Slow backup of Hyper-V R2 cluster

We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is quite
fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long time.
It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with just 1-2 GB in change. So we are
using about 13-15 hours to backup the 30 VM's we have today

Forgot to say that we are using DPM2010 RTM evaluation

"Emptyone" wrote:

> We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is quite
> fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long time.
> It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with just 1-2 GB in change. So we are
> using about 13-15 hours to backup the 30 VM's we have today
How large is the VM? How much time did it take for the initial replica?

--
This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights

"Emptyone" <Emptyone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Forgot to say that we are using DPM2010 RTM evaluation
>
> "Emptyone" wrote:
>
>> We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is
>> quite
>> fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long
>> time.
>> It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with just 1-2 GB in change. So we
>> are
>> using about 13-15 hours to backup the 30 VM's we have today

0
Angad
5/12/2010 7:05:54 AM
One of the VMs has three fixed disks with a total of 200 GB, initial backup
took about 1,5 hours

"Angad Pal Singh [MSFT]" wrote:

> How large is the VM? How much time did it take for the initial replica?
>
> --
> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
>
> "Emptyone" <Emptyone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Forgot to say that we are using DPM2010 RTM evaluation
> >
> > "Emptyone" wrote:
> >
> >> We have a 3 node cluster, with iSCSI storage. The initial replica is
> >> quite
> >> fast. In the area of 50-80MB/s. But the following backups take a long
> >> time.
> >> It can take 1-2 hours to backup a VM with just 1-2 GB in change. So we
> >> are
> >> using about 13-15 hours to backup the 30 VM's we have today

The backups after the initial replica are all expressfulls. An expressfull
backup is a full backup with only the changed blocks being transferred. The
1-2GB of data transfer indicates very little churn, but the entire VM has
been checked for changed blocks and so it takes equivalent time. In your
case, network does not seem the bottleneck. It is taking about the same time
for the expressfull as the initial replica. I may expect the initial replica
to take a little more time than the expressfull generally. Hope that
explains.

--Angad.

--

> One of the VMs has three fixed disks with a total of 200 GB, initial
> backup
> took about 1,5 hours
>
> "Angad Pal Singh [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> How large is the VM? How much time did it take for the initial replica?
>>
>> --
>> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no
>> rights
>>
>> "Emptyone" <Emptyone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Forgot to say that we are using DPM2010 RTM evaluation

0
Angad

sending mail very slow
sending a short e-mail with 3pcs attachments size 1707 kb takes hours. Theoretical speed is 0,5 Mb. When the computer was new( year ago) sending speed was acceptable. Suggestions? Which antivirus are you running? Some of them cause problems with Windows Mail over time. As an experiment, uninstall your antivirus, reboot, then try sending again. Any difference? Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons explained here: http://thundercloud.net/infoave/tutorials/email-scanning/index.htm Note that for most Internet connections the upload speed is much slower tha...

Backup before or after nightly maintenance
What is the recommended order of doing online backup of Exchange data and maintenance every night. Our out-sourced IT group does backup before nightly maintenance start. Reading from various articles, it seems to me that backup needs to run after defrag is done. Also the backup purges the logs filea and there are many generated during nightly maintenance. Am I understnding correctly? It's important to think about the user experience. Online maintenance may not impact your users as much as a backup would. If you have one running early into the morning then you may have less impact...

Scheduling Backup Window
Hoping for some advice on backup window. We do File System, System State, Database, and Mailbox-level backups every night. Full's once a week (though certain backups are always fulls by their nature) and Incremental's every day except the Full day. I was wondering two things: Is it bad to do backups during a maintenance period? I'm talking about online database maintenance. I guess the question also applies to message tracking too. With about 1200 users and 40 Gb data per server (there are 2 servers), how long should our maintenance window be? Our backups are taking longer...

v lookup
I am inexperienced with excel so any suggestions are welcomed. I have two different spreadsheets with columns of name, hours worked, total wages. Each name has a different row for each type of wage. A person can have several rows. There are no subtotals. I want to know how to compare each spreadsheet and find the differences. Essentially I want to know if the total wages on the first spreadsheet match the second spreadsheet. If wages have been partially or completely dropped, or duplicated etc... a report would generate. Similar to balancing a checkbook. Thanks. This can be done diff...

2004 vs. v.X
I had the academic version of Office v.X. This evening I installed the academic version of Office 2004. Now there is a folder for each version in my Applications folder. Is there some reason that installing 2004 doesn't "overwrite" v.X? Is there a way to get rid of v.X safely? I would rather not have two versions of Office. Thanks! Office 2004 doesn't overwrite Office X because it's a different program, not an update, and some people actually like to have both. In the Office 2004 folder, in Additional Tools, there should be a Remove Office utility. Run it. At some p...

Outlook XP slow to start
It takes over thirty seconds for outlook to start. Close Outlook. Find and rename outcmd.dat to .old. (If using Windows 2000 or XP, you will need to enable searching hidden and system folders.) Once you have done so, reopen Outlook and it should open fine. You will need to rebuild any custom toolbars or customizations as the file outcmd.dat controls how the toolbars display. When it becomes corrupted, it will cause Outlook to hang because it cannot create the toolbars that you expect. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After...

Access runs slow across network
I have a Access 2003 database that I designed a while ago before I knew that I would be sharing it via a VPN network with two locations. My forms do a lot of checking and thus querrying data for verification of entry. It runs very fast on a local computer but when using via the two offices it is very slow on the remote location. Asside from rewritting the entire DB are there any other options/settings I could use to get this running faster? Thank you. Hi Ronni, You might want to look into using Terminal Server. More information here, in an article written by Access MVP Albert Kallal: ...

Outlook 2002 slow to respond
I am an IT manager and one of our users is getting very slow response in Outlook. This is a newly installed machine clean XP pro with all critical updates, clean office XP install with all office updates. We are using Exchange 5.5 Enterprise. Specific symptoms include; With preview pane turned on each new message selected takes 10 to 15 seconds to appear. I found the following event in the application log. Event Type: Error Event Source: Microsoft Office 10 Event Category: None Event ID: 1000 Date: 10/21/2003 Time: 8:23:55 AM User: N/A Computer: WSSC3C098 Description: Faulting a...

Two different kinds of backup files from manual and backup on exit
Every time I exit Money I get backup files with names like qdata05 Backup d2_2008-01-09_121457 On the other hand if I use the back up function while Money is operating, the progress bar informs that the file is being compressed,then backed up I get files with names like my2005 backup D1 which are about 1/5 of the size my2005.MNY is the name of the actual money i file i open each time 2 questions... If I should ever need to restore a backup, would the compressed and uncompressed files (if created without any change made in between to the .mny file) produce the same results? Where does...

Office 2008 Slow?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Can someone please help understand why my Office suite-especially Word takes about 45 seconds or more to load!? I have done the latest update-which I understand fixed this-but it didn't! I also have just the standard fonts installed on my machine. I have also teird uninstalling and reinstalling Office and that didn't help either. I am really frustrated-plese help. Thanks Sorry: It's bugs in the system. Search in here for "Slow" an try all the things listed. Some may help. Basically, Apple chang...

Slow Excel 2002 Macros
Any ideas on why a Macro would would run slower on Excel 2002?? They run great on earlier versions of Excel. Is it XP-Pro related?? It's like it's cache related, it runs fast at the start then becomes slower and slower. It's evaluating the first cell of a row, if it does not contain a certain variable we're looking for, it deletes the entire row. We've tried to re-do the macro in Excel 2002 thinking that maybe the functions have changed but end up with the exact same syntax. Hi you may post the (relevant part of) your macro. Also try adding lines like applica...

Backup #2
I am unable to use backup because I am receiving and error message which states it is unable to create a temporary file; therefore, the backup fails. Is there a way to fix this? If not, I am unable to export the file because I am a receiving an error which states that there is a line that is too long? HELP. Hi Kristine How much free space do you have on your hard drive? Have you recently deleted files in your tmp or temp directory? If you do not have enough free space on your hard drive for virtual memory, then you will have problems creating temporary files in general Bob "K...

Complete Outlook 2003 backup....
Can anyone point me in the direction of a explanatory step by step guide to the magic of an complete Outlook 2003 backup? I know how to back up the PST-file(s), but what about rules and self-made forms and formfields? And Outlook Today, and more.......if it is....... -- Regards Zadig Galbaras A Perturbed Norwegian Agnostic For complete backup information, please see this page: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm >-----Original Message----- >Can anyone point me in the direction of a explanatory step by step guide to >the magic of an complete Outlook 2003 backup? >I ...

Backup and Upgrade
We plan to upgrade our Exchange 5.5 now running on NT 4 to 2003 on a current 2003 domain. Understanding we must upgrade to 2000 first, I assume we must upgrade the 5.5 to Exchange 2000 then upgrade the OS to 2000 then upgrade the 2000 Exchange to 2003. Is there any easy way to do this?? And how can I back up ALL of Exchange 5.5 and then 2000 if it blows up. I recently upgraded a NT box to 2000. All the checks and diags said the box would handle the upgrade. It hung and I had to do a complete new install, lost all the config and some data. I do not want to have this problem again. Th...

Can't get money 2002 to open money 98 backup file.
I keep getting an message saying either it isn't a money file or the file is corrupted. I did this over and over on diff. floppies. Still the same. It is on our biz laptop we backup money 98 to a floppy, then to our pc in the office we try to restore and no go. Any clues? Pretty much tried everything possible here. Thanx Ben In microsoft.public.money, Ben wrote: >I keep getting an message saying either it isn't a money >file or the file is corrupted. I did this over and over on >diff. floppies. Still the same. It is on our biz laptop we >backup money 98 to a flo...

Access Denied on Cluster
I am running into errors that always seem to be related ot access permissions with Exchange Systems Manager and the MAD Monitoring thread. The error ID always seems to be 80070005. 1. When viewing the Exchange Systems Manager general tab, the following error string is located in the log file directory field: Access Denied Facility: Win32 ID no: 80070005 Exchange System Manager 2. Same error comes up in a dialog box when attempting to get to the Directory Access and Full-Text Indexing tabs. 3. In the Event Viewer, I get the message: Source: MSExchangeSA Category: Monitoring Event I...

Slow slow processing
Everything is slow. It takes forever to type in a message. If I try to try to open different folding the response is very slow. If I try to make a new folder it could take a minute ore two before the new folder appears. .....And no it is not because my internet connection is slow. I am hooked to a very fast cable internet connection. Everything else on my computer is very fast...internet and all software programs. Any suggestions on how to fix this ?-- ........... That's not normal. If you open Task Manager while the slowness is occurring does it reflect high CPU usag...

Backup batch file error
Created batch file as... osql -U sa -P password -S mypc -Q "BACKUP DATABASE 995 TO DISK = 'C:\TEST_BACKUP\995.BCK'" when I run it, I get error mssg is "incorrect syntax near '995' the database name is 995; I tried using single quotes between 995 but to no avail - same error mssg I appreciate any help on this - thanks hi Convoluted, do this: osql -U sa -P password -S mypc -Q "BACKUP DATABASE [995] TO DISK = 'C:\TEST_BACKUP\995.BCK'" Rate one work. "convoluted" wrote: > > Created batch file as... > osql -U sa -P pass...

Slow Performance on Site-to-Site using Folder Redirection 12-23-09
I have a situation that is forcing me to stop using Folder Redirection on the remote site due to poor performance, mostly slowness. I, on the other hand have set up a laptop to use offline files on the same domain. At this point it seems to me that offline files will be the best option here. The domain consist of an SBS2008 Premium with a remote Standard Server domain controller. The site to site is using a Sonicwall appliance. I love using FR, but cannot sacrifice performance and will hate to think that it was only meant to be used for authentication purposes. Any ideas? Thank you f...

OL 2003 Slow to open Http links
Installed 2007 did not like it. It started the slow linking to embedded HTTP links in emails. Uninstalled 2007. Put 2003 back and the problem still exists. I think I have removed all referenced in the registry to Office 12.0. Any help would be appreciated.... TIA Bob These slowness issues are more likely to be caused by your browser or by a feature of your virus scanner which scans the link before parsing it to the browser. It's hard to tell what's going on with this level of detail. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook ...

Office v.X or Office 2004 for Mac
I just started thinking about installing Office because Appleworks doesn't always seem to be able to translate certain Office documents. I have tried Open Office for Mac but I'm not impressed. I would probably buy a CD on eBay. If all I am expecting to do is use the wordprocessing and spreadsheet applications is there any real advantage to choose Office 2004 rather than Office v.X? I have a G4 running 10.2.8 Thanks in advance for any advice you might have. Office 2004 brought a lot of fixes for various problems and many new features, among them a super outline/Notebook mode in Wor...

Backup problems #2
Our exchange server is having a problem. I have set up scheduled tasks to each day back up the database. We have 3 stores. Once the backup is complete, 2 of the 3 stores delete the log files. The other store does not. This leads me to believe there is a problem with the checkpoint file. However, I cannot figure out how to fix it. It keeps causing the server to fill up. Any help would be appreciated. dismount the store, check for a clean shutdown then delete the logs manually. remount the store and try a backup "tlc" <tlc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Slowness
Hi, Excel has become very slow. I have Norton Anti-Virus and Excel says that it is checking for viruses in the bottom left corner of the screen. But it sits there for several seconds before it starts checking for viruses. Any ideas? Thanks, Jim I now use AVG but, as I recall, you can tell norton NOT to check excel. Look in options and preferences, etc. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Jim Cannon" <jamescannon@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:uprzHaaIFHA.3332@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi, > Excel has become very slow. I have Norton Ant...

do my email attachments backup with .pst??
If I move my pst to another computer, are my attachments included Yes. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, bob asked: | If I move my pst to another computer, are my attachments included ...

OL2003: Slow Attachment Opening
I have problem with slow opening of attachments in Outlook 2003. This problem encounted when I installed Office 2003. I'm 98% sure that there was no problem with Office XP. Configuration is not the problem P4/2.x Mhz/512 RAM I'm connected to Exchange 2000 Server, so none of the Outlook offline options are not installed and turned on. Machine is working in LAN environment. Generally, the problem is this: Outlook works fine and have no problems with mail loading and showing on the screen. But, when I try to open some attachment (Word, Excel, ...) the whole Outlook is blocked. Then t...