windows XP sp3 and usb priority

I have a bulk usb device and the PC requests the status of the device
polling a usb bulk pipe. Using Windows XP Service pack 2, the time of the
status request (write request+read status) is less then 40mS.
After installing service pack 3,  the time of the status request could
increase up to 600mS.
I suspect that service pack 3 applied some patch to obtain this behaviour.
Can i increase the priority of usb transfers or change the configuration of
Windows to obtain the same behaviour of Service pack 2?
I tried to call SetThreadPriority with THREAD_PRIORITY_TIME_CRITICAL, but
this doesn't reduce the time of the status request.
Best Regards

0
Jack

"Jack DarkStar" <gzanone@emmedi.com> wrote:

>I have a bulk usb device and the PC requests the status of the device
>polling a usb bulk pipe. Using Windows XP Service pack 2, the time of the
>status request (write request+read status) is less then 40mS.
>After installing service pack 3,  the time of the status request could
>increase up to 600mS.
>I suspect that service pack 3 applied some patch to obtain this behaviour.

There should not have been any changes that would cause this kind of thing.
A USB write followed by a USB read should take only a few milliseconds. How
are you doing the polling?  Do you have a read request on permanent standby
using overlapped I/O?

I would point out that, with a control request, you can do a write and a
read in a single transaction.
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Outlook XP Freezes Upon Opening as a Result of a Large Inbox File
I tried downloading a 17MB file from my email server and it just caused Outlook XP to freeze up. Now whenever I start Outlook it just freezes. What should I do? Thanks, McClint Downing mcclint_downing@yahoo.com Can you access your ISP's web mail interface and delete that message? --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, McClint asked: | I tried downloading a 17MB file from my email server and it just | caused Outlook XP to freeze u...

Can I install MS Exchange server 2003 SP1 for Win XP?
I am trying to install Microsoft Dynamics in Win xp, it gives an error saying MS Exchange server 2003 SP1 has to be istalle first Can I go ahead and install SP1 for win XP ( THIS IS AN OFFLINE INSTALLTION RIGHT NOW I am not using Exchange server to get my Email) Let me know how to install the same and teh precaution I have to take Most of the errors expected are given for WIN 200 SERVER & 2003 SERVER IN TECHNET HENCE THIS QUESTION TO TYE COMMUNITY Regards Harish Sorry - not even a hint of an Outlook related question. Try a forum for = Microsoft Dynamics. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP ...

windows xp professional
After i log on, while uniblue is still running, a 'pop-up' appears next to the hidden icons arrow. It states: "your computer is at risk, no firewall. Click this balloon to protect your computer". Yet when i go into "control Panel" the settings are as they should be. This has happened 1/2 a dozen times. Is my firewall on or off? Thanks.. -- Steve, Horsecamp. Unfortunately, you posted your message in a Dynamics forum. You should post your question in a Windows XP Professional forum. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Steve" wrote: > After i log on, while...

Confirm window pop up for Firefox, IE but not Chrome
A "Confirm" window pop up for Firefox, IE but not Chrome for my web page with auto refresh every 10 seconds by javascript. How to stop this "Confirm" window from popping up? Operating System: Windows Vista Home URLs (if applicable):http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/showthread.php? p=1070518#post1070518 Error Message: See the attached doc at the above URL for screen shot. ...

Problems closing Windows Mail
When I try to close WM I get a box saying that WM has stopped working and Windows is looking for a solution. It then restarts and it is suggested I go to check for updates. I don't need to as I keep my computer up to date with all available updates but I did anyway and no updates were availoable. I have scanned for viruses etc but computer is clear. Could WM have become corrupted in some way? How can I solve this? Cannot find a download for WM itself, only Windows Live Mail but I would rather not go down that road. No improvements or updates for Windows Mail have been release...

Windows Defender (Beta2) install?
Should I install Windows Defender (Beta2) on our Exchange2003 Server/Windows 2003 Server? On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:59:26 -0700, "Penny Miller" <Penny.Miller@co.chelan.wa.us> wrote: >Should I install Windows Defender (Beta2) on our Exchange2003 Server/Windows >2003 Server? > Absolutely not :) Its a beta. I wouldn't. Honestly, you shouldn't need it. You certainly shouldn't be browsing the net on your servers. "Penny Miller" <Penny.Miller@co.chelan.wa.us> wrote in message news:uKxcGwc1GHA.4116@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Should ...

clearing the immediate window
I've looked into this and I find coding work arounds that I wouldn't expect would be needed after so many years of MS Access. You can do Debug.Print to put info in the immediate window but there doesn't seem to be anything like Debug.Clear. Well that just seems truly odd but typically microsoft so I figured I'd ask here to see if my findings are true. Thanks, Keith There's nothing to clear, why do you need it? or do you mean to clear the immediate window? Keith G Hicks wrote: >I've looked into this and I find coding work arounds that I would...

Windows Explorer: How to get it to expand like I want?
WinXP Pro SP3 When in Windows Explorer, I expand a folders branch using the + sign next to the folders name in the Folders pane. Then I do this to another folders branch using the same technique. I want them both to remain expanded, but when I click on one of the folders in the branch, the other branch closes. I want them both to remain open while I inspect the contents of one of the branch's folders. Is there a way to make it do what I want? TIA Question is what caused this to change? What you ask for is normal behavior. Perhaps you can System Restore to time before it b...

Outlook 2002 with Windows Vista
I have just installed Outlook 2002, as part of Office XP, into my new laptop that has Windows Vista. I was using the trial version of Office 2007, but I uninstalled it when I did not buy it. Outlook was working fine. Also, Outlook 2002 was working fine on my other computer with Windows XP. Every time I run Outlook now, and then do a Send/Receive, it asks for passwords for my two email accounts. Then when I check my email accounts under Tools, Email Accounts, then View or change existing email accounts, then change each email account, in the section for logon information, there is a box ...

Internet Explorer 6.0 Sp1 Component Update 3.0 for Windows 98
For those of you that want to use various Win-2K updates from Microsoft and apply them to your Win-98 system, this update package has been designed to bring together all those various updates and install them automatically. MD InternetExplorer 6.0sp1 Component Update 3.0 *Windows Script Update 5.6 *971961 - Unofficial JScript Security Update *944338 - Unofficial Windows Script Security Update *973354 - Unofficial Outloook Express Cumulative Security Update *976325 - Unofficial Internet Explorer Cumulative Security Update (with uninstall) *905495 - Unofficial Security Update (MSI...

problems with Window.print()
Hello, We have a problem where the Window.print() command does not work from custom forms that are hosted from the isv.config file,After clicking the print button on the print dialog box, it displays the print icon on the internet explorer status bar, but does not send the output to the printer. Any ideas? ...

Win XP SP2 firewall prevents Money 2003 downloading transations
I recently installed Windows XP Service Pack 2. If I turn on the new firewall that comes as part of SP2, Money 2003 won't download transactions (either automatically or on command) from my banks and brokerages. Money works normally if I turn off the firewall. Anyone else experience this? Is there any way to have the firewall and a functioning Money program? Is Microsoft aware of this problem, and if not is there a way to advise them by email, rather than spending a lot of time on the phone? Have you tried reinstalling M2003? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK t...

Macro problem
Hi, I have a spreadsheet for keeping track of my golf scores. The spreadsheet uses a macro for copying the scores to a database sheet and to a statistics sheet. When running this macro the process fails on the statistics sheet. It involves copying 2 matrices from the scorecard sheet to the statistics sheet. If I uninstall the security updates for Excel 2007 in Windows 7 the spreadsheet works like a charm. I usually just removes all excel updates and unchecks updates for excel in Windows Update. However, now I have this update, that keeps installing itself after a reboot (KB982308). I ...

Windows 98 .pub file isn't recognized by Windows XP
How do I access a .pub file generated with the Microsoft Publisher in Windows 98 in Windows XP Home Edition? It's not the version of *Windows* that matters - it's the version of *Publisher*. Which version of Publisher is loaded on the system with Win XP Home? And which version of Publisher are you using on the Win 98 system? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "nhwoods" <nhwoods@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E4976B9-76AE-4E17-92F1-63F5607A67EB@microsoft.com... > How do I access a .pub file generated with the Microsoft Publisher in ...

How to Save All Open Excel Windows??
How can I easily save all open windows in EXCEL? [I have Excel 97.] Thank you. -- Pat (To respond by email please remove "MYPANTS" from the email address at the top.) Excel has an Addin that can accomodate you: 1. Open Excel 2. Click Tools-->Addins 3. Enable/Check the AutoSave Addin and Click OK 4. Click Tool-->AutoSave 5. Choose the "Save All Open workbooks" option 6. (Optionally) Uncheck "Prompt Before Saving". This is not recommended because it will save all open workbooks without notifying you. If you've made any unwanted changes to any open work...

What happens with forms after windows is unlocked
I have several subforms set to function for data entry only (edits, deletes, navigation disabled; additions, data entry enabled). Everything works fine until I lock and unlock my computer. Several seconds after the computer is unlocked both subforms select and display an existing record. In one case it's the first record in the table, in the other a record in the middle and I can't figure out what's special about it. I've tried sticking event handlers on what I though were the most like events to blame but all I've managed to figure out is that whatever is going on is oc...

Tv Tuner Sabrent USB 2.0
Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit Sony VAIO Notebook VGN-NR350FE 3G RAM Hard Disk 250GB Not audio in WinDVR and audio volume is Max -- Xmortal ...

Excel in Window 95 environment
I have long used MS Office with Windows 95. This week I noticed that my normal Excel icon has changed to MS-DOS Excel. I get a black background of "garbage" when I click the icon. When I try to open an excel file, I get a message that tells me to check the path, etc. What happened to my windows excel program and how to I get it back from the MS-DOS excel which has captured my system? You could use Windows Start button|Find to search for excel.exe and modify the shortcut that way. Right click on the shortcut icon and choose properties. Then modify the Target path (and s...

Setting Split form Window Sizes
I can't get A2007 to remember any Split form window sizes after trying various options for the last 4 hours I've had enough, this should be simple. I've got Access options set to overlapping windows. I've switched off Auto Resize and Fit to Screen. I've tried saving the form after I've sized it to how I want. None of the above works - I can nearly get it to work if I set the "Split Form Orientation" to Datasheet on right, but it's still not how I save it!!! If I set the "Orientation" to below it's nowhere near and sometimes...

Help me "dissect" this function (Excel 2002 [XP])
=DSUM(Membership,Membership!$C$49,C1:C3)+DSUM(Revenue,'Revenue Projects'!$D$2,C1:C3) I'm trying to adapt a budget worksheet from another non-profit for our use. I don't know who the author is and I've had it a couple years, so trying to go that route for help is a non-starter. I don't understand why they have Membership twice; I guess one is for the worksheet and the other is the column header, but I don't get it as $C$49 points to a a column label named "Revenue". and C1:C3 point to 2 blank cells and one with the column label "2002". So...

Connecting to domain on SBS 2003 after windows xp sp3 repair
I'm having a problem with a computer at work. The computer is a dell optiplex gx270 it runs windows xp pro sp3. It is part of the office domain. A few days ago there was a problem shutting it down cleanly. As a result the person just hit the power button to shut the pc off. After that when the computer started it would boot and go through the windows start up but would when you tried to hit ctrl-alt-del to log in nothing would happen. There was absolutely no way to log on. I tried doing a manual rollback of the registry to a few days before the initial incident but that didn't ...

How can I add tabs to Bluetooth devices with windows default drive
I want to add an extension profile like FTP to windows default bluetooth driver stack and show a tab when right click on the bluetooth icon. It is said that "By impltmenting a shell proterty handler for the application" in Bluetooth Wireless Technology FAQ. I've tried that but it is only add a property sheet in Bluetooth settings, and my question is how to add a tab in the context menu just like "send a file" tab. Does it need a ContexMenuHandler and where should I registe it? ...

Office XP media content?
I have Office 2003 Small Business edition and running Windows XP Home. Will my old Office XP Media Content disc install and work with Publisher 2003 (and the rest of Office 2003 Small Business Edition)? I installed the media content on my old Office XP setup and don't want to have to continually access the disc when I'm making up publications with the 2003 version. You can install the XP media disk, it will work fine with the 2003 Organizer. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com &q...

attaching child ClistCtrl window to resizable parent Dialog
I'm using Visual C++ 7.0 and MFC With the Wizard, I created a Dialog Window [which I made resizable]. I've place two ClistCtrls side by side on the top of the dialog. I'd like to attach the RHS of the rightmost ctrl to the parent dialog so that when I resize the dialog, the listctrl expands. Note that I don't explicitly create the listctrls - this ia all behind the scene. I only send an initial message to each: m_ConfCtrlList.SendMessage(LVM_SETEXTENDEDLISTVIEWSTYLE,0, LVS_EX_FULLROWSELECT|LVS_REPORT|LVS_EX_GRIDLINES ); Thanks, Ihor VC++ doesn't not...

Money and Windows Mobile 5.0 Devices
I've got a new Windows Mobile 5.0 device and have found that the PPC Money client for Money 2005 will not sync to it. From http://www.microsoft.com/money/MoneyForHandHeldDevices.mspx it appears Money 2004-6 will not sync but it doesn't mention anything about Money 2007...but I can't find a Windows Mobile Client for 2007. Is there anyway to get any version of Money to sync to a Windows Mobile 5.0 device? Thanks, Don Not at present, except by using third party software such as SPB Finance/ -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org See http://money.mvps.or...