using excel from dotnet

situation:
I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop
Also need to write extracted data to excel.

problem:
At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12.
(both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.)

I need to work at both locations.
can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not)

can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but
not the latest) interface?

i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and just
copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not copy the
vbproj file back and forth?

I think the dotnet project is dynamic(using actual disk copy of files when
opened) - as opposed to vba which copies the disk file contents into the dvb
and then the disk files are not updated when the modules in the dvb are
edited unless you do a manual export? so i think just updating the .vb files
should work fine?

any tips?
thanks
mark

0
mp

You should use XP PIAs:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328912

and reference them from your project - this way your application will run
just fine on any PC that has XP or later Office

Hope this helps

"mp" wrote:

> situation:
> I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop
> Also need to write extracted data to excel.
>
> problem:
> At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12.
> (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.)
>
> I need to work at both locations.
> can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not)
>
> can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but
> not the latest) interface?
>
> i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and just
> copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not copy the
> vbproj file back and forth?
>
> I think the dotnet project is dynamic(using actual disk copy of files when
> opened) - as opposed to vba which copies the disk file contents into the dvb
> and then the disk files are not updated when the modules in the dvb are
> edited unless you do a manual export? so i think just updating the .vb files
> should work fine?
>
> any tips?
> thanks
> mark
>

> .

Thank you! I wasn't aware of those.
I see two options oxppia.exe
and
PrimaryInteropAssembly.exe
description sounds similar except one says redistributable and appears to
have installation instructions.
Do you know the difference? how to decide which to use?
mark

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:67D698CB-E5BF-45F0-95BF-75BA7D12346D@microsoft.com...
> You should use XP PIAs:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328912
>
> and reference them from your project - this way your application will run
> just fine on any PC that has XP or later Office
>
> Hope this helps
>
> "mp" wrote:
>
>> situation:
>> I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop
>> Also need to write extracted data to excel.
>>
>> problem:
>> At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12.
>> (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.)
>>
>> I need to work at both locations.
>> can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not)
>>
>> can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but
>> not the latest) interface?
>>
>> i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and
>> just
>> copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not copy
>> the
>> vbproj file back and forth?
>>
>> I think the dotnet project is dynamic(using actual disk copy of files
>> when
>> opened) - as opposed to vba which copies the disk file contents into the
>> dvb
>> and then the disk files are not updated when the modules in the dvb are
>> edited unless you do a manual export? so i think just updating the .vb
>> files
>> should work fine?
>>
>> any tips?
>> thanks
>> mark
>>

>> .

0
mp
2/9/2010 12:58:01 AM
I will try the PrimaryInteropAssembly.exe
Is there a best use practice for where to install them? Windows\System32 ?
I presume if they are compiled into a net dll they don't need installed on
user machines, just the developer machine?

thanks
mark

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:67D698CB-E5BF-45F0-95BF-75BA7D12346D@microsoft.com...
> You should use XP PIAs:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328912
>
> and reference them from your project - this way your application will run
> just fine on any PC that has XP or later Office
>
> Hope this helps
>
> "mp" wrote:
>
>> situation:
>> I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop
>> Also need to write extracted data to excel.
>>
>> problem:
>> At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12.
>> (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.)
>>
>> I need to work at both locations.
>> can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not)
>>
>> can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common (but
>> not the latest) interface?
>>
>> i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and
>> just
>> copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not copy
>> the
>> vbproj file back and forth?
>>
>> I think the dotnet project is dynamic(using actual disk copy of files
>> when
>> opened) - as opposed to vba which copies the disk file contents into the
>> dvb
>> and then the disk files are not updated when the modules in the dvb are
>> edited unless you do a manual export? so i think just updating the .vb
>> files
>> should work fine?
>>
>> any tips?
>> thanks
>> mark
>>

>> .

0
mp
2/9/2010 1:22:37 AM
Tried to install o2007pia.msi (double clicked)
i get the following error dialog:

Error 1316. Setup cannot read from the file (path to msi)\PiaRedist.msi.
Check your connection to the network, or Cd-rom drive. For other potential
solutions to this problem, see Setup.chm

there is no Setup.chm or PiaRedist.msi in the downloaded exe

anyone know about this one?
thnaks
mark

"mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
>I will try the PrimaryInteropAssembly.exe
> Is there a best use practice for where to install them? Windows\System32 ?
> I presume if they are compiled into a net dll they don't need installed on
> user machines, just the developer machine?
>
> thanks
> mark
>
> "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message
>> You should use XP PIAs:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328912
>>
>> and reference them from your project - this way your application will run
>> just fine on any PC that has XP or later Office
>>
>> Hope this helps
>>
>> "mp" wrote:
>>
>>> situation:
>>> I'm working on a new app in vbexpress 2008 using acad com interop
>>> Also need to write extracted data to excel.
>>>
>>> problem:
>>> At home(laptop) i have excel 10. At the office excel 12.
>>> (both seem to have excel5 listed in refs.)
>>>
>>> I need to work at both locations.
>>> can i reference both 10 and 12 in the same vbproj (i think not)
>>>
>>> can i just reference 5 and is that just an older version with common
>>> (but
>>> not the latest) interface?
>>>
>>> i guess i can just have 2 vbproj files (one on laptop one at work) and
>>> just
>>> copy the .vb class files that are being edited back and forth, not copy
>>> the
>>> vbproj file back and forth?
>>>
>>> I think the dotnet project is dynamic(using actual disk copy of files
>>> when
>>> opened) - as opposed to vba which copies the disk file contents into the
>>> dvb
>>> and then the disk files are not updated when the modules in the dvb are
>>> edited unless you do a manual export? so i think just updating the .vb
>>> files
>>> should work fine?
>>>
>>> any tips?
>>> thanks
>>> mark
>>>

>>> .

0
mp
2/9/2010 1:39:54 AM
ok, abandoned that one
tried the other one and it looks more hopefull
it extracted a large number of interop dlls
installation instructions in Readme.htm say to use vis studio tools| vis stu
..net command prompt
i don't have vis stu, just express
am i hosed?
is .net command prompt different from regular windows command prompt?

> Tried to install o2007pia.msi (double clicked)
> i get the following error dialog:
>
> Error 1316. Setup cannot read from the file (path to msi)\PiaRedist.msi.
> Check your connection to the network, or Cd-rom drive. For other potential
> solutions to this problem, see Setup.chm
>
> there is no Setup.chm or PiaRedist.msi in the downloaded exe
>
> anyone know about this one?
> thnaks
> mark
>
> "mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
>>I will try the PrimaryInteropAssembly.exe
>> Is there a best use practice for where to install them? Windows\System32
>> ?
>> I presume if they are compiled into a net dll they don't need installed
>> on user machines, just the developer machine?
>>
>> thanks
>> mark
>>
>> "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>>> You should use XP PIAs:
>>>
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328912
>>>
>>> and reference them from your project - this way your application will
>>> run
>>> just fine on any PC that has XP or later Office
>>>
>>> Hope this helps

0
mp
2/9/2010 2:04:57 AM
mp,

search for gacutil file on your PC, then update the path to this utility and
run register.bat from the extracted folder

"mp" wrote:

> ok, abandoned that one
> tried the other one and it looks more hopefull
> it extracted a large number of interop dlls
> installation instructions in Readme.htm say to use vis studio tools| vis stu
> ..net command prompt
> i don't have vis stu, just express
> am i hosed?
> is .net command prompt different from regular windows command prompt?
>
> thanks
> mark
>
> "mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> > Tried to install o2007pia.msi (double clicked)
> > i get the following error dialog:
> >
> > Error 1316. Setup cannot read from the file (path to msi)\PiaRedist.msi.
> > Check your connection to the network, or Cd-rom drive. For other potential
> > solutions to this problem, see Setup.chm
> >
> > there is no Setup.chm or PiaRedist.msi in the downloaded exe
> >
> > anyone know about this one?
> > thnaks
> > mark
> >
> > "mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
> >>I will try the PrimaryInteropAssembly.exe
> >> Is there a best use practice for where to install them? Windows\System32
> >> ?
> >> I presume if they are compiled into a net dll they don't need installed
> >> on user machines, just the developer machine?
> >>
> >> thanks
> >> mark
> >>
> >> "Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com>
> >> wrote in message

> .

I was thinking to maybe just install the excel interop (3 or 4 files) rather
than register.bat which installs all as far as i could tell from the readme.

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:394857C1-C70F-4B0E-8D93-3E6790405D7B@microsoft.com...
> mp,
>
> search for gacutil file on your PC, then update the path to this utility
> and
> run register.bat from the extracted folder
>
> "mp" wrote:
>
>> ok, abandoned that one
>> tried the other one and it looks more hopefull
>> it extracted a large number of interop dlls
>> installation instructions in Readme.htm say to use vis studio tools| vis
>> stu
>> ..net command prompt
>> i don't have vis stu, just express
>> am i hosed?
>> is .net command prompt different from regular windows command prompt?
>>
>> thanks
>> mark
>>
>> "mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message
>> > Tried to install o2007pia.msi (double clicked)
>> > i get the following error dialog:
>> >
>> > Error 1316. Setup cannot read from the file (path to
>> > msi)\PiaRedist.msi.
>> > Check your connection to the network, or Cd-rom drive. For other
>> > potential
>> > solutions to this problem, see Setup.chm
>> >
>> > there is no Setup.chm or PiaRedist.msi in the downloaded exe
>> >
>> > anyone know about this one?
>> > thnaks
>> > mark
>> >
>> > "mp" <nospam@thanks.com> wrote in message

>> .

0
mp
2/10/2010 12:32:49 AM
hmmm, thought I replied the other day but i don't see it.
I was thinking of just installing the ones for excel, rather than all of
them, which i think the register bat is for.
need to study the install instructions some more, but it looks like you're
saying i can run gacutil just from a regular command window?

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:394857C1-C70F-4B0E-8D93-3E6790405D7B@microsoft.com...
> mp,
>
> search for gacutil file on your PC,

then update the path to this utility

do you mean change the environment Path to include that folder?
i think so

> run register.bat from the extracted folder

so then i cd to the extracted folder and since i added the gacutil path to
env i can run from this folder
i think i get it

snip

0
mp
2/11/2010 12:34:34 AM
ok, i'm not much of a dos guy so not sure what i did wrong
I went into command prompt to add the path to gacutil to the path env var.
at command prompt i entered
Path %Path% C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin
according to the help that should have appended the 'PathToGacUtil' to the
existing path
at the time it returned the whole list with it appended, but the next time i
ran Path, it wasn't there at the end of the list
???
when i cd to the extracted folder and enter
gacutil -i Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll
i get gacutil not recognized...etc
then i check Path and the folder(to gacutil) is not there anymore

"Sergey Poberezovskiy" <SergeyPoberezovskiy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
in message news:394857C1-C70F-4B0E-8D93-3E6790405D7B@microsoft.com...
> mp,
>
> search for gacutil file on your PC, then update the path to this utility
> and
> run register.bat from the extracted folder

0
mp
2/11/2010 1:16:39 AM
mp wrote:
> ok, i'm not much of a dos guy so not sure what i did wrong
> I went into command prompt to add the path to gacutil to the path env
> var. at command prompt i entered
> Path %Path% C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin
> according to the help that should have appended the 'PathToGacUtil'
> to the existing path
> at the time it returned the whole list with it appended, but the next
> time i ran Path, it wasn't there at the end of the list

You need a semi-colon in there for the path separator and quotes around the
path because it has spaces in it:

Path %Path%;"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin"

--
Andrew

0
Andrew
2/11/2010 9:53:50 AM
"Andrew Morton" <akm@in-press.co.uk.invalid> wrote in message
> mp wrote:
>> ok, i'm not much of a dos guy so not sure what i did wrong
>> I went into command prompt to add the path to gacutil to the path env
>> var. at command prompt i entered
>> Path %Path% C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin
>> according to the help that should have appended the 'PathToGacUtil'
>> to the existing path
>> at the time it returned the whole list with it appended, but the next
>> time i ran Path, it wasn't there at the end of the list
>
> You need a semi-colon in there for the path separator and quotes around
> the path because it has spaces in it:
>
> Path %Path%;"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v6.0A\bin"
>
> --
> Andrew

Thanks, I figured out the semicolon part when i noticed my path is now
screwed up.(missing ";"   )
I'm looking for a windows way to change path so i don't have to retype whole
thing at command prompt but haven't found one (i'm afraid i'll do typo and
make it even worse)

I saw a reference to doing it through control panel but that doesn't return
the same path as the Path variable does - not even close - so dont' know
where that advice came from (on wiki i think)

0
mp

Looking for an excel function which can mirror opposite the data
Dear sir, There are 2 data sets is assumed running in A1 down, viz.: From A1 down to A10, are showing a set of number: from 1 to 10 In the cell from B1 to B10, are showing from 10 to 1, which is decreasing from 10 to 1. My question: I want to know is there any excel formula which I can place in B1 and pick A10's number; B2 pick A9's number and etc. I know there is an easy way to do it, just type "=A10" in the cell of B1, but it is quite difficult to do it when I have more than 200 number, e.g. A1 to A200. Thanks for your advice, Wilchong -- Message posted via OfficeKB...

Analysis Cubes
What are the minimum requirements for using the Excel Addin for Analysis Cubes? Do you need to have GP installed to use the Excel AddIn? I have some users that need to access GP data, but I donot want to have to install GP on their Workstations, how do I do this? I am using GP version 8.0. See below for the requirements: 1. Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Server; Windows 2000 Service Pack 2; Windows 2000 Service Pack 3; Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows Server 2003; Windows XP; Windows XP Service Pack 1 2. To use the add-in with Analysis Services 2005, the following compone...

excel #159
How do I prevent 2 files from opening up when I click on one file? What two files are opening? If it looks like: book1.xls:1 and book1.xls:2 Then you actually only have one workbook open--but you have two windows to that single workbook opening. Click on the window you don't want anymore and hit ctrl-w to close that window. Then save the workbook. ======== If that's not it, maybe you have another workbook in a folder named XLStart. Use windows start button and search for XLStart. Then look in each of those folders for a workbook file (*.xls). Move it or delete it if you'r...

where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go
where do office 2000 (including excel of course) service packs go. I don't know why they don't give you the option of downloading and saving them before installing the various program updates and service packs. This way whenever I do a fresh reformat of my computer, i need to spend hours getting all the updates again off of the internet, where as if I could save thme, I would just have to re-install. Any help would be appreciated Don't know about Office 2000......never used it, but Office Download center offers you the choice of installing or saving to install file to disk....

Number of wsheets in an excel workbook???
hey guys, how many wsheets does one excel workbook have? I need to have about 66 - is that possible? Thanks. Maria -- mariasa ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mariasa's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=31726 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=521656 Yes I have created a workbook with more sheets in it that that. obviously depending on the amount of data on each sheet your workbook could be getting quite large and possibly unmanageable! I guess you will have to try it! D...

moving text from a word document to excel
I'm moving a large amount of text from word documents to an excel spreedsheet, and I have a few questions: 1. When I copy/paste text from the document to the spreedsheet, the text will sometimes expand the cell very large. How can I keep all the cells the same size? 2. When I click on a cell that has text in it to read it, sometimes it will only show the text in a long downwards column, whereas other times it shows it as a big 'blurb' to the right side (which makes it easier to read). How can I set it up so it is not in a long column? 3. How can I insert cells without h...

Excel-Multiple Cells Being Hi-lited
Sometimes when I'm setting up a worksheet and I left-click in a cell, multiple cells in the same column are hi-lited. After it happens the first time, it continues as I move through the worksheet, reducing my ability to get work done considerably. After some trial and error, it seems to occur when I've been adding and/or deleting columns and/or rows, after a header has been installed. I can move throughout the worksheet using the arrow keys, but it is a time consuming and cumbersome technique. I think the version I'm using is Office Professional 2007 (file extensi...

Switching companies using SQL Passthrough
I have an application that uses SQL_Passthrough. As part of the code you must execute a statement that uses the appropriate database. The code looks like this: set SQL_Statements to "use MYDB"; status = SQL_Execute(SQL_connection, field SQL_Statements); This works fine, but my application can be used for any number of databases. At first, I modified it to use the Dex.ini file, which works. Here is the modification: dbname = Defaults_Read("SQLDB"); dbopencommand = "use " + dbname; set SQL_Statements to dbopencommand; status = SQL_Execute(SQL_connection,...

memory problem of Excel 2003 copy & paste
Hi all, I am using Excel 2003 for some project. I am having 2GB C drive harddisk space. After a while, the Excel begins to be extremely slow in copy and paste... It takes about half an hour to copy and paste just a few cells... I've consulted people. It seems a memory problem. But I cannot close my windows and kill the processes, because I am running long-running (overnight) jobs... I cannot reboot either. Is there a way to clean the memory and let Excel 2003 clipboard function properly without rebooting or killing my 4 long-running processes? Thanks! p.s. I am sure this is an is...

in creating a pie chart in excel 2007
How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot I once tried 360 cells and got a wonderful Moiré pattern Why not just experiment with 1, 2, 3 dozen and see for yourself if the result is acceptable ? best wishes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme "bsalohcin" <bsalohcin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F9CF7752-1816-4DCE-BF82-9C25033AE888@microsoft.com... > How many rows or columns of data can the pie chart plot According to MS:- Data series in one chart 255 (max limit) Data points in a...

Using Word 2003 in Vista: Opening dictionary shuts down Word
This is a problem in Vista; it did not occur when I used Word 2003 in XP. Whenever I try to open the dictionary in Word 2003, either by clicking its icon, or hitting Alt+click over a word, Word shuts down. Vista Business, Service Pack 2 Thinkpad T400, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU, 3GB RAM ...

Using namespaces? I've some messy nested contexts that I want to clean up...
Hi, I've got the following code structure Class A { ... private: Class B { public: enum C { ENUM X } C MyVar; C MyFunc() } } So for function definitions in B I have to write A::B::C A::B::MyFunc() and for objects of B in A if(pb->MyVar==B::ENUM_X) It's all just a bit messy. Isn't it. Someone please help. Regards. ...

Old emails not displayed (Multiple PC's using same inbox)
I have 2 machines running XP and Outlook 2000. Both mahcines are setup to using the same Exchange Server email account. When i open outlook in one machine all mail are visable is the inbox, and new mail is received correctly. But if i opne Outlook on the second machine my inbox is empty. Any new mails will appear quickly then disappear. I cannot get the second machine to display old emails. If I leave the first machine off, all new mail will stay in the second machines inbox, but if I open outlook on the second machine all mail disappears and is shown in the first machines inbox. A...

How do I make a particular column required in Excel? #2
Our NPO is creating a reimbursement chart in Excel. We're trying to make it so that if employees do not fill in one particular column entitled "Projects," they will get an error or will be unable to have a final sum filled in. Is there any way I can make this particular column required so that if it is not filled in, the chart will not complete properly? Thank you in advance for any advice or help--I'm a bit of a novice to this! ...

Excel Events Conflict with VB and C# AddIns
Hi, I have two com addins running in Excel. One is written in VB and the other in C#. Both addins are interested in the Workbookopen event. When the event is triggered the c# code captures the event but the VB code does not. If i disable the c# addin then the vb code works. Looks like the c# addin is somehow blocking the vb events. Anyone know how to fix this? Many thanks, Andy There is only one WorkbookOpen event, so once one add-in hooks it, there is nothing for the other one to hook. If you are hooking the WorkbookOpen event in your add-ins, this is likely your problem. You may need...

ProbleM: when I restore a mailbox using Exmerge with a pst file, nothing is transferred.
Hi, I am practising Exmerge for a big remote site migration in a couple of weeks. One thing I dont understand is that I can backup one test mailbox fine using Exmerge (I know this works, as I have opened the mailbox pst file within outlook and everything is there), but when I perform the restore using the pst file, nothing happens. There is no error messages, and Emerge goes through the motions (though it finishes supsiciously quick), but when I open the mailbox, no emails have been restored. Although it is great that Exmerge is working for the backup part of the stage, I am disappointed it i...

Portrait only printing in Excel
I have an interesting problem. I have a workstation (Dell Pentium IV XP PRO) that has Office 2k on it. When I/we try to print to a networked printer, the document will only print in portrait no matter what changes I make to page settings or printer settings. We are on Active Directory, so as long as the documents are submitted from a different computer, it will print fine. Any suggestions? This could be a complete waste of your time, but the first thing I'd try is to reinstall the printer driver. (maybe even get a fresh driver from the printer manufacturer's web site???) Howa...

VBA & Excel
Hi, I don't know a lot about VBA. I need to make an Exe file with VB to give 3 buttons each button starts an excel work book (book1, book2,book3). I am thinking of a form that appears on the screen. When the "Exit" button is cliked it will make an other copy of the 3 excel files on another folder (say: d:\data) for example (like a back up copy). Can any one help thanks Hi You can not make exe files with VBA. If you can use VB5 or VB6 instead then adapt the VBA code from http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbaolecontrolexcel see also http://www.erlandsendata...

Create Folders in Directory with Excel VBA?
Hi, Is there a way to create folders with a specfic names, and have them saved in a directory. I have an excel file with 250 records with my desired folder names. I want to avoid having to through the process of selecting <File | New | Folder> then naming the folder -- 250 times! I imagine there's an easier way with VBA... please help! Thanks It can be done something like this. Attatch code to a command button on the sheet. Alter code to suit your reqirements. Test on a dummy workbook first until you get it to work the way you want. Please note that there are practical lim...

copy and paste excel freeze
Hi, I am running Office 2003 in Windows 2000 Pro. try to copy the excel worksheet and paste to another new workshee takes long and the system seems freeze for a while b4 the process finish anyone have samme experience? ...

import paradox database into excel
I have a database written in programme called Paradox and I would like to fransfer it into Excel. You may find this a bit tricky, depending on the complexity of links between tables and queries within the original database. Tables hold information, and queries manipulate that data; if you need data that is the result of a Paradox query you will not, AFAIK, be able to import that to Excel. You'll have better luck if you need data from tables. In a quick web search I notice that converter software is available, which might be a fallback position in case on-board export capability withi...

Subtotal Lines in the wrong place Excel 2003
When nesting subtotals in Excel 2003, the subtotal lines are not in the correct position. Is there a fix or a work around for this problem? Example: Craft Code Crew Count BA Elec 1 BA Elec 1 BA Total 2 Elec Total 2 Hi AFAIK you should start with the subtotal for the right-most column and then add the other columns step by step -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "k2quayle" <k2quayle@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:FF252538...

Excel 97 Worksheet Protection and cell colour
Hi there, One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells that are locked (they have formulas in them), he then protects the sheet. He then wants to change the colour of some of the other cells, these cells are not locked, but he cannot change the colour of the cells. Is there an obvious solution? Cheers, Andy Hi AFAIK you can't do this in Excel 97 without first removing the protection -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany andy wrote: > Hi there, > > One of our users has setup a worksheet will a small range of cells > that are locked (they h...

Where has the data map tool gone to in Excel 2003?
Cannot find it in 2003. Was there in earlier versions of Excel. It's gone as of Exel 2002. Here is MS's statement and a link to another program for map making. http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010346591033.aspx tj "macray" wrote: > Cannot find it in 2003. Was there in earlier versions of Excel. If it still resides on the hard drive, you can use it from later Excel versions, through the Insert Object dialog. But I think uninstallation is pretty good at wiping it out. In my case, I have multiple versions of Excel installed on one machine, so Excel 2003...