Using Data Stored on External Drives in 64 bit computer

I have a 32-bit computer using Windows XP Pro and I have two externaol hard
drives with a lot of important information. When I get a new computer, 64-bit
with Windows 7, will I be able to use the data currently stored on my
external hard drives with the new 64 bit computer using Windows 7?

Thank you.
dotnet.general 306 articles. 0 followers. Follow

Hi,

On 7 Apr., 18:38, moon <m...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I have a 32-bit computer using Windows XP Pro and I have two externaol hard
> drives with a lot of important information. When I get a new computer, 64-bit
> with Windows 7, will I be able to use the data currently stored on my
> external hard drives with the new 64 bit computer using Windows 7?

I'd say: 99% yes.

If your external hard drives use standard connectors like USB or
eSATA, and are formatted using FAT or NTFS, you can just plug them
into your Windows 7 PC, and access the files as before.

But you need to install the applications to open your data files on
Windows 7. While most Windows XP software runs on Windows 7 (or
updated versions which do are available), there are some corner cases.
Nearly all of them may be solved by either use different software
products which are capable of opening those files, or by virtualizing
your existing XP installation and running it from inside your Windows
7.

But explaining this further is far beyond the scope of your question,
and - additionally - your question is not on topic in this group
(which is for software developers which have issues when using the
DotNet (.NET) programming framework).

HTH,
Markus
0
MarkusSchaber

exporting/linking data from a row on one sheet into another sheet
I have a master sheet with all the sales information that my company tracks. I would like to create seperate sheets for each sales rep. I have all their initials listed under one column. Can I take each row and put the information onto another sheet based on what I put into the initials colum? exporting/linking data from a row on one sheet into another sheet Hi Clark see responses in Excel.worksheet.functions NG Frank Clark Haddock wrote: > I have a master sheet with all the sales information that > my company tracks. I would like to create seperate > sheets for each sa...

SQL 2005 Saving Stored Procedures and Saving / Implementation
I am not totally familiar with the proper terminology and I really appreciate help with the following problem: My two databases, originally from a third party, have over 250 stored procedures each. I have changed about 150 of them in one database. Due to the testing and implementation requirements of the application, I need to save these stored procedures from the one database, restore the two databases according to what I received from the third party, and then implement my stored procedure changes onto the two restored databases. Any suggestions as to easiest and most foolpro...

Removal of original mailbox store
I have been doing some reorganizing of my mailbox stores and would like to remove the original mailbox store that was created during the original installation because I have moved all of the mailboxes to other mailboxe stores. Is there a way to do this? If I can't remove it, is there a way to safely perform an offline defragmentation of the message store. Thanks for any help you can provide. -- Midwest Muskie On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 06:29:05 -0800, "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have been doing some reorganizing of my mailbox stores and would like...

With Microsoft FAX Nearly One Minute Delay between Using Print
With Windows Messaging and Microsoft Fax under Win 98 SE, when I printed a document to Microsoft Fax, the fax wizard would start a few seconds after I said print. I installed Outlook 2000. With it, there seems to be a consistent nearly one minute delay between when I say print and the fax wizard starts. If Outlook is running, there is no delay. The osa9.exe program doesn't make any difference. Needless to say, this is an annoyance, having to go through two steps, start Outlook and then print, rather than simply printing. Does anyone know of a way to make Outlook 2000 work like Messag...

Stored procedure wont insert Fields, RadioButtonLists and CheckBox
Hello Community I have a CheckBox and a RadioButtonList and fields on an aspx web page form. I pass the fields on the form to a method that creates the parameters and executes a stored procedure and the stored procedure is supposed to insert this information as a row into a table. For some reason the stored procedure executes but the row does not get inserted. I can’t see why the row doesn’t get inserted especially since I put BreakPoints in the code all along the way and I see the values just as they get passed into the stored procedure but maybe someone looking at this ...

Icon not set using MFC AppWizard
I create an application called "Test" with the MFC AppWizard. I uncheck "document/view architecture" in the wizard dialog. After the wizard generates my source files, I immediately compile. Although it created Test.ico in my resources, it does not show up in the upper left corner of my main application window. Does anyone know why? If I go through the above steps and select "document/view architecture", then it works as expected. What is the difference? Did you associate test.ico with the resource ID IDR_MAINFRAME? Did you draw both the 32x32 and 16x16 ve...

Excel 97-remove link but keep data
Hi guys, I have a pre-existing excel 97 s/s which has links to other s/s's. I would like to keep the data only (like paste-special, values) and remove the linked reference from showing in the current s/s. Any ideas how to do this instead of me changing each linked reference? Thanks in advance! search for .xls or [ or ] to see if you can find the formulas that contain links to other workbooks. Van wrote: > > Hi guys, > > I have a pre-existing excel 97 s/s which has links to other s/s's. I would > like to keep the data only (like paste-special, values) and rem...

How can I pre-filter a table that is used in a query in a live dat
How can I pre-filter a table that is used in a query in a live database? I have about 47 queries (SQL text in a memo field in a table) that all reference a few tables in the same database. I would like to limit the table’s data instead of re-writing all the queries to include further criteria. The queries are very complex and it is not desirable to re-write the queries and use parameters. This database is live on an ASP.NET web page and there may be multiple people viewing the reports which are using these queries. Since there are multiple users I can not simply copy the tables into ...

using "voice" in Win 7 w/ Win 2008 R2
I have a script that I run during logon and a different one at logoff. the drive mapping part of the script works just fine. But the voice part doesn't. Now, If I copy the script from the network and run it locally, it'll run the voice part. Any ideas? I've removed the drive mapping for security purposes. Dim WSHNetwork Set WSHNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network") 'Grab the user name UserString = WSHNetwork.UserName 'Speech add on (make your pc say hello to you) '-------------------------------------------- Dim HourNow, Gre...

Updating several XP-computers
Hi! I have 4 PCs in my LAN and they are running under Windows XP (2 time PRO, 1 time Media Center, 1 time Home). I have a slow Internet connection with just 5 GB volume per months, so when I have to update all my PCs, it takes a lot of time and consumes my download volume. I would like to download all windows patches and updates just one time, store them in a file-server or NAS-server and then apply them to all my 4 PCs. Is there anyway to do that? Thank you very much for your help. gianni wrote: > I have 4 PCs in my LAN and they are running under Windows XP (2 tim...

Using Excel 2000 as Data source for Word 2000 document
Problem using Mail Merge using Word 2000 & Excel 2000. After numerous problems - Word failed to connect to Data Souce file then it would & then it wouldn't and so on - reasons which are unknown! The 106 records in 19 fields from the Excel Data Source are only transferring the information for the first 104 records. I am looking to add further records but obviously need to overcome this problem. Hi Malcolm- Obvious, perhaps, but are you certain that the records are in consecutive rows & no vacant columns separating the fields of data? Does the data range contain any Merge...

Drive's display name
On my XP machine I have a DVD drive and a CD drive. Windows Explorer displays these as "DVD Drive (E:)" and "CD-RW Drive (F:)". When I try to use SHGetFileInfo and IShellFolder's GetDisplayNameOf(), both return "CD Drive (E:)" and "CD Drive (F:)". How can I get the display name that Windows Explorer uses? ...

FrontPage 2003 on windows 7 64 bit
Hi , FrontPage 2003 on Windows 7 , Following Issues 1. SAVE AS… error - not enough memory ( memory is there) 2. Unable to Insert IMAGE From File - FrontPage fades 3.Other sporadic issues - error messages while opening or publishing Tried the below steps : ( it works fine on Windows XP ) ( few of them are from forums) Removed temporary files, removed cmdui.prf, removed *.web Checked in Windows Safe mode removed FrontPage addins Installed latest updates for FrontPage ( Sp3) checked FrontPage server Extensions - they are fine Uninstalled and reinstalled...

Because the Exchange MTA is disabled, the store driver...
I suddenly have a huge problem on my exchange 2003 (running on SBS). Trying to fix the not running Exchange MTA (Bad ideer, is it was ok in the not running state DOH) service I uninstalled the SMTP service, and reinstalled it! The result of that was a smashed Exchange server. Now I can't get it to relay for any of my domains anymore, and everytime someone send an email, the Event log on my server will tell me that It cant deliver the Email because the Exchange MTA service is not running. Could you please help me get it back up and running, or at least give me some clues ...

VB.Net question on using the XML DOM (xmldocument)
I am about to go bonkers trying to figure this out -- So here goes Currently I am building an xml document and have no problem building the document with one namespace designation using the DOM. Here is a snip-it of what I have <vl:VNETList xmlns:vl="http://www.1234.com/VNET/List"> <Template> <ID>Template_FFF4887BC8B4E98F85256EE60061576A</ID> I can’t figure out how to add a secondary xmlns reference that will look like this. <vl:VNETList xmlns:vl="http://www.1234.com/VNET/List" xmlns="http://www.5678.com/VNET/eiwm"> <Templ...

Charting software: what does The Economist use?
Any clue of what software the people at The Economist uses to create charts? I=92m wondering whether there is some software out there better than MS Excel that would give better control without the onerous workarounds. You can do pretty well with Excel, and the "onerous" workarounds aren't too bad once you've become familiar with them. They are generally a bit more onerous in 2007. http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/05/30/magazine-quality-chart-economist/ - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions Peltier Technical Services, Inc. - ...

How to group all data from 1 column into several columns (Redo)
I have 2 columns in my spreadsheet, Company Names and Event. The Event column values are Event 1, Event 2, Event 3, Event 4 and the company names repeat for each of the events that they attended. So sometimes I might have a company listed 4 times with each Event corresponding to it in the next column. How can I consolidate all of the company names so that there is 1 row for each company and all events are on the same row but in different columns marked with an x (the column labels will be Company name, Event 1, Event 2, Event 3, Event 4). This is what I have... Company Name...

Signature option disappears when using word as e-mail editor
Hello, I've got a weird problem. When I try to use word as my e-mail editor, I lose the ability to add signature. As soon as I check the box to use word as my e-mail editor, the signatures buttons are greyed out. Any advice? Thanks! Jeff Jeff Brooks-Manas wrote: > Hello, > > I've got a weird problem. When I try to use word as my e-mail editor, > I lose the ability to add signature. As soon as I check the box to > use word as my e-mail editor, the signatures buttons are greyed out. > > Any advice? > > Thanks! > > Jeff The signature option within ...

Many to Many Data Entry
Hi all, This is a doozy of a problem, using a form to join many to many fields, so thanks if you're up for checking it out! I have two tables that are linked with a many to many relationship using a third table. TblZones (with fields ZoneNo(primary key, autonumber), ZoneMo, Zone Description, CustNo, SiteNo, etc) TblDevices (with fields DeviceNo (primary key, autonumber), DeviceType, Location, CustNo, SiteNo, etc) TblDeviceZoning (With fields ID (primary key, autonumber), DeviceNo, and ZoneNo) A device may only be assigned to a zone that shares the same customer number...

Data sheet populating into multiple sheets
I'm looking to build a spreadsheet with one main page that can be populated with data and automatically pull that data over to other more specific sheets. For example, If I have sales on the main sheet and have check boxes for more specific sales on the same sheet (i.e. liquor sales, food sales etc..) I want that number to poulate on the specific sales sheet. I'm assumming I have to wite an IF/Then Statement to say if an "x" is put into a cell then copy and past the data in the specified cells within that row and pull that information over to sheet Y. One respon...

Information Store cannot be opened.
Hi I have a problem with a NT Server. This server is on a VPN DLS setup connected to our office. They have Outlook 2000 installed but when they try to access the mailbox it gives them a message saying: Unable to expand the folder. The set of folders could not be opened. The Information store could not be opened. They are able to ping the exchange server by name and also do a Check Name in the mail Properties. Has anyone seen this before. ...

Multi-User Excel File on a Network Drive
How can I make an Excel file accessible to multiple users concurrently? With all able to make and save changes to the same file. Thanks, Mike "Mike" wrote > How can I make an Excel file accessible to multiple > users concurrently? With all able to make and save > changes to the same file. Tools / Share Workbook Jordon ...

Overlay 4 years of data as a line on 4 years of columns for several x category labels
Dear Charting aficianados, The tutorial at http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ClusterColAndLine.html is the closest example I can find to a charting conundrum I am facing, though what I am hoping to achieve is still a little different. I've made a mock up of what I'm hoping to achieve - though I have had to use drawing objects for the line series, to overlay on the columns - I'm sure there is a way to get excel to do this - do you think there is? (sheet named mock-up) A workbook with mocuk-up and my other charting attmempts can be found: http://www.savefile.com/files/2690840 T...

Removing the first "Mailbox Store"
Is there a Q article regarding removal of the first Mailbox Store? I rememebered that this was possible and took a little tinkering to transfer the SA mailbox to another mailbox store. I would like to remove the first mailbox store from the server and leave the three new ones up. If you can help or offer suggestions, that would be great! Thanks, Bob Found the answer... it contains some config information that needs to be moved. Thus, I renamed it. Bob "Bob Christian" <BobChristian@removethis.gmail.com> wrote in message news:OMlBZCzjEHA.4068@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... >...

Automatically open different workbooks depending on user account used.
There are two userrs on the same computer. When user 1 opens Excel, I'd like oen workbook to automatically open. When user2 opens Excel, I'd like a diffferent workbook to automatically open. Is this possible? (Each user logs into Windows usning their uuser account.) The computer is running windows XP pro and Excel 2007. Thanks, Something like this might work for you. This is untested. Post back if this doesn't work for you. Place the following macro in the ThisWorkbook module. You would need to change ThePath to your real path, the user account names for Joe and Bill...