynn:
> Hi
>
> In VB 2008 there seems to be three places where you can specify x86 or
> AnyCPU.
> 1. From the main IDE window, there is a platform drop down box next to the
> Debug/Release drop down box
> 2. From the Build Configuration Manager, there is an "active solution
> platform" at the top of the form
> 3. On the same form, there is a "platform" option in the grid for each
> project in the solution.
>
> Which one(s) of those matter? Which one(s) actually specify that you are
> building a project for the 32 bit platform?

Yeah, that was confusing me to. So...:

- Each solution platform determines a combination of project platforms.
  Usually, if you create a "x64" solution platform, you select the x64
  platform for each project in the solution. Same with x86. You could
  also create a "mixed" solution platform and specify x86 for projet A
  and x64 for project B (but don't ask me if it would make sense).
  There is no limited number of solution platforms. Create as many
  as combinations of project platforms you need.

- ...whereas there's a limit of three project platforms: Any CPU, x86, x64
  You can create one or all of these for each project.

- But: The decisive setting is not the name of the project platform.
  The actual platform is the "target CPU" in the "advanced compile settings"
  dialog. This setting is stored with each project platform.

- Now the confusing part: You can select the x64 project platform but
  set x86 as the target CPU. That's a contradiction, and I don't
  know if it's a design flaw or if there's a reason I don't know of.

To answer your question:
1. and 2. are equal. 3. should've been answered above.

> A semi related question.
> For a couple of those choices, x86 does not appear as an option until you go
> to the Configuration Manager, and select "new" from the "active solution
> platform".
> You can then choose x86 as the "new" platform.
> However, that form has a "copy settings from" field, with choices of
> "anycpu" (the default) or "empty".
> What effect does that field have on the "new x86" platform?
> I'm nervous about creating a new "x86 option" which in fact is a clone of
> the "anycpu" option.

Several settings, e.g. the "build output path", are platform dependend.
If you choose "empty", the default settings are used for the new platform.
Otherwise they are copied from the selected platform.

Some setting also depend on the configuration (debug, release, ...)
and some depend on both (configuration and platform). It's not
completley clear to me (maybe you find it in the documentation;
in case, please tell me where) which settings depend on what.
It can become a bit clearer if you open the project file with an editor.

Example: Because the "target CPU" depends on configuration and platform,
you could (in theory) set "target CPU" to "x86" for the combination
Debug config + x86 platform, and "AnyCPU" for the combination
Release config + x86 platform.

--
Armin
0

Barry

"Armin Zingler" <az.nospam@freenet.de> wrote in message
> [...]
>> I'm nervous about creating a new "x86 option" which in fact is a clone of
>> the "anycpu" option.
>
> Several settings, e.g. the "build output path", are platform dependend.
> If you choose "empty", the default settings are used for the new platform.
> Otherwise they are copied from the selected platform.
>

> Some setting also depend on the configuration (debug, release, ...)
> and some depend on both (configuration and platform). It's not
> completley clear to me (maybe you find it in the documentation;
> in case, please tell me where) which settings depend on what.
> It can become a bit clearer if you open the project file with an editor.
>
> Example: Because the "target CPU" depends on configuration and platform,
> you could (in theory) set "target CPU" to "x86" for the combination
> Debug config + x86 platform, and "AnyCPU" for the combination

0
Barry

max speed compilation failed.
I have a simpe win32 dll. when I make an optimization/max speed compilation, it always says: Compiling... Command line error D2016 : '/ZI' and '/O2' command-line options are incompatible if I use other options in optimization, it can compile. I wonder if I remove /ZI /O2, is it still in max speed ? or how can I get a max speed compilation ? thanks. /* Call Library source file */ #include "extcode.h" #include <ole2.h> #include <stdio.h> #include <conio.h> #include <winbase.h> void GetSeeThrough(unsigned char *aLine,int *seeThrough,int aL...

Microsoft's new Money 2008 naming scheme
While reading this recent article, it occurred to me that the new "Plus" may refer to what Ray Ozzie terms "software plus services". Here is the link and an excerpt: Microsoft Describes Technology Behind Software Plus Services http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,135159/article.html "This services transformation, from software to software plus services, is a very very big deal for our company," said Ray Ozzie, chief software architect for Microsoft, speaking during his company's annual financial analyst meeting. "It will be a critical aspect of all o...

SQL Server 2008 licensing model
We have a Small Business Server 2003 network with 25 SBS 2003 CALs. We have a member server that runs an application driven by SQL Server 2000. In the past, we bought a server license for SQL Server 2000 because the SBS 2003 CALs covered the clients on the network connecting to the application server. We are replacing this server with a new member server which will run as a VM in Hyper-V. It is still a part of the SBS 2003 network. What kind of licensing do I need for SQL 2008 Standard that will run in a VM that is a member server of an SBS 2003 network? Thanks On Wed, 09...

VB codes
How do you update/append/delete records in various files automatically based on the entry into the Summary file. Your question is rather vague, but the core of the answer is to use the Change event to execute the appropriate code when a value on the Summary sheet is changed. Right-click on the sheet tab of your Summary sheet and choose View Code. In the code module that opens up, enter Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) If Target.Cells.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub End If If Not Application.Intersect(Range("A1:A10"), Target) Is Nothing Then '...

2008 32/64-bit
I am a student just downloaded the developer edition of SQL Server2008. Anyway to find out is the version 32 or 64 bit? On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 15:15:59 +1000, "Alan T" <alan_NO_SPAM_pltse@yahoo.com.au> wrote: >I am a student just downloaded the developer edition of SQL Server2008. >Anyway to find out is the version 32 or 64 bit? > It will depend on your operating system, if you have a 32bit OS then you only have one option. But on a 64 bit OS you can run either. The 32 bit version will under WoW. It is unlikely you will use the better memory managemen...

How to display 16 bit BITMAP???
Hi! Let's suppose I have an array of values which represent the pixel colors of an 16bit BITMAP. How can I display it on the screen? Actually I grab these values from my webcam and I can create a bmp file by filing the first 54 HEADER bytes followed by this array of COLOR bytes. Please give me some code that REALLY works. I've not used 16-bit color (only 8-bit, 24-bit and 32-bit), but my recollection is that it is just like 8-bit color except it needs a 64K color map instead of a 256 entry color map. This means that if you are getting 16-bit color from your WebCam you need to know if...

New article: How to install BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express on a SBS 2008
Hello all, We have a free article for you. There is no registration needed to view the article or to download the pdf. How to install BlackBerry Enterprise Server Express on a SBS 2008 http://www.smallbizserver.net/Articles/tabid/266/Id/343/How-to-install-BlackBerry-Enterprise-Server-Express-on-a-SBS-2008.aspx Special thanks to Jason Miller, Les Connor and Michael B. Smith for helping on this article. All are Microsoft MVP's. If you have questions logon to our site and go to the forums at: http://www.smallbizserver.net/Default.aspx?tabid=53 You need to register an acco...

CRM 3.0 and SBS 2003 SP1 Hell solved... a bit.
Well I have spent 3 days and it's 3 am now.. but I have a level of success. PROBLEM Basically CRM 3.0 was failing the install step at the SQL reporting service pre install check. WHAT I TRIED that FAILED Well almost everyting, like 25 rollbacks vitrual server setups etc. A. 1. Installing SBS basic 2. Patched to SP 3. Install and patch SQL 2000 4. Manual install of reporting service 5. Patched Reporting service CRM Failed Preinstall check B. 1. SBS Basic 2. Patched SBS to SP1 3. Install SQL 2005 including Reproting service CRM Pre ins...

VB copde help
Hi, I'm quite new to this kinda thing so go easy! Ok, I have a workbook with 3 worksheets 1) Customer Name , ie John Smith 2) A selection of data copy/pasted from 'John Smith's' oder form into Invoice data (this data is an entire row - which is row 35 or cells A35:AB35) 3) Invoice master form. What I have is a macro button on my personal tool bar which I want the user to be able to select anywhere in the workbook. A msg box comes up asking to input name of customer who's invoice is to printed. That order form is seached for , the data collected, pasted into the 'In...

Outlook Web Access #32
Once I log on and get to my Inbox, I can not reply to my e-mails or forward them. When I try to reply or forward, it returns back to my Inbox messages. Help! jlc <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Once I log on and get to my Inbox, I can not reply to my > e-mails or forward them. When I try to reply or forward, > it returns back to my Inbox messages. Help! Ask your Exchange Administrator. -- Brian Tillman Smiths Aerospace 3290 Patterson Ave. SE, MS 1B3 Grand Rapids, MI 49512-1991 Brian.Tillman is the name, smiths-aerospace.com is the domain. I ...

Publisher 2002 #32
Every time I try to insert a piece of clip art my Publisher freezes. I have Publisher via Windows XP Small Business. I have taken it off the computer and reinstalled it, both partially and complete. It doesn't help. SP 2 and (I think) SP 3 are installed -- I'm stuck -- any suggestions? Go to the manufacturer's web site of your graphics card and look around for an updated driver. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "joe jon" <u17599@uwe> wrote in message news:5a482ac427830@uwe... > Every t...

SBS 2008 Licenses
hi, is possible in SBS 2008 if I have 20 CALs can connect 26 users if being blocked?. regards ale. This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_011F_01CAC5DC.DF7F7670 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable SBS has never been able to count very well There is usually some "wiggle" room However, if you were to be audited and didn't have enough CALs, you = could find yourself and company in a lot of trouble --=20 Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997) Co-Contributor, Windows...

Compile MFC program without (CRT) Library support ?
I wish program on MFC, but I donot want to bind VCCRT DLLs into the installer pack. Anything idea is able to figure it out? Any cues are appreciated. >I wish program on MFC, but I donot want to bind VCCRT DLLs into the >installer pack. Set the project option to link statically to MFC & the 'C' run-time rather than use the DLLs. Dave That does not remove CRT support. "Ignore default libraries" in linker options do that. But this way is really painfull, because MFC might use CRT functions inside. -- Vladimir "David Lowndes" <DavidL@example.invali...

Blank Screen during 2008 Standard Installation
I have a Dell Poweredge 700 that I am trying to install Windows 2008 Server Standard on. I boot from the installation DVD and it goes through the initial process where you see the black and white status bar. Then for a split second I see a green status bar and then just a blank black screen. Any idea what might be causing this? Possible driver issue? Thanks, Tom What happens in Safe Mode? (F8 at startup) -- Regards, Dave Patrick ....Please no email replies - reply in newsgroup. Microsoft Certified Professional Microsoft MVP [Windows] http://www.microsoft.c...

How does "style bits" work?
Hi, Can someone explain me how windows "style bits" (e.g. WS_CHILD) work? If we are to do something similar, how should the styles be defined? I want to be able to "add up" styles using "bitwise OR" and check whether a particular style exists using "bitwise AND" When we do this, using 32 bit numbers, can we have ONLY 32 different styles? i.e., one style for each bit position. Is that the way Windows does it? In WINUSER.H, WS_CHILD is defined as follows. #define WS_CHILD 0x40000000L What does this "L" doing here? Thanks...

problem connecting from 2008 to 2003
Hi, I have a server 2008 R2 server as a remote desktop server and a server 2003 R2 as a file server, both joined to the same domain. When I am on the 2008 server, I try to access \\2003srv\. Sometimes I can access it, sometimes I get an error 0x80070035 that 2008 can't access the server. But only sometimes. If I reboot 2008, I can access \\2003srv\ for awhile, but eventually after I log out and log back in a couple of times, it can't access \\2003srv\. This happens on different logins, but admins and users. But, I can always access a second 2003 R2 server, \\2003...

VS 2008 install
I've installed VS2008 standard edition on a Vista PC where VS2005 is working fine. There have been no VS betas on this machine. When I try a simple compile with 2008 I get "cl.exe not found". I've tried the install twice, with and without SP1, and the problem occurs in all cases. The first directory in the Tools, Options, Directories list is "$(VCInstallDir)bin" and sure enough, there is no cl.exe in that folder. I did find a cl.exe in "$(VCInstallDir)bin\x86_amd64" but it seems to be a 64-bit compiler. My questions are: In a standard install i...

SQL Server 2000 to SQL Server 2008
Hi, I have SQL Server 2000(32 bit) on the Win2008 Server, if I would like to promote it to the SQL Server 2008 on the same machine, is it possible? One more question, will the connection string in our client's .Net application need to change as well? Thanks for help. Jason 1. Backup your databases. 2. Uninstall SQL SVR 2000 completely 3. Install SQL SVR 2008 4. Restore your databases Nothing else will change except for the provider name in the connection string. It is now SQLOLEDB.1 - it is as easy as that unless you did some low level selects into system dat...

Reading minidumps in XP 64 bit
Hi all, I am trying to understand a minidump from a STOP 0x50 crash from win32k.sys. I have downloaded the dumpchk from http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/install64bit.mspx# with version 6.11.1.404 and the symbols from: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/symbolpkg.mspx and ran the dumpchk. Can anyone explain to me what the problem is? Here is the output: ------------------------------------------------ Microsoft (R) Windows Debugger Version 6.11.0001.404 AMD64 Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Loading Dump File [c:\Mi...

Any way to "Save As" without setting the archive bit on original file
I use a program that sends new or modified files, then clears th archive bit. My problem is that if I modify the master file and do a "Save As" Excel sets the Archive bit on the original file - even though th original file was not modified. I don't think there is a solution, but thanks for any help : -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com A new file should always have the archive attribute set since it has not been backed up. You might try SetAttr with the file after it is saved: SetAttr "c:\book1.xls", vbNormal -- Jim Rech Excel MVP .. --- M...

VB/ EXCEL/ CONTRACT/ FL
OMNI GROUP tgugger@buckeye-express.com 419-380-8852 VB/EXCEL---CONTRACT--FL Position: Programmer/ Analyst Skills: VB/ Excel Start Date: Dec: 2004 Area: Tallahassee, Fl Length: Until completed Bonus: A portion of work can be done off site. I want to find someone that knows Excel inside and out. Our client has an application written in VBA.5 and they wan...

problems creating xml documents with vb.net
OK.. I am creating an XML document (Fedex Tracking). And one of my attributes on an element is supposed to have an "xsi:" before the attribute name. It is in my code below.. but the output does not have the "xsi:" The area to look at is the "noNamespaceSchemaLocation" Any ideas around this? What I end up with is: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> - <TrackShipmentRequest xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" noNamespaceSchemaLocation="TrackShipment.xsd" DetailScanIndicator="true" Ve...

After Action Report on Office 2008 SP1 12.1.0
It worked so well I used the 2008 Remove Office utility to totally remove Office 2004 from my hard drive. Ditched the training wheels and everything seems to be working. Thanks to the Microsoft Office for Mac team for a very nice update. ...

outlook express 6 #32
hi folks ok im gunna sound stupid but. i cannot click on a url to get to it from my outlook express does anyone have any directions for me. hope i got the right place to ask its not easy being a dimwit . thank you in advance mal ..... This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx?ICP=GSS3&NewsG...

Office 2008 shows errors in system.log