window based authentication with members defined in a distribution list. 02-21-10

I want windows based authentication for a particular folder of my web pages.
This page should be accessible to only some of the managers and some other
roles.
I don't want to allow or deny role and persons in web.config.

Rather, is it possible that a distribution list created in active directory
of the domain and linked with web config? The logins that are there in the
distribution list will only be able to view the pages and others will get
error.aspx page.

In this way, the non-technical higher position persons will also be able to
grant and deny access to other members.

0
Biranchi

Biranchi Narayan Panda wrote:
> I want windows based authentication for a particular folder of my web
> pages. This page should be accessible to only some of the managers
> and some other roles.
> I don't want to allow or deny role and persons in web.config.
>
> Rather, is it possible that a distribution list created in active
> directory of the domain and linked with web config? The logins that
> are there in the distribution list will only be able to view the
> pages and others will get error.aspx page.
>
> In this way, the non-technical higher position persons will also be
> able to grant and deny access to other members.

You should be aware that each folder in a website can have its own
web.config file in which you can create this restriction. And yes, an AD
group can certainly be used instead of a user's name in the web.config file.

Please note: m.p.inetserver.asp.general is a classic ASP group and has only
a few dotnet-aware regulars. For that reason, I am removing it from the
distribution list for this reply.

--
Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET - 2004-2007
"NO SPAM"

0
Bob
2/21/2010 7:12:55 PM
"Bob Barrows" wrote:
> yes, an AD  group can certainly be used instead of a user's
> name in the web.config file.

Alas I am unclear on this point. I have exactly the same wish. That a non
tech savvy manager without access to the web server per se, can via their
MS-Outlook Address book and managing a distribution list, win two immediate
benefits:

a) The ability to control who has access to a web site, and
b) The ability to email them as a group.

Now I find what you've suggested very encouraging Bob and am back here after
a good 20 minutes of reading google results varying my search without
successfully finding clear documentation or an example.

Here's what I have in my web.config now:

		<authorization>
			<allow roles="domain\websiteusers"/>
			<deny users="*"/>
		</authorization>

alas "domain\websiteusers" is a security group set by our IT staff and not
to my knowledge easily modified by a manager using the tools they have. Hence
the interest in a distribution list. Now let me suppose I have a distribution
list on Active Directory named "domain\websiteuserlist"

I have tested both of these scenarios quickly with no success:

		<authorization>
			<allow roles="domain\websiteuserlist"/>
			<deny users="*"/>
		</authorization>

and

		<authorization>
			<allow users="domain\websiteuserlist"/>
			<deny users="*"/>
		</authorization>

now I'm tempted to conclude from you cursory statement that the latter test
should function. Alas I haven't replicated it. I add a user to
domain\websiteuserlist and voila, the still can't access the website.

It may be that all I'm experience is latency. That ti would help if I
rebooted their PC, or had them log out and in again, and/or the server and/or
.... my point is simply groping for answers in the dark is a frustrating time
consumer and the lack of clear documentation has frustrated me.

I look at  page like this:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/acsd09b0%28VS.80%29.aspx

and I feel like reprimanding a microsoft documenters (well, humility aside,
I've managed documentation for years and would indeed be having a chat with
my staff about a page like this). What exactly IS a user and role? Where are
they defined? At best it sends me off to some obtuse pages on ASP role
management which takes me down many paths not of immediate interest to me
(although it would no doubt of great benefit if I took the time to research
and understand the complete security model all the same I ma interested
primarily in a quick answer - greedy I am). In short this page ought to tell
me clearly what kinds of strings are valid as roles and users and where they
are defined. And it doesn't.

Anyhow, if you perchance have the time for a clear example I would be
grateful to you. In the mean time I am in the dark still unless I stumble
upon another clarification soon.

Cheers,

Bernd.

How to reinstall or repair Windows Media Player 11
My Windows Media Player 11 is broken. It sounds horrible. The sound is garbled and no amount of adjustments change this. Previous attempts to get help fixing this have been unsuccessful. And now, if I burn MP3s with it, to a CD, the CD will not play in stand-alone players. It gives a No Disc message, though I can see that the disc has been burned. So... How about uninstalling it then reinstalling? Repairing it? Rolling back to an older version? I found these instructions: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/readme.aspx#RollingbacktoapreviousversionofthePl...

office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance ot T&C's each time
office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance of T&C's each time i open work or excell or any office program. How do I get rid of this? Boot into Safe mode in Windows 7,open any Office app and then accept the terms -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "mouser830" <mouser830@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E7B7602D-F5D8-4559-98EF-A2CCC1E2D6FD@microsoft.com... > office 2003 w/ windows 7 requires reacceptance of T&C's each time i op...

Hello 04-11-10
Hello Haw do you do? ...

Need help with formula 01-13-10

Check correction patch for Microsoft Windows
--jgfiyombh Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="kgqnlddpakhbjo"; type="multipart/alternative" --kgqnlddpakhbjo Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="pdizbrrdstws" --pdizbrrdstws Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MS Consumer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to maintain the securit...

SUMPRODUCT 01-21-10
The following formula works fine: =SUMPRODUCT(--(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$BL1:$BL$6000")={"A"}),--(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$O$1:$O$6000")="XN01"),(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$CI$1:$CI$6000"))) However, I cant seem to get the following to work: =SUMPRODUCT(--(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$BL1:$BL$6000")={"A","B"}),--(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$O$1:$O$6000")="XN01","XR01"),(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$CI$1:$CI$6000"))) I need to be able to summarise (using a headcount indicator (1) in Column CI) ...

Comparing first and last names in two lists

List Running Horizontally-Pivot Table Possible?
I just had a customer ask this one and I'm not so sure about it. 1) The customer has setup a list of information that is running horizontally instead of the typical list running vertically. 2) I just taught him how to do pivot tables and he wants to generate a pivot table with his "horizontal" list. 3) I know he can copy and paste special and use the Transpose feature to change the list from horizontally oriented to vertically oriented. 4) the question is: can he leave the table in its original orientation and still generate Pivot tables? I can't seem to make it work ...

Error Code 80070424 12-21-09
I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In the window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any ideas? Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my problem? "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D2E5CF0C-D31B-4034-B4A8-A8204763A623@microsoft.com... > I keep getting this Windows update error every time I boot my PC. In the > window, it says Windows can't check for updates. Does anyone have any > ideas? > > Recently I installed BitTorrent so could that be my proble...

Rule to automatically mark header to download based on contact list?
Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? TIA. Rich On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 04:44:35 -1000, rmc <rmc@nospam.com> wrote: > Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? What version of Outlook are you using? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP Hi Ben: 2003 SP1 Rich "Ben M. Schorr - MVP" <bens@bogusaddress.mvp> wrote in message news:op.spuxh8sf6r4cx1@bms-tablet2.scgab.com... > On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 04:44:35 -1000, rmc <rmc@nospam.com> wrote: > > > Is there a way to do this, or an add-in? > > What version of Outlook are you using? > > > -- >...

GP 10 sp1 Installation guide
Did anyone get a copy of the installation guide for the sp? I am downloading the sp but I get an "access denied" error with the docs. If so, can you email to me offline. Contact me and I will send you my email address. -- Joanne Mahoney SDN Consulting Jacksonville, FL I was able to download the install guide. Please send me your email and I will email to you. Steve Berlin steveber@hotmail.com "Joanne" wrote: > Did anyone get a copy of the installation guide for the sp? I am downloading > the sp but I get an "access denied" error with the docs. &...

List folders to file

Combo
Hi, I am able to create a list of items with a drop down menu. I can select specific item but how do I select all item to get a query output. Your help would be much appreciated. Thanks You can't select multiple items from an Access combo box. To do that would require a listbox with it's MULTI-SELECT property set to SIMPLE or EXTENDED. See more info about list boxes here: http://www.fontstuff.com/access/acctut11.htm -- Bob Larson Access World Forums Super Moderator Utter Access VIP Tutorials at http://www.btabdevelopment.com __________________________________ If my post ...

Disable people picker in a sharepoint list
Dear all, I would like to disable the users/groups picker field in a SharePoint list (NewForm.aspx). I managed to disable the field itself (text box) but it's still possible to click on the "Browse" button and search for people that then get eneterd in the field. Is there a way to disable the browsing? Thank you in advance, Hrvoje I think you will delete that column. 1. Settings>List settings>Click you wnat column name on Colums category. 2. Click "delete" button. And then you can make other column. "Hrvoje" wrote: > ...

Combining Lists within excel.
I'm hoping someone can help here. I'll try to explain the problem I have. I have 2 worksheets both containing a product list. I have entries on one worksheet which I need on the other, so basically my question is... might there be a way of combining these two lists so one updates the other with the missing entries. Help on this would be great, as they are very large lists which I dont much fancy the thought of looking through them manually. Are you familiar with the VLOOKUP function? I use it all the time for this type of problem. vlookup(Product cell in first sheet, Array...

XP Look and Feel in Windows 2000 using ComCtrl32.dll
Hai I Want to have a XP Look and feel under windows2000 using VC++ and ComCtrl32.dll and does any one have any idea please help me as basically iam looking to develop a Skin Waiting for your reply suresh You will have to draw many of your own components. You could purchase a library like the one from www.codejock.com or www.dundas.com or or www.bcgsoft.com use something like this: These are for Office XP, but you'll get the idea. It's a ton of work: http://www.codeproject.com/miscctrl/officexp.asp Tom "suresh" <s...

Sharing Violation 04-30-10
I have a strange problem that started happening a month or two ago. Periodically my Vista and Win7 users are getting a sharing violation in Excel 2003 when attempting to save the file they have been working on. The file cannot be saved when this happens, but Excel creates a copy of the file that is named (seemingly randomly) something like "10D8D000" that can be saved to another filename. Essentially the original file must be deleted and the new file renamed back to what the original file was named. This is obviously very irritating (we use Excel alot), so I was want...

Utility to process rules based on message receive times?
Hi, Does anyone know of a utility that will check a mailbox and process Outlook rules based on how long a message has been in an inbox, and/or remained unread? Thanks! Jeff Yes, there is at least one - Auto-mate. http://www.slipstick.com/addins/auto.htm#special -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exch...

copy & insert based on criterial
When Department changes I need to insert the ADDRESS below the Account-Institution Business Office:. Another option I have is that if address = get new address from page 2. HELP xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ending 02/13/10 Account-Institution Business Office: DEPT EMP.NBR EMPLOYEE NAME ADDRESS 883 27903 ROBERSON, JOE abc 883 119245 MUSIL, TODD E abc 883 Total ----------------------------------------------------------------- Account-Institution Business Office: DEPT EMP.NBR EMPLO...

Preventing outside work to send email to a distribution group
I want this distribution group for internal use only. How can I stop the outside to send message to this address. ...

drop down lists #7
I haave a drop down list which is in a table. When I change the selection (on the list) I want another cell in my "price column" to change value with it. Is this possible? Hi You could create a list with values relating to the items in your dropdown list. Set up on Sheet2 in cells A1:B100 a list with Item in A and price in B Supposing your Column with the dropdown is Sheet 1 column A, and your Price column is column C. In C1 =Vlookup(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$B$100,2,0) -- Regards Roger Govier "Vivek" <Vivek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B16A028...

Windows Live Calendar 01-28-10
Is there a way I can send one URL and allow access to a family member for ALL five of my calendars as I see it in Windows Live? ...

How do I get a list of data on one sheet into the form on the fir.
I have a timecard form on the first tab of a workbook & the various employee crew combinations on each of the subsequent tabs (each crew on a seperate tab). How do I format the for to get the employee name info from the individual crew tab required? Let me clarify my question - I am trying to use the first tab (the form) as a constant form & just change the employees names in that specific field based on the crew I want to generate the timesheet for. The crew lists are on the sugsequent tabs. I would like to be able to select the crew & print the form with only those emp...

Scrolling splitter windows via keyboard
I want to be able to scroll the views in a vertical splitter window (synchronized) in response to the UP, DOWN, PAGEUP, PAGEDOWN keys. How can this be achieved? I set up the scroll sizes by calling SetScrollSizes in OnInitialUpdate() and then handle the OnKeyDown message in the view of the splitter window. In the OnKeyDown function, I tried calling OnVScroll(), but it does not work!! Can someone please help? Thank you Abhijit Abhijit, You might perhaps want to try calling ScrollToPosition instead of OnVScroll. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "Abhijit" <abhijit_patait_N...