Databound form understanding problem (how to set foreign keys automatically to new foreign entries)?

Hi,

I have a typical windows form (not a grid) and like to populate a
foreign key automatically on a newly created entry.
I have solved this by filling the new foreign data when the id field
gets changed, has a valid key value and the foreign
field is empty.

But it takes very long time until I get the id of the newly created
TableX from dataContext.
Also the form gets refreshed and does not again display the lastly
created TableX entry.

        public void Fill()
        {
            this.tableyTableAdapter.Fill(this.MyDataSet.TableY);
            this.tableXTableAdapter.Fill(this.MyDataSet.TableX);
        }

        private void idTextBox_TextChanged(object sender, EventArgs e)
        {
            if (tableyComboBox.SelectedIndex < 0 &&
int.Parse(idTextBox.Text) < 0)
            {
                MyDataContext dataContext = new MyDataContext();
                TableY Y = new TableY();
                Y.Name = "New default entry";

                TableX X = dataContext.TableX.Where(a => a.id ==
int.Parse(idTextBox.Text)).First();
                X.TableY= Y;

                dataContext.TableY.InsertOnSubmit(Y);
                dataContext.SubmitChanges();

                Fill();

                this.tableAdapterManager.UpdateAll(this.MyDataSet);
            }
        }

What's wrong?

Thanks

Lothar
0
Lothar

Cannot save my form
Hi.Can you please help me with my problem.I create my database last week.At first,the database worked smoothly.But,when I when I reopen my database,my last forms was dissapeared.Can you help me to solve my problem?Any post will help.Thank you. When you open the database do you see the database window? If not press the F11 key. Next go to Forms on the objects bar. Do you see vertical or horizontal scroll bars? If so the new forms might just be a little off screen and using the scroll bars should find them. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bont...

Inserting form values into a table

function to check for entry
I'll try and make this as clear as I can... I am looking for a function that will check column b,c,d,e for an entr if there is an entry then check row n in the same row for it's value. that's the first bit, then I need to be able to check the date valu (month) in column a and total it for the month. perhaps I could run the first function only looking for month=1 o something and just run it 12 times? not sure how to go about this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com well I've got this far but it still doesn't work and gives an error: =IF(MONTH(A3:A167)=4,...

New Disk storage

SQL deadlock problem

docmd.transfertext problem

Exchange update problem

multiple Domain name delivery problem

Find prev record on other requeried form
Using access 2003. I have a main form for name and address info. A subform shows limited info on client placement. Click a command button on the main form and user opens another form for full screen entry of placement data. That form opens showing the client selected on the initial main form. When the full screen placement form closes, it requeries the original main form with the placement subform to show the added placement. It goes to the first record in the table though. It does not show the original client whose placement was just added. How do I set the mai...

Set request parameters for web services

Creating new attributes

transferring to new pc

outlook 98 corperate forms

Automatic incremental of records
I have a table with several records and arranged serially, i.e 1,2,3 .....25. When I delete arecod like record number 3 I would like record number 4 to become record number 3. But in my case Record number 4 still remains serial number 4 although it is actually the third record. Is there a way it can be done automatically? njogus wrote: > I have a table with several records and arranged serially, i.e 1,2,3 > .....25. When I delete arecod like record number 3 I would like > record number 4 to become record number 3. But in my case Record > number 4 still remains serial number ...

Setting MDI Parent Size To Fit Around A Child Form
Hi, How do you set the client size of an MDI parent to fit around a child form? Breakpoints in the constructor and load event handler show the child size to be already modified to fit into the parent; the child's size does not match what shows in the Designer. I suppose the real question might be how do you determine the size of the child window or keep the parent from changing it first? Thanks, Gary What you're asking for is a little backwards, but I'm sure you have your reasons. At any rate, these are the properties you will want to investigate: ...

Excel Problem