install more than one device with same driver

we use a simplified version of DevCon for installing a driver and it works
fine, but now we have multiple instances of the device, all controlled b y
the same driver (this is a serial port emulator). Say I need to install three
instances. When I run install.exe once for each instance, every time it finds
an already installed device, it repeats installing that, so in total we see 6
installs (1+2+3).
I must admit that most of what goes on in install is blackmagic to me. But
is it possible to call install once and have it install all 3 devices in one
run?

Thanks, Jan

"devcon install" calls "devcon update" which will force a driver install on
all devices that match the passed in hardware ID.  That is why you get 3
installs after creating the 3rd device.

One option is to change DevCon to create each device you want before calling
"devcon update".

Another option is to give each device a different hardware ID (and make sure
you add those hardware IDs to the INF you point at).

Another option is to not call "devcon update" from within "devcon install"
and instead call DiInstallDevice (or InstallSelectedDriver if the OS is
older than Vista).

-Mike

"jan" <jan@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> we use a simplified version of DevCon for installing a driver and it works
> fine, but now we have multiple instances of the device, all controlled b y
> the same driver (this is a serial port emulator). Say I need to install
> three
> instances. When I run install.exe once for each instance, every time it
> finds
> an already installed device, it repeats installing that, so in total we
> see 6
> installs (1+2+3).
> I must admit that most of what goes on in install is blackmagic to me. But
> is it possible to call install once and have it install all 3 devices in
> one
> run?
>
> Thanks, Jan

0
Mike
2/11/2010 2:50:18 AM
Hello Mike,

I finally got it to do what I wanted. The reason for my problem is that I
passed the generic hardware id to the installer, so it would reinstall all
devices with that hardware id. I changed it so it now passes the device
instance id of the new device. It works now.

Thanks for your help.
Regards, Jan

"Mike [MSFT]" wrote:

> "devcon install" calls "devcon update" which will force a driver install on
> all devices that match the passed in hardware ID.  That is why you get 3
> installs after creating the 3rd device.
>
> One option is to change DevCon to create each device you want before calling
> "devcon update".
>
> Another option is to give each device a different hardware ID (and make sure
> you add those hardware IDs to the INF you point at).
>
> Another option is to not call "devcon update" from within "devcon install"
> and instead call DiInstallDevice (or InstallSelectedDriver if the OS is
> older than Vista).
>
> -Mike
>
> "jan" <jan@nospam.nospam> wrote in message
> > we use a simplified version of DevCon for installing a driver and it works
> > fine, but now we have multiple instances of the device, all controlled b y
> > the same driver (this is a serial port emulator). Say I need to install
> > three
> > instances. When I run install.exe once for each instance, every time it
> > finds
> > an already installed device, it repeats installing that, so in total we
> > see 6
> > installs (1+2+3).
> > I must admit that most of what goes on in install is blackmagic to me. But
> > is it possible to call install once and have it install all 3 devices in
> > one
> > run?
> >
> > Thanks, Jan

GP 10.0 Fresh Installation
I am trying to install GP 10.0 Trial Version on my laptop. Once when I tried half-way through the installation I had to abort installation. Subsequently after uninstalling all the installed component I restarted installation. Pre-requisite component installation window appears and installs Dextrity components. Next when I try installation using Autorun.inf file I get error "Installation Failed". If I try invoking Setup.exe directly nothing happens. Can someone help me? Hi pvravindran If this is a French Canadian Installation, I would recommend you contact Strophe (www.strop...

Capital One Downloads (and other Yodlee Downloads) not working
I use MS Money to download transactions of Capital One and Bank of America credit cards. For the last 4 days, MS Money has been unable to download these transactions, and when I log into the "My Money" section of the MSN Money web site, I cannot download the transactions either. Both of these downloads are handled via the Yodlee service. Is this a known outage? Are others experiencing the same problem? Is there a solution? I've tried logging in and out of Passport, but the downloads continue to fail. Thanks, Reddog None of these are working for me today. I assume i...

Office:mac 2004 installation problem
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone out there can help me... Way back in March I bought a new MacBook, and with it a copy of Office:mac 2004 student & teacher edition. I installed my copy of Office straight away, but didn't realise I needed to uninstall the Trial edition first. Every time I opened anything in Office, both the REAL and TRIAL editions started up - which is obviously quite annoying - so I tried to uninstall the trial. However, the REAL Office then stopped working. Getting a bit fed up, I tried to completely remove all traces of Office and start again. However, when I tr...

Formatting four pages onto one 12x18 sheet
I'm trying to figure out how to format a 12 x 18 sheet with four individual 5.5 x 8.5 pages on it. Any ideas? The closest I can get is under page setup...selecting "postcards" and that will give me three pages per sheet, but I need four. Any ideas or thoughts are greatly appreciated. If your printer can be custom setup to 12 x 18 then you can divide it into four parts. Are you sure you aren't trying to setup a 11 x 17 landscaped sheet? In any event, setup your printer first. File, Page Setup, Advanced on the right, type 18 width, 12 height or 17 width, 11 ...

Validate almost one of two textbox
Hi, how can I validate a group of 2 textbox so the users have to populate at least one of them (or both)? Thanks in advance. Luis On Nov 27, 2:16=A0pm, Luigi <Lu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > how can I validate a group of 2 textbox so the users have to populate at > least one of them (or both)? > > Thanks in advance. > > Luis Use Javascript Function function jsValidateTextBoxGroup(sTxtBox1, sTxtBox2) { var bSuccess =3D true; var sTxtBox1Value =3D document.getElementById(sTxtBox1).value; var sTxtBox2Value =3D document.g...

44 R4I-SDHC.COM FIRMWARE DRIVERS
FIRMWARE DRIVERS CARTUCHOS DSI R4I-SDHC.COM CAJA ROJA - ULTIMA ACTUALIZACION. http://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_r4i-sdhc-com-nuevo-firmware-drivers-13b_1344437 sALUDOS cARLOS oWFU&w(oYOWUN>WvKA^tG,Af# ...

Installing 2006 premium on vaction house PC
Can i install 2006 premium in my vaction house PC? Will this creat a problem with my extensive investment portfolio? Thank you in advance for any assistance anyone can offer. It won't create a problem if you plan on moving your data file from machine to machine. A USB flash drive would probably be a great way to transport the file to and fro. "Fast Trader" <Fast Trader@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9D80F042-7703-4B0F-A97B-09E7669F853D@microsoft.com... > Can i install 2006 premium in my vaction house PC? Will this creat a > problem wi...

How do I look at two worksheets in one Excel workbook at same time
I know how to arrange windows to look at multiple workbooks. But I want to have two worksheets displayed at the same time from the same workbook. Is there a way to do that? Window - New Window this will create a second view of active workbook. Then you can do Window - Arrange, active workbook only. -- Best Regards, Luke M "PeoriaJean" <PeoriaJean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:503A1BB9-2130-4346-A0AF-A461388397B2@microsoft.com... >I know how to arrange windows to look at multiple workbooks. But I want to > have two worksheets di...

Project Accounting workstation install
After installing and registering PA on the server, do I have to run through the PA install on all of the workstations as well? If so, is there a way to mass install to all of them? or do I have to do it workstation by workstation? Hi, In GP10, PA objects initialization is invoked when you launch GP utilities after adding PA feature, this is one-off process for each company databases. However, you have to perform the GP-PA client installation process (adding PA feature) on each machine with GP 10, this will convert the chunk file (.CNK) to resource dictionaries associated wi...

Installment payments
Can CRM be used to invoice customers by installment? For example, we lease systems, how can I accomplish this in 3.0? Thanks! Jon CRM doesn't have functionality within it to handle payments in this manner. You could build the required processing via the SDK if you were ambitious though. -- Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM "Jon Poploskie" <jpoploskie@nospam.nospam> wrote in message news:uM$gguG9FHA.3804@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... Can CRM be used to invoice customers by installment? For example, we lease systems, how can I accomplish this in 3.0? Thanks! Jon You ...

One line is killing my program!
The following line works, where it specifies the first 4 characters of two area codes (403, and (587. .Range("C2:C" & q).FormulaR1C1 = _ "=MID(R[0]C[-2],INDEX(FIND({""(403"",""(587""},R[0]C[-2]),MATCH(TRUE,ISNUMBER(FIND({""(403"",""(587""},R[0]C[-2])),0)),14)" I need to substitute two variables - areaCode1 and areaCode2 to replace (403 and (587. I think I've done so, but the following doesn't work: .Range("C2:C" & q).FormulaR1C1 ...

Do I need Publisher installed to read/edit articles in an e-mail?
I will be receiving e-mails with attachments containing Publisher2002 created articles. Do I need to have Publisher 2002 or later editions in order to read and edit these e-mail articles? On Mon, 7 Nov 2005 22:20:03 +0000, quilter512 wrote (in article <E5DAA762-0ABA-49C2-8DDB-9A0D05162496@microsoft.com>): > I will be receiving e-mails with attachments containing Publisher2002 created > articles. Do I need to have Publisher 2002 or later editions in order to > read and edit these e-mail articles? You can answer your own question by STFW. You not heard of Google Grou...

grouping cells to sort by only one column
Hi, New to this so please bear with me. I have a spread sheet where I am listing names in column A and othe info relating to that name in columns B and C in the two rows below th name. I then start a different name in the next row down with the info in t two rows below that, and so forth. I want to be able to add more names in the future and be able to sor all of this by column A only. The problem I am having is the info i the other columns moves. I need it to somehow attatch and stay put wit it's corisponding name without moving. In other words how do I make everything from A1 to ...

copy and match data from one worksheet into another via script?
Hi all I have two worksheets 2 columns each The first sheet has ID and Name Column for example: Code ------------------- ID[/B] NAM 193948 Michael 684588 John 535279 Luke 098734 Matthe ------------------- my 2nd sheet Code ------------------- ID [B]NAM Michael John Luke Matthe ------------------- How do i use the first sheet to match up the names on the 2nd sheet and ultimately copy the ID numbers onto the 2nd sheet? This is just a simplified example. There are thousands of entries. Thank you if you have ...

How do I link many cells to one particular cell? #2
I am trying to link multiple cells to one particular cell and can't seem to do it. I want the multiple cells not just to have the same information but be connected to the same cell. I want multiple cells to take the information from ex. cell D4. So everytime i change cell D4 every cell that is linked to it changes. Do I have to input =D4 into every single cell that I want to link or is there an easy way to mass link? enter =$D$4 in one cell and copy it to the rest. The $ keeps the address from changing relatively. Are the cells on the same worksheet? If yes, you could select...

printer Installation
I am trying to load an Epsons SX515W wireless printer .the OS iam using is windows 7 .Dose anybody now if there are any drivers fro this yet -- regards On Fri, 8 Jan 2010 13:53:01 -0800, johnno <johnno@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am trying to load an Epsons SX515W wireless printer .the OS iam using is >windows 7 .Dose anybody now if there are any drivers fro this yet You're asking in the wrong place. The Microsoft webpage can be confusing and may have misled you; this group is for questions about the database software Microsoft Access. I'd co...

MS POS 1.0 Install error...
Im using XP PRO SP2 ..net 1.1 installed MS SQLServer installed When i try and install MS Point of Sale 1.0 , i get this error message at the end of the install, when it says "Installing and configuring database" ------Error Message------ System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception: The system cannot find the file specified at System.Diagnostics.Process.StartWithCreateProcess(ProcessStartInfo startInfo) at System.Diagnostics.Process.Start() at Microsoft.Rms.Installation.CustomActions.Utilities.OpenSqlPortInFirewall(String installPath, String portNumber, String& errorMessage...

What ODBC Driver for XL 2003?
Hi there, can anyone tell me if there are updated ODBC drivers for XL 2003? The reason that I ask is because when I set up a data source that points to an .XLS file, you can only select up to Excel 2000. When I view the spreadsheet in MS Query, some of the cells that contain data in the spreadsheet are blank. I don't know what installed MDAC and the drivers. Either SQL Server 2000, Visual Studio 6, VS .Net 2003 or MS Office 2003. The driver version is 4.00.6019.00. "Gorge Bush" wrote ... Unfortunate name. > can anyone tell me if there are updated ODBC ...

Installing eBanking
Hello, Has anyone had issues installing eBanking? I "successfully" installed directly from the GP disk to test in the Fabrikam company, but have get/change errors when attempting to use it in GP. It looks like a series of tables and stored procs need to be built in the company databases (e.g. ME_EFT_SETP/ME147204, ME_RM_EFT_MSTR/ME147214, etc), but I have not been able to find any documentation directing me to this install routine. Thanks, Dan "Dan" wrote: > Hello, > Has anyone had issues installing eBanking? > I "successfully" installed...

can I install outlook for my moto droid?
I bought a motorola droid phone and was told that there would be a way for me to sync my GoDaddy account to the phone via outlook, is this possible? "mgue79" <mgue79@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:201E7B3C-D222-4A78-8C2F-92F2C4ACCAF2@microsoft.com... >I bought a motorola droid phone and was told that there would be a way for me > to sync my GoDaddy account to the phone via outlook, is this possible? Whether or not you can sync with Outlook will be up to the sync software that came with the phone. -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...

Why Excel 2007 not responding after saving
I have reinstalled Excel 2007 (Office Home & Student) but it is worse. Now having problems even opening files. If I click on a cell it pauses for ages and then says it is not responding. Try looking for help here: http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-gb;8753#tab3 "Xandersmum" wrote: > I have reinstalled Excel 2007 (Office Home & Student) but it is worse. Now > having problems even opening files. If I click on a cell it pauses for ages > and then says it is not responding. ...

Multiple Installation Question
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3294564435_42315548 Content-type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1" Content-transfer-encoding: 8bit I participated in the free upgrade of MS Office 2008 from purchasing Mac Office 04.. I noticed when I received the software I was only given 1 Product Key... I�m getting ready to upgrade to a new iMac and was wondering if I was going to run into a problem installing the software on the new machine since I was only given 1 Key instead of the ...

RMS Installation
We recently acquired a new client (single location outdoor mercandizer) with an existing RMS installation. One of our first tasks was to install a new workstation and add RMS. Upon installation on the desktop, I can connect to the SQL database on the "server" with Store Operations Administrator, but NOTHING happens with Store Operations Manager except a dialogue box stating it can't hit the database. How do I point SOM to the database???? Thanks in advance for the help!!! Symmessooner in SO Administrator - File/Configuration Make sure you log into Windows as an admi...

WMP12
I'm trying to sync an audio book to a Coby MP725-4G. It is supposed to support WMDRM10. I can play the audio book under WMP12, and the usage rights indicate that I have 2 syncs to a portable device. The audio books can have a few hundred individual files. When I try to sync a file to the device, it works just fine. However, now all my files report that there is only 1 sync to portable devices left. If I sync another file, it also works, but now the files all report 0 syncs to portable device. From this point, obviously, I cannot sync anymore. I can listen to the 2 fil...

How to Install Tools on Other Nodes in a Cluster
I have a clustered SQL Server instance (Standard Edition) installed on a 2-node Windows 2003 x64 cluster. When it was originally set up, the tools (like SSMS) were only installed on the active node, which I understand is the normal way the installation works. Since then I have added SP2 and, later, SP3. I now want to put the tools onto the second node, but it won't let me. At the end of the Configuration Check, it has one warning message: "Edition Change Check: To change an existing instance of Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to a different edition of SQL Server 2005, you...