Windows Image Acquisition library problems

I am trying to add some simple scanning code to an app to use my WIA
compliant scanner. I have downloaded and installed the WIAAUT.DLL I
found some sample C#.NET code that uses WIA and have a simple test app
that will invoke my scanner's WIA driver UI that lets me run a preview
scan, mask the area I want to scan, adjust the DPI, etc, and then
scan. All well and good.

Here's the rub. It doesn't matter what value I pass to the FormatID
property, the returned ImageFile object is ALWAYS in Window BMP
format!! I want to save as JPG. But the saved file is always the same
exact length and an image editor says that they are all BMP files.

I have found some code that uses the WIA ImageProcess class that can
convert a BMP file to a JPG file, but why should I have to do that?

Sample Code:

using System;
using System.Collections.Generic;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Data;
using System.Drawing;
using System.Drawing.Imaging;
using System.Linq;
using System.Text;
using System.Windows.Forms;
using WIA;

namespace WIAScanner
{
    public partial class Form1 : Form
    {
        public Form1()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
        }

        private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            WIA.CommonDialogClass scanner;
            ImageFile imageObject;

            scanner = new CommonDialogClass();
            imageObject = scanner.ShowAcquireImage
(WiaDeviceType.ScannerDeviceType, WiaImageIntent.ColorIntent,
WiaImageBias.MinimizeSize,
                ImageFormat.Jpeg.Guid.ToString("B"), false, true,
true);
            MessageBox.Show(string.Format("File Extension = {0}\n
\nFormat = {1}", imageObject.FileExtension, imageObject.FormatID));
            imageObject.SaveFile(@"E:\test.jpg");
            MessageBox.Show("Done");
        }
    }
}
0
Joe

Hi,

If you have been reading the group recently, you will have seen that I have
been having WIA problems, but a different set of problems. I am using the
Transfer rather than ShowAcquireImage so that I don't pop-up the scanner
interface and have more buttons to press.

However, I noticed that same issue. I also noticed that I had to
specifically set the resolution of the scanner to get a reasonable file size
as it tended to scan at max resolution. However, as you are using the
interface, it should take your interface details.

I also noticed that if I set the scanner colour settings AFTER I set the
resolution, my resolution settings would also be reset.

I don't have an answer to the problem you are raising, but have accepted
that if I want to ensure it is a jpg and control the compression settings,
then I have to use the filters.

--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

"Joe Cool" <joecool1969@live.com> wrote in message
>I am trying to add some simple scanning code to an app to use my WIA
> compliant scanner. I have downloaded and installed the WIAAUT.DLL I
> found some sample C#.NET code that uses WIA and have a simple test app
> that will invoke my scanner's WIA driver UI that lets me run a preview
> scan, mask the area I want to scan, adjust the DPI, etc, and then
> scan. All well and good.
>
> Here's the rub. It doesn't matter what value I pass to the FormatID
> property, the returned ImageFile object is ALWAYS in Window BMP
> format!! I want to save as JPG. But the saved file is always the same
> exact length and an image editor says that they are all BMP files.
>
> I have found some code that uses the WIA ImageProcess class that can
> convert a BMP file to a JPG file, but why should I have to do that?
>
> Sample Code:
>
> using System;
> using System.Collections.Generic;
> using System.ComponentModel;
> using System.Data;
> using System.Drawing;
> using System.Drawing.Imaging;
> using System.Linq;
> using System.Text;
> using System.Windows.Forms;
> using WIA;
>
> namespace WIAScanner
> {
>    public partial class Form1 : Form
>    {
>        public Form1()
>        {
>            InitializeComponent();
>        }
>
>        private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
>        {
>            WIA.CommonDialogClass scanner;
>            ImageFile imageObject;
>
>            scanner = new CommonDialogClass();
>            imageObject = scanner.ShowAcquireImage
> (WiaDeviceType.ScannerDeviceType, WiaImageIntent.ColorIntent,
> WiaImageBias.MinimizeSize,
>                ImageFormat.Jpeg.Guid.ToString("B"), false, true,
> true);
>            MessageBox.Show(string.Format("File Extension = {0}\n
> \nFormat = {1}", imageObject.FileExtension, imageObject.FormatID));
>            imageObject.SaveFile(@"E:\test.jpg");
>            MessageBox.Show("Done");
>        }
>    }
> }

0
David
12/16/2009 4:01:56 PM
On Dec 16, 11:01=A0am, "David"
<david.colliver.N...@revilloc.REMOVETHIS.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you have been reading the group recently, you will have seen that I ha=
ve
> been having WIA problems, but a different set of problems. I am using the
> Transfer rather than ShowAcquireImage so that I don't pop-up the scanner
> interface and have more buttons to press.
>
> However, I noticed that same issue. I also noticed that I had to
> specifically set the resolution of the scanner to get a reasonable file s=
ize
> as it tended to scan at max resolution. However, as you are using the
> interface, it should take your interface details.
>
> I also noticed that if I set the scanner colour settings AFTER I set the
> resolution, my resolution settings would also be reset.
>
> I don't have an answer to the problem you are raising, but have accepted
> that if I want to ensure it is a jpg and control the compression settings=
,
> then I have to use the filters.

I have not tested the sample code I found for conversion, but it
appears to just convert BMP (or whatever) to JPG. How do  you adjust
the compression settings with the filters?

> --
> Best regards,
> Dave Colliver.http://www.AshfieldFOCUS.com
> ~~http://www.FOCUSPortals.com- Local franchises available
>
> "Joe Cool" <joecool1...@live.com> wrote in message

> >I am trying to add some simple scanning code to an app to use my WIA
> > compliant scanner. I have downloaded and installed the WIAAUT.DLL I
> > found some sample C#.NET code that uses WIA and have a simple test app
> > that will invoke my scanner's WIA driver UI that lets me run a preview
> > scan, mask the area I want to scan, adjust the DPI, etc, and then
> > scan. All well and good.
>
> > Here's the rub. It doesn't matter what value I pass to the FormatID
> > property, the returned ImageFile object is ALWAYS in Window BMP
> > format!! I want to save as JPG. But the saved file is always the same
> > exact length and an image editor says that they are all BMP files.
>
> > I have found some code that uses the WIA ImageProcess class that can
> > convert a BMP file to a JPG file, but why should I have to do that?
>
> > Sample Code:
>
> > using System;
> > using System.Collections.Generic;
> > using System.ComponentModel;
> > using System.Data;
> > using System.Drawing;
> > using System.Drawing.Imaging;
> > using System.Linq;
> > using System.Text;
> > using System.Windows.Forms;
> > using WIA;
>
> > namespace WIAScanner
> > {
> > =A0 =A0public partial class Form1 : Form
> > =A0 =A0{
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0public Form1()
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0{
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0InitializeComponent();
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}
>
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0{
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0WIA.CommonDialogClass scanner;
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0ImageFile imageObject;
>
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0scanner =3D new CommonDialogClass();
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0imageObject =3D scanner.ShowAcquireImage
> > (WiaDeviceType.ScannerDeviceType, WiaImageIntent.ColorIntent,
> > WiaImageBias.MinimizeSize,
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0ImageFormat.Jpeg.Guid.ToString("B"), fal=
se, true,
> > true);
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0MessageBox.Show(string.Format("File Extension =
=3D {0}\n
> > \nFormat =3D {1}", imageObject.FileExtension, imageObject.FormatID));
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0imageObject.SaveFile(@"E:\test.jpg");
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0MessageBox.Show("Done");
> > =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0}
> > =A0 =A0}
> > }
0
Joe
12/16/2009 4:44:06 PM
This is how I am doing it...

            WIA.ImageProcess ImageProcess1 = new WIA.ImageProcess();

            Object Ob1 = null;
            Object Ob2 = null;

            Ob1 = (Object)"Convert";
            ImageProcess1.Filters.Add(ImageProcess1.FilterInfos.get_Item(ref
Ob1).FilterID, 0);

            Ob1 = (Object)"FormatID";
            Ob2 = (Object)WIA.FormatID.wiaFormatJPEG;
            ImageProcess1.Filters[1].Properties.get_Item(ref
Ob1).set_Value(ref Ob2);

            Ob1 = (Object)"Quality";
            Ob2 = ScanQuality;
            ImageProcess1.Filters[1].Properties.get_Item(ref
Ob1).set_Value(ref Ob2);

            Ob1 = null;
            Ob2 = null;

The ScanQuality is a setting I have stored in my app.config file. It is a
value between 1 and 100, the higher the number, the higher the quality (the
lower the compression and the larger the file). I have mine set to 70

--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

"Joe Cool" <joecool1969@live.com> wrote in message
On Dec 16, 11:01 am, "David"
> [...]

> > using WIA;
>
> > namespace WIAScanner
> > {
> > public partial class Form1 : Form
> > {
> > public Form1()
> > {
> > InitializeComponent();
> > }
>
> > private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
> > {
> > WIA.CommonDialogClass scanner;
> > ImageFile imageObject;
>
> > scanner = new CommonDialogClass();
> > imageObject = scanner.ShowAcquireImage
> > (WiaDeviceType.ScannerDeviceType, WiaImageIntent.ColorIntent,
> > WiaImageBias.MinimizeSize,
> > ImageFormat.Jpeg.Guid.ToString("B"), false, true,
> > true);
> > MessageBox.Show(string.Format("File Extension = {0}\n
> > \nFormat = {1}", imageObject.FileExtension, imageObject.FormatID));

0
David
12/16/2009 5:30:22 PM
Oops, I forgot a little bit to add to it... once you have set the filter,
you apply it to your scan...

ImageObject = ImageProcess1.Apply(ImageObject);

This has to be done after your scan.
--
Best regards,
Dave Colliver.

> [...]

> > using WIA;
>
> > namespace WIAScanner
> > {
> > public partial class Form1 : Form
> > {
> > public Form1()
> > {
> > InitializeComponent();
> > }
>
> > private void button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
> > {
> > WIA.CommonDialogClass scanner;
> > ImageFile imageObject;
>
> > scanner = new CommonDialogClass();
> > imageObject = scanner.ShowAcquireImage
> > (WiaDeviceType.ScannerDeviceType, WiaImageIntent.ColorIntent,
> > WiaImageBias.MinimizeSize,
> > ImageFormat.Jpeg.Guid.ToString("B"), false, true,
> > true);
> > MessageBox.Show(string.Format("File Extension = {0}\n
> > \nFormat = {1}", imageObject.FileExtension, imageObject.FormatID));

0
David
12/16/2009 5:32:57 PM
Joe Cool <joecool1969@live.com> wrote:

>I am trying to add some simple scanning code to an app to use my WIA
>compliant scanner. I have downloaded and installed the WIAAUT.DLL I
>found some sample C#.NET code that uses WIA and have a simple test app
>that will invoke my scanner's WIA driver UI that lets me run a preview
>scan, mask the area I want to scan, adjust the DPI, etc, and then
>scan. All well and good.
>
>Here's the rub. It doesn't matter what value I pass to the FormatID
>property, the returned ImageFile object is ALWAYS in Window BMP
>format!! I want to save as JPG. But the saved file is always the same
>exact length and an image editor says that they are all BMP files.
>
>I have found some code that uses the WIA ImageProcess class that can
>convert a BMP file to a JPG file, but why should I have to do that?

Similar to most architectures like it, a WIA provider is not required to
hand you exactly what you ask for.  You ask for what you want, and the WIA
provider gets as close as it can.

Having said that, I'm surprised you can't get JPEG.  Almost all WIA
providers do both BMP and JPEG.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

professional service tools library download
Hi, can somebody tell me where I can download professional service tools library? I have contacted microsoft, but they didn't answer my questions. Is there a demo version for GP 7.5? You should be able to search for it and find it. I think it's also on the CD. If not, send me a message. You can use it with the sample company. "ano" wrote: > Hi, can somebody tell me where I can download professional service tools > library? I have contacted microsoft, but they didn't answer my questions. > Is there a demo version for GP 7.5? Hi, allen. I have tried search...

Outlook 2002 problem with Eudora
We have a computer that is running Office XP and using Outlook 2002 for their email. Another computer in our office is a MAC that is using Eudora 6.0.1. If the MAC user sends any attachment in their email to the computer running Outlook 2002, the attachments do not come through. If the MAC user sends the same email to a computer in the same office running Outlook 2000, the attachments come through and they are able to open it. The file type is not one that is blocked by XP, we have sent PDF, EXCEL and Word files and none are received. Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks...

Separate Thread with top-level window in MFC DLL
I would greatly appreciate any thoughts or insights people have on an issue I am facing. I am trying to create a DLL that will export a single function. This function, when called, spawns a new thread with its own top-level CFrameWnd. The thread should process all messages for that CFrameWnd. It looks like most applications that will use DLL will be MFC-based but not 100% of them. I am currently creating a regular MFC DLL (not an extension). The CWinApp in that DLL does not have a main window initially (set to NULL). In the exported function, I execute a AfxBeginThread to create the new thre...

Combo Box problem 05-07-07
I have a combo control on a form that has when I select a value the form reverts to the first record it doesn't stay with the current record. I have a NotinList procedure that opens another form to enable the user to add to the list of values in the combo control and when I close this second form the new value is recorded but again the form goes to the first record and doesn't stay with the current one. Anyone any ideas where I can start looking for the reason why this happens? Thanks Tony Tony Williams wrote: > I have a combo control on a form that has when I select a val...

outlook 2003 problem
hello... my clients have mentioned a "problem" and i am stumped on what to do with it on user accounts that have been renamed because a user left and we wanted the new user to take over their account, after changing the display name, alias, etc. when typing part of their last name in outlook, in the brackets next to it, outlook still shows the prior users login name (i have changed the login name, alias, etc..) all any idea on how to correct this? thanks ed On Thu, 20 Apr 2006 12:45:16 -0400, "Eddie Walker" <ewalker3REMOVEME@prodigy.net> wrote: >hello...

Excel Time Problem
I exported a file from a telephone switch reporting system as a "tab separated text" file, because when I export the data in Excel I have to deal with merged cells and other formatting problems. I have a couple of columns that have time values like 160:02:05 for logged in time, and 34:16:46 as the waiting dime� Both are time �DURATIONS� or time in a state. I used the Format, Cell, custom and [ss] to get the duration value to seconds, and I get 123406 and 576125 respectively. I then use these numbers in a calculation typically like 1338 / (576125 - 123406) and I get 219 as the an...

Problems with MS-DateTime-Picker 6.0
My userform has a Multipage control on top. My Microsoft Date-Time-Picker 6.0 Control is sitting on "Page 1" of the Multi-page control. If I change to "Page 2" and try to access the ".Value" of the DTPicker control, it will return an error value. (It is returning the year 1899). What is wrong here? Does the DTPicker need to be on the visible page to be used?? Are there any other things I should know about this DTPicker control? Robert, You could assign the DTPicker's value to a public date variable in its change event. HTH, Be...

Upgrade from Money 2004 to Money 2005
I just upgraded from Money 2004 to Money 2005, and 2 of my accounts (a savings account and a credit card) showed significantly different balances from the last time I looked at them in Money 2004. It seems that, for some reason, when it converted my 2004 file to 2005, it only grabbed a portion of the transactions, and considered the balance as of just before the first transaction it grabbed to be $0, when both accounts actually had non-zero balances at that time. Am I missing something, or is Money 2005 just that poorly designed? In microsoft.public.money, dbrebel wrote: >I just upgrade...

Windows Mail recovering messages
I need to reinstall Vista so what is the best way to save/recover existing mail messages/settings? See www.oehelp.com/backup.aspx You need to backup the message store and the relevant registry keys. Then, once reinstalled, just replace the location of the message store and merge the registry keys. Then before starting Winmail make sure the "Store Root" value in the registry correctly lists the location of the message store and if so then start Winmail and it should work fine, except you will have to put in your passwords again. steve "Therealdaddydo" ...

Duplication of same page in same window. How to reverse?
Have duplication of one page in window. How can I return to single page display in window? Thanks - On Jan 11, 11:32=A0pm, Questions. I've got questions...... <Questions. I've got questions......@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Have duplication of one page in window. =A0How can I return to single pag= e > display in window? > Thanks - Click on the bar between the two halves and drag it up to the top (or down to the bottom) of the window. Or, if this is Word 2003 or earlier, use Window | Remove Split. Or, if you are using Side by Side windows, cli...

Re: Two-Column Problem
After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Charley Kyd <kyd@incsight.com>... > But now, when I add a pair of pages, Publisher gives me guides for two > columns per page but gives me only one page-wide textbox per page, > not two. Can't you create your text boxes yourself? Or change the text box that appears to a two-column one? -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm ...

Enabling FBA problem
Hello, I have one exchange 2000 server installed on win 2k,and everything works fine. When I try to enable forms based authentication with Exch system manager on HTTP virtual server, I receive this error "You must use the IIS Admin to manage this virtual server's settings", but when I start IIS admin console I don't see that option. Can anyone help me with this General wrote: > Hello, > > I have one exchange 2000 server installed on win 2k,and everything works > fine. > When I try to enable forms based authentication with Exch system manager on > HTTP...

Pivot Table Refresh Problems
Hi All: Hoping that someone can help. I am trying to refresh a pivot table using the following code which was inserted on the Daily Production Output Sheet(both sheets in the same workbook). I am using Excel 2003 Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate() 'If data on this worksheet changes, refresh the pivot table Sheets("Daily Production Output").PivotTables("PivotTable3").RefreshTable End Sub The Calculation has been set to Automatic. However when I try to run the above code I am getting the following error" Run Time error 1044, Application defined or Object defin...

Open windows explorer
Does anyone know how to have a cell "hyperlink" to windows explorer open to a particular folder? Right-click the cell, select Hyperlink and point to your folder. -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Error in posting 4 times! Frustrating problems with html signatures and styles (normal.dot)
I just learned that the message posted 4 times; I thought I had canceled the previous posts where I had not filled in the right newsgroups.... On my machine, it only shows posted 1 time; but I guess that the news server does not support cancellations of posts. Sorry about that...... ...

a larger window to view the files
Hello, When I click on the "FILE, OPEN" menu items I get a dialogue box showing a list of all the Excel files on my directory and then I can chose the file I want to open. Often, before I select which file I want, I need to resize the columns (Name, Size, type, modified) within that dialogue box to look at various properties and it would be ever so useful if there existed a Macro or utility that presented the list of files in a somewhat larger window so that I did not need to move the column widths each time. Needless to say, this does not just apply to Excel but that is a prog I ...

vlookup problem #3
I am trying to a vlookup on formatted text. I I had a long string and extracted certain characters from it using the "mid" function. Now if do a vlookup on the extracted list it doesnt work. But if I were t actually type in the values in the extracted list the vlookup start working. I tried changing the format of the extracted list to general number and text..nothing works. Can anybody please tell me what I am doing wrong? I know my vlookup i correct because it works when i type the values in the table array. thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Check to be ...

FRx Export problem
Hi all, Hope someone can help. One of our users is trying to do an export from FRx to excel but is faced with the following error: Error 200 Application-defined or Object-defined error. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is happening? Many thanks Grant ...

mvps.org Restricted Site problem
WinXP/SP3/IE8 For some reason when I go to some pages of the MVPS.ORG stie (HostFile page specifically, but also others) the task bar displays "Restricted Site" and IE8 will not let me download the host file. The Restricted Site list (tools/internet options/security tab) has no entry for mvps.org that I can find but the Trusted Site list has the mvps host file page specifically listed. Can any one give me a means to correct this problem. P.S. I've made no entries into either site, AdAware and SpyBot must have made all entries. Thanks. ...

Help!!! Migration Problem!
Morning Guys, We're migrating from one Windows 2003 domain to another (acquisition). DomainA.lab - Forest Trust 2000, Domain Trust 2003 DomainB.lab - Forest Trust 2003, Domain Trust 2003 Migration from DomainA.lab to DomainB.lab - Trust relationship external, 2-way, Domain Wide Authentication Side Filtering disabled on both domain and I can also see the SID History attribute which is correct Problem: Users in domainA cant can't access SOME shares on domainB computers. The SIDHistory attribute in DomainB matches the SID of the group in DomainA, but still no luck. Any su...

hyperlink Problem #5
I am unable to launch a PDF document in word/excel XP/2003 using the Hyperlink facility. Every other type of document launches OK, but not PDF, even from the same folder. Any ideas? Acrobat reader flashes onscreen for fraction of a second, and disappears. Everything else works fine. Opens and stays open for me (Excel 2003). Doesn't seem to be an Excel issue else it wouldn't open at all. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Brian Mateer" <Brian Mateer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6C9F7218-86EF-44AF-92A5-2C91C9733C85@microsoft.com... |I am unable to launch ...

Hyperlink new window
How do I get a hyperlink to open up a new Internet Explorer window (i.e., I don't want people to have to back out of the linked website to get back to mine). Please refer to existing threads in correct forum. See the thread "Open in New Window" isn't appearing as an option" posted yesterday in microsoft.public.publisher.webdesign -- David Bartosik - MS MVP for Publisher help: www.davidbartosik.com enter to win Pub 2003: www.davidbartosik.com/giveaway.aspx "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F49A8EDA-030E-4826-927D-A97F7442DB...

Outlook 2007 Pop-up Window
For my application I have no use for the Location Information Pop-up window. When I enter a phone number in Contacts it activates and the only way I have found to turn it off is to use the Wndows Task Manager and kill Outlook, which I am starting to take some saticfaction in. Is there any way to turn the Pop-up off or better yet, dissabling it from activating? Thank you "Tim L" <Tim L@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE5CDEA3-D7EA-446F-923C-D2695C345C80@microsoft.com... > For my application I have no use for the Location Information Pop-...

Excel File Does Not Open From Windows Explorer
When I try to open a MS Excel file from Windows Explore, MS Excel starts but the file will not open. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem. Thanks in advance! Dwight Dwight, Tools, options, general make sure the 'ignore other applications' is not selected. If this does not sort out the problem you may need to go to this as in this post from Beth Melton which we found when we had the same problem and it solved it. ***************************************************** It sounds like is a problem with the file associations. Go to Start/Run and run this command: Excel /re...

multithreading problem
Hi, I have a Dialog based application, and in my CPingPongDld class a I've got a pointer: CSimpleEngine *SimpleEngine; and static method: static UINT ThreadFunc (LPVOID pParam); I create CSimpleEngine object in OnInitDialog() SimpleEngine = new CSimpleEngine(rect,this); and after it I call: AfxBeginThread(ThreadFunc, this); I would like to call one of CSimpleEngine methods in ThreadFunc so the function looks like this: UINT CPingPongDlg::ThreadFunc(LPVOID pParam) { CPingPongDlg *This = (CPingPongDlg*)pParam; This->SimpleEngine->EnterMessageLoop(); ret...