USB device name

How can we query the USB Device name that is assigned interactively by
users(e.g. any arbitrary name assigned by them,using 'rename' option through
GUI) ?

PRANAV KANT GAUR <PRANAVKANTGAUR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>How can we query the USB Device name that is assigned interactively by
>users(e.g. any arbitrary name assigned by them,using 'rename' option through
>GUI) ?

In which GUI is one able to assign an arbitrary name to a USB device?
--
Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

"Tim Roberts" wrote:

> PRANAV KANT GAUR <PRANAVKANTGAUR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >
> >How can we query the USB Device name that is assigned interactively by
> >users(e.g. any arbitrary name assigned by them,using 'rename' option through
> >GUI) ?
>
> In which GUI is one able to assign an arbitrary name to a USB device?
> --
> Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
> .
In Windows Explorer,when user right clicks on device icon and selects
'rename' option.
What you are actually renaming from Explorer depends on the device.  If it
is a USB storage device then what you are renaming is the file system volume
and so you'd need to query for the volume and get the name off that.  If it
is a portable device like a music player then you are actually renaming the
devnode and you can query the name from that.

-Mike

"PRANAV KANT GAUR" <PRANAVKANTGAUR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:A78A5E42-B500-4EC7-93B5-12211545F880@microsoft.com...

> "Tim Roberts" wrote:
>
>> PRANAV KANT GAUR <PRANAVKANTGAUR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> >
>> >How can we query the USB Device name that is assigned interactively by
>> >users(e.g. any arbitrary name assigned by them,using 'rename' option
>> >through
>> >GUI) ?
>>
>> In which GUI is one able to assign an arbitrary name to a USB device?
>> --
>> Tim Roberts, timr@probo.com
>> Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
>> .
> In Windows Explorer,when user right clicks on device icon and selects
> 'rename' option.

0
Mike

Is the value of Identity.Name accessable at client side?
I wonder if the value of Identity.Name is visible (any way) at the client side? So, it is safe to use the userID as cookie name? FormsAuthenticationTicket ticket = new FormsAuthenticationTicket(1, user.Id.ToString(), DateTime.Now, DateTime.Now.AddMinutes(30), false, "", FormsAuthentication.FormsCookiePath); System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Response.Cookies.Add(new HttpCookie(FormsAuthentication.FormsCookieName, FormsAuthentication.Encrypt(ticket))); Thanks! On Feb 26, 12:28=A0pm, "Arjen" <boah...@hotmail.com> wrote: > I wonder if the value of...

Making the date a part of the file name
Does anyone know if there is a way to make the date/time a part of the file name using symbolics (i.e filename_% date%.xls) instead of having to key it in manually? Try this code, it worked for me ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs ActiveSheet.Range("the cell number"), you will need to format the cell referenced to the date and time forma you want. Good luc -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

USB flashdrive not recognised
I have a laptop running Windows XP, a pc running Windows 7, and a USB flashdrive which works in the laptop. It worked at first in the pc, where I used it to back up files. Butt now I get an error message saying that Windows does not recognise the device. What can I do? Any advice would be appreciated. -- laurence withau laurence withau wrote: > I have a laptop running Windows XP, a pc running Windows 7, and a USB > flashdrive which works in the laptop. It worked at first in the pc, where I > used it to back up files. Butt now I get an error message saying that Windows ...

#Name? error
Hi guys, This may seem a very simple problem. I have some VBA code that returns information about a data set. When I call this function from a report, it works just fine. But when I call it from a form, I just get the #Name? message all the way down. Both form and report are in the same database file, and the VBA function is in a separate general module in the same file. I have tried changing the call so that the form simply calls the NZ function - still no lick, I just get #Name? Stephen Further info, I am using Access 2010 beta, and the databse is A03 format. The control ...

Device won't show
I've been trying to sync music onto my Mp3 player but, when connected, it does not appear on the Sync Pane. The device says it is connected and I have tried using different cords but I get the same result: nothing. I am not sure if it is a malfunction with the computer, the device, or Windows Media Player but I need help soon! Thanks! ...

POP on a windows mobile 5.0 device
I want to be able to send and receive email via pop on my windows mobile phone version 5. I can recieve but I cant send. i do the following mail.domain.com using ssl username and password enable outbound mail using same credentials. with no ssl and even using sll doesnt work. I tried it using outlook express and i get the same error message on outbound mail only. what do i need to do on exchange to allow me to send email out. my exchange server allows relaying with authenicated users. Any particular reason you are using POP instead of the builtin activesync (airsync)? Todd "...

Printing mailing labels with multiple recipient name records associated with a single address
I have been browsing this, and other Access groups, as well as some of the Microsoft KB articles, and while I find posts decribing similar objectives to mine, can't seem to find anything that specifically shows me how to solve my problem. I have a property management database which contains many related tables, including a table "Units" and a table "Tenants". Tenant records have a corresponding foreign key for the UnitID relating them to the Units table. A tenant can only be associated with one Unit record, but a Unit may be associated with many Tenant records. I need ...

How to change a profile name in Outlook
I have configured outlook. Now that everything is done I'd like to change the default profile name "Outlook" to something else. How can I rename it? Thanks, AJS AJS <newsgroup@sorga.com> wrote: > I have configured outlook. Now that everything is done I'd like to > change the default profile name "Outlook" to something else. How can > I rename it? You can't rename a profile, but you can copy it to a profile of another name and then delete the original. -- Brian Tillman Control Panel, Mail, Show Profiles, Set up a new profile and name it. ...

Name Display in Address Book
I think this is supposed to be an easy one but damned if I can figure it out.. The names in my contact list appear as last, first. I've checked each of the folders as needing to appear in my Address Book. However, when the names appear in the address book, they appear first last. Question: How do I get the names in the address book, which are fed by the contact names, to display in the last, first format? Thanks, Bill Posting your Outlook version is always helpful. Depending on your version and mail support mode of Outlook, you can sort the Outlook Address Book this way (chec...

Dynamic Named Range
I have the follwing formula to automatically update a graph (the date i across columns) =OFFSET(Consolidated!$A$121,0,1,1,COUNTA(Consolidated!$B$121:$IV$121)). The problem is that some of the cells contains, blanks and I can't see to make it include all of the information. What can I do to make this pull pulls in all columns even if there ar blanks? Thanks in advance. Michelll -- bountifulgrac ----------------------------------------------------------------------- bountifulgrace's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3323 View this thread: ht...

Some names could not be added to Contacts. The action could not b
Hi, I have a problem with several users on this. Basically, they are using Personal Address Book and set Outlook to keep their personal addresses in Personal Address Book. When they tried to add a distribution list from GAL, they have this error, "Some names could not be added to Contacts. The action could not be completed.". Any solution to this problem? Thanks. TJ <TJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a problem with several users on this. Basically, they are > using Personal Address Book and set Outlook to keep their personal > addresses in P...

Start up error message
We were running w98 computers with office 97 with no problems WE just switched to new computers running Win XP professional. WE loaded office 97. When we double-click a .xls file from windows explorer, Excel97 starts up automatically, but we always get the following message: "a document with the name ______ is already open. You canno open two documents with the same name ......." The file name is always the file we are trying to open Excel was completely closed prior to clicking the file in explorer This happens with all excel files ---- I suspected some sort of start-up option...

Macro code to remove the prompt "are you sure" when saving over same name
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C43C35.39C87BF0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Can anyone tell me what 'switches' I would need to save over the same = file name without prompting the user for confirmation when run from a = macro? ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs FileName:=3D"c:\Spreadsheets\myfile.xls", _ FileFormat:=3DxlNormal, Password:=3D"", WriteResPassword:=3D"", = _ ReadOnlyRecommended:=3DFalse, CreateBackup:=3DFalse TIA, AlanN...

printing name tags...
Is there a way I can print out name tag inserts with many different names on paper usually used for business cards? I need to prepare cards but each one will have a different name.....I would like to use the name tag insert size 3x2 listed in the Print Artist program I have but I could use the smaller business card paper. Thank you for any help you can pass along.... B. Ferrell ...

How to prevent UML Object Lifeline names from reverting to Object.
I have created a Visio file with (so far) four UML Sequence pages. While I'm working on a page and adding Object Lifeline elements, I can type in a name to replace the default names like Object1, Object2, etc. However, if I then create a new page and later go back to a previous page, my assigned names have disappeared and again been replaced with Object1, Object2, etc. I have turned off UML semantic error checking in the hope of preventing this anomaly, but it doesn't help. Can anyone tell me how to keep the names I enter in the Object Lifeline headings? Thanks Nick Piazza ...

Number of items listed in Name Box
Hi All, Does anybody know how you can increase the number of items that show in the drop down Name Box Field. Currently there are 7, but I am sure I have had it set up with more in the past. Thank you for any suggestions. K. I haven't seen a way to increase the number of items displayed at a given time in the name box drop down. It was increased to 30 from 7 in Excel 2003. -- Jim <vega953@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c29c587a-c78a-4885-81ba-5007e8f24557@v17g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... | Hi All, | Does anybody know how you can increase the number of items that show | in the...

Additional name is added in the TO:
When selecting a contact name in the Global address book by type int the TO: line the contact requested appears, but so does an additional contact name after hitting either the enter key or the tab key. Anyone have an idea why this would happen? Thank you for your help, Sandi Jett sjett@kwccpa.com ...

Column Name
I need a formula to return the column name of the second occurence of the heading "Q3 2007T". Thanks This User Defined function does what you want. Call it with, for example, =FIND2(A1:AZ1) Function find2(myrange) For Each mycell In myrange If mycell.Value = "Q3 2007T" Then mycount = mycount + 1 End If If mycount = 2 Then Set mc = mycell myaddress = mc.Address() Exit For End If Next If mycount < 2 Then find2 = "found " & mycount Else find2 = myaddress End If End Function New to VBA? See David ...

SMTP server won't accept email addresses with names in them.
I have configured an SMTP server on my server to act as a relay, but it dose not seem to accept names with spaces " ". Is there a checkbox to allow spaces in names or some way to enclose them in quotes ? Any help is appreciated. Sid. For domain space? Or are you traing to name your SMTP virtual server common name? "sid" wrote: > I have configured an SMTP server on my server to act as a relay, but it > dose not seem to accept names with spaces " ". > > Is there a checkbox to allow spaces in names or some way to enclose > them in quotes ? >...

Write Name of Report Query in Report Footer
Is it possible to programmatically write the name of the query the report is based on in a text box in the report footer. "Steve Stad" <SteveStad@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1B0F793-C14A-4101-AB45-807BE72A4A11@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to programmatically write the name of the query the report > is based on in a text box in the report footer. Place a text box on your report, and set its Control Source property to: =[Report].[RecordSource] -- Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia Tips for Access users...

file names in excel
When I try to name a file all I get saved is the first letter of the title I have entered. What is set wrong? Doesn't sound right. Show us the code that you use. -- HTH Bob Phillips "TonyB" <TonyB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BCC8463-39BE-40D2-84C4-44311DEE14FA@microsoft.com... > When I try to name a file all I get saved is the first letter of the title I > have entered. > > What is set wrong? WinXP? Check to see if Excel is running in Windows 95 compatibility mode. There was a post that said: When I disabled compatibility mode...

Split Names
Hello, everybody. This is my first post in an excel newsgroup. Here is the question: I have a "Name" column which lists individuals' First and Last names. Is it possible to split into two columns, FirstName and LastName? Thanks Hi, assume you have data in A1 so formulae is : =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1,1)) [[ Put this formulae in B1 for First Name]] =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1,1)) [[Put this formulae in C1 for Last Name]] Thnx Dushyant "Antonio" <Antonio@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CEEE7E72-02BD-435E-BAB...

Sorting names
I could not find an answer before posting so here an easy (at least on the surface) question. I have a user who created a column with 'lastname, firstname' format and now needs 'firstname lastname'. Short of retyping the entire column, is there an easier way? A formula perhaps? Thanks in advance. formatter For formulas and a downloadable workbook, see Chip Pearson's First/Last page at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/FirstLast.htm Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 16:14:34 -0700, "formatter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I c...

Autofill using sheet names
Looking for advice If I have the formula =Sheet1!A1 and I want to autofill the worksheet but change sheet1 to sheet2,sheet3,sheet4,sheet5 etc what is the best way to go about it? I have a workbook with >100 sheets and dont want to do it manually. thanks for your help matt I won't say this is the best way, but it is a way I would do it: First, a quick macro to return all the sheet names into cells A1 to Ax of the currently selected sheet. Sub GetSheetNames() Row = 1 For Each S in ActiveWorkbook.Sheets Range("A" & Row).Value = S.Name Row = Row + 1 Next End ...

unknown device
Ok, I'm now at the point where I can get the driver loaded but I'm still having a few problems. I get no errors during installation but I notice the device gets installed as "unknown device" and when I check properties for the device I get "No drivers are installed for this device." However, all the files I think should end up in the drivers directory do appear to have ended up there. If I disable the driver and then enable it it changes from "unknown device" to the correct name but still no drivers installed. So, what am I looking at? Er...