Unable to create Recovery Points on Hyper-V VMs

Hello,

We are in the process of testing DPM 2007 and have setup a test environment 
consisting of a DPM Server backing up a Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V host 
machine with 3 VMs also running Windows Server 2008 R2. We are also backing 
up the C:\ and System State of the Hyper-V machine in addition to backing up 
the 3 Virtual Machines all within a single protection group. 

We installed SP1, the Feature pack for DPM 2007 (KB949779) and the August 
28th Hotfix Rollup (KB970868). 

Prior to installing the Hotfix Rollup the backups were running correctly and 
we didn't have any problems with the backups of the virtual machines. After 
installing the Hotfix Rollup package our backups of the virtual machines 
started to fail with the following message: 

"Triggering synchronization on \Backup Using Child Partition 
Snapshot\BackupTestVM1 failed:
Error 52: The DPM service was unable to communicate with the protection 
agent on BACKUPTEST.
Error details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host 
(0x80072746)
Recommended action: Restart the DPM Replication Agent service on BACKUPTEST"

The backups of the system state and c:\ volumes are working correctly its 
only the backups of the 3 Hyper-V VMs that are failing. I can do a 
consistency check on the Hyper-V members, which succeed but once I try to 
create a recovery point it fails. 

When creating the recovery point I do see elevated disk I/O activity on the 
Hyper-V server and it runs for a few minutes but then fails. On the DPM 
console the status box for "Create a recovery point" does say "Transfering 
xxxx MB" initially but then fails.  There are no error messages being logged 
on either the server or the client. 

The two servers are connected over a 10Gbps WAN connection and both servers 
are connected to the network at 1Gbps. I did see some mention stating that 
network utilization could cause this error, but in this case network 
utilization is really minimal during the entire operation. The latency 
between the two servers is at 44ms and does not increase during the 
synchronizations.  


Thanks,
Eric


0
Utf
1/20/2010 5:43:02 PM
dataprotectionmanager 1083 articles. 0 followers. Follow

7 Replies
4085 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 38

Check the version of the Integration components on the VM's. If I remember 
correctly one of these two KB970867 or KB976542 updates the IC and you have 
to manually upgrade on every VM. 

Also, check this  
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd43089(WS.10).aspx  it has all 
the Hyper-V hotfixes and make sure they are applied


"ewchen" wrote:

> Hello,
> 
> We are in the process of testing DPM 2007 and have setup a test environment 
> consisting of a DPM Server backing up a Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V host 
> machine with 3 VMs also running Windows Server 2008 R2. We are also backing 
> up the C:\ and System State of the Hyper-V machine in addition to backing up 
> the 3 Virtual Machines all within a single protection group. 
> 
> We installed SP1, the Feature pack for DPM 2007 (KB949779) and the August 
> 28th Hotfix Rollup (KB970868). 
> 
> Prior to installing the Hotfix Rollup the backups were running correctly and 
> we didn't have any problems with the backups of the virtual machines. After 
> installing the Hotfix Rollup package our backups of the virtual machines 
> started to fail with the following message: 
> 
> "Triggering synchronization on \Backup Using Child Partition 
> Snapshot\BackupTestVM1 failed:
> Error 52: The DPM service was unable to communicate with the protection 
> agent on BACKUPTEST.
> Error details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host 
> (0x80072746)
> Recommended action: Restart the DPM Replication Agent service on BACKUPTEST"
> 
> The backups of the system state and c:\ volumes are working correctly its 
> only the backups of the 3 Hyper-V VMs that are failing. I can do a 
> consistency check on the Hyper-V members, which succeed but once I try to 
> create a recovery point it fails. 
> 
> When creating the recovery point I do see elevated disk I/O activity on the 
> Hyper-V server and it runs for a few minutes but then fails. On the DPM 
> console the status box for "Create a recovery point" does say "Transfering 
> xxxx MB" initially but then fails.  There are no error messages being logged 
> on either the server or the client. 
> 
> The two servers are connected over a 10Gbps WAN connection and both servers 
> are connected to the network at 1Gbps. I did see some mention stating that 
> network utilization could cause this error, but in this case network 
> utilization is really minimal during the entire operation. The latency 
> between the two servers is at 44ms and does not increase during the 
> synchronizations.  
> 
> 
> Thanks,
> Eric
> 
> 
0
Utf
1/20/2010 8:40:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, its greatly appretiated. 

I installed the newer rollup package and updated the agents but that didn't 
seem to help. Creating recovery points using express full backups are still 
failing.  Also the Hotfix referenced in KB 959962 that requires an update to 
the integration components on the child VMs appears to apply to Windows 
Server 2008 only and not to Windows 2008 Server R2. When I try to install the 
hotfix it says its not designed for this platform. 



"netman" wrote:

> Check the version of the Integration components on the VM's. If I remember 
> correctly one of these two KB970867 or KB976542 updates the IC and you have 
> to manually upgrade on every VM. 
> 
> Also, check this  
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd43089(WS.10).aspx  it has all 
> the Hyper-V hotfixes and make sure they are applied
> 
> 
> "ewchen" wrote:
> 
> > Hello,
> > 
> > We are in the process of testing DPM 2007 and have setup a test environment 
> > consisting of a DPM Server backing up a Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V host 
> > machine with 3 VMs also running Windows Server 2008 R2. We are also backing 
> > up the C:\ and System State of the Hyper-V machine in addition to backing up 
> > the 3 Virtual Machines all within a single protection group. 
> > 
> > We installed SP1, the Feature pack for DPM 2007 (KB949779) and the August 
> > 28th Hotfix Rollup (KB970868). 
> > 
> > Prior to installing the Hotfix Rollup the backups were running correctly and 
> > we didn't have any problems with the backups of the virtual machines. After 
> > installing the Hotfix Rollup package our backups of the virtual machines 
> > started to fail with the following message: 
> > 
> > "Triggering synchronization on \Backup Using Child Partition 
> > Snapshot\BackupTestVM1 failed:
> > Error 52: The DPM service was unable to communicate with the protection 
> > agent on BACKUPTEST.
> > Error details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host 
> > (0x80072746)
> > Recommended action: Restart the DPM Replication Agent service on BACKUPTEST"
> > 
> > The backups of the system state and c:\ volumes are working correctly its 
> > only the backups of the 3 Hyper-V VMs that are failing. I can do a 
> > consistency check on the Hyper-V members, which succeed but once I try to 
> > create a recovery point it fails. 
> > 
> > When creating the recovery point I do see elevated disk I/O activity on the 
> > Hyper-V server and it runs for a few minutes but then fails. On the DPM 
> > console the status box for "Create a recovery point" does say "Transfering 
> > xxxx MB" initially but then fails.  There are no error messages being logged 
> > on either the server or the client. 
> > 
> > The two servers are connected over a 10Gbps WAN connection and both servers 
> > are connected to the network at 1Gbps. I did see some mention stating that 
> > network utilization could cause this error, but in this case network 
> > utilization is really minimal during the entire operation. The latency 
> > between the two servers is at 44ms and does not increase during the 
> > synchronizations.  
> > 
> > 
> > Thanks,
> > Eric
> > 
> > 
0
Utf
1/20/2010 10:43:02 PM
i hope my solution helps, 
well once you install DPM, you must install the following KBs: (KB 970867, 
KB 968579, KB 963102, KB 954641, KB 949779, DPM SP1,DPM SP1 Hotfix KB 961502, 
KB 970867, KB070868), on the DPM server.

after that i recommend that you update the agent or re-install it .
i think everything regarding DPM will be solved.

Regarding the Hyper V server, you ought to  have storage on the host, 
install the following KBs: ( KB 950050,KB 956697, KB 958184, KB 959962, KB 
960038 )

hope you get your solution working

"ewchen" wrote:

> Thanks for the suggestions, its greatly appretiated. 
> 
> I installed the newer rollup package and updated the agents but that didn't 
> seem to help. Creating recovery points using express full backups are still 
> failing.  Also the Hotfix referenced in KB 959962 that requires an update to 
> the integration components on the child VMs appears to apply to Windows 
> Server 2008 only and not to Windows 2008 Server R2. When I try to install the 
> hotfix it says its not designed for this platform. 
> 
> 
> 
> "netman" wrote:
> 
> > Check the version of the Integration components on the VM's. If I remember 
> > correctly one of these two KB970867 or KB976542 updates the IC and you have 
> > to manually upgrade on every VM. 
> > 
> > Also, check this  
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd43089(WS.10).aspx  it has all 
> > the Hyper-V hotfixes and make sure they are applied
> > 
> > 
> > "ewchen" wrote:
> > 
> > > Hello,
> > > 
> > > We are in the process of testing DPM 2007 and have setup a test environment 
> > > consisting of a DPM Server backing up a Windows Server 2008 R2 Hyper-V host 
> > > machine with 3 VMs also running Windows Server 2008 R2. We are also backing 
> > > up the C:\ and System State of the Hyper-V machine in addition to backing up 
> > > the 3 Virtual Machines all within a single protection group. 
> > > 
> > > We installed SP1, the Feature pack for DPM 2007 (KB949779) and the August 
> > > 28th Hotfix Rollup (KB970868). 
> > > 
> > > Prior to installing the Hotfix Rollup the backups were running correctly and 
> > > we didn't have any problems with the backups of the virtual machines. After 
> > > installing the Hotfix Rollup package our backups of the virtual machines 
> > > started to fail with the following message: 
> > > 
> > > "Triggering synchronization on \Backup Using Child Partition 
> > > Snapshot\BackupTestVM1 failed:
> > > Error 52: The DPM service was unable to communicate with the protection 
> > > agent on BACKUPTEST.
> > > Error details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host 
> > > (0x80072746)
> > > Recommended action: Restart the DPM Replication Agent service on BACKUPTEST"
> > > 
> > > The backups of the system state and c:\ volumes are working correctly its 
> > > only the backups of the 3 Hyper-V VMs that are failing. I can do a 
> > > consistency check on the Hyper-V members, which succeed but once I try to 
> > > create a recovery point it fails. 
> > > 
> > > When creating the recovery point I do see elevated disk I/O activity on the 
> > > Hyper-V server and it runs for a few minutes but then fails. On the DPM 
> > > console the status box for "Create a recovery point" does say "Transfering 
> > > xxxx MB" initially but then fails.  There are no error messages being logged 
> > > on either the server or the client. 
> > > 
> > > The two servers are connected over a 10Gbps WAN connection and both servers 
> > > are connected to the network at 1Gbps. I did see some mention stating that 
> > > network utilization could cause this error, but in this case network 
> > > utilization is really minimal during the entire operation. The latency 
> > > between the two servers is at 44ms and does not increase during the 
> > > synchronizations.  
> > > 
> > > 
> > > Thanks,
> > > Eric
> > > 
> > > 
0
Utf
1/24/2010 2:33:01 PM
Hi,
There is a known issue with TCP offloading and Broadcom NICs. If your server 
has a Broadcom NIC, can you disable TCP offloading using the following 
steps, and retry the recovery point creation?
> run from command line  "netsh int tcp show global"
> If Chimnet Offload State is enabled, disable it with
> "netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled"

--
Narendran [MSFT]
This posting is provided as is, and confers no rights.

"Hazem.Bahgat" <HazemBahgat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:57303426-C4C2-4453-B4BD-CEBEB6C4B56D@microsoft.com...
> i hope my solution helps,
> well once you install DPM, you must install the following KBs: (KB 970867,
> KB 968579, KB 963102, KB 954641, KB 949779, DPM SP1,DPM SP1 Hotfix KB 
> 961502,
> KB 970867, KB070868), on the DPM server.
>
> after that i recommend that you update the agent or re-install it .
> i think everything regarding DPM will be solved.
>
> Regarding the Hyper V server, you ought to  have storage on the host,
> install the following KBs: ( KB 950050,KB 956697, KB 958184, KB 959962, KB
> 960038 )
>
> hope you get your solution working
>
> "ewchen" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the suggestions, its greatly appretiated.
>>
>> I installed the newer rollup package and updated the agents but that 
>> didn't
>> seem to help. Creating recovery points using express full backups are 
>> still
>> failing.  Also the Hotfix referenced in KB 959962 that requires an update 
>> to
>> the integration components on the child VMs appears to apply to Windows
>> Server 2008 only and not to Windows 2008 Server R2. When I try to install 
>> the
>> hotfix it says its not designed for this platform.
>>
>>
>>
>> "netman" wrote:
>>
>> > Check the version of the Integration components on the VM's. If I 
>> > remember
>> > correctly one of these two KB970867 or KB976542 updates the IC and you 
>> > have
>> > to manually upgrade on every VM.
>> >
>> > Also, check this
>> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd43089(WS.10).aspx  it has 
>> > all
>> > the Hyper-V hotfixes and make sure they are applied
>> >
>> >
>> > "ewchen" wrote:
>> >
>> > > Hello,
>> > >
>> > > We are in the process of testing DPM 2007 and have setup a test 
>> > > environment
>> > > consisting of a DPM Server backing up a Windows Server 2008 R2 
>> > > Hyper-V host
>> > > machine with 3 VMs also running Windows Server 2008 R2. We are also 
>> > > backing
>> > > up the C:\ and System State of the Hyper-V machine in addition to 
>> > > backing up
>> > > the 3 Virtual Machines all within a single protection group.
>> > >
>> > > We installed SP1, the Feature pack for DPM 2007 (KB949779) and the 
>> > > August
>> > > 28th Hotfix Rollup (KB970868).
>> > >
>> > > Prior to installing the Hotfix Rollup the backups were running 
>> > > correctly and
>> > > we didn't have any problems with the backups of the virtual machines. 
>> > > After
>> > > installing the Hotfix Rollup package our backups of the virtual 
>> > > machines
>> > > started to fail with the following message:
>> > >
>> > > "Triggering synchronization on \Backup Using Child Partition
>> > > Snapshot\BackupTestVM1 failed:
>> > > Error 52: The DPM service was unable to communicate with the 
>> > > protection
>> > > agent on BACKUPTEST.
>> > > Error details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the 
>> > > remote host
>> > > (0x80072746)
>> > > Recommended action: Restart the DPM Replication Agent service on 
>> > > BACKUPTEST"
>> > >
>> > > The backups of the system state and c:\ volumes are working correctly 
>> > > its
>> > > only the backups of the 3 Hyper-V VMs that are failing. I can do a
>> > > consistency check on the Hyper-V members, which succeed but once I 
>> > > try to
>> > > create a recovery point it fails.
>> > >
>> > > When creating the recovery point I do see elevated disk I/O activity 
>> > > on the
>> > > Hyper-V server and it runs for a few minutes but then fails. On the 
>> > > DPM
>> > > console the status box for "Create a recovery point" does say 
>> > > "Transfering
>> > > xxxx MB" initially but then fails.  There are no error messages being 
>> > > logged
>> > > on either the server or the client.
>> > >
>> > > The two servers are connected over a 10Gbps WAN connection and both 
>> > > servers
>> > > are connected to the network at 1Gbps. I did see some mention stating 
>> > > that
>> > > network utilization could cause this error, but in this case network
>> > > utilization is really minimal during the entire operation. The 
>> > > latency
>> > > between the two servers is at 44ms and does not increase during the
>> > > synchronizations.
>> > >
>> > >
>> > > Thanks,
>> > > Eric
>> > >
>> > > 
0
Narendran
1/25/2010 7:03:10 AM
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestions and help so far. We didn't have any Broadcom NICs 
but I tried disabling TCP Chimney on the machine regardless. Unfortuantely, 
this didn't work however and we are still getting the same error. I also 
tried reinstalling the DPM client but that didn't help either. The initial 
sync worked fine but creation of additional express full backups always fail.

Also is it correct that once I install KB976542 I won't need to reinstall 
the other hotfix rollups that are previous to it? So hotfix 
968579,963102,961502,970867,970868 from the list that Hazem posted are not 
necessary? Also 954641 is included in SP1, which I have installed. So right 
now for DPM I have 976542, 949779 and SP1 installed. 

On the windows server 2008 R2 side I do not belive 950050, 956697, 958184, 
959962 and 960038 are applicable to this edition of windows. 



"Narendran Gunasekaran[MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
> There is a known issue with TCP offloading and Broadcom NICs. If your server 
> has a Broadcom NIC, can you disable TCP offloading using the following 
> steps, and retry the recovery point creation?
> > run from command line  "netsh int tcp show global"
> > If Chimnet Offload State is enabled, disable it with
> > "netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled"
> 
> --
> Narendran [MSFT]
> This posting is provided as is, and confers no rights.
> 
> "Hazem.Bahgat" <HazemBahgat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:57303426-C4C2-4453-B4BD-CEBEB6C4B56D@microsoft.com...
> > i hope my solution helps,
> > well once you install DPM, you must install the following KBs: (KB 970867,
> > KB 968579, KB 963102, KB 954641, KB 949779, DPM SP1,DPM SP1 Hotfix KB 
> > 961502,
> > KB 970867, KB070868), on the DPM server.
> >
> > after that i recommend that you update the agent or re-install it .
> > i think everything regarding DPM will be solved.
> >
> > Regarding the Hyper V server, you ought to  have storage on the host,
> > install the following KBs: ( KB 950050,KB 956697, KB 958184, KB 959962, KB
> > 960038 )
> >
> > hope you get your solution working
> >
> > "ewchen" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for the suggestions, its greatly appretiated.
> >>
> >> I installed the newer rollup package and updated the agents but that 
> >> didn't
> >> seem to help. Creating recovery points using express full backups are 
> >> still
> >> failing.  Also the Hotfix referenced in KB 959962 that requires an update 
> >> to
> >> the integration components on the child VMs appears to apply to Windows
> >> Server 2008 only and not to Windows 2008 Server R2. When I try to install 
> >> the
> >> hotfix it says its not designed for this platform.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> "netman" wrote:
> >>
> >> > Check the version of the Integration components on the VM's. If I 
> >> > remember
> >> > correctly one of these two KB970867 or KB976542 updates the IC and you 
> >> > have
> >> > to manually upgrade on every VM.
> >> >
> >> > Also, check this
> >> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd43089(WS.10).aspx  it has 
> >> > all
> >> > the Hyper-V hotfixes and make sure they are applied
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > "ewchen" wrote:
> >> >
> >> > > Hello,
> >> > >
> >> > > We are in the process of testing DPM 2007 and have setup a test 
> >> > > environment
> >> > > consisting of a DPM Server backing up a Windows Server 2008 R2 
> >> > > Hyper-V host
> >> > > machine with 3 VMs also running Windows Server 2008 R2. We are also 
> >> > > backing
> >> > > up the C:\ and System State of the Hyper-V machine in addition to 
> >> > > backing up
> >> > > the 3 Virtual Machines all within a single protection group.
> >> > >
> >> > > We installed SP1, the Feature pack for DPM 2007 (KB949779) and the 
> >> > > August
> >> > > 28th Hotfix Rollup (KB970868).
> >> > >
> >> > > Prior to installing the Hotfix Rollup the backups were running 
> >> > > correctly and
> >> > > we didn't have any problems with the backups of the virtual machines. 
> >> > > After
> >> > > installing the Hotfix Rollup package our backups of the virtual 
> >> > > machines
> >> > > started to fail with the following message:
> >> > >
> >> > > "Triggering synchronization on \Backup Using Child Partition
> >> > > Snapshot\BackupTestVM1 failed:
> >> > > Error 52: The DPM service was unable to communicate with the 
> >> > > protection
> >> > > agent on BACKUPTEST.
> >> > > Error details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the 
> >> > > remote host
> >> > > (0x80072746)
> >> > > Recommended action: Restart the DPM Replication Agent service on 
> >> > > BACKUPTEST"
> >> > >
> >> > > The backups of the system state and c:\ volumes are working correctly 
> >> > > its
> >> > > only the backups of the 3 Hyper-V VMs that are failing. I can do a
> >> > > consistency check on the Hyper-V members, which succeed but once I 
> >> > > try to
> >> > > create a recovery point it fails.
> >> > >
> >> > > When creating the recovery point I do see elevated disk I/O activity 
> >> > > on the
> >> > > Hyper-V server and it runs for a few minutes but then fails. On the 
> >> > > DPM
> >> > > console the status box for "Create a recovery point" does say 
> >> > > "Transfering
> >> > > xxxx MB" initially but then fails.  There are no error messages being 
> >> > > logged
> >> > > on either the server or the client.
> >> > >
> >> > > The two servers are connected over a 10Gbps WAN connection and both 
> >> > > servers
> >> > > are connected to the network at 1Gbps. I did see some mention stating 
> >> > > that
> >> > > network utilization could cause this error, but in this case network
> >> > > utilization is really minimal during the entire operation. The 
> >> > > latency
> >> > > between the two servers is at 44ms and does not increase during the
> >> > > synchronizations.
> >> > >
> >> > >
> >> > > Thanks,
> >> > > Eric
> >> > >
> >> > > 
> .
> 
0
Utf
1/25/2010 11:44:12 PM
Hello,

Does anyone have any other suggestions? We've tried a bunch of things 
including reinstalling the client and none of them seem to help. 

Eric 

"ewchen" wrote:

> Hello,
> 
> Thanks for the suggestions and help so far. We didn't have any Broadcom NICs 
> but I tried disabling TCP Chimney on the machine regardless. Unfortuantely, 
> this didn't work however and we are still getting the same error. I also 
> tried reinstalling the DPM client but that didn't help either. The initial 
> sync worked fine but creation of additional express full backups always fail.
> 
> Also is it correct that once I install KB976542 I won't need to reinstall 
> the other hotfix rollups that are previous to it? So hotfix 
> 968579,963102,961502,970867,970868 from the list that Hazem posted are not 
> necessary? Also 954641 is included in SP1, which I have installed. So right 
> now for DPM I have 976542, 949779 and SP1 installed. 
> 
> On the windows server 2008 R2 side I do not belive 950050, 956697, 958184, 
> 959962 and 960038 are applicable to this edition of windows. 
> 
> 
> 
> "Narendran Gunasekaran[MSFT]" wrote:
> 
> > Hi,
> > There is a known issue with TCP offloading and Broadcom NICs. If your server 
> > has a Broadcom NIC, can you disable TCP offloading using the following 
> > steps, and retry the recovery point creation?
> > > run from command line  "netsh int tcp show global"
> > > If Chimnet Offload State is enabled, disable it with
> > > "netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled"
> > 
> > --
> > Narendran [MSFT]
> > This posting is provided as is, and confers no rights.
> > 
> > "Hazem.Bahgat" <HazemBahgat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> > news:57303426-C4C2-4453-B4BD-CEBEB6C4B56D@microsoft.com...
> > > i hope my solution helps,
> > > well once you install DPM, you must install the following KBs: (KB 970867,
> > > KB 968579, KB 963102, KB 954641, KB 949779, DPM SP1,DPM SP1 Hotfix KB 
> > > 961502,
> > > KB 970867, KB070868), on the DPM server.
> > >
> > > after that i recommend that you update the agent or re-install it .
> > > i think everything regarding DPM will be solved.
> > >
> > > Regarding the Hyper V server, you ought to  have storage on the host,
> > > install the following KBs: ( KB 950050,KB 956697, KB 958184, KB 959962, KB
> > > 960038 )
> > >
> > > hope you get your solution working
> > >
> > > "ewchen" wrote:
> > >
> > >> Thanks for the suggestions, its greatly appretiated.
> > >>
> > >> I installed the newer rollup package and updated the agents but that 
> > >> didn't
> > >> seem to help. Creating recovery points using express full backups are 
> > >> still
> > >> failing.  Also the Hotfix referenced in KB 959962 that requires an update 
> > >> to
> > >> the integration components on the child VMs appears to apply to Windows
> > >> Server 2008 only and not to Windows 2008 Server R2. When I try to install 
> > >> the
> > >> hotfix it says its not designed for this platform.
> > >>
> > >>
> > >>
> > >> "netman" wrote:
> > >>
> > >> > Check the version of the Integration components on the VM's. If I 
> > >> > remember
> > >> > correctly one of these two KB970867 or KB976542 updates the IC and you 
> > >> > have
> > >> > to manually upgrade on every VM.
> > >> >
> > >> > Also, check this
> > >> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd43089(WS.10).aspx  it has 
> > >> > all
> > >> > the Hyper-V hotfixes and make sure they are applied
> > >> >
> > >> >
> > >> > "ewchen" wrote:
> > >> >
> > >> > > Hello,
> > >> > >
> > >> > > We are in the process of testing DPM 2007 and have setup a test 
> > >> > > environment
> > >> > > consisting of a DPM Server backing up a Windows Server 2008 R2 
> > >> > > Hyper-V host
> > >> > > machine with 3 VMs also running Windows Server 2008 R2. We are also 
> > >> > > backing
> > >> > > up the C:\ and System State of the Hyper-V machine in addition to 
> > >> > > backing up
> > >> > > the 3 Virtual Machines all within a single protection group.
> > >> > >
> > >> > > We installed SP1, the Feature pack for DPM 2007 (KB949779) and the 
> > >> > > August
> > >> > > 28th Hotfix Rollup (KB970868).
> > >> > >
> > >> > > Prior to installing the Hotfix Rollup the backups were running 
> > >> > > correctly and
> > >> > > we didn't have any problems with the backups of the virtual machines. 
> > >> > > After
> > >> > > installing the Hotfix Rollup package our backups of the virtual 
> > >> > > machines
> > >> > > started to fail with the following message:
> > >> > >
> > >> > > "Triggering synchronization on \Backup Using Child Partition
> > >> > > Snapshot\BackupTestVM1 failed:
> > >> > > Error 52: The DPM service was unable to communicate with the 
> > >> > > protection
> > >> > > agent on BACKUPTEST.
> > >> > > Error details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the 
> > >> > > remote host
> > >> > > (0x80072746)
> > >> > > Recommended action: Restart the DPM Replication Agent service on 
> > >> > > BACKUPTEST"
> > >> > >
> > >> > > The backups of the system state and c:\ volumes are working correctly 
> > >> > > its
> > >> > > only the backups of the 3 Hyper-V VMs that are failing. I can do a
> > >> > > consistency check on the Hyper-V members, which succeed but once I 
> > >> > > try to
> > >> > > create a recovery point it fails.
> > >> > >
> > >> > > When creating the recovery point I do see elevated disk I/O activity 
> > >> > > on the
> > >> > > Hyper-V server and it runs for a few minutes but then fails. On the 
> > >> > > DPM
> > >> > > console the status box for "Create a recovery point" does say 
> > >> > > "Transfering
> > >> > > xxxx MB" initially but then fails.  There are no error messages being 
> > >> > > logged
> > >> > > on either the server or the client.
> > >> > >
> > >> > > The two servers are connected over a 10Gbps WAN connection and both 
> > >> > > servers
> > >> > > are connected to the network at 1Gbps. I did see some mention stating 
> > >> > > that
> > >> > > network utilization could cause this error, but in this case network
> > >> > > utilization is really minimal during the entire operation. The 
> > >> > > latency
> > >> > > between the two servers is at 44ms and does not increase during the
> > >> > > synchronizations.
> > >> > >
> > >> > >
> > >> > > Thanks,
> > >> > > Eric
> > >> > >
> > >> > > 
> > .
> > 
0
Utf
1/28/2010 6:55:02 PM
Please open a PSS support case with Microsoft for this issue.

 --
 Narendran [MSFT]
 This posting is provided as is, and confers no rights.


"ewchen" <ewchen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:A3D85BE2-9BC1-4436-9DD5-DF5EE85C2DFD@microsoft.com...
> Hello,
>
> Does anyone have any other suggestions? We've tried a bunch of things
> including reinstalling the client and none of them seem to help.
>
> Eric
>
> "ewchen" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Thanks for the suggestions and help so far. We didn't have any Broadcom 
>> NICs
>> but I tried disabling TCP Chimney on the machine regardless. 
>> Unfortuantely,
>> this didn't work however and we are still getting the same error. I also
>> tried reinstalling the DPM client but that didn't help either. The 
>> initial
>> sync worked fine but creation of additional express full backups always 
>> fail.
>>
>> Also is it correct that once I install KB976542 I won't need to reinstall
>> the other hotfix rollups that are previous to it? So hotfix
>> 968579,963102,961502,970867,970868 from the list that Hazem posted are 
>> not
>> necessary? Also 954641 is included in SP1, which I have installed. So 
>> right
>> now for DPM I have 976542, 949779 and SP1 installed.
>>
>> On the windows server 2008 R2 side I do not belive 950050, 956697, 
>> 958184,
>> 959962 and 960038 are applicable to this edition of windows.
>>
>>
>>
>> "Narendran Gunasekaran[MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > There is a known issue with TCP offloading and Broadcom NICs. If your 
>> > server
>> > has a Broadcom NIC, can you disable TCP offloading using the following
>> > steps, and retry the recovery point creation?
>> > > run from command line  "netsh int tcp show global"
>> > > If Chimnet Offload State is enabled, disable it with
>> > > "netsh int tcp set global chimney=disabled"
>> >
>> > --
>> > Narendran [MSFT]
>> > This posting is provided as is, and confers no rights.
>> >
>> > "Hazem.Bahgat" <HazemBahgat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > news:57303426-C4C2-4453-B4BD-CEBEB6C4B56D@microsoft.com...
>> > > i hope my solution helps,
>> > > well once you install DPM, you must install the following KBs: (KB 
>> > > 970867,
>> > > KB 968579, KB 963102, KB 954641, KB 949779, DPM SP1,DPM SP1 Hotfix KB
>> > > 961502,
>> > > KB 970867, KB070868), on the DPM server.
>> > >
>> > > after that i recommend that you update the agent or re-install it .
>> > > i think everything regarding DPM will be solved.
>> > >
>> > > Regarding the Hyper V server, you ought to  have storage on the host,
>> > > install the following KBs: ( KB 950050,KB 956697, KB 958184, KB 
>> > > 959962, KB
>> > > 960038 )
>> > >
>> > > hope you get your solution working
>> > >
>> > > "ewchen" wrote:
>> > >
>> > >> Thanks for the suggestions, its greatly appretiated.
>> > >>
>> > >> I installed the newer rollup package and updated the agents but that
>> > >> didn't
>> > >> seem to help. Creating recovery points using express full backups 
>> > >> are
>> > >> still
>> > >> failing.  Also the Hotfix referenced in KB 959962 that requires an 
>> > >> update
>> > >> to
>> > >> the integration components on the child VMs appears to apply to 
>> > >> Windows
>> > >> Server 2008 only and not to Windows 2008 Server R2. When I try to 
>> > >> install
>> > >> the
>> > >> hotfix it says its not designed for this platform.
>> > >>
>> > >>
>> > >>
>> > >> "netman" wrote:
>> > >>
>> > >> > Check the version of the Integration components on the VM's. If I
>> > >> > remember
>> > >> > correctly one of these two KB970867 or KB976542 updates the IC and 
>> > >> > you
>> > >> > have
>> > >> > to manually upgrade on every VM.
>> > >> >
>> > >> > Also, check this
>> > >> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd43089(WS.10).aspx  it 
>> > >> > has
>> > >> > all
>> > >> > the Hyper-V hotfixes and make sure they are applied
>> > >> >
>> > >> >
>> > >> > "ewchen" wrote:
>> > >> >
>> > >> > > Hello,
>> > >> > >
>> > >> > > We are in the process of testing DPM 2007 and have setup a test
>> > >> > > environment
>> > >> > > consisting of a DPM Server backing up a Windows Server 2008 R2
>> > >> > > Hyper-V host
>> > >> > > machine with 3 VMs also running Windows Server 2008 R2. We are 
>> > >> > > also
>> > >> > > backing
>> > >> > > up the C:\ and System State of the Hyper-V machine in addition 
>> > >> > > to
>> > >> > > backing up
>> > >> > > the 3 Virtual Machines all within a single protection group.
>> > >> > >
>> > >> > > We installed SP1, the Feature pack for DPM 2007 (KB949779) and 
>> > >> > > the
>> > >> > > August
>> > >> > > 28th Hotfix Rollup (KB970868).
>> > >> > >
>> > >> > > Prior to installing the Hotfix Rollup the backups were running
>> > >> > > correctly and
>> > >> > > we didn't have any problems with the backups of the virtual 
>> > >> > > machines.
>> > >> > > After
>> > >> > > installing the Hotfix Rollup package our backups of the virtual
>> > >> > > machines
>> > >> > > started to fail with the following message:
>> > >> > >
>> > >> > > "Triggering synchronization on \Backup Using Child Partition
>> > >> > > Snapshot\BackupTestVM1 failed:
>> > >> > > Error 52: The DPM service was unable to communicate with the
>> > >> > > protection
>> > >> > > agent on BACKUPTEST.
>> > >> > > Error details: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the
>> > >> > > remote host
>> > >> > > (0x80072746)
>> > >> > > Recommended action: Restart the DPM Replication Agent service on
>> > >> > > BACKUPTEST"
>> > >> > >
>> > >> > > The backups of the system state and c:\ volumes are working 
>> > >> > > correctly
>> > >> > > its
>> > >> > > only the backups of the 3 Hyper-V VMs that are failing. I can do 
>> > >> > > a
>> > >> > > consistency check on the Hyper-V members, which succeed but once 
>> > >> > > I
>> > >> > > try to
>> > >> > > create a recovery point it fails.
>> > >> > >
>> > >> > > When creating the recovery point I do see elevated disk I/O 
>> > >> > > activity
>> > >> > > on the
>> > >> > > Hyper-V server and it runs for a few minutes but then fails. On 
>> > >> > > the
>> > >> > > DPM
>> > >> > > console the status box for "Create a recovery point" does say
>> > >> > > "Transfering
>> > >> > > xxxx MB" initially but then fails.  There are no error messages 
>> > >> > > being
>> > >> > > logged
>> > >> > > on either the server or the client.
>> > >> > >
>> > >> > > The two servers are connected over a 10Gbps WAN connection and 
>> > >> > > both
>> > >> > > servers
>> > >> > > are connected to the network at 1Gbps. I did see some mention 
>> > >> > > stating
>> > >> > > that
>> > >> > > network utilization could cause this error, but in this case 
>> > >> > > network
>> > >> > > utilization is really minimal during the entire operation. The
>> > >> > > latency
>> > >> > > between the two servers is at 44ms and does not increase during 
>> > >> > > the
>> > >> > > synchronizations.
>> > >> > >
>> > >> > >
>> > >> > > Thanks,
>> > >> > > Eric
>> > >> > >
>> > >> > >
>> > .
>> > 
0
Narendran
1/29/2010 7:35:59 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Advice required
I need to create some graphs from data that is derived from a long series of separate calculations on my source data. For aesthetic reasons, I would like to hide all the "interim" calculations on the spreadsheet, but I've noticed that as soon as I hide the interim data (i.e set the row height to zero), the detail on the graphs disappears. I presume that this is a design feature feature of Excel (I supoose I can just about accept the rationale for it), but does anyone know whether there's a way around this? Many thanks. CRS. Use white fonts -- Regards, Peo Sjobl...

Creating an email message in Outlook 2007
What does Outlook use as the editor when creating an email message, looks very much like Word. Options no longer offers Word as an alternative. Hello, yes, Outlook 2007 uses Word to render and create messages- There is no possibility to change anymore. Roman Brehm "PE" <pitsofearth@msn.com> wrote in message news:%23imSovkXHHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > What does Outlook use as the editor when creating an email message, looks > very much like Word. Options no longer offers Word as an alternative. > > > > It is word. If you have the office suit...

Create More than 1 Return for Same Invoice !!!
Hello In version 10.0. The RMA can create more than 1 return for same sales invoice! Is there any possibility to disable this properties? I need to prohibit anyone to create more than 1 return for same invoice. Any suggest ? no, that cannot be disabled. Too many firms have more than one return per invoice and it is not an option -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users Get our Free Tips and Tricks Newsletter and check out our books at http://www.AccoladePublications.com "Monzer Osama" wrote: > Hello > In version 10.0. > The R...

How do you create a list with name address phone in a column form.
I have an excel file with last name, first address city state in each column. I want to prepare a two column report with each persons name first then address then phone. Can't remember how to print out a different view of excel. Making it look more like a two column word document. Maybe you can use MSWord's MailMerge. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave Rado. denise108 wrote: > > I have an excel file with last name, first address city state ...

Unable to deliver the message due to a recipient problem #4
Hi All, I am running Exchsrvr 5.5 SP4 with Post Sp4 fixes in installed. I have a user who sent an email to 4 recipients in the company and he got this error "Unable to deliver the message due to a recipient problem". None of the article in the knowledge base can help Anyone ever encountered this? Did any of them receive the message? Please post the complete NDR. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "Vincez" <Vincez@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AFF49776-E253-4469-9561-140824BDBC05@microso...

pst recovery
Unable to recover a pst file in Outlook 2000 OS Win XP. Prompted with message " Properties for this information service must be defined prior to use" then another message "File access denied. You do not have permission required to access the file C: Documents and Settings\Local Setings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Personal folders 2 .pst" Now I am able to access my Outook but my Inbox/Sent/Deleted items are empty. Please assist Thanks Right click on the file and ensure it is not marked Read-Only on its property page. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Pos...

Outlook 2010: Unable to open an internet link in a received message
Whenever I try to click a link appearing in an email I get a message saying someting like: "operation aborted due to limitations defined for this computer. Contact your systems manager (it's in Norwegian so I have to translate to the best of my ability. My OS is Windows7. I use Norton Internet security, latest edition. Can anyone tell me how to control this? Jan Erik, Oslo, Norway "Jan Erik" <jefrithj@online.no> skrev i meddelelsen news:1fit56d2ruccndr7pmneqrlm32qohghgnr@4ax.com... > Whenever I try to click a link appearing in an email I get a message > sa...

Can I create a bar graph with both stacked and normal bars?
Hi I'm trying to create a bar chart for my company for turnover against targets. For the targets we want fixed bars, however on the turnover we wanted the same bars made up different colours, so the colours highlight where the turnover came from (therefore stacked). Can I have some bars fixed and some stacked on a chart please? On Wed, 6 Aug 2008, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, g <g@discussions.microsoft.com> said: >I'm trying to create a bar chart for my company for turnover against >targets. For the targets we want fixed bars, however on the turnover we >want...

Double click to open form and create new record
Hi team, Have scoured all of the posts and tried several different things for days but just can't seem to nut this one out. I have a form (FrmSeedBankStockAvailable) in datasheet view that lists seed lots by BatchID. I want to be able to double click on the record selector for a particular batch and have a form (DialogSeedBankWithdrawal) open so that I can make a new withdrawal entry, with the BatchID already entered from the selected record. I know that to do this I need to use the forms' DblClick property. I have been using the following code (and tried variations of from...

New created storage group wasn't displayed
Hi, I have Exchange 2003 on Server 2003. I created a new storage group and then I tried to add a user's mailbox to the new group, but there is only First Storage Group in the Mailbox Store box. The new created storage group didn't show up. Please advice. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance! Lisa how long ago? did you create a mailbox store in the new SG? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Lisa" <Lisa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:AE4B6E9F-AFEB-4F19-B7B0-2FA0EBF3B4B4@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I have Exchange 2003 on Server 2003...

Creating new table columns and maintaining joins in another query
Hi, I have a table with alot of account information. However, to report on certain accounts, I have to manipulate a few of the column data and create a new column with the correct information. Once I have this new column, I do another query and get the information that I need out of that new column. The problem is when I'm querying from that new column, I'm join'ing that information to another column of information and it works the way I want it to work. But when I get more data, I have to run the original script that manipulates the data and creates a new column, agai...

NewsMaestro Usenet Supertool v. 4.4.8 for Windows/Linux/Unix
Download page: http://rapidshare.com/files/118192521/NewsMaestro_4.4.8_Src.zip (Hit Free button to download. For some download managers you need to open the .html file it downloaded to do actual download.) * Documentation update. * Bug fix in Archive 2 HTML generator while doing ReChapter. News Maestro is a power tool for usenet that automatically performs any standard Usenet operation, as specified in various RFCs, individually, or in bulk, on any number of groups and articles, utilizing sophisticated filters to select the articles to be processed. As an automated tool to do anything you...

Create Data Entry "Wizard"
Hi everyone, I'm trying to create a data entry "wizard" for a database. Basic premise - a company has clients that they need to be able to track various aspects of information about. All information might not be available at the time of entry. I'd like to have an AddClient form (data entry mode) with buttons for Add Address (ClientAddress form), Add Phones (ClientPhones form), and Add Emails (ClientEmails form). How can I pass the ClientID value created on the AddClient form to the ClientAddress (and other) forms? Thanks in Advance! On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:31:03 -...

Seks v polnolunie
Nedotroga znakomitsya s dildo ...

created chart will not display
I tried to create a 3D pie chart within a spreadsheet. After highlighting the data that I wanted in the chart , the only thing that shows up is the chart title. The pie chart itself is no where to be found. Please advise Thanks,Belinda That probably means that Excel thinks your data are not numeric. If the values you are plotting are in, say, B2:B5, in some empty column, say C, starting with C2, enter =ISNUMBER(B2) and copy down to C3:C5. What do you get? -- Tushar Mehta http://www.tushar-mehta.com Custom business solutions leveraging a multi-disciplinary approach In Excel 2007 d...

allign on decimal point
Is it possible to allign an excel work sheet so that numbers like 32.2, 1.2 & .002 all align on the decimal point Thanks Steve Gerdemann Steve, Format/Cells/Number/Accounting John "Steve Gerdemann" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:06c701c3d95f$f69ef940$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to allign an excel work sheet so that > numbers like 32.2, 1.2 & .002 all align on the decimal > point > > Thanks > Steve Gerdemann Give the range a custom format like: #,##0.?????? (as many trailing question marks as you want.) ...

Create an auto chart using macro
Hi all, I would like automatically generate a Gantt style graph though use of a Macro and a little button. I have the following data Task description Start date End date % completed % remaining. Does anyone have some code that I can just use? Haha, I think it's going to be a little more complex then you think it's going to be. Start here: http://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates/excel-gantt-chart.html You should probably get acquainted with that. There's a video there too. May be a good learning experience, but I think you already know a bit about G...

Problem with PSTs created in Outlook 2000 when copied into Outlook 2002 SP2
Hi, I am facing a problem. There is a problem thats occuring with the PST which was created in Outlook 2000 when it is being configured for the profile copied into Outlook 2002 SP2. The default folders, Inbox/Outbox/Journal/Calendar are shown as junk. Could anyone has any clue as to what can be done? Thanks in advance. Param. How are you "configuring" the file? Have you checked it for errors? -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Param" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1d40401c453b2$cd6eeee0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I am fac...

Unable to Connect to POP3
I am receiving an error stating that Outlook is unable to connect to the incoming email server (POP3) but I am able to receive my messages. Why am I receiving this and how do I stop the message from displaying? What version of Outlook? Do you have more than one account configured in Tools -> E-mail Accounts? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Navigation Pane Tips & Tricks -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 "Randy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:006201c46dc3$2f1174e0$a30...

Create ItemCheck event with Listview from Common Controls 5.0
Hello, I'm using the Listview from MS Common Controls 5.0, because it supports XP style and I'm adding checkboxes with the LVS_EX_CHECKBOXES constant. This works fine, but when the user clicks on a checkbox, the data from that row needs to be copied to an other Listview and some other things need to be done. The problem is that the 5.0 Listview doesn't have an ItemCheck event, like the 6.0 Listview does. I can get the state of the checkbox manually with SendMessage and the LVM_GETITEMSTATE constant, but then I have to loop through the Listview continuously. Is there a way...

creating auto reply on exchange server 2003 and 5.5
We have recently migrated to exchange 2003 from exchange 5.5 ( also migrated from new domain) . The users mailbox have been created to new exchange server 2003. All user emails have been changed.Is there any way to do configuartion on exchange 5.5 server for auto reply so that sender gets notification that the email address have been change and next time he will send to new email address. Sameway is there any way on 2003 exchange also. As some user leave the organisation and we have to tell the outside that this email address will no longer be active,,, Thanks Best regards ...

Unable to access Money 2003 Revisited
Two things have occurred in the past 2 days that have me curious, and am wondering if they have any bearing on the problem. I was informed that an update was available. The indication was that it was for XP SP2, but when I clicked the button nothing seemed to happen. To my knowledge, SP2 was never downloaded. A search of Money files brought up a Money 2005 file. Where it came from I do not know??? Could this be causing a problem? "Chickootz" <dpcicchi(removethis)@conexu.com> wrote in message news:O%233SdXLiEHA.3288@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Two things have occurred i...

create new field in query not working?
Hello I am using RenewalCost: IIf([1118] Is Not Null,[renewal-costs].school_1118,"0") the idea being to create a new field called RenwalCost such that if the 1118 field is set to yes (a yes/no field), then the value for the renewal cost is taken from the field school_118 in the table called renewal-costs. I'm not sure that I have the correct way of detecting a "yes" and there may well be other errors! Cheers Geoff > Hello > > I am using > > RenewalCost: IIf([1118] Is Not Null,[renewal-costs].school_1118,"0") > > the idea being to cr...

Creating a work book
How do I go about creating a work book in XL from a template? I need to keep invoices & day books but dont want to re-do a different spread sheet each time, I guess there must be an automatic way to acheive this? Open a new workbook. Format and set it up the way you like, including number of sheets, formulas, Titles and all other stuff you want to see. When you get it as you like ready for data input File>Save As>File Type>ExcelTemplate(*.XLT) Nmae it whatever you wish. Like yourname To use this Template, hit File>New...Template>On my Computer. Select your Template ...

How do I create a clear filters button in a form?
Just looking for a way to have a quick way to clear any filters created on a form. If its a visual basic command please be specific on how I do it please. :-) thanks in advance for any help! Regards, Richard Anderson Xtremist9 wrote: >Just looking for a way to have a quick way to clear any filters created on a >form. If its a visual basic command please be specific on how I do it >please. You can turn off the current filter by using: Me.FilterOn = False You can clear it with: Me.Filter = "" If that's not what you want, please explain ...