Non-Plug&Play driver installation

Hello there,

I have a device which is not plug-&-play, but more a virtual hardware. I can
install it using the Device-Manager --> Add legacy hardware, but I want to
install it programmatically, eg. the use of the function SetupCopyOEMInf for
plug-&-play devices.

can anybody help me with this?

Thanks in advance
KW

0
McKool

Is it a root enumerated device? If so, devcon is a good start (source and
binaries in the WDK), the "install" switch will create a new root enumerated
device and register your INF:

devcon install myinf.inf ROOT\MadeUpHardwareId

-scott

--
Scott Noone
Consulting Associate

"McKool" <k.wagner@peak-system.com> wrote in message
> Hello there,
>
> I have a device which is not plug-&-play, but more a virtual hardware. I
> can install it using the Device-Manager --> Add legacy hardware, but I
> want to install it programmatically, eg. the use of the function
> SetupCopyOEMInf for plug-&-play devices.
>
> can anybody help me with this?
>
> Thanks in advance
> KW

0
Scott
4/7/2010 11:37:23 AM
Hello Scott,

thanks for your replay. Yes, it is a root enumerated device.

I will check devcon src, thanks again...

Keneth.

"Scott Noone" <snoone@osr.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Is it a root enumerated device? If so, devcon is a good start (source and
> binaries in the WDK), the "install" switch will create a new root
> enumerated device and register your INF:
>
> devcon install myinf.inf ROOT\MadeUpHardwareId
>
> -scott
>
> --
> Scott Noone
> Consulting Associate
> OSR Open Systems Resources, Inc.
> http://www.osronline.com
>
> "McKool" <k.wagner@peak-system.com> wrote in message
>> Hello there,
>>
>> I have a device which is not plug-&-play, but more a virtual hardware. I
>> can install it using the Device-Manager --> Add legacy hardware, but I
>> want to install it programmatically, eg. the use of the function
>> SetupCopyOEMInf for plug-&-play devices.
>>
>> can anybody help me with this?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> KW

0
McKool

Vista Home WMP 11 Doesn't Play WMV However Win Movie Maker Does..W
When trying to play .wmv files on WMP 11 in Vista Home Baseic I get the notorious "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct." However I've tried playing the same .wmv files with Win Movie Maker and there is no problem at all. Is there a solution to this? Much Thanks!!! ...

opening non responsive word
After using the Microsoft Office 2007 program for a year it has suddenly become unresponsive. If it does start it will open then freeze and say 'not responding' or will not open a new document or any saved documents at all. I have tried changing the template normal.dotm to normal.dot and changing the HKEY to old options/ old data, in the hope it would create new data but it will not open saved documents. It only opens after winword.exe /a but is unresponsive to demands. I have also uninstalled the program then reinstalled and rebotted but nothing has helped. Is it Windows...

WMP Subtitles When Playing A File
When I Play an MPEG file is some of my other Media Players, sunch as BlazeDVD 5.1, subtitles are shown when I play the file. However, when I play the file in WMP 11.0, the subtitles are not shown. I know the subtitles are in the video stream because they show up in other players but why not WMP? Are you supposed to be able to turn the subtitles off and on? I have read on other forums that the subtitles are embedded in the video. But, how can that be? In one player they show up and another they don't. On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 11:09:01 -0800, Ray <Ray@discussions.microsoft.c...

WMP Opens up to the last played video
When I close Windows Media Player and re open it, the last played video is brought back up paused at the point when I closed Windows Media Player. Is there a way to disable this? no, and one must be very careful with this problem. "mavalent" <mavalent@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1460BD8C-4DB3-4213-9E98-BBDEC4951EF0@microsoft.com... > When I close Windows Media Player and re open it, the last played video is > brought back up paused at the point when I closed Windows Media Player. > Is > there a way to disable this? What...

interpolating non-linear curves in excel graphs
I'm generally quite happy with how excel graphs the moderately non-linear x-y data I supply it - the curves pass through all the data points with a pleasing fit. I'd just like to be able to get excel to interpolate on the graph for me. For instance, the curve passes through the points (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) which I supplied. How do I get excel to calculate and supply the value y3 from the point (x3, y3) on the curve it generated when I specify the value of x3? Assuming that the points (all three of them!) lie on a straight line y= mx + c Let's say your know x's are in A1:A...

Installing Exchange 2007 on Windows 2000 server
We have Windows 2000 SBS, we are thinking of upgrading to SBS 2003. We would also like to upgrade exchange to 2007. Will exchange 2007 install on Win 2000 SBS? Will it install on Win SBS 2003? Can you run exchange 2007 on a member server in SBS 2000 along side Exchange 2000? If so can you configure it to be the gateway and there for use its anti spam features? Exchange 2007 *REQUIRES* a 64 bit OS and must run on 64 bit hardware. There is no upgrade path from any version of Exchange to Exchange 2007. Regards, Hank Arnold Alan M wrote: > We have Windows 2000 SBS, we are thinking of...

Why does Excel 2000 stop working after installing Crystal Reports.
I installed Seagate Crystal Reports 9.0 to a user's laptop. The Crystal Reports works fine, as well as all other MS Office applications, except Excel 2000. A memory address error pops up when attempting to start Excel? Can anyone help? ...

WMP can't play MPEG-4 or M4V--need to convert? what to do?
i made videos on an i-mac using i-movie, and slide show with music using i-photo. Is there ANY WAY that WMP could play them??? Do these have to be converted-- and if so, kindly explain how. Many thanks! There's no need to convert them. Installing Haali's Media Splitter (aka MatroskaSplitter) - http://haali.su/mkv - and FFDShow - http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDshow.htm - should be enough for WMP to play MP4 and M4V files. Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www.bm-productions.tk into_blue wrote: > i made videos on an i-mac using i-movie, and slide show...

NDIS 6 LWF driver indicating packets
Hi, I have NDIS 6.0 packet modifying filter driver running on Windows 7 x64. It examines outgoing TCP traffic and sometimes has to return a packet being sent back to the protocol. For this purpose I make source/ destination address manipulations in cloned NBL and pass it to NdisFIndicateNetBufferLists function. The problem is that sometimes NDIS calls back my FilterReturnNetBufferLists function and sometimes does not which eventually leads to frozen connection. As far as I can see this happens only for "large" packets, at least 2 times longer than MTU but not for all of t...

Recording myself talk and have background music playing PPT 2007
Hello all, I need to record myself over a PPT but would like background music playing at a lower volume than me speaking. How can I do this with PPT 2007? Sincerely, Geo Record the narration using Slide Show | Record Narration. (I wouldn't use Rehearse Timings in conjunction with Record Narration.) Then add the music background to the presentation separately using Insert | Sound | Sound from File. I believe it will need to be an MP3, not a WAV, because your narrations will be WAVs. On the Sound Tools Options tab that appears when you select the sound icon on the sl...

Windows Installer Issue....
Hi All, A couple of weeks ago, one of our (under-protected) office PC's was infected by some sort malware or spyware (I wasn't involved in this process). Following it's removal with a new installation of Kaspersky anti-virus, Windows Installer wants to run whenever we launch certain applications. I've gone and shut-off Windows Installer globally by disabling it using the Group Policy Editor, but it(Windows Installer) still flashes up for a couple of seconds before going away. Is it possible to restore whatever was lost during the malware eradication to preven...

Send To Recipent as email attachment greyed-out, OE installed
The Send To Recipient (as attachment) is greyed-out as an option from the File submenu Outlook Express is installed mapi32.dll is in Windows\System32 Office XP Pro has been uninstalled and reinstalled AVG (Grisoft) is the antivirus program Same problem from other Office Programs Suggestions appreciated! Try number 2 on this page http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/problems.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "m3power" <m3power@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00B68C24-1029-4347-AF6F-11648F70D343@microsoft.com... > The Send To Recipient (...

lpp lpp lpp lpp after installing MS Office update
Yo, homies. I also got the Autoupdate, dutifully installed it, and went off to cook some stew. When I came back, Safari was open (I'd opened it already to check out the Update info from Microsoft), and there were a dozen copies of a file called "lpp" (just like the Unix lpp?) attempting to download. I deleted them from the download list quicker than you can say Jack Robinson. I did a search on 'lpp' afterwards and just found the normal files with that string in them. What the heck is up? I haven't been doing anything exotic enough to catch a virus, but neither c...

Application conflict w/Windows Installer
Hello All, We recently had a machine that had Windows reinstalled (XP Pro, SP3). It was done from an SP3 CD. All applications then reinstalled fine except one (Sage Timberline Office). The error said that Windows Installer was configured incorrectly. It would appear that this application is incompatible with the version of installer in SP3. I'm looking for a way to roll the version of Windows Installer back to 3.01. I don't see SP3 in the Add/Remove Programs dialogue box (Show Updates is checked). I imagine I can get it to work by doing another Windows reinstall f...

Cannot access Windows Installer
My Windows Installer has stopped functioning - cannot install or uninstall programs - I get a dialogue box message: "The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in Safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance". I have Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002, Service Pack 3. It's been operating OK for years, now this. I've had an Office validation issue, but it's now sorted. Also, on boot up I get a Windows Recovery message: "One of t...

Frx installation hangs
The local client installation hangs when the progress bar is basically 99% done. Can't find a KB that helps with this. I'm guessing it's failing to register some DLL or another and is hanging up, but it's hard to tell. has anyone seen this before? ...

Windows Installer loads every time I open Excel 2007
Hi all, I'm facing the following problem: when I open Excel 2007 the windows installer loads every time... is not going to give me any error, but it's something annoying... does anyone has any solution??? thanks Vit p.s. this happens also with other office 2007 applications Try clicking "Help" and then "Detect and Repair..." That worked for me when I had the same problem. ...

Money 2002 Error 1406 during installation
When trying to install Money 2002 Deluxe & Business I get "error 1406 - Could not write value Default Visible to key\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Extensions\{E023F504-0C5A-4750-A1E7-A9046DEA8A21}. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key, or contact support personnel." I have to abort the installation as the retry key won't allow me to continue. Any ideas how to install the money 2002 program without getting the error message? ...

problems installing outlook client: The Microsoft CRM Data File, M
Problem trying to install Microsoft CRM 3 Outlook desktop client on a PC running windows XP service Pack 2 and Outlook 2003 service Pack 2 connected to exchange. Originally downloaded ISO installation file from Microsoft downloads, and burnt CD. Installation failed, it seems the installation CD was corrupt. We then found our original installation CD, which when we installed it, it came up with two messages: - Microsoft Outlook was not initialized. Please run Outlook and configure your mail account. ---- Outlook is installed and running, there's no problem with this so I do not unde...

How do I plot non-numeric values in a graph in Excel?
I need to plot non-numeric values in a graph in Excel. Assume I have the following data... : X Axis Y Axis A L B M C N D O E P F Q G R I want such a graph R x Q x P x O x N x M x L x A ...

how to play two movies synchronously in one computer? (in direct x)
Hi, I need to play two films on a PC,both of them to be played quite synchronously. I have two IMediaControl, each for a film and I do start them just one after the other. But there is a delay between the two. the delay is different, maybe 1 ms maybe 15 ms. Is there any solution for a better timing ? thanks, Behzad thanks for your reply, most of the time 15 ms is not important, but when u have a moving object, 15 ms time difference is quite visible. I think it is because the frame rate, u may have 15 msec time difference, but it could be a frame forward, .... .and when u have a moving ...

Install Shield
Hi, i'm kind of new to the hole solving computer issues. i have installed Medieval 2 Total War Gold edition on my computer, but am not able to play it. I have tried to uninstall the game, but setup.exe suddenly closes before anything happens. As a result i am unable to uninstall the game. i have know idea what to do. PLEASE HELP! On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 11:35:02 -0800, Akge54 <Akge54@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, i'm kind of new to the hole solving computer issues. i have installed >Medieval 2 Total War Gold edition on my computer, but am not able ...

Certain SRS Reports Fail When MOSS Installed
We are running SP2 & AUG09 MS CU. We were just running with WSS, but then installed MOSS so we could use the more robust workflow. Since then are SRS reports that have an execute statement fail I posted the following on Developer stie about a week ago and got no responses. Just wondering anyone else run into this problem? We are running into errors with our SRS reports running in a test environment under MOSS. Reports that execute a stored procedure fail; those that don't are successful. One likely cause we have discovered is that our production environment has a dbo.MS...

installed PowerPoint text converter, but it does not operate
When received email and tried to open attachment, received message I needed to install PowerPoint's text converter. Googled and installed, but still receive same message that I need to install PowerPoint's text converter. Thanks, Ben This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_006D_01CAF983.8DFFE430 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Ben; I believe that you need to download the PowerPoint viewer. You can = do that here = http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=3D048...

Not able to install Microsoft Publisher 2000 on Win XP Pro
I have a customer who has Microsoft Publisher 2000. The part number is X05-26424 CD set# X05-33542. When running through the setup he is able to put in the CD key but when installing the componets it hangs. I noticed on the Microsoft site that Publisher 2000 requirements are Windows 95/98 & NT4. Does this means that he is not able to install it on XP? I already checked the other requirements as for memory and hard disk space and type of CPU he needs. He has all of the necessary requirements with the exception of Operating System type. Thanks in advance, Ause Sims After managi...