Javascript to retrieve Gridview cell text

This is a Label in ItemTemplate

i wish to use javascript to put <%# Eval("Organization") %> in a textbox

How can i take the text value of <%# Eval("Organization") %>?

put this -  onmousedown="alert(<%# Eval("�ӽо��c") %>)"  ???

thanks for any ideas?

***********************
<asp:Label ID="Label11" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Organization") %>'
 ></asp:Label>
&nbsp;<asp:Label ID="Label2" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Department") %>'
</asp:Label>

0
Tony

"Tony WONG" <x34@netvigator.com> wrote in message

> This is a Label in ItemTemplate
>
> i wish to use javascript to put <%# Eval("Organization") %> in a textbox
>
> How can i take the text value of <%# Eval("Organization") %>?
>
> put this -  onmousedown="alert(<%# Eval("�ӽо��c") %>)"  ???
>
> thanks for any ideas?
>
> ***********************
> <asp:Label ID="Label11" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Organization") %>'
> ></asp:Label>
> &nbsp;<asp:Label ID="Label2" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Department")
> %>' </asp:Label>

I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Do you need to reference the contents
of an asp:Label in client-side JavaScript?

If so, then all you need to know is that an asp:Label is rendered as an HTML

<script type = "text/javascript">
    var label1 = document.getElementById('<%=Label1.ClientID%>');
    var label1Text = label1.innerText;
</script>

BTW, you really should consider giving your controls more meaningful and
descriptive names than "Label1", "Label2" etc...

--
Mark Rae
ASP.NET MVP

0
Mark
12/29/2009 1:42:00 PM
Thank you for your patient to listen my problem

I tried many solutions for a few hours and still fail
the problem is how to retrieve the label text in a itemTemplate of a
Gridview

***** asp.net *************
  <ItemTemplate>
            <asp:Label ID="LbOrg" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Org") %>'
onmousedown='SearchOrg();'></asp:Label>
  </ItemTemplate>

try many ways, return error "LbOrg not declared"
****** javascript *********
   var controlId = document.getElementById('<%=LbOrg.ClientID%>').text;
   var controlId = document.getElementById('<%=LbOrg.ClientID%>').value;
   var controlId = document.getElementById('<%=LbOrg.ClientID%>').innerText;
   var controlId = document.getElementById('<%=LbOrg.ClientID%>').innerHTML;

********* html ******************
name</span>

i know there is a long solution by assigning index at rowdatabound, and
javascript retrieve parameter of the row index

but it seems asp.net solution is much shorter.

Grateful for any assistance.  thx.

"Mark Rae [MVP]" <mark@markNOSPAMrae.net>
???????:Oi%23yyyIiKHA.5596@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> "Tony WONG" <x34@netvigator.com> wrote in message
>
>> This is a Label in ItemTemplate
>>
>> i wish to use javascript to put <%# Eval("Organization") %> in a textbox
>>
>> How can i take the text value of <%# Eval("Organization") %>?
>>
>> put this -  onmousedown="alert(<%# Eval("�ӽо��c") %>)"  ???
>>
>> thanks for any ideas?
>>
>> ***********************
>> <asp:Label ID="Label11" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Organization") %>'
>> ></asp:Label>
>> &nbsp;<asp:Label ID="Label2" runat="server" Text='<%# Eval("Department")
>> %>' </asp:Label>
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're asking. Do you need to reference the
> contents of an asp:Label in client-side JavaScript?
>
> If so, then all you need to know is that an asp:Label is rendered as an
> HTML <span />. Therefore:
>
> <script type = "text/javascript">
>    var label1 = document.getElementById('<%=Label1.ClientID%>');
>    var label1Text = label1.innerText;
> </script>
>
> BTW, you really should consider giving your controls more meaningful and
> descriptive names than "Label1", "Label2" etc...
>

> --
> Mark Rae
> ASP.NET MVP
> http://www.markrae.net

0
Tony

Copying cell contents to a list
First of all - apologies if this is in the wrong group. I wasn't sure if it should be newusers (which I am) or programming (which I might need). I have inherited a lottery syndicate at work after the previous organiser retired. He kept an Excel 97 spreadsheet with 8 columns - A (Date), B to G (Winning numbers) and H (Bonus number). This list has now grown to about 800 rows as each draw's numbers are added to the bottom of the list (I will be removing about 600). I have adapted the spreadsheet to automatically check our numbers against the winning numbers (using HLOOKUP) after I have ...

Tab to specific cells
I am using excel 2002 and my boss 2003. I want to tab to specific cells in my work sheet. Can anyone help me get started? You could try the named range approach. Select your *second* cell for data entry and then hold down <Ctrl> and continue to select all the rest of the desired cells in order, ending with selecting your *first* cell *last*. While the cells are still selected, click in the name box and give this range a short name such as "Entry1". Now, when you're ready for data entry, simply click on the range name in the name box. The focus for the range is th...

can I find merged cells?
I'm trying to sort and get the message "merged cells must be the same size". How can I 'find' the merged cells? David, here is a macro by Dave Peterson that will do it Sub Found_Merged_Cells() 'macro looks for merged cells 'By Dave Peterson Dim myCell As Range Dim resp As Long For Each myCell In ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Cells If myCell.MergeCells Then If myCell.Address = myCell.MergeArea(1).Address Then resp = MsgBox(prompt:="found: " _ & myCell.MergeArea.Addre...

Write formula for simple copy and paste to another cell
I have a worksheet that contains hundreds of columns. Each group of three are related to each other (Cols A-C, D-F, etc...). I have this formula that works well for columns A-C =IF(NOT(ISBLANK('Page 5 Counts'!B2)),VLOOKUP('Page 5 Counts'!B2,'Color Key'!$A$1:$B$87,2,FALSE),IF(AND(COLUMN()=COLUMN($B$1),ROW()=1),IF($A$2=$A$1,"",1),IF(AND(COLUMN()=COLUMN($C$1),ROW()=1),$B$1,IF(AND(COLUMN()=COLUMN($B$2),ROW()=2),IF($A$2=$A$1,2,1),IF(AND(COLUMN()=COLUMN($C$2),ROW()=2),IF($A$2=$A$3,"",IF($A$2=$A$1,$B$2,1)),IF(AND(COLUMN()=COLUMN($B$3),ROW()=3),IF($A...

Text to speech particular cell
hi ive been trying for a while now to get the text to speech function to work for a particular cell. For example, i have a set of numbers and a total in D15, what i would like is that if i change the numbers that contribute to that total, and the total in D15 changes then excel will alert me saying "Change in Total". ive tried and failed to get it notice the changed total and would really appreciate some help Thank You for any contributions Let's put the message in a cell, say D16. In a standard module insert the follow line: Public OldVar As Variant Insert the following...

Publisher
I have prepare a publisher flyer which I will be sending out in a group e-mail. The view of the flyer shows the text boxes as well as the text. How can I delete the text boxes only and not the text. This is the first time I am using publisher. The text box boundary will not print unless you have put a border around it. Have you looked at print preview? Go to view, clear boundaries and guides, you will see how the flyer will look when printed. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Ladybug" <Ladybug@disc...

Numbers V Text
I want to print out a document but I don't want it all printed out in numbers I want the text printed out. Here is what I don't want it say 223, I want to say =SUM(C7:C11)/15 I am sure it can be done via "Options" but I can't work out how. Jim Ducat Toggle the view to Formula View - Ctrl + ` (that's the same key as the tilde ~) MRO "James Ducat" <jd007f1618@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote in message news:x627b.16604$qK6.394@news-binary.blueyonder.co.uk... > I want to print out a document but I don't want it all printed out in > numbers I wan...

Place X in cell if criteria met`
Is there a formula to do this? If cell B2 = pencils Put an "X" in cell B7 If cell B2 = pens Put an "X" in cell B8 If cell B2 = erasers Put an "X" in cell B9 Thanks in advance in cells B7 put =if(B2="pencils","x","") in Cell B8 put =if(B2="pens","x","") In cell B9 put =if(B2="erasers","x","") "jhicsupt" wrote: > Is there a formula to do this? > > If cell B2 = pencils > Put an "X" in cell B7 > > If cell B2 = pens ...

Selecting text for Emailing
Hello, I have question that maybe someone could help me with. I have a database where on the form I placed a command button to send emails. Works great and in fact, I even got it to pull the information from selceted fields on the current record. What I would like to know is: Is there a way to pick up the name of the field and have the information that was inputted in that field appear next to the name in the email? For Example: Currently my email body picks up only the information so the loan number field only shows the loan number and the Date In field only show a date. 123456789 1...

Outlook Message Inline Text
I have Outlook 2002 and need to know if I can change my received message format to inline text. Right now I have e-mails that have been forwarded multiple times as attachments instead of inline text but I can't synchronize it with my Pocket PC because of this. Any Suggestions? Thanks, Benny ...

Outlook Plain Text Setting
I am starting to move my users over to Outlook and Exchange 2003. I noticed that by default Outlook is setting the users up as HTML e-mail. Is there a way that I can set all of my users up with Plain Text for e-mail? Thanks, Jeff That is a user setting, of course, under Tools-->Options-->Mail Format You can use the following to ensure inbound email is read as plain text, and therefor replies will be plain text: http://www.outlook-tips.net/howto/plain_text.htm "Jeff Grossman" <jeff.nospam@stikman.com> wrote in message news:lcr542hthnrf6qfqikqrm4cdebs11ikuaa@4ax.co...

Send Email With Cell Conent as Part of the Subject
Hyperlink is able to send email with cell content in the Subject line. My Case =HYPERLINK("mailto:Collections_Admin?subject=Overdue Balance " & "_"& 'Sheet1'!G15,"Email To Collection Agency") Sheet1G15 has the data I want to show in the subject line. Is it possible to do this with Macros? I am using Lotus Notes for email. Thanks Igbert For lotus code see Sending mail from Lotus Notes (XL-Dennis) http://www.excelkb.com/?cNode=1X5M7A -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm "igbe...

Label a button from a cell content
Hello, Using Excel 97, is their a way to aquire the label for a button from cell on a different worksheet? :confused: Thanks in advance, Sp -- spyrul ----------------------------------------------------------------------- spyrule's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2548 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38935 ...

inserting texts in cell based on conditions
Hi, I would very much appreciate if someone could help me solving a problem, illustrated by the following example: Column A B C 1 1 "LB" 2 1 "DK" 3 4 1 1 "LB/DK" If there's a 1 in column A, the corresponding cell in column C should get the text "LB" inserted into it. If there's a 1 in column C, the corresponding cell in column C should get the text "DK" inserted into it. If both column A and B have ones in them, the corresponding cell should get the...

How do I Add and Subtract percentages in cells
Can anybody help I am trying to add and subtract percentages from cells deducting tax from wages etc. How do i go about it.As i am new to excel Thanks in advance. Ron Ronnie Check out this on-line tutorial for Excel. http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/index.html Specifically the "Basic Math" section. http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/13.html Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 23:06:56 +0100, "Ronnie" <ronnie@broraweb.co.uk> wrote: >Can anybody help I am trying to add and subtract percentages from cells >deducting tax from wages etc. >How do i ...

I want to format a cell based on an adjacent cells value
I would like a cell automatically formatted in the same way a conditional format works - but the format to be based on the value of an adjacent cell. Any ideas as I cant work out how or if I can achieve this Cumbo, Use Conditional Formatting, but change cell valve is to formula is and use something like this, will change the cell if A1=25 =$A$1=25, so if you select B5 and put this in conditional formatting cell B5 will change when A1 = 25 -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on an...

calculation of cells
Periodically I open a work book and the calculation option has been changed to manual and I cannot figure out why. It seems that it would have to be done by a user and most of my spreadsheets are only used by me. Any ideas out there Mark, Calculation, auto or manual, is set by the first workbook that's opened. It is that way for any other workbooks opened in that instance of excel. Look for a workbook you might have opened first that's been set to Manual and saved that way. Go figure. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------...

returning vlookup values for blank cells
I have a spreadsheet that lists "soccer players" by name down the first colunm and "time in game" across the top and the position they play in array. I then use vlookup for another spreedsheet by "position" down the first column, time across the top and puts the players name into the positions. All this works fine. Since there are 5 more kids than positions, the orginal spreedsheet has blanks when the kids are out of the game. How do I use vlookup or other to extract the 5 sub'd out kids at the bottom of the 2nd spreadsheet? It only returns the nam...

Counting cells based on color
I am looking for a "counting" formula that will count cells in a rang based on their color, so that if I color a series of dates (to sho 'vacation) the number of cells (days) will be counted...to keep trac of vacation...thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com There's no built-in functionality for that - it requires a UDF (user-defined function). You'll find several examples in the google archives: http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search? as_ugroup=*excel*&lr=&num=100&hl=en MVP Chip Pearson also has some code: http://www.cpearson.com...

Multiple IF statements in one cell
Excel 2003 on XP. I have a project control listing that has, in part of it, nine columns that will hold the dates that certain stages are met, i.e. a date will be entered as each stage is met and the following stages will be empty, until Stage 9 - Project Complete/Signed Off. Stages 1-9 each have a unique Stage Name/defintion. I would like a following cell in the row to automatically show the Stage Name for the latest date in the corresponding stage cell for that project. I have a nested IF statement that works but as the project list is to get very large I would like a neater way of doin...

Cell formats, and time difference
Hi, some simple questions which I hope someone can help with... I am using excel on a computer with "danish locale". This means that numbers are displayed default like 1234,56. How do I change this to a format using a decimal point (instead of a comma)? How do I find the difference between to times? I have cells which just have times (not dates), and I want to find the difference between two times in hours. For example cells with 08:00 and 09:30 should give a difference of 1.5 Excel help gives an example like =TEXT(B2-A2,"h"), but this gives an error... Thanks, Pet...

Automating transfer of data in cells
I have a time management spreadsheet with data stored against work type and date. I need to transfer this data into a similar but more comprehensive spreadsheet and wonder whether it is possible to automate this task by using the work types and dates in a macro (I have almost 10 months of data to transfer), along the lines of check date, check worktype, where argument is true enter data from cell. I think I need to use visual basic, but I can't find out how in the help screens. Any advice is much appreciated. This is not difficult providing you keep your data in simple tables...

Skip blank cells in diagrams
How do I exclude blank cells in diagrams. If I have an area of data and among these data some is blank. How do I get excel to not display these data as '0' but just to skip the cell. You can include the function NA() in that field and the zero value for the data won't be displayed. "hlp" <hlp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4FF83D9F-F13E-4815-BDDE-26F44F2E6BE1@microsoft.com... > How do I exclude blank cells in diagrams. If I have an area of data and among > these data some is blank. How do I get excel to not display these data as '0...

minimum for casual cells but >0
I have big table with vendors, and I have to find the lowest price for each item, but prices are like: A B C D E F G H I etc. Item x 128 175 0 215 the problem is there are also columns with quantities which shouldn't be included I don't want to include columns e.g. B, D, F etc. AND find minimum price but >0. so I can't use: MIN(C1,E1,G1,I1...) because I'll get 0 as result. I'm looking for the simplest solution. Appreciate for any help. Ctrl/shift/ente...

Save spreadsheet using cell values as filename
I am trying to use a command button to save a spreadsheet using cell values as the file name from the tab Master. For example I want to use cells B2 (Tony.Dungate) and F2 (2010.March) to create a file name of Tony.Dungate.2010.March.xls. Essentialy I would need something like : Master!B2&.&Master!G2&".xls" Can someone advise me on the correct code to do this. I have been trying to use the following without success: Const sRoot As String = "V:\Database Logs\" With ActiveWorkbook .SaveAs Filename:=sRoot & _ ....