Zip Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll with my application?

Hello.

I created an application that automates Excel. It looked like that if
the dll "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll" was not with my exe, the
application crashes on other PC's. Since my application doesn't
provide a set-up program (X-copy application), I would like to zip
that file with my application. Is that permitted? I tried to research
on my own but I couldn't find the answer. I even consult the lawyer in
our company but he was not able to give me a clear answer.

By the way, that dll came with Visual Studio 2010 (located at C:
\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Visual Studio Tools
for Office\PIA\Office14).
0
Sin

Sin Jeong-hun wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I created an application that automates Excel. It looked like that if
> the dll "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll" was not with my exe, the
> application crashes on other PC's. Since my application doesn't
> provide a set-up program (X-copy application), I would like to zip
> that file with my application. Is that permitted? I tried to research
> on my own but I couldn't find the answer. I even consult the lawyer in
> our company but he was not able to give me a clear answer.
>
> By the way, that dll came with Visual Studio 2010 (located at C:
> \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Visual Studio Tools
> for Office\PIA\Office14).

There is no one here who can provide legal advice to you.  However, I
would say that in general, if a DLL does not include a license that
clearly states you _may_ redistribute it, then you probably may not.  I
doubt that the Office interop DLL is redistributable.

But, I also believe it should come with Office (or at least any version
of Office it supports).  So if you don't have the interop DLL installed,
it's either because you also don't have a support version of Office
installed, or for some reason you failed to install the interop DLL with
Office.

I'm not even sure the latter is possible; I don't recall an option in
the Office install that allows you to exclude the interop DLL.  But
either way, it seems to me that the correct solution is simply to ensure
that the correct version of Office has been installed and that the
interop DLL has been installed along with it.

Pete
0
Peter
7/2/2010 3:37:07 PM
On 02-07-2010 06:57, Sin Jeong-hun wrote:
> I created an application that automates Excel. It looked like that if
> the dll "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.dll" was not with my exe, the
> application crashes on other PC's. Since my application doesn't
> provide a set-up program (X-copy application), I would like to zip
> that file with my application. Is that permitted? I tried to research
> on my own but I couldn't find the answer. I even consult the lawyer in
> our company but he was not able to give me a clear answer.
>
> By the way, that dll came with Visual Studio 2010 (located at C:
> \Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Visual Studio Tools
> for Office\PIA\Office14).

They are also downloadable separately.

Office 2007 version:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=59daebaa-bed4-4282-a28c-b864d8bfa513&displaylang=en

And since the title is "Redistributable Primary Interop Assemblies"
then I will assume that it is intended for redistribution. There
are probably a file somewhere in the kit that explains the exact
rules.

Unfortunately the Office 2010 version does not seem to
be available yet.

But I would expect it to become available soon.

Arne
0
ISO

Working with Excel #2
Dear friends! I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this? Many thanks! Hi Igor2005, > I have the following problem - I am needing to represent in Excel a number > with 20 (or more) digits. How can I do this? > That is only possible with either: - an addin (search google, there should be something for this, I recall seeing it but misplaced the link). - or by formatting the cell as text (but you won't be able to do math with the number easily then) Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel MVP www.jkp-ad...

Excel 2007 and XML with inline schema
Hi. I have XML data that I want to be more user-friendly when its opened in excel. The user can create a web Query which will return the xml to them - ( pointing to the URL with the XML information)- and they can refresh the query each time they open the document in excel. Unfortunately- they have to format the data in excel manually. I wanted to associate an inline schema with the data to format the date cells, number cells etc. but the schema is not recognised in Excel. I have been just trying to get excel to recognise an inline schema- is this possible in the Excel? Any information regardi...

Practical Jokes in Excel?
Hello - What practical jokes have you played with Excel, either VBA or just built-in features? With all of the creativity on this Board, I figure there's got to be quite a few gems out there ... One of my coworkers thinks he knows it all, so I'd like to punk him ... my initial thought was a macro that would speak something (using text-to-speech) or play a sound when a specific key is pressed (say, the SHIFT or CTRL keys). I have absolutely no idea where to start with this ... thoughts? Looking forward to seeing what's been done before! //ray On Mar 2, 12:43=...

Excel 2000- protect one column- can only be modified by one person
I need to lock one column that can only be modified by one person. Can this be done? Joe There's nothing in Excel 2000 to set user range permissions. That feature was added in Excel 2002. fyi. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "lunker55" <joec@shipwaystairs.com> wrote in message news:ObkUI8VAEHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... | I need to lock one column that can only be modified by one person. Can this | be done? | | Joe | | Thanks Jim "Jim Rech" <jrrech@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O6t8%23rWAEHA.1420@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > There's nothing in E...

microsoft Power Point Viewer 2007
I am trying to install and use PPT Viewer 2007 inmy Windows 7 OS. It appears to install, but does not show up in the Programs files and when I try to use it to open a ".pps" file in windows Mail, I receieve a mess telling me it is not a W32 application and I also receive the following windows and message: Usage: /extract.path, extracts the content of the package to the path folder /quiet, runs the package in silent mode /?,shows this help message I am unsure what this is telling me. Can some one help me get this Viewer to operate? Thanks, Rext -- ...

Office Outlook 2007
In Task section, when you click on your client and add photos of their purchases, they just show as generic icons. Is it possible to make them show as real thumbnails? Annoys me a lot being an artist. You are in the wrong newsgroup Try here: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.outlook.general&cat=en_US_db03bd1f-73aa-41e1-abfd-27a6e3c352e5&lang=en&cr=US -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Marice" <Marice@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E96D9300-619C-43C2-8503-17C12A2883CB@microsoft.com... ...

Excel loads slow
We just recently upgraded to XP SP2 with Office XP SP3. Before, on 2000, our users did not have a problem opening files from a certain directory. Now, while in Excel, the click the open folder and it takes 30-45 seconds for them to navigate to each folder in the directory. Any thoughts as to why XP is slower when drilling down through the folders? Thanks. Right-click on the My Computer icon on the Windows desktop, left-click on Disconnect Network Drive, and disconnect any mapped drives that are not currently available. Shane wrote: > We just recently upgraded to XP SP2 with Off...

project mgmt add on for excel
Is there a project management add on for excel inc. gant charts? ...

Excel For Mac 04-23-10
Several people in our company recently started to use MACs. They cannot open ..xlsx files we have created in Excel 2007. Does anyone know what the solution is to this issue. Thanks. We do not need to run macros. But they just need to open the files. Mike H. - Be sure Mac Excel 2008 has the most recent updates, currently 12.2.4, and then run the Mac disk utility to repair permissions. If you have the problem when you're using 12.2.4, I suggest posting in the very active newsgroup microsoft.public.mac.office.excel. To avoid offending some Mac users, be sure to re...

ADO.NET Failed to load msxmlsql.dll
ADO.NET Failed to load msxmlsql.dll How to fix this error? System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Failed to load msxmlsql.dll. at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior cmdBehavior, RunBehavior runBehavior, Boolean returnStream) at System.Data.SqlClient.SqlCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() am i missing something that needs to be installed on sql server? is this a client side ado.net issue? Hi Daniel, The error you're getting here is echo'd back from the SQL Server 2005 instance you are trying to connect to - it's not a client side issue. The OpenXML ...

How to sync my office and home PC?
I use a laptop to connect to the Exchange Server at work. What is the best way to synchronize the Outlook calendars, tasks and notes between the work laptop and the home desktop? "Jerry" <duncan_jeremy@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O1lC$OaFFHA.3384@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I use a laptop to connect to the Exchange > Server at work. > > What is the best way to synchronize the > Outlook calendars, tasks and notes > between the work laptop and the home > desktop? > > One way may be to use a PDA and set up the Sync software on both PCs. J...

Out of office in exchange server 5.5
Hello, Is there a way to set out of office reply on the email server rather than at the client's machine? Because if the client's machine is off, there will not be any replies sent. I am using the internet mail connector in exchange server 5.5. Thank you See reply to your later post in here. leo wrote: > Hello, > > Is there a way to set out of office reply on the email server rather > than at the client's machine? Because if the client's machine is off, > there will not be any replies sent. I am using the internet mail > connector in exchange server 5.5...

Copy a word doc to excel and hyperlink data between the 2.
I have a chart on an excel document and a long word document explaining the data in the chart. I would like to place the word document under the chart in excel. Then I would like to hyperlink the data from the chart to specific places in the word document. Help.....I have been trying to figure it out for days. Thank you. ...

bmp files in Excel Hyperlinks open with wrong program
I have a list of tools in Excel, and I have used Excel's hyperlinking feature to allow displaying a picture of the tool by clicking the link. They always open with Paint, regardless of what I do in the "Folder Options >> File Types" box. I have customized the .BMP file type by adding "Edit with Paint" and "Edit with PhotoEditor" entries to the default settings. Does Excel look for the entry actually labeled "Open" or does it just grab the first entry from the list? (in this case, "Edit with Paint" is first, because they are ...

Excel 2007 convert into tab delimeter text file with extra tab spa
Hi , Sub: I have excel 2007 trying to save as tab delimeted text file having an issue. I have saved my excel 2007 as separate Tab delimited Text files. I see extra tabs stored in the tab delimited text files. But when I do the same with excel 2003 it works fine there is not extra tabs stored in my tab delimited text file. My excel 2007 conveted to tab delimited text file looks like as shown below(Extra two tabs at the end of the each record). Data0<Tab>data1<Tab><Tab> Data2<Tab>data3<Tab><Tab> Appreciate your help in advance. Rega...

Bug Report
On Mac ----------- Construct linear plot in Excel including: 1. Title 2. X-axis label 3. Y-axis label Copy and Paste into Word Save and send to PC On PC ---------- Open file in Word Notice Y-axis label is gone I'm a Biochemistry student who uses Excel to do lots of number crunching. I use a 1.25G Powerbook G4 with OS X 10.4.3 and the newest version of Office. I copy plots from Excel to Word often when writing reports without any problems. Recently, I've began submitting reports electronically via email and my professor uses a PC. When he opens my files, Y-axis labels are mis...

Temporary Excel files.
Hi, does anyone know where Excel stores its temp files to managing multiple opened copies of the same workbook? Word stores its lock files in same directory of the opened document, but Excel? Thanks in advance for the answers. Alex On a single user (non-networked pc), excel will put a few files in your windows temp folder. But I think it does more than just that. (Just guessing!) When the workbook is on a network, excel/windows is smart enough to be able to tell that second person the the file is in use. If the only indicator were on the first user's temp file, then the seco...

VBA to export large tables from Excel to SQL Server

Import into Access from Excel, passing a variable as the field...
Hello all, I have an Excel spreadsheet with a header that contains the exact same 30 names as the corresponding 30 fields in an Access DB table, and Row 2 below the Header contains the data I want to import. Instead, of physically typing all 30 fields in the code, I have a macro that loops through each "field" name that it got from the spreadsheet header. When I run this macro I get "run-time error '3265' Item not found in this collection', however, when I specify the actual field Name manually it works. This what I have: Dim iColumn As Integer Dim FieldName As ...

when inserting a chart excel is saying i cannot add any new fonts
When I attempt to insert a chart i am getting a message which says,"no new fonts may be added to this workbook". I am adding it to a billing process and I did the first 100 or so before it began this doing this, I am not adding any new fonts but I am getting this message, any suggestions on what is the cause so I can overcome it? I've described the problem and fix here: Error: "No more new fonts may be applied in this workbook" http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/FixFonts.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://peltier...

Excel 97 on Windows XP data sort error
I have had sorting errors using Excel 97 running on Windows XP. Is there a fix for this? I check Excel updates and the microsoft website says I already have all updates. Please tell what sort of errors. "Steve P" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00af01c39601$ad0c3d20$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have had sorting errors using Excel 97 running on > Windows XP. Is there a fix for this? I check Excel > updates and the microsoft website says I already have all > updates. Sort errors are almost always data problems. You might have numeri...

CWinApp Setting application icon
In CWinApp I can set the application title by changing the data member m_pszAppName. This title then appears in the top left of the application window. Just to the title's right is a logo icon which is defaulted to the MFC icon. I'd like to change it to the applications icon. How is that done? Thanks, Neil Look in your resources for an icon with the id IDR_MAINFRAME and modify that. A point to be careful is that an Icon can have entries for different sizes and colors. If you are simply going to edit that instead of the changing the file that it points to, make sure that you d...

Excel saved as Word
A colleague opened a spreadsheet in Word, made changes and saved it. Now it cannot be opened in Excel and only the first Worksheet is available. Anyone dealt with this? Thanks! > Anyone dealt with this? Yup - killed the colleague. Not much you can do unless you have a backup. In article <976401c3ea61$1d23f950$a601280a@phx.gbl>, "Dean" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > A colleague opened a spreadsheet in Word, made changes and > saved it. Now it cannot be opened in Excel and only the > first Worksheet is available. Anyone dealt with th...

Excel Font Problem
Every time I enter a number <1 into my Excel worksheet, it prints in white which is too hard to see. I have the font set at black. How do I get ALL the numbers to print in black One thing to possibly check: 1. Tools > Options > Color and try Reset. HTH Select those cells and see what Format>Conditional Formattting reveals. Sounds like you have a setting that whites the font on values <1 Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 08:09:04 -0700, Heather S <Heather S@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Every time I enter a number <1 into my Excel worksheet, ...

Memories of Lotus 1-2-3
Way back in the deep dark recesses of my memory I seem to recall some way of extracting all unique values of a certain field from a database in Lotus 1-2-3 to a different portion of the spreadsheet. I have a need to do the same thing now, but like most of the world, I am using Excel now. I can't seem to figure out how to get this done in Excel...in Lotus...I think it was with a data - extract command. Thanks for the help !! Put a label cell on top of the column containing the data Click on the label cell and then pulldown: Data > Filter > Advanced Filter... Check Copy to a...