Able to DeleteDosDevice for a drive letter but can't flush FS cache without reead access on device.

Hello,

Is there anyway to dismount (flush any information about) a drive letter
when you don't have read or write access to the volume directly.

Background: I was able to setup the device and assign a drive to it so only
the limited user could access it via the drive letter.  That worked great
and no security issues with other users accessing/reading the raw device
while data was available.  However, dismounting is a problem.  I can't use
the LOCK/DISMOUNT FSCTL on the volume when opened with "0" permissions (I
have to have GENERIC_READ which fails unless I give the device object read
permissions to average users), if I ignore that and DeleteDosDevice that
works, however if I assign the drive letter again it retains the old cached
data (doesn't know it should have purged itself when DeleteDosDevice removed
the symlink).  Since I want this done via a limited account is there a way
to do it without giving read access to average users?  (not a huge deal but
I'm picky).

0
David

SetupDiOpenDeviceInfo
Hi, I'm trying to add device instances to a DeviceInfoSet using SetupDiOpenDeviceInfo(), but the DeviceInstanceId parameter is not accepting any wildcard characters in it. For example, I want to add all device instances with "USB\\MyVendorID\\*" or "USB\\MyVendorID\\0000" if 0000 could match anything perhaps, but the call fails with ERROR_NO_SUCH_DEVINST. My question is, how do I add all devices belonging to the logical group "USB\\MyVendorID" to the DeviceInfoSet? TIA, JY you need to wake the tree and look at each devnode to find a matc...

excel front end to access
Is there a way to use Excel as a front end to Access? I mean via a dynamic link similar to a linked table in Access rather than a simple import. I want to be able to have multiple users in multiple Excel workbooks change data in a worksheet and have the data updated in a single Access table. I know there are ways to use Excel as a front end to generate reports and even to modify, add, delete data from an Access table. But I don't think there's a dynamic way of doing the update. I believe any updating would require running a macro. I've toyed with this somewhat successfully u...

Access 97 to Access 2003 database conversion
Hi, We work in a mostly french environment. We have a standard image using MUI Microsoft products (XP and Office 2003 are MUI) Since the convertion of an ACCESS 97 BD into Access 2003, we experience a sort sequence problem when using: DoCmd.Openform or DoCmd.ApplyFilter A selection on a name like "Cot�" will return no record. Asking for "Cote" will return all records including "Cot�". I suspect a problem with MUI (multi-user interface) but I did not find any recommandation at Microsoft. Thanks. This may have to do with the collation order of the ne...

Multi access to single PST
I have a single Outlook 2007 pst placed on a group share, I need this to be accessable to eight seperate users all with individual mail accounts. A: is this possible B: if so what is the configuration on the security of the PST At this time when one person has access all others are refused with the error pst is in use. I've done it in the past, so it is possible. There's no way that I'm aware of for more than one user to be able to access it at the same time. "Cottham" <Cottham@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D733C6DA-D2D1-447A-9...

Unable to Access Reports from CRM Interface
We have deployed Microsoft CRM, but there is problem that the reports cannot be accessed by using Microsoft CRM interface from client's machine. There is no problem accessing the report in local server, it can be shown correctly from CRM interface, if it's accessed in the CRM server/database server. There are two servers, one for CRM application and the other for database+report server. User can access the Report Manager interface from their local machine (http://dbserver/reports). Anyone has idea, what is the possible error? Thanks. there is a white paper that requires additional ...

Install Outlook 2002 Security Patch Without Office XP Installed?
We have a situation where a system has Office 2000 installed, but Outlook 2002 has been installed in place of Outlook 2000. There are some security patches for Outlook 2002 from 2006 that need to be installed, but according to the KB articles the security patches require that Office XP be installed. Downloading the patches and installing says that they are installed but inspection of the DLLs that should have been updated shows that they were not updated. Any suggestions on how the security patches can be applied without Office XP being installed? Upgrading to Office XP/2003 or lat...

Accessing base class operators
Hi, I have a class :- class CTimeCode : public CTime { ... blah ... void SetTime( const CString &csWeirdDateFormat ) ; } Then function void CTimeCode::SetTime( const CString &csWeirdDateFormat ) { .. convert string to integer year, month, .. day, etc and try to save in base class CTime (WotGoesHere?) = CTime( Year, Month, Day ...... ) ; } You guessed it, what do I type in place of (WotGoesHere?) ???? My guess was it'd be "this" or "*this" but nope :-( TTFN, Jon Use this: CTime::operator=(CTime(2003, 10, 14, 12, 12, 12)); >...

Is it possible to just completly Delegate Access to a Users Outlook box
Hello I have a number of Outlook profiles which need to be completly deligated, the normal way is to right click on the folder in questions and go to permissons and assign the person and which level of permisson etc. I understand this need so to be done for EVERY folder, some of the users I will be working on have MANY folders and I would like to know. Is there a way to just deligate the intire "inbox" and included all subfolders, Ie: the intire profile/email profile, I have a lot of work and would like to save the three or four hours I will have ahead of me unless I have ...

Veritas 9.1 restore without Agent
Hello, I do not have the Veritas Exchange Backup Agent module nor the Advanced Open File option installed on my domain (2 DCs / AD / Win2K). I was wondering if I can still do a full restore of Exchange 2000 in case of a full disaster recovery (clean install of MS Small Business Server 2K)? Please explain any limitations. Thank you in advance, Rocky You can't do an online backup of Exchange with Veritas unless you have the agent....get the agent. Re the open file agent - a lot of opinions on that one. However, even if you get and use it, you shouldn't try to use it to back up Exc...

Help!! Access Database Question
I am trying to make a database for an office that will help to organize many resumes. I would like the database to be able to sort through the employees information and help me find resumes that match what I am looking for. For example, the database will include how long each employee has worked with the company. I would like to be able to search employees that have worked with the company for 25 years and have Access pull up those resumes. Is this even possible in Access? Any help would be great! Please email me @ csnow2@mail.csuchico.edu, I check that email more frequently. CSNOW wro...

Outlook 2003, Cache Mode, Forms
Environment a) Outlook 2003 & Exchange 2003 b) Outlook XP & Exchange 5.5 I have a customized form (not published on the server, but downloadable from the Intranet). As long as I send the form around within ONE environment (a or b) everything works quite ok. But as soon as I send the form from a) to b) or from b) to a) I lose almost all information of the form, only the mail body of the form 'stays alive'. Does anybody know help? ...

Serial Communication How to get the baud rate of the device connected
Dear friends, this question could be stupid ....but intresting !!!!!!!!!!!!! the query is -----> i have few devices all of them use the same communication protocol(custom made not standard one). but connect at different baud rate now the problem is that i dont know the device connected at which baud rate so how can i know the baud rate of the device connected at serial port....................... again different explation----->>>> there is only one application which intrect with different devices at different baud rate but same communication protocol so how can i open the port...

USB mass storage device asynchronous file change notification
Hello, A challenge: I have a (RAM) disk, which is exposed as a USB mass storage device. Therefore, the desktop computer accesses my disk as a SCSI block device. Also, I mounted the same disk using the FATFS and I can see files under WinCE, which have been just copied over USB from the desktop. So far, so good. Now: if I create a file under WinCE, the desktop computer does not notice and I can wait forever. When I unplug and plug-in the USB again, I can see the file created before under WinCE. Is there a sort of SCSI asynchronous file change notification? If so, is there any exam...

Windows ME won't recognize slave drive
I installed a second 8 Gb drive into a HP Pavillion that has Windows ME. Primary drive is 60 Gb and Fat32. Windows doesn't see the second drive. I tried both cable select and slave. The second drive may have XP on it. Any ideas what I can do next? Thanks. "Mint" <chocolatemint77581@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:029ef223-b608-4ff2-ab8d-8e14cd61ccad@u34g2000yqu.googlegroups.com... >I installed a second 8 Gb drive into a HP Pavillion that has Windows > ME. > Primary drive is 60 Gb and Fat32. > > Windows doesn't see the second dri...

Hostable Web Core without IIS7 installed
Is it possible to use HWC without IIS7 installed? The blogs say no, and I have tried copying the inetsrv folder from an Windows 2008 IIS7 server onto the blank Windows 2008 Server, and it fails ..... Thanks, B ...

xp device not recognized for ext. usb hdd after virus removal
I'm running xp pro sp 3 and was surfing the web using firefox 3.6.6 & my antivirus (avira free) said it found a virus, and I had it remove it. A couple minutes later it found something again and I had it remove the threat. I ran microsoft security essentials and it started to scan my pc but I cancelled the scan and instead decided to reboot into safe mode and run malware bytes antimalware and did a full scan of my c: drive and it found and removed 4 threats. While still in safe mode, XP then detected a USB device as though I had just plugged one in (which I did not) - some...

Can I create Outlook Distribution List from Access database?
Is it possible to create a Distribution List from email addresses already stored in an Access database. I can send an email to each individual email address listed in the database, but would like to send the same email to several of the email addresses in one go. yes you can http://library.cortland.edu/tps/materials/distributionlistaccess.pdf Jan Main wrote: >Is it possible to create a Distribution List from email addresses already >stored in an Access database. >I can send an email to each individual email address listed in the database, >but would like to s...

File paths (UNC, mapped drives, etc.) in a client-server environment, how to?
Hi, I have an app that needs to run in a client-server environment. That is, the app (MFC native) is installed on multiple workstations and accesses a database on a 'server'. The app stores media file paths (video, audio, images, etc.) in the database. These files need to be played on any workstation running the app as well as on the server. In addition, I also have a Web app (asp.net 3.5) that needs to access the media files and display them in a Web page. The app was initially designed to work on a single computer. I need to make some changes so it could functi...

a program trying to access e-mail no timer displayed
Okay been playing with an issue that we have had while testing myob and email through outlook. Now I appreciate the issues and security implications behind why there is a dialog box stopping automated emailing. but what I have noticed is that on some OS installations we get the warning and an allow or deny option with an ability to allow acess for up to 10 mins. but an identical or similar setup will give the option to allow or deny, but will Not give us the option to allow a timer for up to 10 mins access. now I'm not going to get moyb to fix there stupid emailin met...

How can you change an Access datasheet column header height or wra
If you have a column in an Access datasheet where the name is larger than the data, it would be nice to be able to make the column header wrap or be able to resize the datasheet header row to display more than one line. "Bitsmith" <Bitsmith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote > If you have a column in an Access datasheet where the name is larger than > the > data, it would be nice to be able to make the column header wrap or be > able > to resize the datasheet header row to display more than one line. You don't have nearly the formatting capabilities in d...

Retrieving/Exporting cached email address in outlook express
Hello, A client of mine is trying to export all of their contacts from outlook express to whatever format. She can export all of her contact info, but she also wants all of the emails that she has cached in her system that are NOT contacts. Is there any way to do this? Thank you, Tom Tom Machado <tommahhh@hotmail.com> wrote: > A client of mine is trying to export all of their contacts from > outlook express to whatever format. She can export all of her contact > info, but she also wants all of the emails that she has cached in her > system that are NOT contacts. Is ther...

SVG export without SVGExtensions
Hi, Is there a way to export SVG without MS SvgExtensions? Id like to use my visio diagrams inside a docbook document, that is rendered to PDF. problem is: no renderer can handle the extensions... thx in advance, Sebastian ...

Access Permissions & RPC over HTTP
Hi! Must the normal domain user belong to any special group if they want to access to Exchange 2003 by using RPC over HTTP? If the user are only Domain Users group member they cannot access to Exchange 2003 by using RPC over HTTP in my enviorenment. Then there is an error message "Invalid bookmark". When I added them to Domain Admins group they can access without any problem. Best Regards Domain Users is sufficient providing someone didn't muck with ACLs. (e.g. Is Domain Users still in the Users group on the RPC Proxy server and Exchange. Does Users have the right to log...

Lost Data because cells become editable without request
It happened to me several times that I lost data because cell started to have a blinking cursor although it had not been clicked. will be glad to get your answer danny Any chance you hit the F2 key with that cell selected? jonasdan wrote: > > It happened to me several times that I lost data because > cell started to have a blinking cursor although it had not > been clicked. > will be glad to get your answer > danny -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

What is the issue with working with an Access DB in an on-line/off-line environment
Hi All I use an Access DB for my VB front-end and 95% of my users are laptops/desktops linking to a Domain/Win server/Active Directory setup. I currently have the Access DB and VB app located in the program folder of a PC, but as many users may use the same laptop/desktop as they login to their own specific user account I'm looking to move the access db to the user's My Docs folder (re-directed from the server with off-line access enabled on the laptops and disabled on the desktops) so that each user can run up the program, but actually connect to their data file (access db) v...