File Backup failed on Win2003 cluster

Hi,

we have a protection group that backs up three folders which are on a
failover cluster (Win2003). It was working fine, but then following error
started to appear:

Recovery point creation jobs for Volume F:\ have been failing. The number of
failed recovery point creation jobs = 18.
If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details
to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed.  (ID
3114)
Cannot create a recovery point because of a transient problem. (ID 215
Details: Unknown error (0x80042306) (0x80042306))
Recommended action:
1) Check recent records from the VolSnap source in the Application Event Log
to find out why the problem occurred.
2) Retry the operation.

There are no messages in the event log, and retrying doesn't help.
Any ideas why backups fail?

Thanks,
Peteris

Hi,
do you see any other error event at the same time. can you create a shadow
copy using "vssadmin create shadow" outside of DPM successfully.

--
Thanks,
C.Prashanth [MSFT]

"Peter.E" <PeterE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> we have a protection group that backs up three folders which are on a
> failover cluster (Win2003). It was working fine, but then following error
> started to appear:

> Recovery point creation jobs for Volume F:\ have been failing. The number
> of
> failed recovery point creation jobs = 18.
> If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details
> to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed.
> (ID
> 3114)
> Cannot create a recovery point because of a transient problem. (ID 215
> Details: Unknown error (0x80042306) (0x80042306))
> Recommended action:
> 1) Check recent records from the VolSnap source in the Application Event
> Log
> to find out why the problem occurred.
> 2) Retry the operation.
>

> There are no messages in the event log, and retrying doesn't help.
> Any ideas why backups fail?
>
> Thanks,
> Peteris

Hi Peter,
- Do you have a specific repro for this issue like after failover etc?
- Can you please check the events under System for Volsnap and NTFS errors
and
 check the recommended action as given?
- Please reply back if that still didnt solve the issue.

Thanks,
GeethaKrishna [MSFT]
** As is provided without warranties and confers no rights **

"C.Prashanth [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
> do you see any other error event at the same time. can you create a shadow
> copy using "vssadmin create shadow" outside of DPM successfully.
>
> --
> Thanks,
> C.Prashanth [MSFT]
> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
>
> "Peter.E" <PeterE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > we have a protection group that backs up three folders which are on a
> > failover cluster (Win2003). It was working fine, but then following error
> > started to appear:

> > Recovery point creation jobs for Volume F:\ have been failing. The number
> > of
> > failed recovery point creation jobs = 18.
> > If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details
> > to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed.
> > (ID
> > 3114)
> > Cannot create a recovery point because of a transient problem. (ID 215
> > Details: Unknown error (0x80042306) (0x80042306))
> > Recommended action:
> > 1) Check recent records from the VolSnap source in the Application Event
> > Log
> > to find out why the problem occurred.
> > 2) Retry the operation.
> >

> > There are no messages in the event log, and retrying doesn't help.
> > Any ideas why backups fail?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Peteris

Hi,

sorry for not getting back to You sooner.

Answer to the first post is as follows - if a run "vssadmin create shadow"
outside of dpm then it completes successfully.

I don't know why it this task started to fail, now it fails on both cluster
nodes. There are no events written in the application/system log when the
task is running/failing.

Should I recreate the protection group/

thanks,
Peter

"GeethaKrishna [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi Peter,
> - Do you have a specific repro for this issue like after failover etc?
> - Can you please check the events under System for Volsnap and NTFS errors
> and
>  check the recommended action as given?
> - Please reply back if that still didnt solve the issue.
>
> Thanks,
> GeethaKrishna [MSFT]
> ** As is provided without warranties and confers no rights **
>

> "C.Prashanth [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > do you see any other error event at the same time. can you create a shadow
> > copy using "vssadmin create shadow" outside of DPM successfully.
> >
> > --
> > Thanks,
> > C.Prashanth [MSFT]
> > This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
> >
> > "Peter.E" <PeterE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > we have a protection group that backs up three folders which are on a
> > > failover cluster (Win2003). It was working fine, but then following error
> > > started to appear:

> > > Recovery point creation jobs for Volume F:\ have been failing. The number
> > > of
> > > failed recovery point creation jobs = 18.
> > > If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on the Error Details
> > > to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation failed.
> > > (ID
> > > 3114)
> > > Cannot create a recovery point because of a transient problem. (ID 215
> > > Details: Unknown error (0x80042306) (0x80042306))
> > > Recommended action:
> > > 1) Check recent records from the VolSnap source in the Application Event
> > > Log
> > > to find out why the problem occurred.
> > > 2) Retry the operation.
> > >

> > > There are no messages in the event log, and retrying doesn't help.
> > > Any ideas why backups fail?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Peteris

Hi,
are there other protection groups on the same dpm which is encountering the
same problem?
Is this happening on DPM 2007 or DPM 2010?

--

> Hi,
> >
> sorry for not getting back to You sooner.
>
> Answer to the first post is as follows - if a run "vssadmin create shadow"
> outside of dpm then it completes successfully.
>
> I don't know why it this task started to fail, now it fails on both
> cluster
> nodes. There are no events written in the application/system log when the
> task is running/failing.
>
> Should I recreate the protection group/
>
> thanks,
> Peter
>
> "GeethaKrishna [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Hi Peter,
>> - Do you have a specific repro for this issue like after failover etc?
>> - Can you please check the events under System for Volsnap and NTFS
>> errors
>> and
>>  check the recommended action as given?
>> - Please reply back if that still didnt solve the issue.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> GeethaKrishna [MSFT]
>> ** As is provided without warranties and confers no rights **
>>

>> "C.Prashanth [MSFT]" wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> > do you see any other error event at the same time. can you create a
>> > shadow
>> > copy using "vssadmin create shadow" outside of DPM successfully.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Thanks,
>> > C.Prashanth [MSFT]
>> > This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no
>> > rights
>> >
>> > "Peter.E" <PeterE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Hi,

This is the only protection group with such error.

We are using DPM 2007.

Thanks,
Peter

"C.Prashanth [MSFT]" wrote:

> Hi,
> are there other protection groups on the same dpm which is encountering the
> same problem?
> Is this happening on DPM 2007 or DPM 2010?
>

> --
> Thanks,
> C.Prashanth [MSFT]
> This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
>
> "Peter.E" <PeterE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > >
> > sorry for not getting back to You sooner.
> >
> > Answer to the first post is as follows - if a run "vssadmin create shadow"
> > outside of dpm then it completes successfully.
> >
> > I don't know why it this task started to fail, now it fails on both
> > cluster
> > nodes. There are no events written in the application/system log when the
> > task is running/failing.
> >
> > Should I recreate the protection group/
> >
> > thanks,
> > Peter
> >
> > "GeethaKrishna [MSFT]" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Peter,
> >> - Do you have a specific repro for this issue like after failover etc?
> >> - Can you please check the events under System for Volsnap and NTFS
> >> errors
> >> and
> >>  check the recommended action as given?
> >> - Please reply back if that still didnt solve the issue.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> GeethaKrishna [MSFT]
> >> ** As is provided without warranties and confers no rights **

Sorry for posting with different user, the information provided above is
correct.

Thanks,
Peter

"Gatis Gailis" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the only protection group with such error.
>
> We are using DPM 2007.
>
> Thanks,
> Peter
>
> "C.Prashanth [MSFT]" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > are there other protection groups on the same dpm which is encountering the
> > same problem?
> > Is this happening on DPM 2007 or DPM 2010?
> >

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > C.Prashanth [MSFT]
> > This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights
> >
> > "Peter.E" <PeterE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > sorry for not getting back to You sooner.
> > >
> > > Answer to the first post is as follows - if a run "vssadmin create shadow"
> > > outside of dpm then it completes successfully.
> > >
> > > I don't know why it this task started to fail, now it fails on both
> > > cluster
> > > nodes. There are no events written in the application/system log when the
> > > task is running/failing.
> > >
> > > Should I recreate the protection group/
> > >
> > > thanks,
> > > Peter

Hi,
 Thank you for writing on the issue. Your scenario requires further
 investigation including the collection of additional diagnostic data. The
 Microsoft Support team is equipped to deal gather this data and perform
 initial triage on the problem. Please open a case with Microsoft Support
 for
 this, as we also want to see this pursued and resolved.

 You can do so via a phone call or an e-mail. The details are available
 here:
 http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?ln=en-us&prid=11802&gprid=530712If you have any issues with this process or if Microsoft Support is unable to resolve your issue feel free to follow-up with me.--Thanks,C.Prashanth [MSFT]This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights"Peter.E" <PeterE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in messagenews:9BE6BB43-4AE2-40CA-AE24-DCEA46AC8F79@microsoft.com...> Sorry for posting with different user, the information provided above is> correct.>> Thanks,> Peter>> "Gatis Gailis" wrote:>>> Hi,>>>> This is the only protection group with such error.>>>> We are using DPM 2007.>>>> Thanks,>> Peter>>>> "C.Prashanth [MSFT]" wrote:>>>> > Hi,>> > are there other protection groups on the same dpm which is encounteringthe>> > same problem?>> > Is this happening on DPM 2007 or DPM 2010?>> >>> >>> > -->> > Thanks,>> > C.Prashanth [MSFT]>> > This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers norights>> >>> > "Peter.E" <PeterE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message>> > news:51EB0C13-5366-45A4-B1B4-C2085FDA8408@microsoft.com...>> > > Hi,>> > > >>> > > sorry for not getting back to You sooner.>> > >>> > > Answer to the first post is as follows - if a run "vssadmin createshadow">> > > outside of dpm then it completes successfully.>> > >>> > > I don't know why it this task started to fail, now it fails on both>> > > cluster>> > > nodes. There are no events written in the application/system log whenthe>> > > task is running/failing.>> > >>> > > Should I recreate the protection group/>> > >>> > > thanks,>> > > Peter>> > >>> > > "GeethaKrishna [MSFT]" wrote:>> > >>> > >> Hi Peter,>> > >> - Do you have a specific repro for this issue like after failoveretc?>> > >> - Can you please check the events under System for Volsnap and NTFS>> > >> errors>> > >> and>> > >>  check the recommended action as given?>> > >> - Please reply back if that still didnt solve the issue.>> > >>>> > >> Thanks,>> > >> GeethaKrishna [MSFT]>> > >> ** As is provided without warranties and confers no rights **>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> > >>>> > >> "C.Prashanth [MSFT]" wrote:>> > >>>> > >> > Hi,>> > >> > do you see any other error event at the same time. can you createa>> > >> > shadow>> > >> > copy using "vssadmin create shadow" outside of DPM successfully.>> > >> >>> > >> > -->> > >> > Thanks,>> > >> > C.Prashanth [MSFT]>> > >> > This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confersno>> > >> > rights>> > >> >>> > >> > "Peter.E" <PeterE@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message>> > >> > news:A7EC6B2E-A419-46A6-AE10-E3AD8058A547@microsoft.com...>> > >> > > Hi,>> > >> > >>> > >> > > we have a protection group that backs up three folders which areon a>> > >> > > failover cluster (Win2003). It was working fine, but thenfollowing>> > >> > > error>> > >> > > started to appear:>> > >> > >>> > >> > > Description:>> > >> > > Recovery point creation jobs for Volume F:\ have been failing.The>> > >> > > number>> > >> > > of>> > >> > > failed recovery point creation jobs = 18.>> > >> > > If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on theError>> > >> > > Details>> > >> > > to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation>> > >> > > failed.>> > >> > > (ID>> > >> > > 3114)>> > >> > > Cannot create a recovery point because of a transient problem.(ID>> > >> > > 215>> > >> > > Details: Unknown error (0x80042306) (0x80042306))>> > >> > > Recommended action:>> > >> > > 1) Check recent records from the VolSnap source in theApplication>> > >> > > Event>> > >> > > Log>> > >> > > to find out why the problem occurred.>> > >> > > 2) Retry the operation.>> > >> > >>> > >> > >>> > >> > > There are no messages in the event log, and retrying doesn'thelp.>> > >> > > Any ideas why backups fail?>> > >> > >>> > >> > > Thanks,>> > >> > > Peteris>> > >> >
Hi,

Thanks for advice.

The problem is solved now.  The task failed for 25 times and then succeeded
somehow. So this is no more an issue.

Regards,
Peter

"C.Prashanth [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> number>> > >> > > of>> > >> > > failed recovery point creation jobs = 18.>> > >> > > If the datasource protected is SharePoint, then click on theError>> > >> > > Details>> > >> > > to view the list of databases for which recovery point creation>> > >> > > failed.>> > >> > > (ID>> > >> > > 3114)>> > >> > > Cannot create a recovery point because of a transient problem.(ID>> > >> > > 215>> > >> > > Details: Unknown error (0x80042306) (0x80042306))>> > >> > > Recommended action:>> > >> > > 1) Check recent records from the VolSnap source in theApplication>> > >> > > Event>> > >> > > Log>> > >> > > to find out why the problem occurred.>> > >> > > 2) Retry the operation.>> > >> > >>> > >> > >>> > >> > > There are no messages in the event log, and retrying doesn'thelp.>> > >> > > Any ideas why backups fail?>> > >> > >>> > >> > > Thanks,>> > >> > > Peteris>> > >> >

Backup DNS
Hi , I have a 2003 Server with DNS installed How can i backup DNS (non Active Directory-integrated)? Thanks You'll find the zone files (as text files) in %SystemRoot%\System32\DNS\ Configuration is stored in the registry under: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\DNS You might export that, or you might rely on the system state. Chris ZIDAC wrote: > Hi , > > I have a 2003 Server with DNS installed > > How can i backup DNS (non Active Directory-integrated)? > > Thanks > xcopy %systemroot%\system32\dns destina...

automatically naming files for savingb

Failed to open mmf error appears
A pop up window appears with the message 'failed to oepn mmf'. I assume it is referring to Microsoft mail format. What could be triggering this error. What version of Outlook, and when do you see this error? EllenB wrote: > A pop up window appears with the message 'failed to oepn > mmf'. I assume it is referring to Microsoft mail format. > > > What could be triggering this error. >-----Original Message----- >What version of Outlook, and when do you see this error? > >EllenB wrote: >> A pop up window appears with the message 'fail...

HELP
We have an application that is used by over 8000 people worldwide. One of our users is just starting to have the following problem: Run-time error '-2147467259(80004005)': Method 'Add' of object 'CommandBarControls' failed I have read that this problem can be caused by trying to open the file in Internet Explorer. The user has told me that she has tried opening MS Excel and then the .xls file and she still gets the same problem when the file is trying to open. She is the only one that has had this problem. Could there be something wrong with her Excel settings or som...

Recovering Contacts from BackUp Exec
I need to recover a contacts file from Backup Exec into Exchange but, the contacts file is from an older version of Exchange (2000 small business) and the backup was taken using an older version of Backup Exec (Version8.5), and I've since upgraded our Exchange to Enterprise 2003. While Backup Exec 8.5 allows me to redirect the files, I would like to know if any has anyone had any experience of a similar scenario? I suspect this will work, but don't wish to take any chances. Any help would be appreciated. Mark. "contacts file "? Do you mean the contacts...

Deleted file in Outlook
I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it possible to retreive it. Thank you, Karl youthminman@yahoo.com <youthminman@yahoo.com> wrote: > I accidentaly deleted a folder in Outlook 2003 and am wondering if it > possible to retreive it. Unless you permanently deleted it (i.e., held down Shift when pressing Delete), it will be in your Deleted items folder, unless you've emptied that folder. If you have emptied it, other suggestions depend on knowing what data store you're using (PST or Exchange mailbox). -- Brian Tillman ...

MS Outllook 2003 with Business Contact Manager Backup/Restores
Need some help with what the procedure is to backup Business Contact Manager data from a single user license system and restore it on another backup system I have. This needs to include the opportunities and other data linkages made on the system being backed up. Tried doing an export / import but based on some info I saw on the MS Office Web site this won't work! Would appreciate any help! There is a backup/restore function for the BCM database on the file menu. -- Guy Lapierre www.forefrontbusinesssolutions.com "WHY" <Hnyda@mindspring.com> wrote in message n...

XML File Converter for MS 2004
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: intel I'm a high school teacher. I write power points on MS 2004 on my Mac and transfer them to my school's PC that has MS 2003. This worked great, with exception of minor formatting changes, until a month ago. Power points that I previously opened on that PC, along with new ones, would not open - this is disasterous for instruction. My tech says 1) the school's PC may have had updates that caused the new problem and 2) that I should install the Open XML File Converter for Mac's MS 2004. I'm concerned tha...

Offline defrag failing
Hi All, SBS2003Prem Exchange Server 2003 SP2 Disk Free Space = 68Gb Exchange DB size < 10Gb I am trying to run an offline defrag of the exchange database using ESEUTIL as follows: ESEUTIL /D /P "D:\Program Files\Exchsrvr\MDBDATA\Priv1.EDB" Every time I run it, it gets about 10% of the way through, and then dies with the following error: "Operation terminated with error -2102 (JET_errCallbackNotResolved, A callback function could not be found" In addition I get jcb.dll errors (jcb.dll not found). I have tried the following: - With and without the /P option - ...

how do I transfer file from Clipboard to an e-mail message
How do I transfer a file from Outlook clipboard or C drive to the body of an e-mail message NOT as an attachment. thanks you would need to open the file and copy the contents. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook newsletter: EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOF...

email failing to recieve from POP3 server
I am having problems recieving email from 2 diffirent POP3 servers. The following is the error message that pop up for both POP 3 accounts (different servers). I have no problem sending. The error message: Task 'Quikserve - Sending and Receiving' reported error (0x80042108): 'Outlook is unable to connect to your incoming (POP3) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP). Thank You for any help or suggestions. ...

Transferring files to a new computer
Hi - I'm in the process of configuring my new Windows XP with MSFT Small Biz. I was running Windows 98 and using Outlook 2000. Now I want to copy all my old emails, folders, addresses etc. into the new version of Outlook 2003 but I can't seem to find it. It's not recognizing my saved files as .PST files. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks, daviskho "daviskho" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:052801c3dbb0$e46e5970$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hi - I'm in the process of configuring my new Windows XP > with MSFT Small Biz. ...

Too large to send, yet the file gets saved.
I noticed that a user's mailbox grew from 100KB to 400KB in a few days. This got my attention. I pokjed around and found that he had tried to zip a really big file and send it to his AOL account. (we won't talk about what was in that single file that would not compress al that well :-) ) The file was 161MB (obviously this is larger than global message delivery default) and it was in both his sent items and found in the bounce-back message from the system administrator: This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter messa...

Capital One giving me corrupt Money import files
Money is saying the files I get from Capital One credit card are corrupt. Some months import fine, while others I get an error. I try to get support from Capital One, but they keep giving me the runaround. Anything I can do with Money to get this to work? I have about 50 transactions a month and rather not input these manually! -Max Max, The problem is that there's a character in the statement you're getting from Capital One that Money is choking on. I've run in to the same issue...save the statement from Capital One to your hard drive and edit it by hand. Search for &qu...

jpg files
I have had several users experiencing problems opening pictures from Outlook 2000. Their O/S is XP Pro. Any ideas? Thank You, Jamie ...

OWA: Failed to get Inbox
I have checked all the TechNet tips and none have helped regarding accessing e-mail via OWA. I can access the login page and enter my alias. However after this point, I receive the message: "Failed to get Inbox". It must be a permissions issue but I don't know where it could be. OWA has been installed on a IIS Server and Exchange is on a physically different server. When installing OWA, I correctly entered the NetBIOS name of the Exchange server. However, I still can't get access. What else needs to be done? What version Exchange? -- Martin Blackstone MVP - Exchange htt...

Copying Very Large files
Would there be any performance gain if we used win2008R2 rather than Windows 7 at each end for copying large(2-5GB batches). -- Craig On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:56:55 -0600, "News" <nf@no.com> wrote: >Would there be any performance gain if we used win2008R2 rather than >Windows 7 at each end for copying large(2-5GB batches). > >-- Craig > I doubt it but the performance will differ in ways that depend upon the file size not just the total bytes. You may find some clues in http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/archive/2008/02/04/28261...

Help setting a File Name
hi experts I'm having trouble with the following: Cell J1 of Sheet1 contains a date, say Dec. 15, 2009. Sheet1 has a 'Save' button called cmbSave. When I click cbmSave, I'd like the SaveAs... dialog to be shown with the suggested File Name showing as 'POS_Summary_091215.xls' . In other words, I'd like the suggested file name to start with 'POS_Summary_', and to end with the J1 date in yymmdd format. Can this be done? thank you in advance Cinnie -- cinnie Sub newdate() Dim d As Date, s As String d = Range("J1").Va...

Web link to Excel 97 file
I've got a link to an Excel '97 file from a ColdFusion page. The link works fine the first time I click it. However, if I close the file down and click the link again, I get a message saying 'Cars.xls is being modified by (my user name). Would you like to open as read only?' I can open the file as read only, but am wondering why I get this message, even when I'm not modifying it? I've had other users try and it works the same way for them, except it tells them they're the one currently modifying it. We're using Internet Explorer 5.5 and Windows 20...

File/New in Excel
When I click on the menu item File/New or the toolbar button File/New I would like the New Dialog box to open instead of going to the Task Pane and then having to select "on my computer". Is there a way to do this? Hi AFAIK this is one of the wonderful new Excel 2003 features :-) No way around it (like the new *improved* help function) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany SDecou wrote: > When I click on the menu item File/New or the toolbar button File/New > I would like the New Dialog box to open instead of going to the Task > Pane and then having to select "...

Always check spelling before sending causes "operation failed"
If I have "Always check spelling before sending" enabled when users send e-mails, they get an error "Operation Failed". The spell checker works fine when you select it manually and if the option is unchecked the e-mail is sent fine. The option works fine for administrators, so I am sure it must be permissions somewhere on a registry key. Does any one have any idea's? What version of Outlook and are you using Outlook or Word as the e-mail editor? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Crea...