DPM SRT and DPM2010

Question,

Is DPMSRT integrated within DPM2010, because the DPM2010 download on
"Microsoft Pratner download" still contains a copy of DPM2007 DPMSRT.
With DPM2007, we installed DPMSRT on a different system from the DPM2007
server and we had to reserve extra diskspace on the remote system for
SRT backup info. Is this still the case with DPM2010, or is the
diskspace used for normal backup operations from DPM2010 also used for
DMPSRT purposes.

Thanks for your reply,
0
wasdanou

Found the answer on:
http://www.scdpmonline.org/dpm-2010-bare-metal-recovery.aspx

Op 20-5-2010 9:16, wasdanou schreef:
> Question,
>
> Is DPMSRT integrated within DPM2010, because the DPM2010 download on
> "Microsoft Pratner download" still contains a copy of DPM2007 DPMSRT.
> With DPM2007, we installed DPMSRT on a different system from the DPM2007
> server and we had to reserve extra diskspace on the remote system for
> SRT backup info. Is this still the case with DPM2010, or is the
> diskspace used for normal backup operations from DPM2010 also used for
> DMPSRT purposes.
>
> Thanks for your reply,

DPM 2010 RC co-locate SQL Server
I'm creating a protection group for SQL Server 2005 SP3 (CU8) with DPM 2010 RC. I have about 15-20 small databases and about 10-15 larger databases. When I create the protection group the option to co-locate is checked (and not gray), but when the protection group is created I end up with many 10gb disk partitions. Isn't co-location supposed to prevent that? I read that the default for co-location is 30 databases (how do I increase that?) so I tried hand picking the larger databases from the list rather than the auto option and only using those in my protection group....

DPM 2010 Beta Exchange Cluster Recovery
I am experiencing a problem in DPM 2010 Beta. I was attempting to verify that I was able to recover an Exchange Database from DPM. From the recovery tab I expand the Exchange cluster, and then expand the “All Protected Exchange Data”. I have 5 databases that are being backed up, when I click on any one of them DPM collapses all of the folders to only show the “Recoverable Data” folder with a plus next to it. Making it seem as though there is no data available to recover. Thanks, Bret Hi Bret, Yes, DPM collapses all the folders if there are no recovery points for that ...

Protect DPM 2007 Server with a DPM 2010 Server
Does anyone know if it is possible to (remote) protect a DPM 2007 Server with a DPM 2010 server? I tried but I cannot install the agent from the DPM 2010 server on the DPM 2007 server. I get the following error message: Install protection agent on SC-DPM.tss.nl failed: Error 274: Unable to configure security settings for SC-DPM2010 on the computer SC-DPM. Recommended action: Make sure that the user name and password you have provided has administrator privileges on the target computer. Of course I'm sure the account I am using has the right permissions. So my guess is tha...

DPM 2010 release dates
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could define what the current projected release dates for DPM 2010 are? I'm specifically looking for RC and RTM dates. I've heard that the RTM is now expected to ship in early summer and wanted to confirm. Here is an old information I gathered before. I am not sure it is still accurate. So lets wait for the DPM team's answer: http://santhoshsivarajan.blogspot.com/2009/12/dpm-2010-timeline.html -- Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications...

DPM use new tape daily
Dell PowerVault 124T Tape Library Problem We are running DPM 2007 with an attached Dell PowerVault 124T Tape Library. We have an 8 tape magazine set up for 2 protection groups. Each protection group is backing up to tape using a new tape daily. After 4 days, tape backups fail, as the tape library/DPM does not recognize any free tapes available. We have been unable to find a way to have a protection group reuse a tape until it is full (or not use a new tape daily). Here is the error from the Event log: The back up to tape job failed for the following reason: (ID: 3311) Fail...

DPM 2010 RTM (eval)
hi, following situation: (non productive!) SBS 2008 (Small Business Server) WIn 2008 R2, DPM 2010 RTM (eval) 1 Client WIn XP (SP3) 1 Client W7 Windows-Firewall is enabled on all Clients and Server. DPM works fine, but there are several problems with Client-Rollout (maybe Firewall-Config), Rollout on SBS was ok. 1st Problem: AD-Scan does not work: (The Computer are not listed, and must be attached manually) 2nd Problem: Installation works, if Windows-Firewall is disabled. (XP). This is no way for mass-rollout. - so i want to generate 2 GPs (one for XP-Client,...

Error 30101 and 24050 with DPM 2010
During backup (using DPM 2010 RC) of Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 servers I receive the errors 30101 or 24050. Is not every day the same servers and after encountering these errors the backup continues and other servers are being backuped without any problems. Using a HP Ultrium 3 tape-unit with LSI Ultra 320 SCSI controller in a HP ProLiant DL380 G5 server. Drivers / firmware / etc. are up-to-date ...

DPM to DPM backup... Protection Agent Installation Issue
I am trying to setup DPM to DPM backup in my environment. The issue I have ran into is that on my secondary DPM server, when I go to install the protection agent on the primary DPM server, the primary DPM server is not listed as an option for installation. They are both in the same domain. They can both ping each other. Both machines are Server 2008 R2 with DPM 2007 installed. The primary DPM server is not, and has never been, protected by another DPM server. Any ideas why it is not listed? Should I just do a manual install of the protection agent? Thanks in advance f...

DPM 2010 Beta Feedback
Pros -Automatic disk modifications is a necessity, thank you! -Automatic consistency checks when needed is very helpful, thank you! -Not having to reboot a machine to upgrade an agent, thank you! Needs - I would like to ability to colocate all data types -When recovering from tape in recovery tab, please provide details on barcode for tape that is required to restore data selected - Allow the ability, like Ops Mgr, to install the DPM console in remote locations (aka an administrators desktop/laptop) -Having to reboot an agent after installing, this is not an option for business...

DPM error 2033, the system cannot find the file specified
Hello all I'm running DPM 2007 to backup our Home Directories, about 25 millions files. Since 2 days, it always stop on an error 2033, "the system cannot find the file specified." It's not always the same file. Except from restarting the synchronization, what can I do ? I find this tool particularly weak, if it stops working because of this kind of error. Pierrot Thanks for your feedback. We have heard about this issue from multiple customers. In DPM 2010, we have added the ability to continue backup even if we see such failures. At the end of the backup,...

DPM 2010 fails to connect to attach agent in work groupe
Agent is installed and configured on the remote computer. And the computers can communicate with each other (ping on the server name). I also have on other server at the same LAN at this server resist on and that one is working fine. Getting this erro when trying to attatch the second serverthat i want to backup: Attach protected computer sea0720sweb2 failed: Error 32684: Unable to contact the protection agent on server sea0720sweb2. Recommended action: 1) Ensure that the above server name is accessible from the DPM server. 2) Ensure that the protection agent has been insta...

BUG: DPM 2010 RC
REPRO: -------- 1.) Setup 10 Hyper-V Childs on a High-End Server 2.) Install DPM2010 RA on these childs 3.) Wait for xx:00 / xx:30 and watch PerfMon 4.) DPM Service / TrustedInstaller will break RTC services for 1-5 seconds KEEP IN MIND: ----------------- - New Feature "Run a constistency check..." should be disabled for all PGs for RePro, because this generates well-known additional CPU load. This is out of focus. - No Issues if you use DPM 2007 instead. QUESTION: ------------- 1.) Is this a known Beta/RC issue which will be addressed with RTM? 2.) Can this &qu...

2nd DPM Server
Hello, I'm about to deploy my 2nd DPM server to protect my primary DPM server. Currently, my primary server is installed on a Windows 2008 SP2 Server, and I was going to install Windows 2008 R2 on the secondary server. One of the servers that is being protected by my primary DPM is Exchange 2007. Therefore I have the Exchange Management Tools installed on the primary dpm and hardlinked the eseutil.exe. My question is, do I need to install the Exchange Management Tools on my 2nd DPM server to protect my Exchange 2007 protection group? I'm asking this because Exchan...

Reporting Services error when reinstalling DPM 07
I'm in the process of upgrading DPM 2007 to 2010. I did the O/S upgrade from 2003 to 2008 Server. Now I'm trying to re-install DPM 2007 and I can't get past the prerequisite check. The error is below: Setup has detected that the installation of Reporting Services is not correctly configured or no instance of Reporting Services is linked to of SQL Server. 1)To use the local dedicated MS$DPM2007$ instance with DPM, uninstall SQL Server and run setup again. 2)To use the option of installing DPM with an existing instance of SQL Server, make sure that the Reporting ...

DPM 2010 RC
BUG REPRO: When installing Agents using the Wizard, if any of the selected target systems are offline the Wizard Freezes, then reports it cannot access the systems and provide a listing of the systems it cannot Access. Once the error is recognized (click on 'OK') the wizard Halts and does not go forward. Issues: 1. Selected Systems must all be online or Wizard fails to install online systems. Instead the Admin must document the systems it reported were offline, and then go back in the wizard and deselect the systems that are offline. Expected Result: Expect t...

Agent not reachable error on Secondary DPM Server
Hi, We have two DPM 2007 Servers operating within our company. We had an issue with one of our file servers and therefore had to reinstall the DPM agent via the DPM Agent tab. This server is backed up on the primary DPM server and then again on the secondary for redundancy. The primary server can see the DPM agent no problem and is backing up as expected. The secondary server is backing up the data as usual, however it is continuious alerting the fact that the agent isn't reachable. How can I resolve this problem? Thanks in advance. Hi David thanks for reaching the n...

DPM 2010 beta install fails on SQL 2008
I have a freshly installed copy of Server 2008 64 bit running on Hyper-V. Installed all the updates/patches and then moved on to DPM 2010 beta. The install fails at the SQL server 2008 portion with Unknown Error (0x84be0bc2). Here is the DPM install log [12/8/2009 2:16:05 PM] * Exception : => The SQL Server 2008 installation failed. All changes made by the SQL Server 2008 installation to the system were rolled back.Review the log file for failures and take the appropriate action. Uninstall SQL Server 2008 using Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. Then run DPM Setup...

DPM 2010 RC version number
Can someone tell me what is the official version number of the DPM 2010 RC? I don't currently have it installed and need the version number info for my documentation. Thanks! Hi John, Its 3.0.7558.0 Thanks Anurag [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "John H" <JohnH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7841FD19-1C94-471F-B786-DCDDD516107F@microsoft.com... > Can someone tell me what is the official version number of the DPM 2010 > RC? I > don't currently have it installed an...

DPM 2010 RC Email Notifications
My email notifications are not working. They were working just fine in 2010 Beta. On the SMTP tab with server, port, from address filled in I can successfully send a test email with username/password entered in 'Authenticated SMTP Server'. But no actual notifications are sent. If I switch over to the Notifications tab and hit 'Send Test Notification' it gives me "An authentication error occurred when trying to connect to the SMTP server. (ID 518). My SMTP server (Exchange 2007) does not require authentication fo me to send email notifications. I posted s...

SRT is useless junk
Sorry to have to say this but it just is. Been battling with this for ages now and just cannot make it work. The process of creating the images seems very hit and miss, with some schedules simply ignored with no errors or information as to why. Even when an image is taken successfully, I'm completely unable to get a boot client disc working with the network drivers, despite being the very common Realtek 8168/8111 drivers which should really be part of the inbuilt set. I therefore have no functional BMR solution and no help is forthcoming on this from either this group or the...

Unlocking DPM tape library
How to unlock a library? I've followed all the MS support suggestions using the shell. In the GUI it is grayed out. Below is an example of the error message. I've tried every combination. 1st-Exmpl: PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> $DPMLib = Get-DPMLibrary -DPMServerName "wpi5stg" PS C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\bin> Unlock-DPMLibraryDoor -DPMLibrary $DPMLib Unlock-DPMLibraryDoor : Cannot convert 'System.Object[]' to the type 'Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.O bjectModel.LibraryManagement.Library' requir...

Offsite primary DPM server?
Is is possible to just have one (primary) DPM server offsite (as opposed to having a primary DPM server onsite and a secondary one offsite)? If so, what ports would have to be forwarded on the routers at each end? An application for this configuration would be a small business where "offsite" would be an owner's home. Hi, you can look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808766.aspx for the list -- Thanks, C.Prashanth [MSFT] This posting is provided “AS IS” with no warranties, and confers no rights "Sejong" <Sejong@discussions.mi...

DPM 2010 RC Backups Seem to Crash Cluster Service
Hi, We are protecting a number of HyperV (2008 R2 Enterprise) hosts using DPM 2010 RC, we have two clusters of 4 nodes with each node running 4 virtual machines. Our storage is on a Netapp 3140 connected via Emulex HBAs, and all the servers run the Netapp DSM 3.3.1, NetApp host utils 5.2 and Snapdrive 6.2. Everything seems fine under normal conditions and when we create recovery points manually but when our sheduled DPM backups run at 8PM we find that the server appears to reboot and all of the guests on the node affected move to another node, however the reboot doesn't ap...

DPM encountered a retryable VSS error backing Hyper-V Guest
Hello i am having problems backing up a Windows 2003 I386 SP2 Guest on Windows 2008 SP1 Clustered Hyper V Host. I have tried rebooting the guest and the host, Reinstalling Hyper V Additions and removing the replica from the DPM server. But i still cant backup the guest. Event Type: Error Event Source: DPM-EM Event Category: None Event ID: 2 Date: 24/11/2009 Time: 08:44:11 User: N/A Computer: *** Description: The replica of Backup Using Child Partition *** is inconsistent with the protected data source. All protection activities for data source will fail until the ...

DPM 2010 Support for File Groups in SQL
Hello, My DBA is using file groups with SQL Server 2005 and SQL 2008. DPM 2007 does not support backing up databases across file groups. Does DPM 2010 provide this support? Thank you very much, Hi Tim, What is the error you get when you try to backup such databases using DPM? If the database contains file groups which are unique to that database, DPM should be able to backup such a database. -- Sai Peyyeti [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. --------------------------------------------- "Tim Lytle" <Tim...