Tool for comparing two versions of a codebase???

Hello,

Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?

Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
the reference solution.

I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various
projects. I change some code in
various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
a new solution.

Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have
a tool report to me which
changes have occured.

Are there any good tools for this?

I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
in C.

Thanks.

0
Bert

Bert wrote:

> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?

http://winmerge.org/ ?
0
Jason
7/2/2010 2:27:38 PM
Bert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions? [...]

Maybe.  It depends on what you're actually looking for.

If you're trying to do a comparison of the source code, Visual Studio
comes with WinDiff, which can do that.  There are also other programs to
do the same, such as the WinMerge that Jason suggested.

If you're trying to do a comparison of the binaries, that's a bit
harder.  There's a program called BitDiffer that does an okay job as
long as the changes are mainly about what's been added, and the names of
namespaces, types and type members in the older DLL have remained the
same.  But it doesn't handle renaming very well.  As long as you aren't
concerned with that, it might work for you.

Pete
0
Peter
7/2/2010 3:41:34 PM
It happens that Bert formulated :
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?
>
> Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
> the reference solution.
>
> I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various projects.
> I change some code in
> various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
> a new solution.
>
> Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have a
> tool report to me which
> changes have occured.
>
> Are there any good tools for this?
>
> I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
> in C.
>
> Thanks.

Sounds like you need a good source control tool.  Most of them will let
you do version comparisons, etc, as part of the standard package.

There are many excelent, and free, source control tools out there, so
there is really no good reason not to use one.  My personal faviorite
is svn - using tortoise svn on the client....

--
Tom Shelton

0
Tom
7/2/2010 4:08:00 PM
Bert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any good tools for comparing two C# solutions?
>
> Let's say I have several c# projects in a solution. Let's call that solution
> the reference solution.
>
> I make a copy of the reference solution. I add some code in various
> projects. I change some code in
> various projects. I delete some projects. I add new projects and end up with
> a new solution.
>
> Now I want to compare the reference solution with the new solution and have
> a tool report to me which
> changes have occured.
>
> Are there any good tools for this?
>
> I am also looking for a tool which will do the same thing for projects coded
> in C.
>
> Thanks.

Yep. Your brain.
0
Sjouke

emailing link from Explorer tool bar
Prior to the installation of xp ( i used to use millenium) when I "send a link" from IE 6.0 it opens Outlook Express as it should but adds the url as an attachment rather than in the body of the email which I prefer. I can't find any setting adjustments on OE 6 or IE 6. Anyone with any ideas? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97-2003 from the Office family for Windows PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5...

Add the contents of two sheets together
I am looking for a way to add the content of two sheets or even 1 shee together. I have a large list of part numbers with quantities. Som of the part numbers are repeated. I would like to add the duplicat part number quantities together and have just 1 line with the par number and the total quantity. Does anyone have any insight? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Sounds like a job for a pivot table. See here for an intro: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm -- Andy. "mwiggins367 >" <<mwiggins367.16x77f@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote...

Synchronising two copies of Outlook 2003
I don't think it has ever been possible to synchronise Outlook on two PCs before. Is there any improvement to this in Office 2003? I'm not using Exchange or anything, just using a PC and a laptop at different times to access the same POP3 account. >-----Original Message----- >I don't think it has ever been possible to synchronise >Outlook on two PCs before. Is there any improvement to >this in Office 2003? I'm not using Exchange or anything, >just using a PC and a laptop at different times to access >the same POP3 account. >. >If you are using...

how to calculate seconds elapsed between two moments?
I need the number of seconds between two moments. A1: 14:10:00 A2: 14:15:00 Difference is 5 minutes = 300 seconds. What formula(/cell format) do I need to use to get the number 300 in the result cell? When I use the formula A2-A1 I get a 00:05:00 (in time format) 0.003472222 (in General format) When I use Second(a2-a1) I get 0 how to get 300 ?? Wim Custom format the cell containing the formula to: [ss] The square brackets prevent the seconds from rolling over to minutes and / or hours when they're greater then 60. -- HTH, RD =====================================================...

Merge cells in two columns
Hi I have a worksheet with 300 rows Is it possible to merge 2 adjacent columns in one or two steps without having to do each one individually I've just learnt how to merge 2 adjacent cells to include all data in the range in the merged cell column C has the word 'dist' in ever row column D has numbers from 1 to 14 in random order using Excel 2000 Martin ���� >>Is it possible to merge 2 adjacent columns in one or two steps without having to do each one individually Easy, but you have to use a menu choice not shown on the menus by default. Do a View, Toolbars, Custom...

CRM International Versions
I understand that in v1.2 that each language must be its own server/db - anyone have any prescriptive guidance or "block diagram" on how these seperate servers "roll up" for Sales Management? Is this handled by the organizational/business unit structures? Also - will the requirement for seperate systems hold true in version 3.0? No multi-lingual support in the upcoming v3.0, although Microsoft says they are committed to doing it some day. Any aggregation of the separate CRM implemenations would have to be done by you, or a third party - likely a data warehouse of s...

Office H&S 2007 over a trial version
I am trying to install on a Compaq laptop that came bundled with Office 2007. It expired so I bought the student edition. It gives an error when trying to install. The error it gives is real generic:"Setup encountered an error" and that's it. I tried to uninstall what came with the laptop, but that also gives an error when uninstallling. I have came up in safe mode and tried to uninstall, same problem. I have tried the fixit program from MS. It runs and looks like it works, but I can still not install the student edition. Any one have any ideas? thanks. ...

Preventing other users saving another version of protected workboo
I have protected a workbook with locked cells and unlocked cells that can be edited. I would like to prevent the user from "saving as" and abusing the protection. Is this possible? Saving As will not alter the protection. "Laura Cook" <laura.cook@strand.ltd.uk.(nospam)> wrote in message news:B8ED3CA2-108C-48D3-8D08-FA233E136A7B@microsoft.com... >I have protected a workbook with locked cells and unlocked cells that can >be > edited. I would like to prevent the user from "saving as" and abusing the > protection. Is this possible? ...

two linked files maintained by Sharepoint
Currently, I have one excel file which has both data entry and charting in it, Roughly about 3Mb file. I would to split this document into two pieces: the data entry portion and the charting portion, where "chart.xls" would reference the cells in tdataEntry.xls" The data entry portion is too complex, to store just as a complex list in Sharepoint. But we don't need to have each use check in/check out the entire 3 MB each time. 1. It is possible to have two linked Excel documents in Sharepoint? Thus, a user could to check out only the "dataEntry.xls" or both...

Macros failing in different language versions of Word
My company wants to standardize on templates across several countries - we have offices in many countries, but for simplicity I will just talk about UK and Sweden. My problem is that some features in the English version of Word do not work in the Swedish version of Word. For example, StylRef. I use StyleRef in the header margin to refer to "Heading 1" style. The problem is that it is not called "Heading 1" in the Swedish version of Word. It is called "Rubrik 1", which translates back to "Heading 1" of course. In the UK we use many macro...

PDK in two companies
We are setting up a second company within PDK. Can I be an administrator/delegate for other time sheets if I am not an employee of this company? We are on GP 10 Can anyone please reply with an answer to this question? My payroll person posted this and we need to get this answered ASAP. "ASMAIL" wrote: > We are setting up a second company within PDK. Can I be an > administrator/delegate for other time sheets if I am not an employee of this > company? > > We are on GP 10 Still no replies here? Anyone? "DavidM" wrote: > Can any...

Throwing two dice and print out the total of each throw
in the days of line numbers i build a short programme to simulate the throwing of two dice with a screen print out the number of times, a particular number randomly came up . My question is can this run using Access VB ? Any constructive advise would be most welcome . The old code is as follows: REM THROWING 2 DICE CLS INPUT "How many Throws", N Dim A(12) FOR M = 1 TO 12 A(M) = 0 Next M FOR T = 1 TO N X = int(6 * rnd (1)) + 1 Y = int(6 * rnd (1)) + 1 Z = X + Y A (Z) = A(Z)+1 NEXT T CLS PRINT TAB(5); "Total" ; TAB(25); " Frequency" PRINT...

Professional Services Tools #2
We currently run GP 8.0 and purchased a few of the tools available in Professional Services Tools Library. We're planning to upgrade to 10 in April, and our VAR just informed us that we will need to re-purchase these tools to use for version 10! Has anyone else run across this? I don't understand how this could possibly be the case in any way. Any input is appreciated. -- Dave Stonesifer Dave, The last few times we had a customer need to upgrade their Tools Library, they were able to buy an upgrade to the current version. I am not sure what the upgrade cost is currently,...

What version of Outlook for Windows 98
I am currently running Windows 98 with OE v 6 Does anyone know what is the latest version of Outlook I can install to work with 98. Thanks Outlook Express 6SP1 + additional hotfixes or Microsoft Office Outlook 2002 2 complelty separate programs by the way Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum http://communities.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.asp?icp=InternetExplorer Good Luck! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slips...

Dynamics Great Plains v10 trial version
I just recently downloaded (from the MS website) the 90-day trial version of GP v10 to my personal computer. The install appeared to go well however, while the login is "SA" I do not know the password. I have tried "password" and tried leaving it blank. Anyone know the answer? When I called MS Business Solutions, they told me that it will ask me to set up a password during the install, it did not. Thank you Did you try 'sa' as the password? -- Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager HDA, Inc. Hazelwood, MO GP 9.0, SP2 "Pam" wrote: > I just...

reporting tools linking with excel
Hi... Supposing i want a report to be generated from excel....something like using crystal reports.... is it feasible to link a reporting tool with excel.... I hope i am clear. thanks Monika ...

tool to find GDI resource leak
Hallo, i search a tool or DLL or source to find GDI resource leaks. I've Boundschecker, but it don't find GDI resource leaks. Jimmy > i search a tool or DLL or source to find GDI resource leaks. > I've Boundschecker, but it don't find GDI resource leaks. Hmm, as far as I can remember BC did find GDI leaks without problems several years ago, when I was using it. You may also check this: http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/03/01/GDILeaks/default.aspx -- Igor Green, Grig Software. www.grigsoft.com Compare It! + Synchronize It! : files and folders comparison neve...

Integration Manger version 8 (fixpack 4) performance
I recently upgraded a version 7 Great Plains installation to version 8, including the Integration Manager. One of the sales order transaction integrations used to take about 45 minutes for 800 transactions under version 7 using the SQL Optimized adaptor. Now it takes five hours! I tried using both the version 7 and version 8 SQL Optimized adaptors, which are provided with Integration Manager version 8. Both were equally slow. Is there something different about the version 8 Integration Manager that should make it run so much slower? Is anyone aware of any tips and/or tricks to glean so...

ANN: nxslt.exe (.NET XSLT Command Line Utility) version 1.5
Hello! I'm glad to announce version 1.5 of the nxslt.exe - .NET XSLT command line utility. What is nxslt ------------- nxslt is a feature-rich command line utility that allows to perform XSL Transformations (XSLT) using .NET Framework's XSLT implementation - System.Xml.Xsl.XslTransform class. nxslt is compatible with command line options, provided by Microsoft's MSXSL.EXE Command Line Transformation Utility. In addition, nxslt has some distinct advanced features, like support for XInclude and XPointer, embedded stylesheets, custom URI resolving, multiple result documents, custom ...

Preventing duplicates within two columns
Hi I have been asked by a work colleague to design a spreadsheet for the issue of production logbooks. We use excel 2002 at work and the site policy is not to use VB within excel. The logbooks are issued by number and the initial version is set to version 1. For example a logbook will be issued as LB1234 Version 1. on completion of Version 1, LB1234 Version 2 is issued. So, in my spreadsheet Column A Header is Logbook Number and Column B is Version Number, there are another 15 or so columns of information with these columns. My colleague wants to be able to enter the next available Ver...

Multiple Data files--two with same name!
I have been having trouble balancing my checking account, and discovered that I have three data files: My Money, My Money0 and My Money0. Yes, two of them appear to have the exact same name. One of the My Money0 files appears to cover the time from my last archive (Jan 2003), while the other two files cover only a portion of that time (Jan 04-Aug 04) and (Jan 03-May 04). How can this happen? Any suggestions on how to fix it? At this point my only idea is to manually cross check all the entries and create a single data file then delete the other two. Any better ideas? In micro...

Excel version in Office Home & Student full featured??
I am thinking about buying H&S with Excel, but need to know if it has: All the functions in the full Excel version? Visual Basic for Excel, so I can write complex macros? I have some macros already written, and intend to buy a commercial app which plugs into Excel. Bob Yes, there is no difference -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "bobber" <bobber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EFFF9021-4A14-4213-A076-B977ADA75E2A@microsoft.com... >I am thinking about buying H&S with Excel, but need to know if it has: > > All the f...

After having downloaded the trial version of Office 2008 mac
Version: 2008 HELP! - I just downloaded the office 2008 trial package, but after having sucessfully installed it, it askes me to register - but i't won't let me register - it just keeps loading, nothing happens! PLease please help me, i'm getting really frustrated! Registering is totally unnecessary � just cancel the Registration. All it does is get you on the email list :-) Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 6/21/09 8:00 AM, in article 59b76f07.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Tamsin@officeformac.com" <Tamsin@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2...

Chart with One Column Column and Two Stacked Columns
Hi There, I need to create a chart that shows a target to be achieved, and two stacked columns showing results by department and also by how the results are split (salaries and ODOE). Can anyone help? I can do the target and one or the other way of the results being shown, but I can't combine. Thanks, Andrea I figured it out :) "andrrea" wrote: > Hi There, > > I need to create a chart that shows a target to be achieved, and two stacked > columns showing results by department and also by how the results are split > (salaries and ODOE). > > Can a...

Calendar (many) now stretched over two days
I will correct this with a backup I did earlier today. I have _many_ Calendar entries that now span two days where earlier today they just spanned one day. I don't know if this is related but I've had probelms with the Vista Clock updating itself to an hour earlier. It would seem that the news of Daylight Saving here in Europe hasn't been updated in Vista. I went to http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cp_dst Daylight Saving Time Help and Support Center to ,leanr more about this and was told there are no updates for me. In order to 'fool' Windows, I changed my Time Zo...