pick a number from 1 to 10

hey all,

i want to create an asp.net web page that allows internet users to pick a
number from 1 to 10. how do i manage users picking the same number? (if 2
users somewhere happen to be selecting the same number and the same time). Is
this a concurrency issue?

thanks,
rodchar

hi Rodchar,

On 19.12.2009 19:01, rodchar wrote:
> i want to create an asp.net web page that allows internet users to pick a
> number from 1 to 10.
You may use ten links or buttons. But what should happens after they
"picked" a number?

> how do i manage users picking the same number? (if 2
> users somewhere happen to be selecting the same number and the same time). Is
> this a concurrency issue?
Why do you want to do that?

mfG
--> stefan <--
0
Stefan
12/19/2009 6:49:11 PM
> You may use ten links or buttons. But what should happens after they
> "picked" a number?
I just want to make sure the first 10 users that select a number and that
each user has a unique number

> Why do you want to do that?
I want to make it a game.

rodchar wrote:
>> You may use ten links or buttons. But what should happens after they
>> "picked" a number?
>
> I just want to make sure the first 10 users that select a number and that
> each user has a unique number

Then yes, you will have to have _some_ mechanism to ensure that each
user cannot pick the same number some other user does.

But since you are trying to implement this in an ASP.NET project, you
need to post your question in the ASP.NET newsgroup.  Your concurrency
issues are specific to ASP.NET and thus you will only get the best
answer to your question posting it there.

Pete
0
Peter
12/19/2009 7:41:44 PM
thanks all for the help,
rod.

"Peter Duniho" wrote:

> rodchar wrote:
> >> You may use ten links or buttons. But what should happens after they
> >> "picked" a number?
> >
> > I just want to make sure the first 10 users that select a number and that
> > each user has a unique number
>
> Then yes, you will have to have _some_ mechanism to ensure that each
> user cannot pick the same number some other user does.
>
> But since you are trying to implement this in an ASP.NET project, you
> need to post your question in the ASP.NET newsgroup.  Your concurrency
> issues are specific to ASP.NET and thus you will only get the best
> answer to your question posting it there.
>
> Pete
> .

hi,

On 19.12.2009 20:33, rodchar wrote:
>> You may use ten links or buttons. But what should happens after they
>> "picked" a number?
> I just want to make sure the first 10 users that select a number and that
> each user has a unique number
Use the singelton pattern to create this kind of manager and ensure that
your application runs only in one AppDomain on the IIS.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cxk374d9%28VS.71%29.aspx

mfG
--> stefan <--
0
Stefan
12/20/2009 1:11:17 PM
On Dec 19, 1:01=A0pm, rodchar <rodc...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> hey all,
>
> i want to create an asp.net web page that allows internet users to pick a
> number from 1 to 10. how do i manage users picking the same number? (if 2
> users somewhere happen to be selecting the same number and the same time)=
.. Is
> this a concurrency issue?
>
> thanks,
> rodchar

FIFO.  That's not a concurrency problem.  First number picked gets
withdrawn from the pool.

You stupid or what?

Thanks for posting here.  Back to skool for u.

RL
0
RayLopez99
12/20/2009 2:04:46 PM
On 20-12-2009 09:04, RayLopez99 wrote:
> You stupid or what?
>
> Thanks for posting here.  Back to skool for u.

Someone needs to go back to school!

:-)

Arne

0
ISO
12/20/2009 10:00:31 PM
On 19-12-2009 13:01, rodchar wrote:
> i want to create an asp.net web page that allows internet users to pick a
> number from 1 to 10. how do i manage users picking the same number? (if 2
> users somewhere happen to be selecting the same number and the same time). Is
> this a concurrency issue?

If it would be a problem having two users pick the same number, then
you will have a concurrency problem.

The two standard mechanisms for this is:
1) a user that comes in locks all the numbers and other users
    must wait until the first user has made a pick and then
    that number is not available any more
2) you allow users to pick numbers in parallel, but users that
    pick a number already picked will get an error telling them
    that someone else just took that number and they have to
    pick another

You can do it either in memory using standard synchronization
(lock keyword in C#) or using a database with good transaction
support. The last option supports clustering.

Arne

0
UTF
12/20/2009 10:07:21 PM
On 20-12-2009 08:11, Stefan Hoffmann wrote:
> On 19.12.2009 20:33, rodchar wrote:
>>> You may use ten links or buttons. But what should happens after they
>>> "picked" a number?
>> I just want to make sure the first 10 users that select a number and that
>> each user has a unique number
> Use the singelton pattern to create this kind of manager and ensure that
> your application runs only in one AppDomain on the IIS.

And cross fingers that the load will never be so big that clustering
is needed.

Arne
0
UTF
12/20/2009 10:08:35 PM
On 19-12-2009 14:41, Peter Duniho wrote:
> rodchar wrote:
>>> You may use ten links or buttons. But what should happens after they
>>> "picked" a number?
>>
>> I just want to make sure the first 10 users that select a number and
>> that each user has a unique number
>
> Then yes, you will have to have _some_ mechanism to ensure that each
> user cannot pick the same number some other user does.
>
> But since you are trying to implement this in an ASP.NET project, you
> need to post your question in the ASP.NET newsgroup. Your concurrency
> issues are specific to ASP.NET and thus you will only get the best
> answer to your question posting it there.

The concurrency issues are not ASP.NET specific.

They are the same whether it is browser--(HTML/HTTP)--web app,
fat client--(SOAP/HTTP)-- web service,
fat client--(binary/socket)--server or something else.

Arne
0
UTF
12/20/2009 10:12:37 PM
"RayLopez99" <raylopez88@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Back to skool for u.

Your need for basic education is by far the greater...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

0
Mark
12/20/2009 10:37:26 PM
Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> The concurrency issues are not ASP.NET specific.

Sure they are.  The mere fact that it's an ASP.NET application
guarantees that.

In a C# program, the solution is trivial.  But in ASP.NET, there's no
guarantee AFAIK that every client being serviced is being handled by the
same process.

If nothing else, the fact there's no way for someone unfamiliar with
ASP.NET to know for sure that every client is being serviced by the same
process makes the question ASP.NET-specific, even if the answer turns
out to be the same.

Pete
0
Peter
12/21/2009 8:00:00 PM
Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> And cross fingers that the load will never be so big that clustering
> is needed.

Would clustering result in multiple processes being handled by multiple
processes?  If so, I _really_ am boggled by your assertion that the
concurrency issues are not ASP.NET-specific.
0
Peter
12/21/2009 8:00:45 PM
hi Arne,

On 20.12.2009 23:08, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>>> I just want to make sure the first 10 users that select a number and
>>> that
>>> each user has a unique number
>> Use the singelton pattern to create this kind of manager and ensure that
>> your application runs only in one AppDomain on the IIS.
> And cross fingers that the load will never be so big that clustering
> is needed.
Indeed, but then, picking one number from only ten makes no sense at all ;)

mfG
--> stefan <--
0
Stefan
12/21/2009 8:12:19 PM
Peter Duniho wrote:
> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> And cross fingers that the load will never be so big that clustering
>> is needed.
>
> Would clustering result in multiple processes being handled by multiple
> processes?  If so, I _really_ am boggled by your assertion that the
> concurrency issues are not ASP.NET-specific.

"multiple processes being handled by multiple process" should, of
course, read "multiple clients being handled by multiple processes"
0
Peter
12/21/2009 8:32:43 PM
In article <eY#wugngKHA.5528@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
 Peter Duniho <no.peted.spam@no.nwlink.spam.com> wrote:

> Arne Vajh��j wrote:
> > The concurrency issues are not ASP.NET specific.
>
> Sure they are.  The mere fact that it's an ASP.NET application
> guarantees that.
>
> In a C# program, the solution is trivial.  But in ASP.NET, there's no
> guarantee AFAIK that every client being serviced is being handled by the
> same process.

Really?  How do you prevent two users from logging on to a server and
running the same application and picking the same number at the same
time?

Or if the application is deployed to a share, how do you prevent two
users from two different machines running the same application and...

--
J.B. Moreno
J.B. Moreno wrote:
> In article <eY#wugngKHA.5528@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl>,
>  Peter Duniho <no.peted.spam@no.nwlink.spam.com> wrote:
>
>> Arne Vajh��j wrote:
>>> The concurrency issues are not ASP.NET specific.
>> Sure they are.  The mere fact that it's an ASP.NET application
>> guarantees that.
>>
>> In a C# program, the solution is trivial.  But in ASP.NET, there's no
>> guarantee AFAIK that every client being serviced is being handled by the
>> same process.
>
> Really?  How do you prevent two users from logging on to a server and
> running the same application and picking the same number at the same
> time?

I don't understand your question.  The "how do you..." question is
exactly my point.  AFAIK, nothing in ASP.NET _does_ guarantee that.
Surely there are specific ways using ASP.NET to provide for that
guarantee (such as using a database as Arne suggested, or having a
special-purpose server process shared among all clients), but those ways
will necessarily be specific to ASP.NET.

Frankly, your question simply reinforces my point: if one knows in
advance one is dealing with a single process, the question is simple to
answer.  But with ASP.NET in the picture, it gets a bit different, and
in a way that is specific to ASP.NET.

> Or if the application is deployed to a share, how do you prevent two
> users from two different machines running the same application and...

What's that got to do with ASP.NET, or the original question for that
matter?
0
Peter
12/22/2009 1:59:47 AM
Peter Duniho <no.peted.spam@no.nwlink.spam.com> wrote:

> J.B. Moreno wrote:
> >  Peter Duniho <no.peted.spam@no.nwlink.spam.com> wrote:

> >> Sure they are.  The mere fact that it's an ASP.NET application
> >> guarantees that.
> >>
> >> In a C# program, the solution is trivial.  But in ASP.NET, there's no
> >> guarantee AFAIK that every client being serviced is being handled by the
> >> same process.
> >
> > Really?  How do you prevent two users from logging on to a server and
> > running the same application and picking the same number at the same
> > time?
>
> I don't understand your question.  The "how do you..." question is
> exactly my point.  AFAIK, nothing in ASP.NET _does_ guarantee that.

And nothing would guarantee it if it was a WinForm application deployed
to a Windows 2008 server.

Which is the point, the issue isn't windows versus ASP, but
multi-process versus single.  The problem isn't ASP specific, and the
solution is unlikely to be ASP specific.

> Surely there are specific ways using ASP.NET to provide for that
> guarantee (such as using a database as Arne suggested, or having a
> special-purpose server process shared among all clients), but those ways
> will necessarily be specific to ASP.NET.

Using a database isn't ASP.NET specific.  Neither is having a separate
process to act as a middle man.

> Frankly, your question simply reinforces my point: if one knows in
> advance one is dealing with a single process, the question is simple to
> answer.  But with ASP.NET in the picture, it gets a bit different, and
> in a way that is specific to ASP.NET.

C# and no ASP.NET does not exclude multiple processes.

> > Or if the application is deployed to a share, how do you prevent two
> > users from two different machines running the same application and...
>
> What's that got to do with ASP.NET, or the original question for that
> matter?

It shows that the problem is multiple processes running at the same
time, not whether it's a ASP.NET process or console application.

The solution is to create a choke point of some kind, and again that
isn't necessarily ASP specific.

While this isn't a syntax problem, neither the problem nor the solution
require ASP.NET.

--
J.B. Moreno
J.B. Moreno wrote:
> And nothing would guarantee it if it was a WinForm application deployed
> to a Windows 2008 server. [...]

That depends on the deployment.  But if the deployment is specifically
some sort of server context where something outside the C# program is
somehow creating the potential for multiple processes, then the answer
to that question is STILL outside the scope of this newsgroup.

Because the OP is using ASP.NET, I suggested the ASP.NET newsgroup.
That is a newsgroup where server issues are very much on-topic while
still being specifically connected to the actual API the OP is using,
and the OP will find much greater expertise than here.

You may want to argue that the OP would be even better served by a forum
that is even more specifically about deploying server-side
implementations than the ASP.NET newsgroup.  That seems like a fine
point, and it might be true.  But there's no justification at all for
suggesting that the topic has anything to do with C# specifically, and
even suggesting it's a normal .NET topic is a stretch.

Pete
0
Peter
12/22/2009 10:04:07 AM
On Dec 22, 2:02=A0am, "J.B. Moreno" <pl...@newsreaders.com> wrote:

> While this isn't a syntax problem, neither the problem nor the solution
> require ASP.NET.

OK you got me--that's true.  You cannot guarantee, unless you use
GUIDs, that two users will not pick the same two numbers.  But one
simple solution is indeed to use GUIDs.  Assign each number to a GUID,
first come, last served.  This is simply an UPDATE problem in SQL.
You can have "LAST IN WINS" (the default) in the case two users are
online at the same time and pick the same number.

But, if you don't want the default (LAST IN WINS) be aware it's a lot
of work.  I got tangled up in it myself and could not make it work.
So I switched to LAST IN WINS for the odd case where two users are
online at the same time and pick the same number.  As a practical
matter that's rare anyway, unless you have 1000s of users online at
the same time.  But I digress.

RL

0
RayLopez99
12/22/2009 9:06:14 PM
Peter Duniho <no.peted.spam@no.nwlink.spam.com> wrote:

> J.B. Moreno wrote:
> > And nothing would guarantee it if it was a WinForm application deployed
> > to a Windows 2008 server. [...]
>
> That depends on the deployment.  But if the deployment is specifically
> some sort of server context where something outside the C# program is
> somehow creating the potential for multiple processes, then the answer
> to that question is STILL outside the scope of this newsgroup.

He wants to solve a problem, he wants to solve that problem using C#.
Unless the scope of the newsgroup is limited to just questions about
syntax, it's well within the scope of the group.

The OP asked "how do i manage users picking the same number?"  -- he is
asking guidance for methodology, no different than asking what design
pattern to use.

He should be told that there are two possibilities: either an error
message when submitting a choice that has already been picked, or
blocking other users from making a choice while giving a particular
user a chance/timeframe to make a decision from the available options.

I am *certain* that you could write a class/interface for doing either
possibility that in no way relied upon the internal workings of
ASP.NET.

--
J.B. Moreno
On Dec 23, 3:01=A0am, "J.B. Moreno" <pl...@newsreaders.com> wrote:

> I am *certain* that you could write a class/interface for doing either
> possibility that in no way relied upon the internal workings of
> ASP.NET.

Yes, you are correct and Peter Dumbo is wrong, as often the case.
Peter is very brittle and often breaks.  But he is useful, and I
appreciate his posts, so don't get me wrong.

A singleton indeed is a kludgy but practical design pattern for this
problem.

RL

0
RayLopez99
12/23/2009 3:12:08 PM
J.B. Moreno wrote:
> [...]
> I am *certain* that you could write a class/interface for doing either
> possibility that in no way relied upon the internal workings of
> ASP.NET.

I amused that so far, no one has bothered to do so.

Please, show us the code that can be used in an ASP.NET project to
address the specific question, and which works regardless of whether
it's in an ASP.NET project at all, never mind how that ASP.NET project
is deployed.

Pete
0
Peter
12/23/2009 7:29:40 PM
You also have to define what is "at the same time". Would it be like a book
you borrow, it is 'picked'  as long as the borrower does not give it back?
or would it mean something like "in the same interval of time of some clock
tic" (ie. it is ok for two users to take number 2 as long as they do it not
at the same clock tic).  I assume it is possible to have a common
centralized 'registry' (database, like, easier to share between many than
memory (buffer) assigned to a 'standard' process), else I fail to see who
can access the relevant history. The solution also depends on what you want
to do? simply DETECT the contention? if so, the first case can be solve if
you keep the history of in-s and out-s for each item (or the whole history),
and in the second case, the same, but force a check-in (terminate all
pending 'choices' that have not checked-out yet) at the start of each of
your clock tic (which I assume is still large enough to allow your code to
execute many operations).

But overall, the problem is quite fuzzy.

Vanderghast, Access MVP

"rodchar" <rodchar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> hey all,
>
> i want to create an asp.net web page that allows internet users to pick a
> number from 1 to 10. how do i manage users picking the same number? (if 2
> users somewhere happen to be selecting the same number and the same time).
> Is
> this a concurrency issue?
>
> thanks,
> rodchar

0
vanderghast
12/29/2009 7:14:57 PM
On 21-12-2009 15:00, Peter Duniho wrote:
> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> The concurrency issues are not ASP.NET specific.
>
> Sure they are. The mere fact that it's an ASP.NET application guarantees
> that.

No.

The same concurrency issues exist in non-ASP.NET contexts.

That makes it non-ASP.NET specific.

> In a C# program, the solution is trivial.

No.

It is only trivial in a C# desktop app.

It is non trivial in all server contexts no matter whether
it is a ASP.NET web app or a WCF web service or Windows
service acting as socket server or a console app
acting as socket server.

>                                            But in ASP.NET, there's no
> guarantee AFAIK that every client being serviced is being handled by the
> same process.

True.

But there are no guarantee in any other context except the most trivial.

And C# is more than desktop apps.

> If nothing else, the fact there's no way for someone unfamiliar with
> ASP.NET to know for sure that every client is being serviced by the same
> process makes the question ASP.NET-specific, even if the answer turns
> out to be the same.

Any programmer above beginner level would consider this a problem
best handled in the BLL completely unrelated to the choice of PL.

Making ASP.NET as PL completely irrelevant.

Arne

0
UTF
1/4/2010 1:46:45 AM
On 21-12-2009 15:00, Peter Duniho wrote:
> Arne Vajhøj wrote:
>> And cross fingers that the load will never be so big that clustering
>> is needed.
>
> Would clustering result in multiple processes being handled by multiple
> processes?

Yes. That would mean different processes on different systems.

>               If so, I _really_ am boggled by your assertion that the
> concurrency issues are not ASP.NET-specific.

I believe that you are boggled.

But clustering is not an ASP.NET specific concept.

Arne
0
UTF
1/4/2010 1:49:47 AM
On 21-12-2009 15:12, Stefan Hoffmann wrote:
>>> Use the singelton pattern to create this kind of manager and ensure that
>>> your application runs only in one AppDomain on the IIS.
>> And cross fingers that the load will never be so big that clustering
>> is needed.
> Indeed, but then, picking one number from only ten makes no sense at all ;)

Not if it is the only thing it does and it is always just 10.

Arne

0
UTF
1/4/2010 1:51:37 AM
On 22-12-2009 05:04, Peter Duniho wrote:
> J.B. Moreno wrote:
>> And nothing would guarantee it if it was a WinForm application deployed
>> to a Windows 2008 server. [...]
>
> That depends on the deployment. But if the deployment is specifically
> some sort of server context where something outside the C# program is
> somehow creating the potential for multiple processes, then the answer
> to that question is STILL outside the scope of this newsgroup.

No.

Server side programming is on topic here.

> Because the OP is using ASP.NET, I suggested the ASP.NET newsgroup. That
> is a newsgroup where server issues are very much on-topic while still
> being specifically connected to the actual API the OP is using, and the
> OP will find much greater expertise than here.

He will most likely be told that it is off topic there, because it
has nothing to do with ASP.NET.

> You may want to argue that the OP would be even better served by a forum
> that is even more specifically about deploying server-side
> implementations than the ASP.NET newsgroup. That seems like a fine
> point, and it might be true. But there's no justification at all for
> suggesting that the topic has anything to do with C# specifically, and
> even suggesting it's a normal .NET topic is a stretch.

Given that he wants to actually wants to implement this code in C#
I would consider it on topic.

Otherwise it would be a very low traffic group.

Arne
0
ISO
1/4/2010 1:56:28 AM
On 23-12-2009 14:29, Peter Duniho wrote:
> J.B. Moreno wrote:
>> [...]
>> I am *certain* that you could write a class/interface for doing either
>> possibility that in no way relied upon the internal workings of
>> ASP.NET.
>
> I amused that so far, no one has bothered to do so.
>
> Please, show us the code that can be used in an ASP.NET project to
> address the specific question, and which works regardless of whether
> it's in an ASP.NET project at all, never mind how that ASP.NET project
> is deployed.

Two methods has been proposed:
* single node using ordinary memory synchronization
* multinode using database

Are you saying that you can not implement those without
referencing anything ASP.NET ??????????

Arne
0
ISO
1/4/2010 1:59:50 AM
Arne Vajh�j wrote:
> Two methods has been proposed:
> * single node using ordinary memory synchronization

Works only in-proc and does not deal with a multi-proc scenario (which
is possible for an ASP.NET project).

> * multinode using database

That's true�I forgot it had been mentioned.  But it's not the kind of
thing someone NOT doing this in the context of ASP.NET would choose.

Anyway, I know your habits�you can't let this go, and you will swear up
and down until the cows come home that the OP doesn't have an ASP.NET
question.  Fine by me.  I won't agree, but I'll stop trying to convince
you otherwise (as if there had ever been any chance of doing so in the
first place).

Pete
0
Peter

GP 10.0 Fresh Installation
I am trying to install GP 10.0 Trial Version on my laptop. Once when I tried half-way through the installation I had to abort installation. Subsequently after uninstalling all the installed component I restarted installation. Pre-requisite component installation window appears and installs Dextrity components. Next when I try installation using Autorun.inf file I get error "Installation Failed". If I try invoking Setup.exe directly nothing happens. Can someone help me? Hi pvravindran If this is a French Canadian Installation, I would recommend you contact Strophe (www.strop...

Help with SQL Query 06-30-10
We have a distinct list of email addresses in alpha order and we need to transform it from a single column into a grid of three columns maintaining the alpha order. The list is contained in a temp table inside of our query. We then use the temp table list and perform case statement with a mod on the row_number in a select statement to columnze the data. However, the columnar data contains a null value in two of the three columns and we are needing to remove the nulls and have the actual values on each row in the output. Here is our current sql: CREATE TABLE #tmpTable ( Email_Add...

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Cr=E9er_un_formulaire_ou_une_feuille_sous_excel_2007_?= =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=28type_formulaire_mode_cr=E9ation_sous_access=29?=
Bonjour, Cela fait lontemps que je n'ai pas retoucher au option avancer d'excel et au vb. De plus ma soci=E9t=E9 =E9tant pass=E9 sous 2007 j'ai perdu tous = mes rep=E8res. Enfin apr=E8s un tour sur le forum et excel labo j'ai retrouv=E9 mes outil formulaire de la versions 2003 avec l'onglet develloppeur mais je n'arrive pas =E0 me souvenir comment on cr=E9er la frame sous excel qui permet d'ajouter dessus des bouton, checkbox... ( c'est comme l'outil formulaire sous access) j'esp=E8re que j'ai =E9t=E9 clair et vous remercie par avance de votre aide=...

Creating a chart with text not numbers
How do I create a chart that has text values (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior) instead of numbers (1, 2, 3, 4)? I have a column labeled "What is your class standing?" and below it is 166 rows where people selected "Freshman," "Sophomore," etc. I want to create a bar chart that counts how many people selected each of the four classes. Thanks, Alan First of all, you will have numbers to plot. The words are your category labels. Read how to turn a column of words like this into a histogram: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/Histograms.html - Jon...

Formatting number in Data Table
I am using Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet that the figures can be negative or positve. I have formatted the cells with this custom format $#,##0;[Red]$-#,##0. On the spreadsheet the format works fine. I created a chart from the data. I have a data table at the bottom of the chart. The problem is that the format from the spreadsheet is not reflected in the data table. When I click on Format Data Table, there is no option for number formatting. There is a number formatting option available when i click Format Axis, but this doesn't change it, because the actual axis is Text. Is th...

Historical Stock Status As of Date
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00A5_01C8845C.ADFC9B50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello, I'd like to know whether anyone has encountered an issue wherein the As = of Date that is printed in the Historical Stock Status Detailed by Item = does not follow the date as indicated in the report options screen. = Currently we are trying to print the said report but no matter what date = we put in, the As of Date that prints on the report is set to 30 Jan = 2008. Is there anything that we...

sync outlook and entourage tasks 02-12-10
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange Is it possible to record a task in outlook and have it show up in entourage, and vice versa...? On 2/12/10 2:29 PM, in article 59bb2be3.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "cccryer@officeformac.com" <cccryer@officeformac.com> wrote: > Exchange Is it possible to record a task in outlook and have it show up in > entourage, and vice versa...? Entourage for EWS: Notes and Tasks don't sync? <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2010/01/entourage_for_ews_notes_and_ta...

Find the number of years between two dates
I have aroster of players with thier date of births. I would like to automatically add their ages in another column Try this Formula, assuming that the dob is in cell A1 =DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"y") & " years, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"ym") & " months, " & DATEDIF(A1,NOW(),"md") & " days" regards Mukesh "duke" wrote: > I have aroster of players with thier date of births. I would like to > automatically add their ages in another column On Fri, 9 Sep 2005 19:47:02 -0700, "duke" <duke@disc...

Running Office 2004 with network homes on 10.4
Hi. Im really at the end of my tether with office now, for well over a year it seems as though no matter what I do office just behaves like a spoilt brat. Were talking 10-20 minute load times just to load an office app. It will sit there and first it say configuring microsoft office components. then through a host of other things until eventually as i said about 20 minutes later it will actually open. I've seen things about fonts before, but i can tell its not just (if at all) this. I have a reasonably fast network, so i cant see how it is network issues. All clients have networ...

Barra de Publicidade que =?ISO-8859-1?Q?d=E1?= dinheiritos !!! #4
Se queres ganhar uns Euritos s� tens de instalar esta barra de publicidade, que podes at� minimizar ou fechar em caso de utilizar programas de ecr� completo. N�o incomoda nada, nem consome recursos. Apenas d� dinheiro, �ptima para quando deixas o comptdor a sacar a noite toda... Recebes o dinheiro na tua conta PayPal. http://www.eurobarre.com/index_fr.php?p=373093897695 100% seguro by CrashOverride If you want to earn money just by sitting in front of your PC, just install this Bar that shows some publicity now and then. 100% safe, no malicious ware. http://www.eurobarre.com...

IF Statement 02-17-10
The statement below is working good. I need to add a statement to the end that all other numbers will be 200%. Can someone help, please. =(IF(G6=20,"110%",(IF(G6=25,"110%",(IF(G6=50,"110%") Thank you Tina Try this nut note a couple of things, There are no a lot less parenthesis, yo had too many Ive removed the quites from the percent answers. Format your formula cell as percent with as many or as few decimal places as you want If the formula works for you then that's fine but it 'could' produce unwanted results. For example ...

Formula question 03-03-10
I am trying to complete the following. In s141 i have a drop list with 'yes' and 'no' as possiblities. In x141 i have a drop list with 3 possible choices, .02 , .04 , or .08 g141 is the originating cell p159 is the answer cell. if s141 remains empty or has 'no' chosen from the drop list i need p159 to remain blank, however if 'yes' is in s141 then i need the answer from g141 multiplied by .02 or .04 or .08 (which ever one is chosen from the drop list in x141) to be displayed in p159. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance. Scoob...

CRM Certification 10-25-06
I'm wanting to get certified for "Installing and Configuring CRM 3.0" (exam MB2-421), but I can't seem to find ANY info on the Microsoft site, nor can I find training materials. Am I missing something? Any ideas where I can get more info on this exam? -- Brandon ================== Presentations Direct - http://www.presentationsdirect.com > Binding Machines http://www.presentationsdirect.com/binding-machines/gbc-binding-machines.asp > Laminators http://www.presentationsdirect.com/laminators/gbc-laminators.asp > Paper Shredders http://www.p...

Lebans tooltip control 10-28-07
I am trying to use the tooltip control on a form with a tab control, on which are the other controls I want to show information for. On controls that are outside the tab control, it works fine; on controls inside the tab control, the tooltip shows on text boxes only when they have the focus, and on check boxes not at all. I've tried every naming scheme for controls I can think of, without any luck. Anybody have any ideas about this??? Is it the same problem as using a subform???? I am using ACCESS 2003 -- Jack Walsh ...

MS POS 1.0 Install error...
Im using XP PRO SP2 ..net 1.1 installed MS SQLServer installed When i try and install MS Point of Sale 1.0 , i get this error message at the end of the install, when it says "Installing and configuring database" ------Error Message------ System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo) at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start() at Microsoft.Rms.Installation.CustomActions.Utilities.OpenSqlPortInFirewall(String installPath, String portNumber, String& errorMessage...

page numbers in Word 2007
Hello, I have a Microsoft Word 2007 document which has a title and table of contents on the first page and the various chapters on the following pages. I have used an automatic TOC and then clicked on the Insert tab and then Page Number -> Bottom of Page to insert page numbers. My problem is that I don't want the first page to be numbered so that the second page starts with the number 1. I have tried clicking Page Number -> Format Page Numbers... to set the first page number at zero but then when I delete the zero all page numbers are deleted by Word 2007 just as th...

test103 10-02-07
test This is the body of the article ...

test 04-22-10
;lgplfoblgh^p-bvof Your test worked, but your spell check didn't. Test Newsgroup: news://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.test.here -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "claire labrecque" <clabreque@videotron.ca> wrote in message news:ur%23FbEd4KHA.5324@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > ;lgplfoblgh^p-bvof ...

Changed Server Numbers when Travel
I just had my outlook 2003AOL server numbers changed for no reason while travelling. Switched them back for my pop account and the would work, when shut down and then restart they would change from the correct to another set of numbers. Is there a way to stop these server numbers from changing while I travel. Thanks. What is a 'server number'? The IP address? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips by email: dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outl...

pivot table 05-01-10
I have data on two worksheet and i want to analize data by consolidate them togeter.How can i use pivot table? -- meihua meihua;950632 Wrote: > I have data on two worksheet and i want to analize data by consolidate > them > togeter.How can i use pivot table? > > -- > meihua Option 1. Yes, you can use mutliple sheets connected to single pivot. choose, Multiple consolidation ranges option in Pivot table and Pivot Chart Wizard - step 1 of 3. Option 2. It is better to get the all data into single sheet and use pivot. thanks bala --...

Excel 2003 02-04-10
I have version 2003 of excel and love hot keys... Often at work I have to format rows and columns to others nearby.. I have tried to figure out the hotkey for the format painter and cannot it would help out tremendously... So does anyone know the hotkey to copy the formatting of other cells and paste the format to others? Well, you could try Ctrl+c (copy) Alt+est (Paste special - format) If you recorded a macro, this is exactly the same as what the format painter does. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "mma...

Converting string to number
hi, I have a set of data that is to be cut and pasted from an external source. A typical cell reads '32813.58 sq mm', without the speech marks. The cell could be formatted before the pasting; but how do I strip off the units to leave the number only? The number could be any size. thanks =LEFT(A1, LEN(A1)-5) Will return your data as required as long as the text to be stripped is constant -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful. "kenppy" wrote: > hi, > > I have a set of data that is to be...

Editing phone numbers?
(Win XP, Outlook 2003) - I'm all of a sudden starting to have a problem when I add or change a phone number in a contact. I'm connected via LAN, not dialup, and no settings have changed. Yet when I put in a phone number I get the Location Information dialog box (this box: http://www.babcockancestry.com/storage/outlookproblemlocationinfo.jpg). I can NOT get out of it in any way except using the task manager to End Task, which of course does not save the contact. If I try to cancel in the dialog, it just keeps coming back. Any changes except phone numbers work fine. It's only when I...

Print Item Number Ole object on Sales Order Processing reports
Would like the ability to print an Item Number Ole object on my SOP reports. For example, go to Transactions, Sales, Sales Transaction Entry. In the Sales Transaction Entry window, enter an Order for an Item. Click the Item Number Note button. Once you are in the Note window, click the paperclip button to add an Ole Object. In the OLE Container window, click Edit, and then click Insert New Object. In the next widow click Create from File. This is where you will attach an existing object (such as an image or text file). Close the window and save your changes. Click Attach to atta...

Formatting Phone Numbers in a Merged Cells...
If I want to merge a "Company Name", "Phone Number" and a "Fax" number into 1 cell (for use in a drop down box), is there a way to maintain the 10 digit format for the phone/fax numbers? The phone/fax #'s appear as a string of 10 digits when they are merged, and are hard to read. Currently using a formula like this: =A3&" Phone: "&B3&" Fax: "&C3 I am tired of trying to get it to work, and can't seem to find the answer here. Thank you in advance! One way: =A3 & TEXT(B3,""" Phone:...