Madoff programmers were a modest bunch...and what language did they use?

Look at the modest amounts these guys were asking for.  They had
Madoff by the short hairs, could have asked for upwards of $10M each
and afforded to retire to a docile Third World country, but instead
wanted a pittance of $60k extra.  At that price, you are getting all
of the downside of getting caught with none of the upside.

Poor programmers, literally, clueless as usual.

I wonder what language they used...do they still develop in COBOL?

RL

"The computer codes and random algorithms they allegedly designed
served to deceive investors and regulators and concealed Madoff's
crimes," said federal prosecutor Preet Bharara. "They have been
charged for their roles in Madoff's epic fraud, and the investigation
remains ongoing."

Madoff told DiPascali to pay the programmers "whatever they wanted in
order to keep them happy," the investigators said, and the programmers
received pay increases of about 25 percent and net bonuses of about
$60,000.
0
RayLopez99

RayLopez99 wrote:

> I wonder what language they used...do they still develop in COBOL?

http://www.netcobol.com/products/Fujitsu-NetCOBOL-for-.NET/overview

What? Do you think COBOL went away? There are lots of situations where
COBOL is still being used.

So why convert COBOL to another language when one doesn't have to, just
to use new technology?
0
Mr
11/13/2009 7:57:43 PM
    Even worse - there are situations where you do NOT want to convert COBOL
to anything else. The main system a bank uses is call a system of record.
That system must be certified by the Treasury Department. Not certification,
the bank is out of business. And, the time and money needed to get certified
is so large even IBM and Oracle have not done so (though IBM did decades
ago). So COBOL is likely to go on nearly forever.

"Mr. Arnold" <Arnold@Arnold.com> wrote in message
> RayLopez99 wrote:
>

>> I wonder what language they used...do they still develop in COBOL?
>>

> http://www.netcobol.com/products/Fujitsu-NetCOBOL-for-.NET/overview
>
> What? Do you think COBOL went away? There are lots of situations where
> COBOL is still being used.
>
> So why convert COBOL to another language when one doesn't have to, just to
> use new technology?

0
Bob
11/13/2009 8:18:09 PM
"Bob Milton" <DocBob1945@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message

> And, the time and money needed to get certified is so large even IBM and
> Oracle have not done so (though IBM did decades ago).

....so did IBM get certified or didn't it?

0
Jeff
11/13/2009 10:37:51 PM
On Nov 13, 3:18=A0pm, "Bob Milton" <DocBob1...@newsgroup.nospam> wrote:
> =A0 =A0 Even worse - there are situations where you do NOT want to conver=
t COBOL
> to anything else. The main system a bank uses is call a system of record.
> That system must be certified by the Treasury Department. Not certificati=
on,
> the bank is out of business. And, the time and money needed to get certif=
ied
> is so large even IBM and Oracle have not done so (though IBM did decades
> ago). So COBOL is likely to go on nearly forever.

Sounds like recipe for disaster--not unlike the certification of junk
mortgages by the rating agencies (required by law) as AAA prime, which
caused them to be bought, and helped precipitate the Great Recession.
When will the government get out of regulating things?  Y2K anybody?

Also these programmers probably designed their random number generator
wrong (I suspect) since no doubt they did not obey Benford's Law.  Go
here for an explanation: http://plus.maths.org/issue9/features/benford/

I've heard the forensic accounting department of the IRS even has an
algorithm to detect when a series of numbers, seemingly 'random' (and
in fact random!) do not obey Benford's law, which is a sign of
fraud.

RL

So, here's a challenge. Go and look up some numbers. A whole variety
of naturally-occuring numbers will do. Try the lengths of some of the
world's rivers, or the cost of gas bills in Moldova; try the
population sizes in Peruvian provinces, or even the figures in Bill
Clinton's tax return. Then, when you have a sample of numbers, look at
their first digits (ignoring any leading zeroes). Count how many
numbers begin with 1, how many begin with 2, how many begin with 3,
and so on - what do you find?

You might expect that there would be roughly the same number of
numbers beginning with each different digit: that the proportion of
numbers beginning with any given digit would be roughly 1/9. However,
in very many cases, you'd be wrong!

Surprisingly, for many kinds of data, the distribution of first digits
is highly skewed, with 1 being the most common digit and 9 the least
common. In fact, a precise mathematical relationship seems to hold:
the expected proportion of numbers beginning with the leading digit n
is
0
RayLopez99
11/14/2009 3:14:26 PM
RayLopez99 wrote:
> I wonder what language they used...do they still develop in COBOL?

COBOL is still widely used.

It could have been COBOL. Or it could have been C, Java, C#, PL/I
or something else.

Arne
0
ISO
11/14/2009 9:42:59 PM
On Nov 14, 4:42=A0pm, Arne Vajh=F8j <a...@vajhoej.dk> wrote:
> RayLopez99 wrote:
> > I wonder what language they used...do they still develop in COBOL?
>
> COBOL is still widely used.
>
> It could have been COBOL. Or it could have been C, Java, C#, PL/I
> or something else.
>
> Arne

Hi Arne,

I used one of your methods you helped me once the other day, to .Find
something in a array.  Nice work.

What do you think of F#, and will you learn it when it comes out in
VS2010?  Seems at first glance like a cross between anonymous
delegates, LINQ, which I finally figured out.  Should I bother
learning F#?

RL
0
RayLopez99
11/15/2009 4:08:58 PM
RayLopez99 wrote:
> What do you think of F#, and will you learn it when it comes out in
> VS2010?  Seems at first glance like a cross between anonymous
> delegates, LINQ, which I finally figured out.  Should I bother
> learning F#?

F# has been available as downloadable kit for a long time. The
new is just the integration in Visual Studio.

I have so far just done "hello world" level programs in F#.

I would consider knowing a bit of F# to be a "nice to have"
for a C# programmer.

But there is no indication that F# will take over the world
short term (next 3 years).

But there seems to be an expectation that the use of
functional languages and functional paradigms in
object oriented languages will grow a lot medium
(next 10 years). And even though it may not be F#, then
knowing F# could still be very useful.

I don't know if it will happen. AOP was very hot 5 years
ago and it never went mainstream. Functional languages may
never take off either. But I would say that the chances are
good enough to warrant studying one.

Arne

0
ISO

Charting using Stacked Column Graph
Excel 2002... I think I posted this in the wrong place before. I'm trying to chart a series that is comprised of 5 - 3 number groups. I can chart the first group, but when I try to add the next series, it stacks them onto the existing columns rather than make 3 new ones. The data looks like this (simplified): A1 A2 A3 B1 B2 B3 1-10 .01 .03 .58 .023 .025 .023 11-15 .012 .025 .025 .024 .588 .280 16-20 .012 .255 .158 .024 .254 .241 I get a nice chart with A1-A3...but can't add B1-B3 next to it. Help me, please. Thanks, Gre...

How to use Boundchecker to check memory leaks in dlls
hi all, am very new to use the tool bounce checker.I m having a dll,which needs to be checked for memory leak. how can I do it... am having very little time to do this check.So, please give me the steps to do it. any help ... Regards hari On May 9, 12:14 pm, hari <haricib...@gmail.com> wrote: > hi all, > am very new to use the tool bounce checker.I m having a dll,which > needs to be checked for memory leak. how can I do it... > > am having very little time to do this check.So, please give me the > steps to do it. > > any help ... > > Regards > hari ...

creating setup of vc++ aplication using a installshield
how to create a setup of the vc++ application using a install shield my application have two Dll files which are imported in the main application and a .exe which is required to be included so please give em some idea if u have 1. Try Installshield from http://www.installshield.com/ ( You may have to buy the product ) 2. Use any open source installation wizards, there are atleast 5-10 projects available in the net ( You may have to cutomize them to suite your needs ) "kapil mehta" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15590BAD-E80A-4D6C-A8F4-EE98DBEEC...

Task assignment should be able to be used through Outlook
o When a task is assigned there is no ability to accept or decline the task. This functionality is available within Outlook but not in CRM. o At the moment If the outlook functionality is used then CRM and outlook become out of sync and CRM is not able to track the task and its progress. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based...

How do I use numbered bullets in Excel?
Is that possible to use numbered bullets inside cells in Excel? If so, how? Thanks. If you just have one bullet point in a cell you could make a custom format of bullet point character followed by # (copy the bullet symbol from the Character Map available under Windows Accessories) and apply this to your cells to make them look like bullets. If you want a proper bulleted list it would probably be better to use Insert->Object and bring in a Microsoft Word Document object where you could create a bulleted list more easily. Andrea Jones http://www.allaboutoffice.co.uk http://www.strat...

Why can't I use ::GetAncestor()
Hi, In my MFC App, I got a compile error with the following sentence: ::GetAncestor(hwnd,GA_ROOTOWNER); The Error message is : error C2039: ��GetAncestor�� : not member of ��operator``global namespace''�� But when I use ::GetParent(hwnd), there is no error. There's no GetAncestor() in my version of the SDK (VC6 Maybe you're looking at documentation for some newer API, but have older one installed... >In my MFC App, I got a compile error with the following sentence: > >::GetAncestor(hwnd,GA_ROOTOWNER); > >The Error message is : error C2039: ��GetAncestor...

Chrystal reports and using custom fields as a filter
I’ve read a comment on the problem that occurs when using custom fields as a filter for Chrystal Reports in MS CRM. This is the related post on the MS CRM newsgroup. ------------------------- or open the report and click Database - verify database to make the report aware of the new fields -- John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://www.microsoft.com/BusinessSolutions/Community/CRMFaqLanding.aspx "Stephen Redmond" <stephen_at_crm.ie@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message news:%23W1EI%23sqEHA.896@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... >Keng, > >You need to refresh the report...

Conditional Formatting using Small
I have 9 columns and 52 rows that that have pricing for 9 brands for each week of the year. There may be some weeks where a brand as $0.00 as a price. I am trying to do a conditional formatting to highlight the cell that has the lowest price for that week excluding any that have $0.00 listed. I got a formula off the internet and adjusted to my spreadsheet. The formula listed below is in my conditional formatting rule =C8=SMALL(C8:T8,1+COUNTIF(C8:T8,"0")) It is not highighliting the $0.00 cells, but some weeks it does not highlight anything. The odd part is that...

Missing sections in CRM 3.0 using XP
I have upgraded my computer to XP PRO Sp2 and now I'm missing some sections, namely Setting on the left side of the screen. The Setting menu is in the GOTO menu but it doesn't work. I get a blank screen. Also the Articles function is missing in the NEW Menu. I can go to another computer running WIN2KPro and it works fine. I'm pretty sure it's just a setting in the Internet Options of IE but I have compared and don't notice a difference. Yes, I have turned off the local firewall. Ernest ------=_NextPart_0001_7245F7CE Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encod...

how do i use the SMOOTHED DERIVATIVE_31.XLS program?
how do i use this program? Where does this file come from? It is not from Microsoft. -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "jen" <jen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:84D11662-E821-4ADA-B1F1-91044D179D83@microsoft.com... > how do i use this program? ...

MFC message language problems
Hi! I have come across a really annoying problem. I am a norwegian programmer, but I make international software. This means that the text in my applications are English. However, some messages, like the message box asking if a modified document should be saved, is in Norwegian! Anyone experienced this, and have a solution? The application in question is a MFC single-document based. Oops, sorry, I was being stupid... :-) "Morten Aune Lyrstad" <morten@creventive.com> skrev i melding news:bBfPb.30980$BD3.6795283@juliett.dax.net... > Hi! I have come across a really annoying...

Good example of the use of Vlookup
This sheet has a lot of vlookups and uses a lot of named ranges. It has current stats filled in up through week 16 of the current NFL season. _http://www.mediafire.com/?yhmznygkcmw ...

Using a command button to add
I would like to click on a command button - it would then add 1 to a predetermined cell Which bit do you want, the add bit With Range("H10") .Value = .Value + 1 End With or add the button. Drag it off the Forms toolbar and assign a macro with the above code -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Chance" <Chance@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3CB9A2FE-2426-431D-8671-4E467F7F8D32@microsoft.com... > I would like to click on a command button - it would then add 1 to a > predetermined cell H...

faq about using .ini file
Hi, I see someone's free code. He use ini file without create it. Then I goto the msdn the msdn url is : ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.MSDNQTR.2003APR.1033/vclib/html/_mfc_cwinapp.3a3a. m_pszprofilename.htm example: //First free the string allocated by MFC at CWinApp startup. //The string is allocated before InitInstance is called. free((void*)m_pszProfileName); //Change the name of the .INI file. //The CWinApp destructor will free the memory. m_pszProfileName=_tcsdup(_T("d:\\somedir\\myini.ini")); Do we can read and write the ini file without using CFile to create it as normal ...

How do I use the "More Details" in a newsletter? #2
In Publisher 2003, you can create emails directly. The templates have a place for a short intro to an article with a place to click to get the rest of the article. How do I use that feature? The "More Details" is no doubt an area where you add a hyperlink to a place where folks can get more details. Send e-mail http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH062524821033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8198CBA9-E37C-48F3...

How can you identify folders, using folder numbers?
Hi everybody, I've searched and searched and asked in the quasi-defunct yahoo exchange newsgroup, but I've never found an answer as to how I can actually utilize the folder identification information contained in Exchange error log events. An example is as such: Event: 1173 Source: MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store Description: Error 0x6bb deleting unused restricted view from folder 1-1A42FF on database "First Storage Group\SG1 Mailbox1". It would be insanely useful if I could tell which folder 1-1A42FF is, so I can narrow down where the problem is occurring, you know?? Anyone...

Backup using Windows Server 2003 4 Exchange 5.5
What I would like to know is that can you use the Backup Exchange 5.5 using windows Server 2003. In Windows there is a backup program. If yes is there any information available about this? Any information about the recovery of possible problems. Thanks D ...

how do i set up my own invoice and save to use whenever
i want to set up an invoice in excel ie: company name etc customer name +address invoice no quantity description rate total total vat grand total gatesand railings wrote: > i want to set up an invoice in excel ie: > company name > etc &g...

What for you use Journal in outlook 2003?
What for you use Journal in outlook 2003? thanks, Vedran ...

Can I use a spreadsheet to populate an offline calender in excel?
Is there any way that I can use a spreadsheet to populate a calender offline? I'm trying to incorporate 4 spreadsheets with appointments on into one easy to use diary for myself and 3 colleagues. I have no Idea if i can do it automatically, but it would save so much work and hassle if i could. All suggestions greatfuly recieved. ...

Use query from another database
Hi In the code below is there a way that qryOrderHistory could be in a separate database. If so how would i refer to it in the code. Thanks Dim db As DAO.Database Dim qd As DAO.Querydef Dim rs As DAO.Recordset Set db = CurrentDb Set qd = db.QueryDefs("qryOrderHistory") qd.Parameters("prmCustNo") = lngCustNo Set rs = qd.OpenRecordset() If Not rs.Eof Then .... code to populate an excel spreadsheet Change your 'Set db = CurrentDb' line to something like the following .. Set db = DbEngine.OpenDatabase("full path and name of target MDB here") -- ...

Using Aliases
Hello. I'm using SQL2008. I'd like to use aliases for the table and fields used in the PIVOT example below. The table and fields used are: 1). tbldoc (table used) 2). datesent (used to load the column header) 3). docext (used as my row) 4). id (used as value) So, I'd like to be able to set aliases/variables to refer to these objects in the PIVOT function below (ie, @myTable (set to tbldoc); @myHeader (set to datesent); @myRow (set to docext), etc.). This way, I can set these values up front and I don't have to do a "find/replace" every ...

Odd behavior using CONCATENATE
Hello, I have one spreadsheet where I am trying to use CONCATENATE to combine some text and a number. The cell T6 contains "AT COST X " The cell S7 contains a number 1.18 The cell S8 contains =CONCATENATE(T6,S7) I get a #VALUE error on this, and I can't figure out why. Any ideas? On Mar 10, 6:18=A0pm, Andrew <andrewkgent...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hello, > I have one spreadsheet where I am trying to use CONCATENATE to combine > some text and a number. > The cell T6 contains "AT COST X " > The cell S7 contains a number 1.18 > The ce...

Spell checking issue in Final view using Word 2004
I ask this question on behalf of a friend. She writes: I just tried to do a spell check using the final view. Although my actual Word copy shows the final version, both the deleted text and the new text show up in the spell-check window. I'm using Word for Mac 2004 (version 11.3). A screen shot is available, if it will assist in arriving at a solution. Thanks, Leigh Hello Leigh, Thanks for posting this. I am not sure what you mean by "final view" as far as I know there is no view named such. If you could explain this more and send that screenshot my way, that would be super...

how can I use arguments to sort and use data from selected dates
I need to produce graphs that relate to data over a given month, is there anyway I can set up my spread sheet to recognise that the inputted date has changed month and hence to put the new data into another table? It's not clear what you are really asking. If you are entering data into a cell, then that's where it will stay. I can't see how it can then be part of a new table. Am I missing something? Matt -- Mallycat ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Mallycat's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&user...