Windows 7 checked HAL source file

I went through the following page about installing just checked build OS and
HAL for Windows 7, as it stated for Vista and later
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc835892.aspx

I cant find HAL SourceFileName from "%SystemRoot%\Inf\setuppapi.dev.log"
file as hal.dll is not available

I had halacpi.dll and halmacpi.dll file available in WDK i386 debug
directory, these file names are not present on the log file(!)

I just went on and used halmacpi.dll file as the HAL source file (as my
target system is multiprocessor) and updated the boot entry as well, as less
expected the system failed to boot and gone for a system repair

I tried the other hal file also, the results are the same

How to get the correct HAL source file for Windows 7?

Have you tried in explorer right clicking hal.dll and choosing properties,
then under the version tab checking original file name?  I've done this ons
systems through Vista, but not on Win7 to get the name?

--
Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting

"Sethu" <Sethu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I went through the following page about installing just checked build OS
>and
> HAL for Windows 7, as it stated for Vista and later
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc835892.aspx
>
> I cant find HAL SourceFileName from "%SystemRoot%\Inf\setuppapi.dev.log"
> file as hal.dll is not available
>
> I had halacpi.dll and halmacpi.dll file available in WDK i386 debug
> directory, these file names are not present on the log file(!)
>
> I just went on and used halmacpi.dll file as the HAL source file (as my
> target system is multiprocessor) and updated the boot entry as well, as
> less
> expected the system failed to boot and gone for a system repair
>
> I tried the other hal file also, the results are the same
>
> How to get the correct HAL source file for Windows 7?

> signature database 4715 (20091224) __________

> http://www.eset.com

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4715 (20091224) __________

http://www.eset.com

0
Don
12/24/2009 6:35:13 PM
    Am I wrong that Vista+ Windows has 1 and only 1 HAL (halmacpi)?

--=20
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP
maxim@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

"Don Burn" <burn@stopspam.windrvr.com> wrote in message =
> Have you tried in explorer right clicking hal.dll and choosing =
properties,=20
> then under the version tab checking original file name?  I've done =
this ons=20
> systems through Vista, but not on Win7 to get the name?
>=20
>=20
> --=20
> Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
> Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
> Website: http://www.windrvr.com
> Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr
> Remove StopSpam to reply
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> "Sethu" <Sethu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message=20
>>I went through the following page about installing just checked build =
OS=20
>>and
>> HAL for Windows 7, as it stated for Vista and later
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc835892.aspx
>>
>> I cant find HAL SourceFileName from =
"%SystemRoot%\Inf\setuppapi.dev.log"
>> file as hal.dll is not available
>>
>> I had halacpi.dll and halmacpi.dll file available in WDK i386 debug
>> directory, these file names are not present on the log file(!)
>>
>> I just went on and used halmacpi.dll file as the HAL source file (as =
my
>> target system is multiprocessor) and updated the boot entry as well, =
as=20
>> less
>> expected the system failed to boot and gone for a system repair
>>
>> I tried the other hal file also, the results are the same
>>
>> How to get the correct HAL source file for Windows 7?
>>
>> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus=20
>> signature database 4715 (20091224) __________

>> http://www.eset.com
>>

>>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
> __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus =
signature database 4715 (20091224) __________
>=20
>=20
> http://www.eset.com
>=20
>=20
>=20

0
Maxim
12/25/2009 10:23:48 AM
Did you also use the checked kernel? The kernel and HAL need to match, so
they either need to both be free or both be checked.

-scott

--
Scott Noone
Consulting Associate

"Sethu" <Sethu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I went through the following page about installing just checked build OS
> and
> HAL for Windows 7, as it stated for Vista and later
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc835892.aspx
>
> I cant find HAL SourceFileName from "%SystemRoot%\Inf\setuppapi.dev.log"
> file as hal.dll is not available
>
> I had halacpi.dll and halmacpi.dll file available in WDK i386 debug
> directory, these file names are not present on the log file(!)
>
> I just went on and used halmacpi.dll file as the HAL source file (as my
> target system is multiprocessor) and updated the boot entry as well, as
> less
> expected the system failed to boot and gone for a system repair
>
> I tried the other hal file also, the results are the same
>
> How to get the correct HAL source file for Windows 7?

0
Scott
12/27/2009 12:58:00 PM
I checked the halmacpi.dll version (6.1.7600.16385) and original file name
(same name).

If halmacpi.dll is the HAL file for the multiprocessor system then why it is
not logged in setuppapi.dev.log file?

Yeah Scott, I used kernel and HAL files together

I followed the same procedure in Vista SP1 x86 PC (dual boot)

1. Searched hal.dll in setuppapi.dev.log file and found HAL source file name
(halmacpi.dll)
2. Got the kernel file name by running 'lmv mnt' command in the attached
debugger
3. Renamed halmacpi.dll and ntkrpamp.exe file from WDK debug directory to
halmacpi.chk and ntkrpamp.chk resp
4. Copied both the files to %SystemRoot%\system32 folder
5. Modified kernel and HAL boot entries as specified (bcdedit /set {ID}
kernel ntkrpamp.chk) (bcdedit /set {ID} hal halmacpi.chk)

During the next boot I am getting PSHED.dll file missing or corrupted with
status code 0xC0000098

I even reset system file protection in registry before copying the files
(HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows NT\Windows File
Protection\SFCDisable (REG_DWORD) 2)

If I went for system repair with boot disk, HAL and kernel checked files are
removed and system boots properly with HAL and kernel boot entry options
present

How to solve this to get checked build for Vista and 7?
Please post your comments
> 1. Searched hal.dll in setuppapi.dev.log file and found HAL source =
file name=20
> (halmacpi.dll)

You can also compare the installed HAL with all hal*.dll files in the =
distro.

> 2. Got the kernel file name by running 'lmv mnt' command in the =
attached=20
> debugger
> 3. Renamed halmacpi.dll and ntkrpamp.exe file from WDK debug directory =
to=20
> halmacpi.chk and ntkrpamp.chk resp
> 4. Copied both the files to %SystemRoot%\system32 folder
> 5. Modified kernel and HAL boot entries as specified (bcdedit /set =
{ID}=20
> kernel ntkrpamp.chk) (bcdedit /set {ID} hal halmacpi.chk)

Correct. This works fine for me for 2008 R2 x64 (the only OS where I use =
the checked kernel).

--=20
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP
maxim@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

0
Maxim
12/28/2009 7:16:24 PM
Thanks Maxim for your post

I tried all the three HAL dll files, halmacpi.dll, halacpi.dll and hal.dll
(orginal file name halmacpi.dll), the results are the same

The errors may be different in Vista and 7, on Vista SP1 pshed.dll is
missing and on 7 it launches system repair utility

Please suggest where I can get more help on this
Have you booted with /debug and hooked a debugger up when the system fails
to boot? It could be something as simple as an ASSERT in the checked build
firing, which would cause instant death if you aren't booted with debugging
enabled.

-scott

--

> Thanks Maxim for your post
>
> I tried all the three HAL dll files, halmacpi.dll, halacpi.dll and hal.dll
> (orginal file name halmacpi.dll), the results are the same
>
> The errors may be different in Vista and 7, on Vista SP1 pshed.dll is
> missing and on 7 it launches system repair utility
>
> Please suggest where I can get more help on this

0
Scott
12/30/2009 5:02:41 PM
Still I am having this problem

Have you tried to hook up a debugger yet?

-scott

--

> Still I am having this problem

0
Scott
1/5/2010 2:45:06 PM
Yeah Scot. I already had the debugger attached through firewire cable

I guess the problem is happening before debugger attachment, that why no
exception is caught on debugger

In Win7 'Starting Windows' is appearing for few sec and going to system
repair after that, no error message

I am using the HAL checked binaries from WDK 7600.16385 for Win7

Since the document for Win7 is not complete I am bugging you (HAL source
file name not present in setuppapi.dev.log file)

Bummer, so the boot loader doesn't like it.

Here's the checklist that I follow when things don't work:

1) Both kernel and HAL are in \SystemRoot\System32

2) Both kernel and HAL have 8.3 names

3) Both kernel and HAL are checked

4) Switches in BCD/boot.ini are spelled correctly

5) Parameters to switches in BCD/boot.ini are spelled correctly

If that's all correct then I'm definitely stumped.

-scott

--

> Yeah Scot. I already had the debugger attached through firewire cable
>
> I guess the problem is happening before debugger attachment, that why no
> exception is caught on debugger
>
> In Win7 'Starting Windows' is appearing for few sec and going to system
> repair after that, no error message
>
> I am using the HAL checked binaries from WDK 7600.16385 for Win7
>
> Since the document for Win7 is not complete I am bugging you (HAL source
> file name not present in setuppapi.dev.log file)

0
Scott
1/6/2010 1:37:45 PM
> Bummer, so the boot loader doesn't like it.
>
> Here's the checklist that I follow when things don't work:

You can also try enabling boot debugging (bcdedit /set bootdebug on)
to see if that gives any additional clues.

--
Pavel Lebedinsky/Windows Fundamentals Test

Pavel
1/6/2010 6:12:54 PM
Hi Scott,

I got partial checked build working, there couple of problems lying

1. Although my system is multi-core (core 2 and Event ID 6009 as
Multiprocessor Free), I need ntkrnlpa.exe kernel file which is for
Uniprocessor PAE support

My big surprise is when I ran 'lmv mnt' through debugger it lists
ntkrpamp.exe as the kernel file loaded ?? but why it needs ntkrnlpa.exe file
instead?

2. This Uniprocessor kernel file is not available with WDK unlike
Multiprocessor file. I have to download and install checked build Win7 to get
this kernel file, which contradicts the need for going to partial checked
build

Thanks
Sethu
> 2. This Uniprocessor kernel file is not available with WDK unlike=20
> Multiprocessor file.=20

Am I wrong that the released Windows have no uniprocessor kernel since =
Vista?

--=20
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP
maxim@storagecraft.com
http://www.storagecraft.com

0
Maxim

Importing into Excel from a Text file
We have a text database of about 7,000 rings. It is in a fixed format. Unfortunately some where we have about 4 or five rings whose format is screwed up. We figured by importing to Excel, we should be able to find where the records are to fix them. But, we just can't get the following format to import into excel. If anyone can help us, we sure would appreciate it! Thank you Greg Gates www.ringdesigner.com Each record begins with Begin Product Each record endswith EndProduct a semicolin seperates each record Also there are para symbols at the end of every line Herer are a...

formula tu sum up to a number till 7
This is the data I have: 2 3 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 1 4 5 1 2 I want in column C to G cells to be filled till 7 starting to count from B and then starting again. Result I want: A B C D E F G 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 4 5 5 6 6 7 7 1 4 5 1 2 And so on... How can I do this... Thank you so much!!! I don't fully understand this. Why do you not show 2 as the starting value in column C? Why do you have a 1 after the 7? Is this the corresponding value from column B? Would C2 start with 4 and continue across until you next...

hyperlink to existing excel file
When I create a hyperlink to an existing excel file and then click on it, explorer opens to the folder that the file is in instead of the excel file opening. Just to test I pointed it to a word document and the doc file opened fine. How do I get a hyperlink to open the excel file? Thanks. Are you sure it isn't to the folder instead. Only way I can reproduce that is if I select the folder instead of the file when I create the hyperlink. As expected if I use a hyperlink to a particular file it will open.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "purplehaz" <software@for.me> wrote i...

Save for Web (.htm) file
I have two similarly structured XLS file. One file "A" is much longer...perhaps 2000 rows long...when saved as a htm file it is around 500KB. I take another XLS spreadsheet that looks like the same structure...rows and colums...only about 560 rows...when I save this as webpage .htm it ends up being 11.2MB. What the heck happened? How do I get it down in size. There is no apparent reason why a smaller file ends up being 11 time larger that the smaller file when saved! Thanks, --confused ...

Unable to open Windows XP
When I try to open my Virtual PC Windows XP on my Powerbook G4 it comes up with an error that Windows could not open successfully. I try to open it in safe mode and all of the other options available and it still comes up that I am unable to open Windows. Any ideas how to fix this or what the problem is? You'll probably get faster & more thorough assistance if you post to microsoft.public.mac.virtualpc But they'll need much more specific information about VPC & OS X versions, update levels, etc. HTH |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 9/19/07 11:55 PM, in article 11...

Outlook 2003, Relaying denied error, Windows XP
I seem to have a problem when Outlook 2003 is first opened that it will not allow an email with an attachment to be sent. A 'Relaying denied' error message comes up. If I send an email without attachment this works OK and triggers the Norton anit virus software to check email before sent. After this the problem seems to go away i.e. I can now send attachments. Any ideas on why this error occurrs ? Is there a setup feature I've missed ? Have you set up authentication to your outgoing server ("More Settings..." on your account page, go to the "Outgoing Server&qu...

point exchange to a different priv1.edb file
I have a snapshot of my priv1.edb file on a different drive. I know that exchange 2003 lets us me the priv1.edb file to a different location if the file isn't already there. Is there a way to have exchange point to a different priv1.edb and use it? On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 21:31:01 -0700, Han <Han@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > >I have a snapshot of my priv1.edb file on a different drive. I know that >exchange 2003 lets us me the priv1.edb file to a different location if the >file isn't already there. > >Is there a way to have exchange point to a differ...

Customer Source for Certified Partners (Not MBS)
Does anybody know if Microsoft Cerified Partners (not MBS) can Access Customer Source or Partner Source? If so how do we get a logon? ...

IF COUNTIF & COUNTA on Filtered Visible Cells #7
Hi Frank, Hope this will help. Correction to Last Posting: My Helper Column "U" increments one Row at a time and says: Check from Row above Current Row back to beginning of my "V" Range: i the Room was used previously give me the Last (MAX) time it was used b returning the relevant Row Number of the (text based) Group Nam (Executive, Trainees, Manager, Graphics, etc.) that used the Room Last The Helper Column "U" then passes this data to the Formula in Colum "T" - it checks for the criteria within the specified Range and doe the COUNT calculation us...

Check Number format
In Great Plains our checks were initially set up with 20 zeros. For some reason when running the Vendor check request report on some of the PC’s (on screen and to the printer) the entire check number does not show up so it was requested that we remove 8 of the leading zeros. I went into Cards>>Financial>>Checkbook and pulled up the appropriate checkbook and removed the leading zeros from Next Check Number and Next Deposit. When I print the report, the zeros are still visible. Am I changing the correct field or will this change not affect existing numbers in the report I...

Hyperlink Error
I have a hyperlink set-up for a netwrok file. It works fine, but when the file is copied the hyperlin chages to the folder that the file has been copied to. original link - L:\folder\folder\file Changes to - C:\file How can I get it to keep the original link? Justin ...

Publisher 97 #7
Somehow I am getting the message: "ASSERT File:Undialog.cpp Line 1396" when I try to open the program. When I acknowledge, it crashes. Tried reinstalling, with no effect whatsoever. Any ideas? The only reference I have ever found for this error is from ZoomText. If you have this product installed go here: http://www.aisquared.com/Support/Z7Updates.htm Otherwise it is a C++ extension. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com "Erik" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wro...

getting a single line from a file
I was wondering if someone could tell me how to read a single line from a text file. I tried using getline, but my MFC program does not recognize the getline function. Nor does it recognize <string> or <string.h> or using namespace std. So is there another function that I can use in MFC? Roger Take a look at the CStdioFile MFC class. -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "R.H." <roger.huggins@intermec.com> wrote in message news:e98o6IMmDHA.1764@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I was wondering if someone could tell me ho...

Skinning Windows Media Player
I use to have a skin on my WMP that was called QuickSilver. I liked that skin because it was compact and nice looking. Well I had to pretty much reformat my drive a few weeks ago and now I only have 2 skins for my media player. I downloaded the Rad skin and tried to apply it but it doesnt work. I am using WMP 11 and when I go to choose more skins it brings up the page and there isn't a restriction on which version I can use RAD on. I'm just wondering why its not working and if anyone knows where I can get the quicksilver skin I liked. On Thu, 24 Dec 2009 20:50:01 -...

Browser Problems in Windows XP
I am having problems getting Microsoft Explorer to work in installations of Windows XP. In some installations it works just fine and in some it will begin to go to the web site and then the window closes with no error. Has anyone experienced this problem before? I can log in with all the user accounts from any windows 98 computer using the same browser version. Thanks for any help. Eric Davison wrote: > I am having problems getting Microsoft Explorer to work in > installations of Windows XP. In some installations it > works just fine and in some it will begin to go to the ...

overwritten file
I have a client that overwrote an excel sheet. He did not have autorecovery on. Is there any way to recover this document? Sorry, no. -- John johnf202 at hotmail dot com "mark" <mark@mwts.cc> wrote in message news:4c7501c356ae$89ae8500$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have a client that overwrote an excel sheet. He did not > have autorecovery on. Is there any way to recover this > document? Backup file is pretty much his only option if one exists. Has he perhaps sent the file anywhere else that he can get a copy back from, or if so he could possibly still have a ...

File Size #4
Using Windows XP and Office 2007 Is there a reason that Publisher files keep growing in size? We have a weekly bulletin with some static information and some information that changes from week to week. On Monday, we open last week's publication, delete the no-longer-relavent text boxes and pictures, and add new text boxes and pictures for the current week. That has been our standard practice. I just noticed that the file size is increasing exponentially which leads me to believe that even though I delete things, there is still some sort of "ghost" material left in the...

Preventing Excel files from being moved or deleted
What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an Excel file on a network? This is more of an network operating system setting question. I would think putting the file on a share that the users only had readonly access would be enough. But this would mean that the users could still copy (not move) the file. And they wouldn't be able to update the workbook. bg500 wrote: > > What permissions setting is used to prevent users from moving or deleting an > Excel file on a network? -- Dave Peterson All explained in Start>Help and Support "p...

Windows Live ID Problems
I have been using Money 2006 for the last 2 years. Since the online updates stopped as of 9/1/08, I was prompted to download a new version. I downloaded and installed MS Money Plus 2008. When I attempt to log in using my Windows Live ID and password I get the following error: "The email address or password is incorrect. Please try again." I never had this problem with the older version. My Windows Live ID and password work fine on this website and when I go to the main passport website. I am using Windows XP Home Edition, and have been for the last 5+ years. I have re-...

Windows Easy Transfer won't load files?
I ran Windows Easy Transfer on my laptop with Windows 7 RC1 to save and move my profile data because Win 7 RC is shutting down. I am trying to install the Windows Easy Tranfer data to Windows Vista Business. Each time I try it won't read the file but keep asking for the drive with the data to be loaded. I tried a test by moving the the data (.MIG) files out of the folder I saved them to and put them in the root of the drive but that didn't help. I tried a test of copying the files to the root of C: and now it actually sees the file for the short test at home I trying in t...

publisher 97 won't import a file graph of acceptable quality.
To MSFT: Let me try this again. I have Pub 97 that I must use for writing a manual. I try to import a black and white graphic-a chart, in jpeg or gif or whatever,but the graphic is of such poor quality that it can not be used. This only happens in my Publisher program. I have tried to change the adapter accerleration reading, but it does not help. Does anyone else have this problem with the older version of Pub 97? Do you have this problem with later versions of Publisher? Any ideas are appeciated. Check your graphics filters. Might have some corruption going on. They are in a folder sim...

List of File Extensions
Is there a list somewhere that contains the file extensions used in Office 2003 applications? I need to backup files before re-installing my OS. These include files that store settings, customizations, macros, Outlook address books, etc. ...

Making Design Gallery Objects available to other files in publishe
Hello, I created some custom objects and saved them to the Design Gallery, and they did appear under My Objects. However, I saved the file and opened up a new one and to my shock My Objects was empty. I opened the earlier file where I created and saved the objects and they were still there. Does this mean that the Design Gallery if file-specific and not saved in a Publisher Application file for use in other .pub files? Perhaps that is the default setting that can be changed later. Please help me on this matter. Thank you in advance for your support. Alcide <Alcide@discussions.micr...

Automatic open locked excel file through access control
We know,Excel has prompt password to open it files. Is it possible to create a code that can supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we open the excel file through our access control in a form, the excel files can be opened automatically.But when the excel files opened from its default icon,it will prompt a password first. On Jul 10, 8:43 pm, "shiro" <s...@play.com> wrote: > We know,Excel has prompt password > to open it files. > Is it possible to create a code that can > supplies the excel prompt password?.So that when we > open the excel file throu...

Shortcut key for the Auto Sum, Max, Min, etc. window
I am trying to find the shortcut key(s) that lets me change the setting/functionality of the Auto Sum, Max, Min, etc. window in MS Excel. The window I am referring to is located in the bottom right hand corner of Excel, i.e. two places to the left of the NUM (displayed when Num Lock is on) window. Thank you for your help. James, I think you may be referring to the AutoCalculate feature which appears on the status bar when you have selected cells with values in them. By default it gives the sum of the cell values, but you can right click on the calculation in the status bar to change...