re: printer driver install on Windows 7 x64

I managed to get self-extracting exe to invoke the "Add Printer"
wizard by starting a 64-bit executable that calls rundll32 and
passes the "printui.dll,PrintUIEntry" command line.

Unfortunately, after the driver is installed, the Windows
"Program Compatibility Assistant" pops up a dialog box that
says "The program might not have installed correctly".

I did some research on MSDN regarding the PCA (Program compatibility
assistant) and I quote:

"The best option to exclude a program from PCA is to include, with the
program, an application manifest with run level (either Administrator or
as limited users) marking for UAC. This marking means the program is
tested to work under UAC (and Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008).
PCA checks for this manifest and will exclude the program."

So I added a program manifest for the self-extracting exe, with the
relevant parts being:

   <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
     <security>
       <requestedPrivileges>
         <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator"
uiAccess="false" />
       </requestedPrivileges>
     </security>
   </trustInfo>

This does not seem to affect the PCA at all. I still get the annoying
dialog box about the program not being installed correctly.

Any ideas?

Neal Bade
www.tharo.com
0
Neal

I assume you are seeing the first PCA dialog on this page?

After you change your manifest file, does the program automatically try to
elevate?  You might also try the same test by right clicking the program and
choosing "Run as administrator".

-Mike

"Neal Bade" <neal@tharo.com> wrote in message
> I managed to get self-extracting exe to invoke the "Add Printer"
> wizard by starting a 64-bit executable that calls rundll32 and
> passes the "printui.dll,PrintUIEntry" command line.
>
> Unfortunately, after the driver is installed, the Windows
> "Program Compatibility Assistant" pops up a dialog box that
> says "The program might not have installed correctly".
>
> I did some research on MSDN regarding the PCA (Program compatibility
> assistant) and I quote:
>
> "The best option to exclude a program from PCA is to include, with the
> program, an application manifest with run level (either Administrator or
> as limited users) marking for UAC. This marking means the program is
> tested to work under UAC (and Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008). PCA
> checks for this manifest and will exclude the program."
>
> So I added a program manifest for the self-extracting exe, with the
> relevant parts being:
>
>   <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
>     <security>
>       <requestedPrivileges>
>         <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator"
> uiAccess="false" />
>       </requestedPrivileges>
>     </security>
>   </trustInfo>
>
> This does not seem to affect the PCA at all. I still get the annoying
> dialog box about the program not being installed correctly.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Neal Bade
> www.tharo.com

0
Mike
2/11/2010 12:03:19 AM
Yes I do get the elevation prompt, either by running the exe with
the associated manifest, or by "run as administrator". in both cases
I still get the "program might not have installed correctly".

Neal

Mike [MSFT] wrote:
> I assume you are seeing the first PCA dialog on this page?
>
> After you change your manifest file, does the program automatically try
> to elevate?  You might also try the same test by right clicking the
> program and choosing "Run as administrator".
>
> -Mike
>
> "Neal Bade" <neal@tharo.com> wrote in message
>> I managed to get self-extracting exe to invoke the "Add Printer"
>> wizard by starting a 64-bit executable that calls rundll32 and
>> passes the "printui.dll,PrintUIEntry" command line.
>>
>> Unfortunately, after the driver is installed, the Windows
>> "Program Compatibility Assistant" pops up a dialog box that
>> says "The program might not have installed correctly".
>>
>> I did some research on MSDN regarding the PCA (Program compatibility
>> assistant) and I quote:
>>
>> "The best option to exclude a program from PCA is to include, with the
>> program, an application manifest with run level (either Administrator
>> or as limited users) marking for UAC. This marking means the program
>> is tested to work under UAC (and Windows Vista and Windows Server
>> 2008). PCA checks for this manifest and will exclude the program."
>>
>> So I added a program manifest for the self-extracting exe, with the
>> relevant parts being:
>>
>>   <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
>>     <security>
>>       <requestedPrivileges>
>>         <requestedExecutionLevel level="requireAdministrator"
>> uiAccess="false" />
>>       </requestedPrivileges>
>>     </security>
>>   </trustInfo>
>>
>> This does not seem to affect the PCA at all. I still get the annoying
>> dialog box about the program not being installed correctly.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Neal Bade
>> www.tharo.com

0
Neal

Re: 'Scrolling' bitmaps
"Giovanni Dicanio" <giovanniDOTdicanio@REMOVEMEgmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio news:... > I did this kind of things using DirectDraw. A final note: if I recall correctly, the DX7 SDK also offers examples of mixing DirectDraw and MFC. (However, I think that doing some web search will give interesting results for that.) Giovanni ...

.net 3 not being detected by CRM Desktop Client installer
Hi all, I have a Vista 64 bit Dell M1710 (out of the box), have been trying to install (any) version of the CRM3.0 desktop client. It always falls over at the same stage where it looks at what components need to be upgraded. it says that .net framework 1.1 must be installed 'missing (must be installed by user)' - The OS comes with .net3 and this is installed. What I have tried. * unistalled and reinstalled .net 3 from OS * tried installing previous version of .net (2) 64 x - got error during install that '.net is already installed as part of the operating system' Pleas...

Installing Outook 2003 over Exhange Server Based Client running Win2K Prof and Office 2000
My company just issued me a new notebook running running Win2K Prof and Office 2000 and is unwilling to let me have Office 2003 due to "cost and support issues". I am willing to purchase Office 2003 Professional and install it over Office 2000 running on Win2K. The mail store (.pst file) is on the Exchange Server and the Notebook has a technology known as SMS, which I take it is some sort of "Big Brother" software. To lessen the risk I will clone the notebook hard drive and then to my experiment. Are there any install impediments or issues associated w/doing this. Will the...

Windows 2008 Fax Servr
Hi, Hopefully someone can help me with this. I am trying to use the Windows 2008 Fax Server on a customers network but cannot get it to work on the client PC's (all Windows XP). It works fine from the server and I can receive and send faxes happily. On the PC I installed the console and then ran the wizard but it only wanted to add a modem, so I went into Printer and added the fax printer from the server (this was not shared origanally so I had to do it manually). Now I can open the console and see all the faxes but I cannot send faxes from the PC, I click on new fax ...

Outlook 2007 and Windows 7 64 bit SLOW download of mail
I've read most of the posts I can find related to the slowness of Outlook retrieving mail and I still can't resolve this. I have a POP account at Roadrunner. My normal downloads are very fast. Sending mail is fast. Receiving mail - I can watch the count of BYTES going up about 30 at a time... BYTES not KB not MB. THe typical fix I see doesn't appear to be valid in Win7 only Vista (the Autosize window or something like that). I thought I'd take a chance and try the Beta of Outlook 2010 and guess what? It;s still slow. Any thoughts? This is really a dog. Open...

windows xp
I tried to uninstall the program "logmein" but I am unable to do it neither from add/remove programs in control panel, nor by manually removing all folders after a search. I get a message "access denied" and "another version of the pogram is running" while there is no other version on the system. How do I get rid of the program? Thanks. R. Meron Microsoft's Help system has landed you in the wrong newsgroup: this one is for the database program Microsoft Access. Please use the dropdown box (the one that says "Access" by default) to select ...

Can't download hotmail messages after installing Explorer 7
I'm running Outlook 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP-2 and have not been able to download my Hotmail folders/messages since installing Internet Explorer (ver. 7.0.5730.11IS). Goes on a loop requesting username and password for the hotmail server. I have no problem accessing my Hotmail account via the long way Any comments/suggestions? Callaway <nospam@yahoo.com> wrote: > I'm running Outlook 2002 (10.4219.4219) SP-2 and have not been able to > download my Hotmail folders/messages since installing Internet > Explorer (ver. 7.0.5730.11IS). Goes on a loop requesting userna...

Reinstalling windows/office
I have Office 2007, and have insalled it on 3 computers, which is all it allows. If I erase everything, and reinstall Windows, will I be able to install Office again? Is there something that tells the Office program that this is the same computer, and that it's just being REinstalled? Presumably thats Office H&S since thats the only version licensed for 3 family PC's If thats the case the licence is for 3 working PC's, if neccessary use phone activation. There is no de-activation process "RoCa" <RoCa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Windows 2008 SBS and rebuilding the VSS writers?
Hello, I have a new HP ML350 G6 that is certified to run SBS 2008 and we have a problem when trying to get a backup. We are using a third party product that is backing up to the Internet Cloud and this product works in other sites without any issues. We have had the third party vendor troubleshoot the issue. The issue is that the Exchange Information Store service gets stopped when we are trying to do any kind of backup, even just a test backup of a few files. The third party vendor tells me that we need to rebuild the VSS writers on this server to fix the problem. I ha...

Messages not showing up in Properties window
I just converted a VC6 MFC app over to .NET and the Messages window is not showing anything when I click on a Dialog class in the class viewer. Some dialogs do show up, but I can't see anything that indicates why. MainFrm doesn't even show up. Has anyone seen this or know what causes it? Thanks, Steve I have seen that before. Click Solution view. Delete the ones that don't work and add them back into the project. Do that to both the .cpp and .h files Good Luck, Christopher J. Holland [!MVP] "SteveK" <asasd@asdfasdfsd.com> wrote in message news:el88qJiXEHA....

my outlook wont open and it says cannot open outlook window
please can you help as my computer wont open outlook but will open all other office systems Start Outlook with the resetnavpane switch; Start-> Run; outlook.exe /resetnavpane (note the space in the command) -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF619BC7-E7DB-4580-A8A6-E9E396BF8D80@microsoft.com....

CD/DVD can't "see" CDs after Windows Vista update (KB973917)
Ever since this update installed, my CD/DVD drive does not see any CD or DVD I put in the drive. I have looked for an updated driver and have the most recent driver. I have uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it, both with and without shutting down the laptop and starting it up again. Device Manager says the device is working properly, which it clearly isn't. I am wondering if I should uninstall the update. Lisa This sometimes happens Go into the Registry and search for Upper and Lower Filters. When found delete both of them. Close out and Save and then reboot. ...

Windows Update Failures
Running Windows XP Pro, SP3 and Office 2007 Ultimate. I have five updates that will not install. I am getting three different error codes. I have searched the web and this message board for a solution to no avail. I have tried installing each one individually, in groups (e.g. Office 2007 group and Windows XP group), as well as trying to install all five together. Regardless, I always get the same error codes on each of these. Below are the updates and the error codes received for each one. Appreciate any help to get over this issue. Windows XP - Microsoft .NET Framewo...

Re: Pub file to PDF (prior posts were re pdf995)
I want to thank the folks who reccommended primopdf. I worked with pdf995 for almost 3 months & finally gave up. Had to manually delete 14 files and 2 folders with Windows Explorer and clean up my registry with EasyCleaner after using Windows Control Panel 'Restore'. I now have primopdf downloaded and installed and my system looks clean. The primopdf writer did NOT replace my HP writer as pdf995 did. Maybe this one will work. I'm going to test it out now. Thanks, again. I really like PrimoPDF for ease of use. I use Acrobat to create my files but have tested Primo for ot...

Unloading NDIS IM Filter driver
I am using NDIS Intermidiate filter driver in my application. My application is successfully installing and uninstalling the driver Can anyone tell me How to unload NDIS IM filter Driver? Thanks for any guidance. Mark Smith dev.mark.smith@gmail.com > Can anyone tell me How to unload NDIS IM filter Driver? Via INetCfg API? --=20 Maxim S. Shatskih Windows DDK MVP maxim@storagecraft.com http://www.storagecraft.com On Aug 6, 11:44=A0am, "Maxim S. Shatskih" <ma...@storagecraft.com.no.spam> wrote: > > Can anyone tell me How to unload NDIS IM filt...

Windows Mail has stopped working
About a week ago. I sometimes catch it working, but mostly I get this message: Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'KT MAIL', Server: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F I haven't changed any settings, and have used this same account for years. Thanks for any help! -- karenlea Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com The error "unexpectedly terminated" is usually ...

trouble closing Windows Mail
I have been having a problem closing Windows mail. When I click on the red X it gives me a message to search for a solution becuase it has stopped working and restart. Then it works until I restart my computer. What can I do to stop this from happening every time. Also, does this wil internet explorer. There are a couple of things you can try, but since IE is also affected, the common problem may exist outside of Windows Mail. Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with Windows Mail over time. Make sure you have installed Vista's SP1 and SP2 update...

Windows Live Mail Message Rules
I have two installations of Windows 7 one 32 bit Home Premium and one 64 bit Ultimate. I want to copy the message rules from the 32 bit installation to the 64 bit installation. They are on different drives. I have already gotten the messages, folders and contacts which seemed simple emough but I can't find the message rules. Where are they and how do I copy them from my 32 bit installation to my 64 bit installation? Rules are stored in the Registry.... HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Rules If you are not adverse to working with the registry, you can e...

Install Beta over latest German version?
Hello, I really would like to test the new beta. Is it possible to install it over the current installed German version? Will I be able to install the final German version over this beta so I get back the German interface? Thanks & and best regards I have almost the same question - i originally had Windows7-ultimate English, then installed the German language pack, then installed Windows Live (and WLM which "thought automatically" that it should be German). Now i also wonder what actually happens if i install the beta. Or rather wait until Windows Update ...

DOS program needing to use net use for network printer
can't use DOS program because Windows XP Pro SP2 and Active Directory issue. Get system error 5. i have been told that i need to make a setting in my Windows 2003 server to allow the client cmd.exe or UNC to work. if i give the local user on the Windows XP computer administrator level access the net use commad works. i currently have the user setup as a power user. ...

Excel Re-calculation 2000 compared to 2003
My company has recently deployed MS Office 2003. The previously deployed version was Office 2000. One of our users has an 11MB financial workbook that contains lots of formula. Mostly of IF, SUMIF and SUM calculations. There are plenty of links between the 25 worksheets within the one workbook but no links to other workbooks. Entering data into the workbook using Excel 2000 is nearly instantaneous. However entering data into Excel 2003 takes about 15 seconds each time I press enter (or direction key) as the workbook recalculates each time. The settings for calculation are identical with cal...

SPB Finance on Windows Mobile 5.0
I recently purchased a Windows Mobole 5.0 phone and was extremely disspoointed to find out (after the fact) that Pocket Money does not work on WM5. So now I am considering other options. I ran across the program called SPB Finance. It supports both Windows Mobile 5.0 and all the recent versions of MS Money. Do any of you use SPB Finance on WM5? How does it compare to Pocket Money? Does it sync items well? Should I wait (a while) until a compatible version of Pocket Money comes out or buy SPB Finance? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Bryan SPB is worth a look, Bryan. -- Mich...

Help--Calendar Assistant won't install
My calendar won't print in the month view. I'm trying to install the assistant and get stuck when the message says "Outlook must be closed" It is closed, and I also checked the start-up menu. I've checked programs in the Control Panel and Calendar Printing Assistant isn't there. I'm using Visa, and Office 2007 Enterprise. Would appreciate help with this. Thank you. Sorry. Answered my own question. I finally after, say, 58 attempts to install this program, I opened Task Manager, and indeed, there were two OUTLOOK.EXE. files running in the backgro...

Cannot open attachments #7
When I receive an email from 1 particular contact I cannot open the attachment - the paper clip icon doesn't show up either ...

SP2 Broke My OWA Install ????? What the H***?
So we ran the sp2 install and everything seem to be working fine untill I got a call letting me know that someone could not use Web Access to check their email. So I am looking into it and find that I can check my web access with firefox but see no web page fluff. All buttons are empty. However links work and I can read text. If I use IE to connect I can basically see outline of the links at the left and top of the main inbox frame/page whatever. But none of the links work and i can not actually see the email messages like I do in firefox. Outlook users are having no problems with email. Th...