Install Folders for Windows Service

I have created a service and cannot figure out where the program is figuring
out what to use for a company name or product name.

I have a solution called UPS and a windows services called UPS.Service.  My
deployment project is called UPS.Deployment.

When I build the msi and setup for the program it wants to put the folders
in:

c:\Program Files\Default Company\UPS.Deployment

I want the intall program to put the default folder as:

C:\Program Files\My Company\UPS

I can't figure out how to make that work.

In the primary output of the UPS.Deployment for the properties of the
Application folder, I get:

[ProgramFilesFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]

Where is it getting the ProductName or Manufacturer from?

If I go to the UPS.Service properties and on the Publish tab and Publish
options set Product Name as UPS.  It doesn't use that.  I still get
UPS.Deployment.

Anyone know how this works?

Thanks,

Tom

0
tshad

This is the most unintuitive program around.

I found an article (finally) that explained how to get to a properties
window (not the right-click properties - which gives you a completely
different window).  You have to select the deployment project then hit F4
(or go to View\Properties Window).  There are the properties for this.

I have been right clicking on all my projects and the solution to find the
properties as well as selecting the Solutions and selecting
Project\Properties.  None of these have this.

What is the difference between all the right-click properties and the F4
property window?????

It took me forever to find this.

Tom
"tshad" <toms@pdsa.com> wrote in message
>I have created a service and cannot figure out where the program is
>figuring out what to use for a company name or product name.
>
> I have a solution called UPS and a windows services called UPS.Service.
> My deployment project is called UPS.Deployment.
>
> When I build the msi and setup for the program it wants to put the folders
> in:
>
> c:\Program Files\Default Company\UPS.Deployment
>
> I want the intall program to put the default folder as:
>
> C:\Program Files\My Company\UPS
>
> I can't figure out how to make that work.
>
> In the primary output of the UPS.Deployment for the properties of the
> Application folder, I get:
>
> [ProgramFilesFolder][Manufacturer]\[ProductName]
>
> Where is it getting the ProductName or Manufacturer from?
>
> If I go to the UPS.Service properties and on the Publish tab and Publish
> options set Product Name as UPS.  It doesn't use that.  I still get
> UPS.Deployment.
>
> Anyone know how this works?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom

0
tshad
12/3/2009 9:00:14 PM

> This is the most unintuitive program around.

"This" being Visual Studio?

> I found an article (finally) that explained how to get to a properties
> window (not the right-click properties - which gives you a completely
> different window).  You have to select the deployment project then hit F4
> (or go to View\Properties Window).  There are the properties for this.
>
> I have been right clicking on all my projects and the solution to find the
> properties as well as selecting the Solutions and selecting
> Project\Properties.  None of these have this.
>
> What is the difference between all the right-click properties and the F4
> property window?????

Well, it sounds like you've been dealing with Solution Explorer. In my
experience, when you select an item in Solution Explorer, the Properties
window displays properties as they relate to FILES. For example, when
selecting a project (like a class library or Windows Forms project), I see
only two properties: Project File and Project Folder. When selecting a file
that belongs to the project, like a .CS file, I see a few more properties,
mostly relating to how the file will be compiled into the output (if at
all), whether to physically move the file, what custom tool run run against
the file, etc. See the pattern?

The Properties window won't display what we tend to think of as "regular"
properties until you've selected something in a code or designer window,
because it's only then that Visual Studio has the proper context. And since
projects don't have designer or code windows, they have a special window
that shows up only when you right-click the object in Solution Explorer and
choose Properties.

It sounds like you don't have the Properties window showing at all times, or
you'd be more used to the kind of things it displays. I have to say, I find
this almost unthinkable. There are very few tool windows that I consider
indispensible, but this is one of them.

0
Jeff

Windows Event Logger
Hello , Within a try- catch block I need to catch the exceptions and write them to a log file using the Windows Event Logger . Till exception handling, things are fine with me, but I am not aware of Windows Event Logger . Any input in this regard shall be appreciated . Thanks , Sujay ...

Emptying 'Deleted Items' folder on exit
I am running WLM version 2009 (Build 14.0.8089.0726) on Windows 7 with all the latest updates. I have 'Empty messages from the Deleted Items folder on exit' checked under Maintenance, but they're all still there when I exit and restart WLM. Is there another setting I should be looking at to make this work? TIA, -- SC Tom Tom, I experienced the same thing earlier today. I'm new to WLM and found that if you "checked" the ''Empty messages from the Deleted Items folder on > exit' after there were items in the Deleted Items folder, it ...

MyDocuments folder
hi, i am tring to create folder in MyDocuments, with this function HANDLE hFile = CreateFile(path,GENERIC_WRITE|GENERIC_READ, FILE_SHARE_READ|FILE_SHARE_WRITE, NULL, CREATE_ALWAYS, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL); where path = _T("%USERPROFILE%\\Documenti") + _T("\\FileName.xxx"); i used ("%USERPROFILE%\\Documenti to get the path of mydocuments but i didnt find the file , i used GetLastError(); where the function tell me the path is incorect any idea to get the path of mydocuments folder thanks for help You could use: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...

How to check the style of window is not WS_EX_APPWINDOW ?
Hello There How can I check whether the extended style of window is not WM_EX_APPWINDOW.( Means it won't have entry in taskbar when it visible. I can check whether the it has WS_EX_APPWINDOW style like this if (::GetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE) & WS_EX_APPWINDOW) TRACE("App Window\n"); But how can I do the reverse thing ? Example: 0010101 Real 0110101 Mask The Bitwise AND gives a 1 if the real and the mask are 1, such as 00101100 00100100 AND ---------- 00100100 In this situation, we know that at least some of the mask is true, -- now -- Take the binary number...

Can not install Office Ultimate 2007 because of a setup error mess
Hello group, I have a desktop with no Office Suite which I built with Windows XP Pro SP2 (Version 2002), from a WGA Kit. I ordered the back-up discs (2 pcs) Office Ultimate 2007 from digital river.com store and tried installing in this machine but I get this message: "Setup error: The language of this installation package is not supported by your system." I tried it on the 2nd DVD drive of the same machine but same result. I tried installing the Office software in a Sony Vaio laptop and it seems it will install properly and I discontinued the setup. Any information/ass...

IE8 was deleted from my windows 7 and I cannot find correct downlo
I have a two month old Toshiba and deleted IE8 because of crashes. Trying to find the correct download to reinstall. The IE8 homepage just says it is included in windows 7 but does not show the download file....... ARRRG. Tried Vista IE8 download file but message says it not the correct operating system. On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 20:50:01 -0700, pawntonian <pawntonian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a two month old Toshiba and deleted IE8 because of crashes. Trying to >find the correct download to reinstall. The IE8 homepage just says it is >included in wind...

Trying to install Microsoft CRM with OutLook on Windows 2000
When trying install MS CRM 1.2 disk 2 (Sales for Outlook), I am prevented from completing the install as I get the message "installation failed" "you must install SQL Desktop Server Engine separately". When trying to install it separately the setup seems to start running then stops after extracting files and doesn't complete. There are no error messages and nothing in the Event Viewer ? If anyone has any ideas I would be grateful for your help. Hi Installation take bit time,you have to wait.it updates with sp-3 etc.. Regards, Bhaskar.T "dhawgood" ...

Maximized Window
When a mail is opened, it is opened in the maximized size. When the "make smaller" is pressed, the window remains maximized. When a reply is desired, the reply window is also maximized and cannot be made smaller. This only happens with one identity; all other work fine. All setting are same for all identities. What can I do? ...

How to remove the /dde from Windows Explorer File Open on Install
I have an MDI app that I would like to open a file on a double click in Windows Explorer. Unfortunately the Explorer File Type (Tools>Folder Options... File Types tab) is set so that the command invokes dde. Ie. The "open" option under the "Advanced" button is C:\Path...\App.exe /dde and the DDE message is [open("%1")]. This never seems to work as my app never sees the dde message and the initialization of m_pCmdInfo via: m_pCmdInfo = (CCommandLineInfo*)(UINT_PTR)m_nCmdShow; sets the pointer to one and the app fails on exit. This is referred as a kn...

Public Folder Replication not running
We have two exchange 2000 servers in the same exchange organization, same active directory domain. We have one set of public folders that have been configured to replicate to both servers. We would create public folders on one server and then they replicate to the other server immediately (replication interval set to "always"). But last week the replication suddenly stopped for new folders, although existing ones still appear to replicate their contents. When we create a new folder on one server, and set it in system manger to replicate to the other server, replicas never appear ...

Windows Millennium Edition
Anybody know what's the highest version of Publisher that works on Windows Me. I am planning to upgrade, honest. Liam After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Liam <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > Anybody know what's the highest version of Publisher that > works on Windows Me. Publisher 2002. Publisher 2003 works on Windows 2000 SP3, Windows XP, and higher. -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm ...

Comments window
Hi there, I use a DB tool called RS3 for Excel (now known as Accord for Excel - owned by Accelrys inc.). This tool allows you to observe results with cell notes, these commonly being the the average of the result values. the cell notes is a popup window showing the individual result values the average is calculated from. It only shows a maximum of 5 of these values. Additional values can be shown by choosing Tools>Options>View tab, and choosing Comments & indicator. This shows the comments as stable windows, which you can then resize. Now if you go back to the same pla...

How to find addresses stored in Favorites folder
My toobar shows a button for adding to favorites but I can not find my favorites list anywhere after I add them? http://www.outlook-tips.net/archives/2004/20041116.htm -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ "Zuli" <Zuli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1B7543A-7BE9-40C6-A4BA-5770FD90AB79@microsoft.com... > My toobar shows a button...

unable to display inbox folder due to "invalid handle"???
Ran a scandisk that identified a couple of cluster problems, and allowed the computer to fix the problems identified . Since then, whenever trying to access email in OUTLOOK, we get the following message: "Unable to display the foler. The file c:\windows\localsettings\application data\microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst could not be accessed. The handle is invalid." What is going on? ...

windows xp system error with kernel32.dll (crash)
System Error AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.6000.16608 ModName: kernel32.dll ModVer: 5.1.2600.3119 Offset: 00012a5b The group you posted to is for Microsoft Access (the desktop database.) You might do better to post to an Internet Explorer group, or a Windows group. (Sorry to do that to you when this kernel issue is probably driving you nuts.) -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org. "jackzhao" <zhao.boyou@hotmail.com> wrote in messag...

File folder info. in Excel workbook?
Good day all. Excel 2007. XP Pro. Is there a way to have all available excel files in a particular folder listed (updated in real time) in an excel spreadsheet where the user can click on one or more of them to open those files or at least retrieve specific data from them? I have a situation where files representing cost centres and each month of the year need to present data into a worksheet used for reporting purposes. So potentially 5 x 12 = 60 files. But these are only created as the months pass. so at the end of month1 there would only be the 5 files, month 2 there would be...

Public folder default display
Hi, I have an Exchange server 5.5 and I make some forms used by the clients to publish information in public folders. My problem is : How create a default display (server side) for a public folder used by Outlook clients. In my case I want a chronology display. Thank you Michel ...

On startup text to speech installation keeps appearing
Dear All When I load up Excel the dialog box comes up before excel continues to load saying: "Text to Speech - This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install it now?" I dont want to install it but this KEEPS coming up, any ideas? Thanks Adam Someone answer please !!!!! >-----Original Message----- >Dear All > >When I load up Excel the dialog box comes up before excel >continues to load saying: > >"Text to Speech - This feature is not currently >installed. Would you like to install it now?" > >I dont want to inst...

Script to audit windows 2003 servers
I am looking for a powershell script which we allow me to audit my physical servers which are in a specific network. Is this possible to do. The information I need for the server is as following: Model number - amount of RAM - amount and speed of CPU's - local storage - amount of nics - amount of HBA - installed OS And the subnet the servers are in is 172.16.40.0/21. Is there a way I can run one script to get all this information. It will of course require remote access to these servers. Also the servers are all windows 2003 SP2. An...

inbox contents moved to contacts folder
I recently had a user of Microsoft Outlook 2003 report a strange problem to me. She stated when she opened her inbox all the emails were gone and upon investigation she found them all in her contacts folder. Is this possible/ how can it happen and how do we get them back? Thanks, Pat she probably accidently dragged them to the contacts folder. if they aren't converted to contacts, drag them back. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/ou...

Installing 2007 over 2000 suite
We are a church with very, very old software. I recently bought Publisher 2007 (standalone--and worrying that was a mistake) but am having trouble. It installed alright, but it will not open/start. We run XP and Office 2000 Sm Business and Publisher 2000 installed now. IE v. 7. I was urged to buy the Pub 2007 as the upgrade isn't supported by Vista which we will probably be going to in the near future. I know the old 2000 version is on here still, but it came as part of a suite. Is there a way to make 2007 work? Or is there a way to uninstall Pub 2000 ala carte? Are you receivi...

Colored folders in MS outlook.
How do I colorize my folders in outlook http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/coloremail.htm "ACM" <ACM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B144F61-FD0F-4AD9-BE89-23801D356A49@microsoft.com... > How do I colorize my folders in outlook The folder icons? You can't. You can use automatic formatting to highlight messages in color. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists....

Too Many Personal Folders #4
I have just acquired a new computer ... replacing an older one. Both systems use XP Pro SP2 and I use Outlook as my mail client on both machines. I copied the outlook.pst file from the old to the new machine ... had a little trouble, fiddled around some and ended up with three(!) "Personal Folders" listed in the folder list (left side of Outlook window). When I expand each of these they show the folder list from the pst file I moved from the old machine. My question is how do I get rid of two of the Personal Folders listed? There is only one copy of the pst file in the My ...