Newbie question: Getting checked builds of Windows XP

Where does one get checked builds of Windows XP?  I'd like to install just
the checked OS and HAL (per this article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff547196.aspx), but there's no
mention of where the checked versions of those files come from.  It seems
like this might be something one could get with an MSDN subscription, but
after nosing around msdn.microsoft.com, I couldn't find a definitive answer;
the MSDN download list for Windows XP
(https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/securedownloads/default.aspx)
shows checked builds for only a couple of editions (64 bit and Media Center).
 Is the checked build for, say, XP Pro SP3 included along with the free build
and it's just not mentioned?  Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Unfortunately, when Microsoft released XP SP2 as a merged release they
stopped shipping the older versions.  IIRC this was because the
disagreement with SUN on JAVA.   When they did this the messed up and did
not release the full checked build of XP SP2.   All you can do is a
partial checked (i.e. HAL and kernel, plus maybe a driver if you are
lucky) by getting the checked service pack see
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D811F258-C95F-479A-BDF1-0D1154D700A5&displaylang=en
and putting in those components that you need into a retail build.

Don Burn (MVP, Windows DKD)
Windows Filesystem and Driver Consulting
Website: http://www.windrvr.com
Blog: http://msmvps.com/blogs/WinDrvr

0
Don
6/10/2010 9:14:19 PM
Disregard my latest questions: I found that running the SP 3 installer with
the /? command line option extracts the files to a temporary directory w/o
actually installing them, so all is well.  Thanks!

Paul

Thanks for the fast response, Don.

> All you can do is a
> partial checked (i.e. HAL and kernel, plus maybe a driver if you are
> lucky) by getting the checked service pack see
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D811F258-C95F-479A-BDF1-0D1154D700A5&displaylang=en
> and putting in those components that you need into a retail build.

Well, a partial checked (HAL + kernel) would be better than nothing (and, in
fact, that would be quite sufficient for my needs).  But I can't simply
install the checked SP3 on a retail build, can I?  The checked SP3 is a
stand-alone executable, so I can't selectively grab the files that I need
(ntkrnl*.exe and hal*.dll) and put them in an alternate boot configuration.
Or am I missing something basic? (Sorry for asking such basic questions--as
the subject line said, I'm a complete noob to driver development).

Paul

asap utilities question
I have Msft. Excel Vsn 2002 and latest vsn. of ASAP Utilities. I used ASAP Utilities to merge single rows of data together so that more than one row will fit on a single line of text. My question now, is, is it possible using ASAP Utilities to separate the data that has been merged back into single rows of data? All information welcomed! Aaron ...

Isinteg Warning Message Question

Window Redirection?

Office XP media content?
I have Office 2003 Small Business edition and running Windows XP Home. Will my old Office XP Media Content disc install and work with Publisher 2003 (and the rest of Office 2003 Small Business Edition)? I installed the media content on my old Office XP setup and don't want to have to continually access the disc when I'm making up publications with the 2003 version. You can install the XP media disk, it will work fine with the 2003 Organizer. -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/ http://www.mvps.org/msauer/getting_started.htm news://msnews.microsoft.com &q...

Windows Server 2008 R2 04-09-10

Outlook 2003 with XP SP2

Getting the BCC field by default.

Dotfuscator question
Hello Everybody !!! When i create programm using C# i must understand that my programm from exe - module can be converted to the source file by Reflector. In Order do not allow do this i must use dotfuscator, but i did not find any free normal dotfuscator. May be someone tell me what can i do cause now as think we have interesting paradox. We 've got free technology but if we want to protect our products we must buy expensive commercial dotfuscators. Alex Dmitriev You should post this message in a newsgroup which discusses managed code. This newsgroup does not have much managed traff...

question on the rules wizard
When clikcing on the Rules Wizard, Outlook locks up - consistently. Has anyone got a remedy for this? Thank you, rich rpage@concerto.com ...

setpassword and xp styles?
Hello I have added manifest file and enabled xp styles in my application. Now, i have EDIT1 mapped to m_edt1 that have a password style. When the application runs, the password character shows as a nice graphical black dot. Now if i call: m_edt1.SetPasswordChar(0) in order to remove the password char. Then if I call setpasswordchar('*') the black dot char never returns... Any ideas how to swap between non password field to password field (with that nice black dot character) ? -- Elias "lallous" <lallous@lgwm.org> wrote in message news:OoraL8o9FHA.3592@TK2M...

Customer check data

OE questions
Ok, I have two questions: 1. With Thunderbird I can use this with a hotkey manager to compose a new message with Tbird "D:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird \thunderbird.exe -compose" -- how can I do the same for Outlook Express and Outlook 2003? 2. When I go to load Outlook Express I get this error message, followed by the error message below it: http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x296/gwar_1/Untitled-3.png how can I fix this and use Outlook Express? Thanks! posted to the outlookexpress newsgroup via crosspost --=20 Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Re...

question about Time

Getting rid of selection

Workplace Queues

why does my spell check not work?
My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? In what program / version "karen" <karen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DA8883BD-0958-4AB0-93FF-F43E4FB9D176@microsoft.com... > My spell check has never worked. What can I do to set it up? ...

Outlook 2000 running on XP
After setting up a mail account and indicating that I want all passwords remembered I constantly get promoted to enter a password when I send and/or receive mail. I have clicked remember password in all dialoges during the setup process and via the Properties dialog following the creation of the account. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatfully accepted Thanks "Ross Andrews" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1fb4801c45886$24eab500$a301280a@phx.gbl... > After setting up a mail account and indicating that I > want all passwords reme...

Word 2003: Will it work on Windows 7 Pro

HQ Licensing question V.2
I have a client running HQ client at 8 stores + HQ server at the warehouse. They would like to be able to use transfers from the warehouse to the stores, so I would have to setup a new PC running Store Ops and a new database, however, in order for the transfers to take place, I need a HQ Client License correct? Do I also need a POS key? I appreciate any insights you may have. Thanks in advance Hi Phil yes - you'll need an HQ Client license so it can exchange with your headquarters - "export" the wh database as you would any store from HQ no - you won't need a PO...

Get info from Fidelity
I use money's portfolio manager to retrieve info from my Fidelity accounts. However, it only retrieve stock and bond informations. It did not retrieve the money market fund information. How can I make it download money market fund info? In microsoft.public.money, Peter Tso wrote: >I use money's portfolio manager to retrieve info from my >Fidelity accounts. However, it only retrieve stock and >bond informations. It did not retrieve the money market >fund information. How can I make it download money market >fund info? Fidelity does things a differently th...