HyperV protection failing with replication inconsistent-dpm2010

I'm having this occur on two different Hyper-V vm's, one a DC, one not a dc.. 

Not sure why this is the case..

here are the errors (same for both)

Affected area:	\Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\VSBorg02
Occurred since:	1/31/2010 7:51:56 PM
Description:	The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child Partition 
Snapshot\VSBorg02 on Vserver02.pst.local is inconsistent with the protected 
data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the 
replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from 
existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until the 
replica is consistent. 

For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with the 
databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a 
consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
	The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either it 
was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current 
operation. (ID 30111 Details: Unknown error (0x8004230f) (0x8004230F))
Recommended action:	Please check that the Event Service, the VSS service and 
the shadow copy provider service is running, and check for errors associated 
with these services in the Application Event Log on the server 
Vserver02.pst.local. Please allow 10 minutes for VSS to repair itself and 
then retry the operation.
For more information on this error, go to 
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.
	Synchronize with consistency check.
	Run a synchronization job with consistency check...
Resolution:	To dismiss the alert, click below
	Inactivate alert


Does anyone know why this may be occurring?

The guest is x64 2008 r2, the dpm server is 2008 x64 r2 as well.. on dpm 
2010 beta.. i had the same issue with dpm 2007.

Thanks
0
Utf
2/1/2010 7:42:01 PM
dataprotectionmanager 1083 articles. 0 followers. Follow

7 Replies
3962 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 59

From the error code it seems like a VSS provider error. Can you review the 
application and system eventlogs on the node where the VM backup was 
attempted?

-- 
Thanks
Shyama Hembram
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


"markm75" <markm75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:AD23652F-E03A-4F1F-B627-6819916EE13F@microsoft.com...
> I'm having this occur on two different Hyper-V vm's, one a DC, one not a 
> dc..
>
> Not sure why this is the case..
>
> here are the errors (same for both)
>
> Affected area: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\VSBorg02
> Occurred since: 1/31/2010 7:51:56 PM
> Description: The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child 
> Partition
> Snapshot\VSBorg02 on Vserver02.pst.local is inconsistent with the 
> protected
> data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the
> replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from
> existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until 
> the
> replica is consistent.
>
> For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with 
> the
> databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a
> consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
> The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either 
> it
> was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current
> operation. (ID 30111 Details: Unknown error (0x8004230f) (0x8004230F))
> Recommended action: Please check that the Event Service, the VSS service 
> and
> the shadow copy provider service is running, and check for errors 
> associated
> with these services in the Application Event Log on the server
> Vserver02.pst.local. Please allow 10 minutes for VSS to repair itself and
> then retry the operation.
> For more information on this error, go to
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.
> Synchronize with consistency check.
> Run a synchronization job with consistency check...
> Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
> Inactivate alert
>
>
> Does anyone know why this may be occurring?
>
> The guest is x64 2008 r2, the dpm server is 2008 x64 r2 as well.. on dpm
> 2010 beta.. i had the same issue with dpm 2007.
>
> Thanks 

0
Shyama
2/2/2010 4:39:17 AM
All i'm seeing in the VM itself in the system log are info events.. like the 
dpmra service entered the running state etc..



"Shyama Hembram[MSFT]" wrote:

> From the error code it seems like a VSS provider error. Can you review the 
> application and system eventlogs on the node where the VM backup was 
> attempted?
> 
> -- 
> Thanks
> Shyama Hembram
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> 
> 
> "markm75" <markm75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:AD23652F-E03A-4F1F-B627-6819916EE13F@microsoft.com...
> > I'm having this occur on two different Hyper-V vm's, one a DC, one not a 
> > dc..
> >
> > Not sure why this is the case..
> >
> > here are the errors (same for both)
> >
> > Affected area: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\VSBorg02
> > Occurred since: 1/31/2010 7:51:56 PM
> > Description: The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child 
> > Partition
> > Snapshot\VSBorg02 on Vserver02.pst.local is inconsistent with the 
> > protected
> > data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the
> > replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data from
> > existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created until 
> > the
> > replica is consistent.
> >
> > For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with 
> > the
> > databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a
> > consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
> > The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. Either 
> > it
> > was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current
> > operation. (ID 30111 Details: Unknown error (0x8004230f) (0x8004230F))
> > Recommended action: Please check that the Event Service, the VSS service 
> > and
> > the shadow copy provider service is running, and check for errors 
> > associated
> > with these services in the Application Event Log on the server
> > Vserver02.pst.local. Please allow 10 minutes for VSS to repair itself and
> > then retry the operation.
> > For more information on this error, go to
> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.
> > Synchronize with consistency check.
> > Run a synchronization job with consistency check...
> > Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
> > Inactivate alert
> >
> >
> > Does anyone know why this may be occurring?
> >
> > The guest is x64 2008 r2, the dpm server is 2008 x64 r2 as well.. on dpm
> > 2010 beta.. i had the same issue with dpm 2007.
> >
> > Thanks 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
2/2/2010 2:54:01 PM
Can you send me the application event logs from the host where the backup of 
the VM was attempted? You can send mail to shyamah [at] microsoft [dot] com

-- 
Thanks
Shyama Hembram
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


"markm75g" <markm75g@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:CD984B42-37EB-458A-8853-ABDA5F59B404@microsoft.com...
> All i'm seeing in the VM itself in the system log are info events.. like 
> the
> dpmra service entered the running state etc..
>
>
>
> "Shyama Hembram[MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> From the error code it seems like a VSS provider error. Can you review 
>> the
>> application and system eventlogs on the node where the VM backup was
>> attempted?
>>
>> -- 
>> Thanks
>> Shyama Hembram
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
>> rights.
>>
>>
>> "markm75" <markm75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:AD23652F-E03A-4F1F-B627-6819916EE13F@microsoft.com...
>> > I'm having this occur on two different Hyper-V vm's, one a DC, one not 
>> > a
>> > dc..
>> >
>> > Not sure why this is the case..
>> >
>> > here are the errors (same for both)
>> >
>> > Affected area: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\VSBorg02
>> > Occurred since: 1/31/2010 7:51:56 PM
>> > Description: The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child
>> > Partition
>> > Snapshot\VSBorg02 on Vserver02.pst.local is inconsistent with the
>> > protected
>> > data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until 
>> > the
>> > replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data 
>> > from
>> > existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created 
>> > until
>> > the
>> > replica is consistent.
>> >
>> > For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with
>> > the
>> > databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a
>> > consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
>> > The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. 
>> > Either
>> > it
>> > was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current
>> > operation. (ID 30111 Details: Unknown error (0x8004230f) (0x8004230F))
>> > Recommended action: Please check that the Event Service, the VSS 
>> > service
>> > and
>> > the shadow copy provider service is running, and check for errors
>> > associated
>> > with these services in the Application Event Log on the server
>> > Vserver02.pst.local. Please allow 10 minutes for VSS to repair itself 
>> > and
>> > then retry the operation.
>> > For more information on this error, go to
>> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.
>> > Synchronize with consistency check.
>> > Run a synchronization job with consistency check...
>> > Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
>> > Inactivate alert
>> >
>> >
>> > Does anyone know why this may be occurring?
>> >
>> > The guest is x64 2008 r2, the dpm server is 2008 x64 r2 as well.. on 
>> > dpm
>> > 2010 beta.. i had the same issue with dpm 2007.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>>
>> .
>> 
0
Shyama
2/3/2010 7:37:39 PM
I can do this, but maybe i dont need to go this route..

Question is.. if i just back up the vhd's on the host server.. the ones for 
the operating system in this case.. 

In this case its a domain controller..

If i have a DC /domain failure.. and i restore that vhd (say it was within 
30 days).. is this as good as using the container for the hyperv 
representation of that DC?

Or should i actually be backing up the "system state" container by having 
the dpm client installed inside the DC (which i do have the dpm client 
installed on the dc itself)?



"Shyama Hembram[MSFT]" wrote:

> Can you send me the application event logs from the host where the backup of 
> the VM was attempted? You can send mail to shyamah [at] microsoft [dot] com
> 
> -- 
> Thanks
> Shyama Hembram
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> 
> 
> "markm75g" <markm75g@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:CD984B42-37EB-458A-8853-ABDA5F59B404@microsoft.com...
> > All i'm seeing in the VM itself in the system log are info events.. like 
> > the
> > dpmra service entered the running state etc..
> >
> >
> >
> > "Shyama Hembram[MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> From the error code it seems like a VSS provider error. Can you review 
> >> the
> >> application and system eventlogs on the node where the VM backup was
> >> attempted?
> >>
> >> -- 
> >> Thanks
> >> Shyama Hembram
> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
> >> rights.
> >>
> >>
> >> "markm75" <markm75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:AD23652F-E03A-4F1F-B627-6819916EE13F@microsoft.com...
> >> > I'm having this occur on two different Hyper-V vm's, one a DC, one not 
> >> > a
> >> > dc..
> >> >
> >> > Not sure why this is the case..
> >> >
> >> > here are the errors (same for both)
> >> >
> >> > Affected area: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\VSBorg02
> >> > Occurred since: 1/31/2010 7:51:56 PM
> >> > Description: The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child
> >> > Partition
> >> > Snapshot\VSBorg02 on Vserver02.pst.local is inconsistent with the
> >> > protected
> >> > data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until 
> >> > the
> >> > replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data 
> >> > from
> >> > existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created 
> >> > until
> >> > the
> >> > replica is consistent.
> >> >
> >> > For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created with
> >> > the
> >> > databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run a
> >> > consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
> >> > The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state. 
> >> > Either
> >> > it
> >> > was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the current
> >> > operation. (ID 30111 Details: Unknown error (0x8004230f) (0x8004230F))
> >> > Recommended action: Please check that the Event Service, the VSS 
> >> > service
> >> > and
> >> > the shadow copy provider service is running, and check for errors
> >> > associated
> >> > with these services in the Application Event Log on the server
> >> > Vserver02.pst.local. Please allow 10 minutes for VSS to repair itself 
> >> > and
> >> > then retry the operation.
> >> > For more information on this error, go to
> >> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.
> >> > Synchronize with consistency check.
> >> > Run a synchronization job with consistency check...
> >> > Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
> >> > Inactivate alert
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > Does anyone know why this may be occurring?
> >> >
> >> > The guest is x64 2008 r2, the dpm server is 2008 x64 r2 as well.. on 
> >> > dpm
> >> > 2010 beta.. i had the same issue with dpm 2007.
> >> >
> >> > Thanks
> >>
> >> .
> >> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
2/4/2010 7:10:01 PM
Backing up Vhd's at a host level will not give you application consistency 
within the guest. It will be crash consistent at best. As you said that you 
can compensate for that by protecting the system state separately. But what 
will you do in case the VM does not boot up from the backed up VHD? Hence 
using the Hyper-V Writer is the way to go - also you don't have to protect 
system state separately (unless you are using passthrough/iSCSI disks in the 
guest). The error code that you have posted indicates that some unexpected 
provider error happen while using the hardware provider. In this case VSS or 
the VSS hardware provider will log events in the application event logs.

-- 
Thanks
Shyama Hembram
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.


"markm75g" <markm75g@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:8C67C351-D5E6-444D-8D8C-DC4593EFFB30@microsoft.com...
> I can do this, but maybe i dont need to go this route..
>
> Question is.. if i just back up the vhd's on the host server.. the ones 
> for
> the operating system in this case..
>
> In this case its a domain controller..
>
> If i have a DC /domain failure.. and i restore that vhd (say it was within
> 30 days).. is this as good as using the container for the hyperv
> representation of that DC?
>
> Or should i actually be backing up the "system state" container by having
> the dpm client installed inside the DC (which i do have the dpm client
> installed on the dc itself)?
>
>
>
> "Shyama Hembram[MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Can you send me the application event logs from the host where the backup 
>> of
>> the VM was attempted? You can send mail to shyamah [at] microsoft [dot] 
>> com
>>
>> -- 
>> Thanks
>> Shyama Hembram
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
>> rights.
>>
>>
>> "markm75g" <markm75g@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:CD984B42-37EB-458A-8853-ABDA5F59B404@microsoft.com...
>> > All i'm seeing in the VM itself in the system log are info events.. 
>> > like
>> > the
>> > dpmra service entered the running state etc..
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> > "Shyama Hembram[MSFT]" wrote:
>> >
>> >> From the error code it seems like a VSS provider error. Can you review
>> >> the
>> >> application and system eventlogs on the node where the VM backup was
>> >> attempted?
>> >>
>> >> -- 
>> >> Thanks
>> >> Shyama Hembram
>> >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
>> >> rights.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> "markm75" <markm75@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >> news:AD23652F-E03A-4F1F-B627-6819916EE13F@microsoft.com...
>> >> > I'm having this occur on two different Hyper-V vm's, one a DC, one 
>> >> > not
>> >> > a
>> >> > dc..
>> >> >
>> >> > Not sure why this is the case..
>> >> >
>> >> > here are the errors (same for both)
>> >> >
>> >> > Affected area: \Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\VSBorg02
>> >> > Occurred since: 1/31/2010 7:51:56 PM
>> >> > Description: The replica of Microsoft Hyper-V \Backup Using Child
>> >> > Partition
>> >> > Snapshot\VSBorg02 on Vserver02.pst.local is inconsistent with the
>> >> > protected
>> >> > data source. All protection activities for data source will fail 
>> >> > until
>> >> > the
>> >> > replica is synchronized with consistency check. You can recover data
>> >> > from
>> >> > existing recovery points, but new recovery points cannot be created
>> >> > until
>> >> > the
>> >> > replica is consistent.
>> >> >
>> >> > For SharePoint farm, recovery points will continue getting created 
>> >> > with
>> >> > the
>> >> > databases that are consistent. To backup inconsistent databases, run 
>> >> > a
>> >> > consistency check on the farm. (ID 3106)
>> >> > The VSS application writer or the VSS provider is in a bad state.
>> >> > Either
>> >> > it
>> >> > was already in a bad state or it entered a bad state during the 
>> >> > current
>> >> > operation. (ID 30111 Details: Unknown error (0x8004230f) 
>> >> > (0x8004230F))
>> >> > Recommended action: Please check that the Event Service, the VSS
>> >> > service
>> >> > and
>> >> > the shadow copy provider service is running, and check for errors
>> >> > associated
>> >> > with these services in the Application Event Log on the server
>> >> > Vserver02.pst.local. Please allow 10 minutes for VSS to repair 
>> >> > itself
>> >> > and
>> >> > then retry the operation.
>> >> > For more information on this error, go to
>> >> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=132612.
>> >> > Synchronize with consistency check.
>> >> > Run a synchronization job with consistency check...
>> >> > Resolution: To dismiss the alert, click below
>> >> > Inactivate alert
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > Does anyone know why this may be occurring?
>> >> >
>> >> > The guest is x64 2008 r2, the dpm server is 2008 x64 r2 as well.. on
>> >> > dpm
>> >> > 2010 beta.. i had the same issue with dpm 2007.
>> >> >
>> >> > Thanks
>> >>
>> >> .
>> >>
>> .
>> 
0
Shyama
2/5/2010 4:52:33 AM
I'm not sure how backing up the C drive vhd is crash consistent.. i mean.. at 
least in the case of NON DC's.. say regular servers that are self contained 
etc..

If the vhd doesnt boot, then i would go back in time further till i found an 
instance of one that did (we have 30 day retention)..

How does using the hyperV container prevent this situation ?  I can see that 
it basically is a system state of the entire VM, but there could still be 
issues with booting, if there is an internal OS issue on the vm itself.

Also.. at least with the DC the size of the OS drive is in reality 30GB, 
when i do the system state for it.. it comes out to 250GB for the container.  
the D drive is 7GB or so.. thats 37GB.. the replica container becomes 250GB?  
Unclear as to if there is a way to trim that, if i do end up going the 
container route..

When i just backup the vhds, its around 40GB, by doing the calculate etc..

A big savings when you have 26 VM's, if doing the container mode.



"Shyama Hembram[MSFT]" wrote:

> Backing up Vhd's at a host level will not give you application consistency 
> within the guest. It will be crash consistent at best. As you said that you 
> can compensate for that by protecting the system state separately. But what 
> will you do in case the VM does not boot up from the backed up VHD? Hence 
> using the Hyper-V Writer is the way to go - also you don't have to protect 
> system state separately (unless you are using passthrough/iSCSI disks in the 
> guest). The error code that you have posted indicates that some unexpected 
> provider error happen while using the hardware provider. In this case VSS or 
> the VSS hardware provider will log events in the application event logs.
> 
> -- 
> Thanks
> Shyama Hembram
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> 
> 

0
Utf
2/5/2010 8:49:02 PM
        When you backup C: and vhd files present in it, the VM might be 
actively reading/writing the vhd contents. Hence It is possible when you 
backup from C:, the VM itself may not be in a bootable state(for example a 
critical driver installation in the progress in VM, only registry entries 
have been completed and pushed into vhd but some of the files are still in 
VM NTFS cache and not pushed onto disk, NTFS does optimizes on files 
read/writes, this is just an example may not happen in real time).

        Having 30 days older backups may increase the backed-up vhds being 
bootable. But still don't eliminate completely all being not bootable 
state(for example, once the vhd enters into a state which can't booted as it 
is without shutting the VM down, as few files are overwritten only on a 
reboot, its possible that 30 days backups will be in a non bootable state, 
this is just an example may not happen in real time).

        To prevent such situations, Hyper-V writer makes sure that if it is 
involved in taking a backup of virtual machine vhds, they will be in 
restorable using again Hyper-V writer and the VMs can boot from such Vhds.

        If you do Hyper-V container method backup of Vhds vs System state, 
Hyper-V backups are done using a file-system filter and optimized for disk 
space usage for incremental backups. For example when only few files change 
in an entire VHD only the changed blocks from the vhd file will be 
transferred to DPM and stored for incremental backup, this approach will be 
very efficient. On the contrary if you backup using system state, the inbox 
system state always creates new files and new directory structure even the 
filter can find which blocks changed but due to new files/directories have 
been created all the contents need to be transferred and stored separately 
where disk space will be costlier. Also its possible that you have a 
systemstate backup but the VM backup in non bootable state, in this case the 
systemstate backup becomes useless, as systemstate backups works best with 
the same machine.

But another approach to solve this problem is to use the BMR protection from 
VM itself instead of going trough the Hyper-V container, it backups all 
critical volumes of the production server and including system state, Its 
more efficient in both disk space usage as and it will be free of all the 
non-botable sates issue. As Every backup is taken from the VM itself and all 
writers are involved within it. Involving writers assures that there are no 
problems in applications as well as in systemstate.

For the problem that you are facing you can move to a software VSS provider 
and remove the hardware provider, or get the hardware provider working or 
use the BMR bakup by protecting the VM itself. Backing up vhds from C: is 
not a good idea. Hope this helps you understand how DPM features can be used 
effectively in your environments.

For How to do BMR protection using DPM 2007 SP1: 
http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2009/12/03/new-whitepaper-how-to-do-bare-metal-recovery-of-ws-08-with-dpm-2007.aspx

With DPM 2010 RC, you will have BMR as a protectable datasource named as 
"System Protection" for Win2K8/Win2K8 R2 systems.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"markm75g" <markm75g@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:7AD9E8C2-C0FB-49E1-AFA9-E946C500705E@microsoft.com...
> I'm not sure how backing up the C drive vhd is crash consistent.. i mean.. 
> at
> least in the case of NON DC's.. say regular servers that are self 
> contained
> etc..
>
> If the vhd doesnt boot, then i would go back in time further till i found 
> an
> instance of one that did (we have 30 day retention)..
>
> How does using the hyperV container prevent this situation ?  I can see 
> that
> it basically is a system state of the entire VM, but there could still be
> issues with booting, if there is an internal OS issue on the vm itself.
>
> Also.. at least with the DC the size of the OS drive is in reality 30GB,
> when i do the system state for it.. it comes out to 250GB for the 
> container.
> the D drive is 7GB or so.. thats 37GB.. the replica container becomes 
> 250GB?
> Unclear as to if there is a way to trim that, if i do end up going the
> container route..
>
> When i just backup the vhds, its around 40GB, by doing the calculate etc..
>
> A big savings when you have 26 VM's, if doing the container mode.
>
>
>
> "Shyama Hembram[MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Backing up Vhd's at a host level will not give you application 
>> consistency
>> within the guest. It will be crash consistent at best. As you said that 
>> you
>> can compensate for that by protecting the system state separately. But 
>> what
>> will you do in case the VM does not boot up from the backed up VHD? Hence
>> using the Hyper-V Writer is the way to go - also you don't have to 
>> protect
>> system state separately (unless you are using passthrough/iSCSI disks in 
>> the
>> guest). The error code that you have posted indicates that some 
>> unexpected
>> provider error happen while using the hardware provider. In this case VSS 
>> or
>> the VSS hardware provider will log events in the application event logs.
>>
>> -- 
>> Thanks
>> Shyama Hembram
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
>> rights.
>>
>>
> 
0
Praveen
2/19/2010 12:50:27 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Inconsistent Character Corruption
I sent an email with a Word 07 document attached. The recipient said that a few "strange" characters appear in the document. I opened the attachment and did not have the issue. However, I opened the attachment on two other computers: one had the corruption and the other didn't. The corruption was the improper insertion of punctuation: an opening quotation mark was an "A", a closing quotation mark was an "@" and an aposthophe was an "=". I not so much interested in why there is a corruption as why does it show on some com...

Protecting individual cells in a sheet
Is there a way to protect individual cells in a worksheet while allowing all others to be modified? Thanks Bill Hi bill try the following - select all cells which should be UNPROTECTED - goto 'format - Cells - Protection' and UNcheck 'Protection' for these cells - protect this worksheet 8goto 'Tools - Protection') -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany bill_macdermott@verizon.net wrote: > Is there a way to protect individual cells in a worksheet > while allowing all others to be modified? > > Thanks > Bill Additionally if you have just a couple...

Password protected Excel sheet and Office 2007 behaviour
Hello There, I have a user with Vista and Excel 2007, when he gets a password protected Excel file he tries to open it and it flashes what I think is the screen to input the password and then it says that the password is not correct, we have the password but we cannot enter it because it flashes it realy fast and comes with the error message that the password is not correct; what is it going on? Thanks have a great day ...

Macro to Protect workbook using a password #2
I know this would be a little unorthodox, but I currently have a macro that will unprotect a workbook including a password. The line is as follows: ActiveWorkbook.Unprotect (password) I also want a macro that will do just the opposite, including the password. Is this possible? I've tried the following with no luck. ActiveWorkbook.Protect (password), Structure:=True, Windows:=True You got two replies when to your identical post on Tuesday. If they weren't suitable, please explain why not. If you didn't see them, you can always see your posts and any replies using the Go...

Hand Icon when sheet protected problem ?
I get a hand icon when hovering over a groupd of cells when I have protection turned on for a sheet in a workbook. The workbook can be downloaded here; http://www.jimsthings.com/excel/Timesheet T7s.xls and one group of cells that display the problem are A46:A60 on the open worksheet - the affected cells are not 'locked' - the same problem can be seen on many other cells on this sheet. Any help apreciated Thanks ...

Operation Failed when sending e-mail
I have Outlook 98 installed on Windows 2003 Terminal Server. At the the moment the clients are foreced to use Outlook Rich Text format as their e-mail editor. The customer has decided that they want to use Word as the e-mail editor, so I changed the policy to force the Clients to use Word. All this works fine no problem, Outlook opens OK and you can happily type an e-mail, inlcuding attachments and hyperlinks etc. But when you click on send, it says "Operation Failed". I tried sending a blank e-mail with no attachments and the same thing happens. Does any one have any i...

usb mouse descriptor failed to work
Hi, I`ve a problem with my mouse descriptor. At the moment, the mouse device will be always shown at the top left corner of the main screen. Anyway which values will be transmitted to the host computer. Maybe there`s an error in my report descriptor... I don`t need the buttons which will be available at a normal mouse device. const BYTE HID_ReportDescriptor2[] = { 0x05, 0x01, // USAGE_PAGE (Generic Desktop) 0x09, 0x02, // USAGE (Mouse) 0xa1, 0x01, // COLLECTION (Application) 0x09, 0x01, // USAGE (Pointer) 0xa1, 0x00, // COLLECTION (Physical) 0x05, 0x01, // USAGE PAGE (Gen...

Ink Annotations in Protected Word Form
I have created several word documents that I protected as a form. The have drop downs and inserted fields to type in. I have an area that I need for the user to draw a picture of even sign. I can't seem to get the Ink Annotations button to be enabled when it's in the protected mode. ANyone know a way that I can use the PC Tablets function to get this done. Chris Hi Chris, This news group is for questions about converting between different versions of Microsoft Access database software. Your question seems to be about using electronic ink in Micrsoft Word documents on a table...

Home / Office Desk Power Option failed to turn off LCD screen
Hi, My OS is MS Window XP (Home) Edition. I have set my power option as "Home / Office Desk Scheme" which is suppose to turn off my LCD screen after 10 minutes if the PC remains inactive. Lately I find that this feature is not working at all. I need to turn off the screen manually if I play music for long hours. May I know what are the possible causes and how to deal with this problem ? Thanks Low On Feb 2, 2:05=A0pm, Mr. Low <Mr...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, > > My OS is MS Window XP (Home) Edition. > > I have set my p...

Replicating Schedule Free busy
i installed a new 2003 ex. server to replace our outdated 2000 exchange. ran the replication procedures on all Pub.Folders per KB- 822931. All but the Schedule Free Busy has replicated and it's been several days. i should see a subfolder under this just like on our old server but nothing. I still have the old server running so i went into the sch. /busy folder, went into replication and did see where i listed the new Server. When i click on Replication\ details for this , i see where the old server says in sync, but our new says- Local Modified. what to do and should i even worry abou...

Password protection for windows mail
I use windows mail on windows vista. My son and oher visitors often use my lap top and I want to password protect windows mail to prevent anyone opening it and reading my mail - can anyone help? "Ruby210771" <Ruby210771@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A96E004-4014-49F9-B8D0-DDC9062E9055@microsoft.com... >I use windows mail on windows vista. My son and oher visitors often use my > lap top and I want to password protect windows mail to prevent anyone > opening > it and reading my mail - can anyone help? Not possible within the WM ...

Pop3 Connector fails
I have recently had a problem where the POP3 connector fails when you try to update the routing on email with certain specifics in the To: field. e.g. I added a new user called Elaine to the system, went into the POP3 connector to add a routing for Elaine and when you click OK, OK again, the exchange system manager crashes with the following error: exadmin.dll caused a problem. (then the usual report it to MS, etc) I have reported this once but no suggested resolutions were found. Any thoughts as this user isn't getting email until I add the routing. Regards Julian ...

Protecting Publisher Documents from being edited
I have recently created a publisher document (our company Terms & Conditions) and i'd like to be able to protect the file from being edited by colleages. But i'd like them to be able to view and print it if necessary. Any ideas? If the file resides in a network file system, all you have to do is set the read-only property. If you can't do this, you will have to ask the systems admin to perform this for you. Do one of the following: For Windows XP, click the Start button on the Windows taskbar, and then click My Computer. For Windows 2000, double-click the My Computer ico...

Protect a worksheet/cells from being copied
I would like to be able to hide a column, protect the worksheet, and have it so that it cannot be copied, pasted into a new workbook and then the hidden column made visible. Is this possible? No.. It is not possible.. -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Barbie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15C6A9E0-597A-49B9-9E5E-08912D21E938@microsoft.com... > I would like to be able to hide a column, protect the worksheet, and have it so that it cannot be copied, pasted into a new workbook and then the hidden column made visible. Is this possible? ...

windows media player fails
Yesterday I uploaded MVI_1138.AVI from my camera to my laptop. Then I played it (to see if it was good). Then I played it for guests twice more (so it must have been good). Today it will not play. WMP indicates that it does not recognize the file type. Any suggestions??? Charles ...

Creating multipage PDF from password protected Woorkbooks.
I have to do billing through our clients password protected Excel Workbook. After entering in our information the expect for us to email it back as a multi-sheet PDF. The problem is that the password protected workbook will not create multi-Sheet PDFs it it says "please verify if you have modification rights to the document." Does anyone know a workaround? Our client uses Macs and PCs they now expect us to ditch all our Macs for PCs becouse they said they did not have any problems on any of their PCs. Hi Paul - <paulbaucom@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1176290518.153372...

The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error and Failed to query SPN registration on DC 'hostname_ho.domainname.local'
We have various branches connected to our main branch, but one of the domain controller from one of the small branches is having issue and is not replicating with DCs in the main office. It is also generating the event ID #4: "The kerberos client received a KRB_AP_ERR_MODIFIED error from the server host/name_host.domainname.local. The target name used was host2/ name.host.domainname.local. This indicates that the password used to encrypt the kerberos service ticket is different than that on the target server. Commonly, this is due to identically named server accounts in the tar...

How can you bulk delete failed emails?
I have a client that uses a third party to "SPAM" messages out to the public from their email list out of CRM. They just sent me an Excel spreadsheet with a list of about 30 emails that failed on the marketing endeavor. Is there a way for CRM to look up these failed email addresses and remove them from the appropriate accounts so that they do not try to send to them again? write a custom application which looks for failed emails and deletes them using crm sdk. Then use windows task scheduler or create a service to call your application on a specified period, once a day or ev...

Newbie using CCeDBDatabase, Assertion failed! AppName: File wcedb.cpp, Line 901
Hi, I am a seasoned C++ writer with very little knowledge of Databases I am trying to use the simplest database construct in MFC. I just want to load stuff into a database at the beggining of the application then be able to query it for stuff during the applications lifetime. It looked like CCeDBDatabase was the easiest since there is an example that comes with MFC. I am using Pocket PC 2002. I have written the code below and the 1st "if" clause can't create the database. I have declared the database in the ".h" file. When I comment the 1st "if" clause out. I...

Integration Manager
I have a customer integration which runs fine the first time. If I re-run it it fails with the following message: Beginning integration... DOC 1 ERROR: Internet Information for Address 'PRIMARY' already exists; cannot insert. Integration Failed The destination edit mode is set to Insert and Update. You want to take out the your address information for the integration manager on the next reruns. There are certain fields that will work with integration manager only once. After the first run, the field is then a Key field on another table, in this case the "Address ID" fi...

XML Schema problem : "Validate failed because the document does not contain exactly one root node"
Well, I'm with a strange problem here... I Have an Application in VC++ 6 and I need to load a XML file;This XML file has a XDS Schema validating it. I'm using MSXml4. Well, when I use the XML Spy with the two files, no problem , the XML file is validated. So I go to the VC and try to load, using the DOM to do it...ok, I can load and validate the file in both ways, with the put_validateOnParse(I'm using raw_interfaces_only) and with the validate() method. So, I Modify the XML file, taking off one simple letter, eg. changing the attribute name "Description" to "Desc...

Protecting a certain cell in Excel
I am using formulas to get averages , standard deviation and other figurers... I want to be able to lock the cell so others cannot change my formula but be able to change certain values to get averages and other information .... I was trying to use the protection under tools to no hope... any help would be appreciated Hi to enable worksheet protection you need to - choose all the cells that you want to be able to change - choose format / cell / protection - untick "locked", click OK - choose tools / protection / protect sheet ... OK now you can change the cells you s...

password protecting personal folders in outlook 2003 won't work
I've tried to password protect my personal folders in outlook 2003 by right clicking on the personal folder, select properties and then put a password in, but it doens't work. Does anyone know how to password protect personal folders in outlook 2003. "dawnnolan" <dawnnolan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0F4C6B26-613F-44B6-ACBE-78DE262C8BAC@microsoft.com... > I've tried to password protect my personal folders in outlook 2003 by right > clicking on the personal folder, select properties and then put a password > in, but it do...

Install 3.0 Failed
I am in the process of installing 3.0 on a server. All of the inital checks are fine. I proceed to install and it fails with an error "Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.CreateSetupUserAction failed HRESULT 0x80040237" I searched the Knowledge Base and found KB 941498. I did what it said but got the following error for msxml2.dll - LoadLibrary("msxml2.dll") failed. The specified module could not be found. How do I go about getting XML 2 (the parser I'm guessing) when it hasn't be supported in years? Is there something else I can do? I am installing 3.0...

windows server 2003 SP2 failed with error 0x800703e7.
i am traying to install windows server 2003 SP2 from WSUS failed with error 0x800703e7. same i am traying to install manualy giveing "Installtion failed" Error. Hello Manish, 0x800703e7 can belong to a corrupted/broken disk, run chkdsk first and see if this helps: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb491051.aspx Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm ...