Connect to SQL Express database difficulties

I have just joined the "I'm sure I've missed something obvious club"

I have VBExpress 2008 installed with SQL Express 2008 with the SQL Express
management studio.

I started building a prototype database in Management Studio: nothing
complex, just a cascade of administratve tables to create a logical context
for the real data.
Next I created a project which would provide simple linked controls to
populate the tables to see if the concept worked.
Next I tried to Connect the Project to the Database.
I thought this would be easy as I had already experimented with an Access
database containing some typical data. however, after several days I am
still trying.
The process involves navigating through the wizard selecting Microsoft SQL
Server Database File and then navigating through Computer - Program Files -
Microsoft SQL Server - - Data and then <Mydatabase>.mdf

With VBE2005 +SQLE2005 it works beautifully (on Vista)
With VBE1008 +SQLE2008 it fails saying i am not authorised to open the
file!!!! (Win7 64bit)
I have to go via Program Files (x86) - Microsoft SQL Server -
MSSQL10.SQLExpress -MSSQL - Data - <my database>.mdf.
This gives me; "you don't have permission to open this file" "Contact the
file Owner or Administrator to obtain permission". Well, that's me! I can't
see anything in the permissions that makes this file inaccessible to a user
who is also the administrator?
So what stupid thing have I done wrong?

As an aside, this seems to me to be an almighty cackhanded way of doing this
when SQL server has all these lovely tables the wizard could use to go
straight there: or am I being punished for being a poor member of the
underclass who uses Express?

Thank you

0
Alan
1/14/2010 11:55:54 AM
dotnet.general 306 articles. 0 followers. Follow

First off - It has nothing to do with SQL Express. (free version vs paying
version)
The real version would/could give you the same issue.

When you run VS2008 ( before you click on it ) - right click on it and
select "run as administrator".

See if that works first.

Second...open up the SQL2008 server in management studio - and you might
have to add yourself as a valid user for the file.

I remember those were my issues originally when I started playing with it.

Miro

"Alan Gillott" <argillott.x@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I have just joined the "I'm sure I've missed something obvious club"
>
> I have VBExpress 2008 installed with SQL Express 2008 with the SQL Express
> management studio.
>
> I started building a prototype database in Management Studio: nothing
> complex, just a cascade of administratve tables to create a logical
> context
> for the real data.
> Next I created a project which would provide simple linked controls to
> populate the tables to see if the concept worked.
> Next I tried to Connect the Project to the Database.
> I thought this would be easy as I had already experimented with an Access
> database containing some typical data. however, after several days I am
> still trying.
> The process involves navigating through the wizard selecting Microsoft SQL
> Server Database File and then navigating through Computer - Program
> Files -
> Microsoft SQL Server - - Data and then <Mydatabase>.mdf
>
> With VBE2005 +SQLE2005 it works beautifully (on Vista)
> With VBE1008 +SQLE2008 it fails saying i am not authorised to open the
> file!!!! (Win7 64bit)
> I have to go via Program Files (x86) - Microsoft SQL Server -
> MSSQL10.SQLExpress -MSSQL - Data - <my database>.mdf.
> This gives me; "you don't have permission to open this file" "Contact the
> file Owner or Administrator to obtain permission". Well, that's me! I
> can't
> see anything in the permissions that makes this file inaccessible to a
> user
> who is also the administrator?
> So what stupid thing have I done wrong?
>

> As an aside, this seems to me to be an almighty cackhanded way of doing
> this
> when SQL server has all these lovely tables the wizard could use to go
> straight there: or am I being punished for being a poor member of the
> underclass who uses Express?
>
> Thank you

0
Miro
1/14/2010 4:23:07 PM
Thank you Miro'
Run as administrator did the trick: looks as if VB2005 installed this way,
2008 didn't. c'est la vie!

"Miro" <miro@beero.com> wrote in message
> First off - It has nothing to do with SQL Express. (free version vs paying
> version)
> The real version would/could give you the same issue.
>
> When you run VS2008 ( before you click on it ) - right click on it and
> select "run as administrator".
>
> See if that works first.
>
> Second...open up the SQL2008 server in management studio - and you might
> have to add yourself as a valid user for the file.
>
> I remember those were my issues originally when I started playing with it.
>
> Miro
>
> "Alan Gillott" <argillott.x@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have just joined the "I'm sure I've missed something obvious club"
>>
>> I have VBExpress 2008 installed with SQL Express 2008 with the SQL
>> Express
>> management studio.
>>
>> I started building a prototype database in Management Studio: nothing
>> complex, just a cascade of administratve tables to create a logical
>> context
>> for the real data.
>> Next I created a project which would provide simple linked controls to
>> populate the tables to see if the concept worked.
>> Next I tried to Connect the Project to the Database.
>> I thought this would be easy as I had already experimented with an Access
>> database containing some typical data. however, after several days I am
>> still trying.
>> The process involves navigating through the wizard selecting Microsoft
>> SQL
>> Server Database File and then navigating through Computer - Program
>> Files -
>> Microsoft SQL Server - - Data and then <Mydatabase>.mdf
>>
>> With VBE2005 +SQLE2005 it works beautifully (on Vista)
>> With VBE1008 +SQLE2008 it fails saying i am not authorised to open the
>> file!!!! (Win7 64bit)
>> I have to go via Program Files (x86) - Microsoft SQL Server -
>> MSSQL10.SQLExpress -MSSQL - Data - <my database>.mdf.
>> This gives me; "you don't have permission to open this file" "Contact the
>> file Owner or Administrator to obtain permission". Well, that's me! I
>> can't
>> see anything in the permissions that makes this file inaccessible to a
>> user
>> who is also the administrator?
>> So what stupid thing have I done wrong?
>>

>> As an aside, this seems to me to be an almighty cackhanded way of doing
>> this
>> when SQL server has all these lovely tables the wizard could use to go
>> straight there: or am I being punished for being a poor member of the
>> underclass who uses Express?
>>
>> Thank you

0
Alan
1/18/2010 10:48:57 AM
Glad that worked.

Otherwise I was out of ideas ;)

M.

> Thank you Miro'
> Run as administrator did the trick: looks as if VB2005 installed this way,
> 2008 didn't. c'est la vie!
>
> "Miro" <miro@beero.com> wrote in message
>> First off - It has nothing to do with SQL Express. (free version vs
>> paying version)
>> The real version would/could give you the same issue.
>>
>> When you run VS2008 ( before you click on it ) - right click on it and
>> select "run as administrator".
>>
>> See if that works first.
>>
>> Second...open up the SQL2008 server in management studio - and you might
>> have to add yourself as a valid user for the file.
>>
>> I remember those were my issues originally when I started playing with
>> it.
>>
>> Miro
>>
>> "Alan Gillott" <argillott.x@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I have just joined the "I'm sure I've missed something obvious club"
>>>
>>> I have VBExpress 2008 installed with SQL Express 2008 with the SQL
>>> Express
>>> management studio.
>>>
>>> I started building a prototype database in Management Studio: nothing
>>> complex, just a cascade of administratve tables to create a logical
>>> context
>>> for the real data.
>>> Next I created a project which would provide simple linked controls to
>>> populate the tables to see if the concept worked.
>>> Next I tried to Connect the Project to the Database.
>>> I thought this would be easy as I had already experimented with an
>>> Access
>>> database containing some typical data. however, after several days I am
>>> still trying.
>>> The process involves navigating through the wizard selecting Microsoft
>>> SQL
>>> Server Database File and then navigating through Computer - Program
>>> Files -
>>> Microsoft SQL Server - - Data and then <Mydatabase>.mdf
>>>
>>> With VBE2005 +SQLE2005 it works beautifully (on Vista)
>>> With VBE1008 +SQLE2008 it fails saying i am not authorised to open the
>>> file!!!! (Win7 64bit)
>>> I have to go via Program Files (x86) - Microsoft SQL Server -
>>> MSSQL10.SQLExpress -MSSQL - Data - <my database>.mdf.
>>> This gives me; "you don't have permission to open this file" "Contact
>>> the
>>> file Owner or Administrator to obtain permission". Well, that's me! I
>>> can't
>>> see anything in the permissions that makes this file inaccessible to a
>>> user
>>> who is also the administrator?
>>> So what stupid thing have I done wrong?
>>>

>>> As an aside, this seems to me to be an almighty cackhanded way of doing
>>> this
>>> when SQL server has all these lovely tables the wizard could use to go
>>> straight there: or am I being punished for being a poor member of the
>>> underclass who uses Express?
>>>
>>> Thank you

0
Miro

OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6 #29
I RECENTLY STARTED USING WINDOWS UPDATE. AFTER MY FIRST UPDATE I NOTICED TWO CHANGES IN MY OUTLOOK EXPRESS 6 AS FOLLOWS: FIRST, WHEN I OPEN OUTLOOK EXPRESS IT DOES NOT ASK ME FOR MY PASSWORD. SECOND, WHEN I CREATE NEW MAIL THE WINDOW COMES UP MAXIMIZED AND WILL NOT MINIMIZE. I DO NOT KNOW FOR SURE THAT THE WINDOWS UPDATE CAUSED THIS CHANGE BUT I CANNOT THINK OF ANYTHING ELSE. I AM ON A NETWORK AND NONE OF THE OTHER COMPUTER WHICH DO NOT USE THE WINDOWS UPDATE DO THIS. I HAVE WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL. "TERRIE" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message...

Incorrect number of unread messages in Outlook Express
I've seen this problem listed in several places, but have yet to find a satisfactory answer. Here's my sitation: I have a computer that shows an incorrect number of unread messages in the Outlook Express Inbox whenever it downloads messages. Sometimes it's only 1 more than the number it downloaded, sometimes more. I'm not subscribed to any newsgroups, nor do I have any rules or mail filters enabled, including junk mail filters. We've had this problem through two different IMAP accounts, two different ISPs, two different email addresses, and on two different Windows use...

backup address book in outlook express ?
How do i backup the Address Book in Outlook Express? Tim http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/ for OE help, this an OL ng, different app "Gauthier" <timsandi@interlog.com> wrote in message news:%23dUF05XdEHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > How do i backup the Address Book in Outlook Express? > > Tim > > ...

Error, unable to connect to incoming server
I can't not receive mail from my server. I've contacted my internet provider and they said it was a software problem. Every time I changed my advanced settings and then log off of Outlook they change back to what they were when I go back into Outlook. Any advice? You probably have some anti-virus software that is changing your settings. Turn it off and see if that helps. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Mills" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0...

Outlook, Outlook Express
I would like to use Outlook for Calendar and Contacts but not for e-mail. I want to use Outlook Express for e-mail. How can I turn off the email function in Outlook? Thanks Just don't add any e-mail accounts to Outlook, and make sure it's not set to check for new mail automatically. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:027401c3cc19$cb7e0bf0$a601280a@phx.gbl, Bruce E wrote: > I would like to use Outlook for Calendar and Contacts but > ...

MAS90 connection
I talked with someone at a trade show about a product they had that tied MAS90 into CRM. Does anyone have any information on the company and/or the product? This is the company you need i think www.ebridgesoft.com "Brad Schow" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:488D2F2F-35CC-464A-99A4-C026FAB2AE30@microsoft.com... > I talked with someone at a trade show about a product they had that tied MAS90 into CRM. Does anyone have any information on the company and/or the product? ...

Database hanging up
I'm trying to delve into a database that was originally developed in earlier versions of Access, and now has been converted to Access 2007. All I'm doing right now is looking at objects and documenting them, but I'm finding frequent occurrences of the database hanging up (sometimes) when I open the query window for a form's record source, view it in SQL view, then close SQL view then try to close the query window. Any ideas on this wierdity? -- Carolyn Kay Chicago, IL I had a similar problem with a couple of Queries and Forms. I opened them in Design Vi...

outlook express #161
I have Windows XP home on my laptop with microsoft word97 installed. I have outlook express version 6. The spell checker will not function at all when requested to check my email. I have set up everthing on the spell tab in tools option but still get the microsoft exception error. Does anyone have a solution to this problem!. "DaveG" <david.goddard25@ntlworld.com> wrote in message news:5HyWb.282$bM6.264@newsfep3-gui.server.ntli.net... > I have Windows XP home on my laptop with microsoft word97 installed. I have > outlook express version 6. The spell checker will not fu...

manually connecting Visat machine to sbs network
Hi I need to manually connect a vista machine to a SBS network. ConnectComputer does not work. We have expended dozens of hours on this and it is not going to happen. At the botom of this page http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926505 it says "If you used the previously published steps to manually join the Windows Vista-based computer or the Windows 7-based computer to a Windows SBS network..." My question is how do I do this as I can't find the previously published instructions. Thanks jc There is *no* reason why the connectcomputer should n...

Excel database update #3
Hi, Have an excel template that should send data into a excel database. When I run a marco, the database does not automatically update, but if i do it step by step it updates. ("MatTer1.xls") when saved should update the database, by creating a new record in the code hereunder ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized Windows("CHAVES.xls").Activate ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized Selection.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(2, 0).Range("A1").Select ActiveSheet.Paste Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized ...

Model Database in SQL server
I was just wondering what this model database is for. I was setting up a maintenance plan for SQL server 2005, specifically transaction log backup schedule. And I selected "Dynamics", " master", "model", "msdb" respectively from specific database drop down box. And only a transaction log of model database gets backed up and I assumed it is because no transaction has been entered into the system yet. So, I was wondering why only transaction log of model database got backed up, even other databases do not get backed up. Please let me know, akio...

Outlook Express #300
Can someone tell me how to download Microsoft Outlook Express? I have searched the Microsoft site and can't find a download to just download outlook express. -- Thanks, Scott On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:54:02 -0700, "Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can someone tell me how to download Microsoft Outlook Express? I have >searched the Microsoft site and can't find a download to just download >outlook express. Go to the Internet Explorer website and you'll find it there. Outlook Express is part of IE. -- <<<SgtRich>>> Ema...

internet connection disconnect
Hi, i start windows live mail recently and observed every time i use WLM my connection (ADSL MODEM) disconnect and error report sends, with outlook 2007 no problem Thanks in advance Shalom Chris Fernando On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 00:56:01 -0700, Chris Fernando wrote: > Hi, i start windows live mail recently and observed every time i use WLM my > connection (ADSL MODEM) disconnect and error report sends, with outlook 2007 > no problem I would begin by checking the Internet Properties (accessed either by the "Tools" menu in WLMail, or the Control Panel), and che...

Remote Access Connection (RAS) over satellite on XP3
Client Machine(where I connect from) - XP Service Pack 3, PcAnywhere 10.5/11. Host Machine(where I connect to) - XP Service Pack 3, PcAnywhere 11. When I connect using PcAnywhere 10.5/11 to a host machine, I have problem whereby the remote connection is super slow. When the connection is establised, you need to count of 20 - 30 before it gets to load other windows/screens/pages. For your information, how the host receive a signal is via satellite. So how I connect to the host basically, the remote access has to go through the satellite dish > Indoor Unit (IDU) > 3Com Swi...

Programmatically Update a Form's Combo Box Default Value and SQL Record Source
I have one Sales Activity form that I use for data entry and for viewing all records by Sales Person (EmployeeID). Without having to have multiple instances of this form, I want to accomplish the below; based on which EmployeeID (sales person) opens the form in either mode: 1. For the data entry mode – I want the Combo Box’s Default Value to change, based on my user (EmployeeID); 2. Show All Records mode – I want the SQL record source to filter on that sales person’s records (EmployeeID) I’ve got some code for passwords, so I hope I can utilize that part of it; I just do not know how to do ...

Backup and restore to new database
Hi I'm trying to take a backup in 2005 and restore it to multiple databases. It's part of a test environment we are trying to set up. I basically want to mimic the ability to completely overwrite the database which you can, or used to able to do, in the GUI. I'm getting errors about the tail log when backing up or that the files from the old data don't match the new database. Sorry I don't have exact errors or code to hand - it seems such a basic thing to do I was hoping someone would have a script. It needs to be TSQL as I'm going to be running it from s...

Smartlist Builder Smartlist based on new View in SQL 2008 with GP
Hi there, I created one smartlist based on a view in SQL 2008. Smartlist is ok and working fine with my user id and sa. But when I give security access to other users, they can see the Smartlist Option but when they click it they get error message that don't have rights to one of the table used in this smartlist. I also have given them Grants through SQL Server. But no effect. What is the problem? Naseer, Check my article on the subject at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/12/smartlist-builder-security-for-sql.html. It explains an issue similar to the one you are havin...

Connecting to domain on SBS 2003 after windows xp sp3 repair
I'm having a problem with a computer at work. The computer is a dell optiplex gx270 it runs windows xp pro sp3. It is part of the office domain. A few days ago there was a problem shutting it down cleanly. As a result the person just hit the power button to shut the pc off. After that when the computer started it would boot and go through the windows start up but would when you tried to hit ctrl-alt-del to log in nothing would happen. There was absolutely no way to log on. I tried doing a manual rollback of the registry to a few days before the initial incident but that didn't ...

importing/exporting Outlook Express 6.0 Messages
Exporting Outlook Express 6.0 on Window 98 to Outlook Express 6.0 on Window XP Home Edition: Following intruction for exporting/importing message fail! "Cannot initialize MAPI" Importing/exporting address book does not work either. Appreciate help. Thanks. Please post in an Outlook Express Group.: Microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6_outlookexpress "joseph" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16bf501c44845$c856ede0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Exporting Outlook Express 6.0 on Window 98 to Outlook > Express 6.0 on Window XP Home Edit...

Leading and trailing spaces trimmed with SQL XML
Hi, I am inserting data into a table using xml bulk insert. One of the field is of string type and contains data with leading and trailing spaces. But on insert the spaces automatically trimmed off. Can you please tell me how to avoid this trimming of spaces, as i have to insert data using xml. EXEC sp_xml_preparedocument @hDoc OUTPUT, @InsertLines INSERT INTO tblLine WITH (TABLOCKX) ([Text]) SELECT [Text] FROM OPENXML (@hDoc, '/Lines/Line', 1) WITH ([Text] nvarchar(max)) EXEC sp_xml_removedocument @hDoc Thank you Frank bad_clone (bad_clone@hotmail.com) writes: ...

cannot seem to connect (it figures...)
I recently received a Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop. Since I only have a dial-up connection and I want to use this in a room where there is no telephone jack, I needed a long phone cord to connect the laptop to the phone jack. I attached the 50' cord to the laptop last week and all went fine connecting to the Internet. However, I cannot seem to make the connection again this week. I enter the password and it dials (pulse!), and the box says "connected to remote computer", then "verifying name and password", then finally "unable to establish a connection&q...

Whats with this 300-400 MHz connectivity ?
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE68M3KL20100923?feedType=nl&feed... Any thoughts how things would change moving away form higher spectrum ? OK, the questions : 0) What hardware updates we need other than generator/receiver and PLL. 1) Nothing for software , right? (Firmware should be working seamlessly ) ali Wrong newsgroup. Unfortunately, the wireless NG no longer exists. --pa "Ali" <abdulrazaq@gmail.com> wrote in message news:6d9b80d5-5f65-45c0-a971-783560d744ea@b14g2000pro.googlegroups.com... > > http://www.reuters.com...

Quick Campaign
I'm trying to create a report on some Quick Campaigns I've created. Does anyone know where Quick Campaign data is stored? What tables? Using v3.0 Thanks! James ...

Equation connecting two data quantities
Hi, I have data like this: in an excel sheet. Q C Equation 1 2 3 4 ; 22 44 34 55 88; ? Is there anyway that I can get an equation connecting these two quantities Q and C, (data arranged in this manner only, as I have lot of data where in I cant put that in two separate rows because of some constraints) Can I get a formula connecting these two variables in the quation cell. Thanks Assuming that the data fits a linear plot (and that you have a typo): read help on SLOPE and INTERCEPT If not linear; find how to draw a trendline; find trendline...

Outlook Express Deletes Folders
Using Outlook Express. I went do delete an email from my created inbox folder (which then contains a number of sub- folders) by the usual "shift+delete" method and instead of bringing up the confirmation dialog that folder and all its subs just vanished! I have looked in the store folder and all the DBX files are just gone... I've just lost a few thousand emails from over 3 years, any ideas what has happend and maybe how I can get them back? Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlo...