DPM and VMM on same server using side-by-side SQL installation

Windows 2008 Std R2 Server, 64bit
VMM 2007 is currently installed (with the built-in default database) SQL
2005 Express Edition, SP3, 32bit.
I was advised by Microsoft that both VMM and DPM could be installed on the
same server (small DR environment)
The VMs are hosted on a Windows 2008 Enterprise Server w/ VS2005R2 - because
the hardware didn't support HyperV.
VMM works great to manage the Windows 2008 VS2005R2 Host running Win2K3
server instances ... after lots of trial and error.

Now, I need to install DPM 2007 onto the same server... DPM wants to install
the 64bit version of SQL 2005 and SQL Reporting Services.
Manual installs of SQL 2005 64bit and Reporting Services worked.  Both SQL
server and Reporting Services are started and working.
But the DPM 2007 prerequisite checker fails to pass SQL Reporting service
pre-req.

I'm not sure why the DPM 2007 won't pass the prerequisite SQL Reporting
Services check even though it's running.
I don't want to use a remote SQL instance because this is a DR environment
and I want the databases locally.

How can VMM 2007 and DPM 2007 run on the same server, using 1 or 2 local SQL
servers (i.e. share a SQL server, 32 or 64 bit)?
I've lost almost a week trying to troubleshoot this - do you have any ideas?
 Has this been tested?

Thanks
Allison

If you are installing DPM pre-requisite manually, make sure to follow this
article

What error message are you getting?

--
Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA
Houston, TX

"Allison Sutherland" <AllisonSutherland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:6576FA93-8EE5-40C2-9187-4F0BF044E637@microsoft.com...
> Windows 2008 Std R2 Server, 64bit
> VMM 2007 is currently installed (with the built-in default database) SQL
> 2005 Express Edition, SP3, 32bit.
> I was advised by Microsoft that both VMM and DPM could be installed on the
> same server (small DR environment)
> The VMs are hosted on a Windows 2008 Enterprise Server w/ VS2005R2 -
> because
> the hardware didn't support HyperV.
> VMM works great to manage the Windows 2008 VS2005R2 Host running Win2K3
> server instances ... after lots of trial and error.
>
> Now, I need to install DPM 2007 onto the same server... DPM wants to
> install
> the 64bit version of SQL 2005 and SQL Reporting Services.
> Manual installs of SQL 2005 64bit and Reporting Services worked.  Both SQL
> server and Reporting Services are started and working.
> But the DPM 2007 prerequisite checker fails to pass SQL Reporting service
> pre-req.
>
> I'm not sure why the DPM 2007 won't pass the prerequisite SQL Reporting
> Services check even though it's running.
> I don't want to use a remote SQL instance because this is a DR environment
> and I want the databases locally.
>
> How can VMM 2007 and DPM 2007 run on the same server, using 1 or 2 local
> SQL
> servers (i.e. share a SQL server, 32 or 64 bit)?
> I've lost almost a week trying to troubleshoot this - do you have any
> ideas?
> Has this been tested?
>
> Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks
> Allison

0
Santhosh

Can't install Publisher
I'm having a tough time installing MS Publisher 2003 in VHP. I get a 1402 error which pertains to a certain registry key in myt Vista registry. I'm supposed to change the permissions in this key but in Vista Home Premium I can't seem to do that. Anybody have any suggestions? Did you try method 4 in the support document? You receive an error message when you install an Office program or open an Office program or document http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687/en-us If this is not the document, where did you get the security information? This is a permission issue, you migh...

GP 8.0 + SQL Server 2000 SP4 (installing SP 4)
Hello there, We have running the GP 8.0 on a SQL Server 2000 database with no service pack. I've just downloaded the SQL Server 2000 SP 4 and I'm planning to upgrade the database. I'm concerning as to whether or not there might be side effects on the GP functionality if I install the SQL Server SP 4. Is it safe to make this upgrade ? or Are there some technical issues ? Thanks in advance. Kind regards Cesar I've been running sp4 for months with GP 8, sp2, and I've had no problems. ...

Hosted Project Server 2007 / 2010
Hi- Anyone currently using a hosted instance of Project Server 2007? I would be interested in your experiences regarding how well the solution is working for you has it been cheaper than hosting internally your experiences re service packs, CUs, server patch levels etc. vendor resopnse to issues connectivity issues customizability (can you do your own or does vendor need to do them) security backup / restore surprises (hidden costs, inability to do expected functions) We are seriously looking at the costs of moving to 2010 (Sharepoint Enterprise CALS, etc.) and hosting may b...

Good uses for triggers?
What are some [good/useful] was to use triggers? I need concrete examples so I can evaluate my reasons for using triggers. So far, I have 2 of them: 1. Return all of, or part of the resultset that was modified (insert/delete tables). 2. Automatically modify a column, or set of columns whenever an action on the table takes place. Right now, it is the well known cookie cutter "last updated/modified timestamp" example. Is there any other typical examples/reasons to use them? Andy I have been trying to avoiud using triggers as much as I can. However triggeers ha...

CRM SBS install and uninstall error
The install (reinstall) or uninstall MS CRM 3.0 on SBS2003 Premium does not work. During "Executing Install (or Uninstall) action" I receive Warning: "Failed to remove the Microsoft CRM-Fax Router Service" and then Error: "System.Exception: Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.RegisterFaxService failed." "The configuration registry key is invalid". How can I uninstall CRM completely or install it properly? Help me please. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Regards Renio ...

I can't get Outlook to connect to an IMAP4 server
I'm trying to connect Outlook 2000 SP3 (Windows XP Pro, all patches installed, 700 MHz Pentium III, 320 Mb RAM) to Mercury/32 v. 4.01 (Windows 2000 Pro, all patches installed, 350 MHz, 416 Mb RAM). The machines are on a small network running Ethernet (100Base-T full duplex) using a Linksys router/switch. The IMAP server PC has a static IP (192.168.1.222) - the Outlook machine does not. I know that the static IP is correct - can connect to Mercury's HTTP server by pointing Internet Explorer 6 at the IP. I have two problems: 1. When I create an IMAP account, I do not get an...

how do I change installation path after initial install.
I have installed Exchange 2003 on the c: drive (C:\Program Files\Exchsvr) I now want to change it to the D: drive. When I go through the setup wizard and select the install from "none" to "change" (or anything else) The path is greyed out and I can't change the path. Is there a way to do this without removing and reinstalling? There was a tool in 5.5 to do this... Rob "Rob" <send no spam@nk.com> wrote: >I have installed Exchange 2003 on the c: drive (C:\Program Files\Exchsvr) >I now want to change it to the D: drive. > >When I go thro...

Multi-Server jobs do not run on master server MSX
Hello I defined one of my server as master server (MSX) for multi-server jobs. 3 other servers (in fact: instances) are defined as target. My problem is that some jobs are defined as Multi-Server jobs, but I cannot make them run on the MSX, except if I also create the same job for local use, which I think is a bit stupid. Of course, I cannot enlist a target as master. So how to make jobs that run locally AND on targets ? Pierrot ...

server error 03-01-10
i keep getting this error and i dont know how to fix it The host 'pop3' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'Windowa Mail', Server: 'pop3', Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D "d" <d@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:906AB3BC-7B68-42EB-8A09-45A341BECD31@microsoft.com... >i keep getting this error and i dont know how to fix it > > The host 'pop3' could not be found. Please verify that you have en...

Installing Service Packs on Exchange Server 2003
Have one Exchange 2003 front End server and two Exchange 2003 back end servers. Have not installed any service packs on these systems yet. Just got OK from change control board to install these. Just wanted to know what would be the best process to install these ? Do I need to go to SP1 first then SP2 or does SP2 contain SP1 updates as well? Do I do the front end server first? Thanks! On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:58:02 -0700, D303M <D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Have one Exchange 2003 front End server and two Exchange 2003 back end >servers. Have not installed any s...

using Access Data
I have a slight problem with Charts in Excel & Access. I'm creating charts that can use up to 50,000 data points (if not more) and in Excel there is significant lag time (up to 2 minutes just to rescale an axis or change the title). I decided to try and use Access to organize the data, but creating a chart in Access is a pain because there is a 4000 data point limit per series (really stupid). My question is: Is there a way to link the data from Access to an Excel chart without importing the data (importing would just cause my initial problem)? I do know some basic...

How do I change the color of the drop down arrow when using the a.
How do I change the color of the drop down arrow when using the autofilter option in Excel 2000. You don't. You could use a different Theme in Windows>Display>Appearance but that would affect all applications. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 14:42:26 -0800, "SouthBay588" <SouthBay588@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I change the color of the drop down arrow when using the autofilter >option in Excel 2000. Interesting question. But what is wrong with the default color? What is the use of getting another color? Just a matter of esthet...

Using this News Group
I would appreciate it if someone could tell me if I have a setup problem on my computer or there is sometimes a problem with this news group when I access it IE7. After I sign in and see an item that I want to reply to, I press on reply. After I clicked on the reply sometimes the window pos up and I am all set to reply the way I expect other times I get no response or I just get the same message that I was looking at. Anyone else experiencing this issue? "neil154" <neil154@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A345E68D-C3B9-4FD8-8211-CACE1374C389@microso...

Use Cached Exchange Mode is "greyed out"
When using Outlook 2003 & Windows 2003 Terminal services the option for Use Cached Exchange Mode is "greyed out" even logged in as Administrator. Any Help Thanks Bill I don't believe it works on TS. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&num=30 "RX Bill"...

can i use filters to compare data instead of vlookup?
I have to compare membership lists to identify if customers belong to certain groups. Currently, I have been using Vlookup but I notice that there are too many nuisances. Could I use a filter to compare two membership lists and give me a more accurate answer? Maybe try setting up a new sheet with List1, and entering a new column indicating List1 in each row......then adding List 2 at the bottom and entering List2 in the new column for each row in that section............then do Data > Filter > AutoFilter and check the arrows at the tops of the columns to filter from there...........

SMTP VIRTUAL Server
Hello all, I have a brand new Exchange 2003 Enterprise server that works fine. The problem is that whenever I restart the server or cold boot, the Default SMTP virtual Server in Exchange System Manager (under protocols) has to be stopped and started manually. I have the service pack and hotfix loaded. Any suggestions? Thank you I would check your Event Viewer Application log for any errors after your reboot. -- John Oliver, Jr. MCSE, MCT, CCNA, Exchange MVP Microsoft Certified Partner "Tpoole" <tpoole89@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OZlVjASaEHA.1488@TK2MSFTNGP09.ph...

CRM3.0 install fails with ImportDefaultDataAction exception
I have been trying to install CRM on a server with Exchange 2003 SP2, SQL 2005 etc. Everything is on the one box. Installation goes fine up to the point when I get "Action Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.ImportDefaultDataAction failed. Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process." Before starting the install I dd a reboot of the server. Can anyone help me figure out what's causing the problem? ...

Import text file using a wildcard
I am running the following code to import all text files that all start with the same 12 characters: ' Set the parameters to import the text file If Right(Me!txtFilePath, 1) = "\" Then strPath = \\mdb8\Global Else strPath = \\mdb8\Global& "\" End If strFileName = "GlobalImport*.txt" If FileExists(strPath & strFileName) = False Then msgbox "File " & strPath & strFileName & " Does not exist!", vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "No File..." GoTo ExitImpor...

Using the IF function
Ok I have A1 as test, A2:9 as blah, A10 as test and A11:A20 as blah so it looks like this test blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah test blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah What I want to do is make A1 so that IF(A1=???Any of cells A2:20??? then it becomes the same format as A1 is that possible -- fluc ----------------------------------------------------------------------- fluci's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2589 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39291 You'd need a macro. A formul...

DPM 2007 SP1: Windows Server 2008 R2: Could not connect to SQL Server Reporting Server because of IIS Connectivity issues
Hi, I'm experiencing "Could not connect to SQL Server Reporting Server because of IIS Connectivity issues" and checked the wildcard script mappong permission for ISAPI Extentions in IIS 7: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795696.aspx Actually in my Windows Server 2008 R2 this was already ok But still it does not work. Did anybody get this to run? Thanks, Adrian Adrian Miller ...

ftp server
hi everybody I need to create a ftp server on a pc. The pc will: wait for a ftp connection from a remote computer accept or refuse that client do ftp stuff like get put delete files, for example I look into msdn and find nothing for now. Any clue will be appreciated. Thanks! -- Normand Bilodeau There are a HUGE number of really good FTP servers available free; why write one? joe On Wed, 7 Feb 2007 20:35:58 -0500, "Normand" <n_bilodeau@videotron.ca> wrote: >hi everybody >I need to create a ftp server on a pc. >The pc will: > wait for a ft...

Probs with Installing WMP
Some time ago, I used vLite to strip down some of the features of Vista (including the installation of WMP) before reformatting my computer with it. It has been quite some time already, and I can't remember what is the exact name for it. As some websites require WMP plugin to be able to play WMA files, I then installed the WMP plugin but realized that it requires WMP to work. I downloaded the setup file from Microsoft website but those failed to be installed. Is there anyway I can install WMP into my computer without reformatting my entire computer? Thanks in adva...

Share point installation on windows server 2008 R2
I have registered for MS partnership programs and gat the setup CD for Windows Server 2008 R2 and installed it. I have even the sharepoint Installation cd 64-bit. When I tried to install the sharepoint server I got the exception as there are compatibility issues. I have also searched for a solution on microsoft site and I was told that I should install WSS3.0. I have downloaded it and installed. After installation, the sharepoint server also got installed and when I try to add any new document under shared Documents section, I am getting an exception. Would any one help me in ...

Exhcnage Server 2007 Won't Install
Exchange Server 2007 Install Problem I've setup a new Windows 2003 64 Bit Server for running Exchange 2007. I've installed everything (twice now on separate drives) and Exchange Server is giving me the same error: D:\>setup /preparead Welcome to Microsoft Exchange Server 2007 Unattended Setup Preparing Exchange Setup Unhandled Exception: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'Microsoft.Ex change.Setup.ExSetup.ExSetup' from assembly 'ExSetup, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=n eutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'. Exchange Server setup encountered an error. ...

Starting POP3 virtual servers
Can someone please tell me how to start a virtual POP3 server? The POP3 service is started but I need to stop and start the virtual servers .... thanks all, jON Using Exchange System Manager How to Start, Pause, or Stop a Virtual Server http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/guides/Ex2k3DepGuide/66531489-40b3-456e-8d8d-0544dd12762f.mspx "Jon Rowlan" <jon.rowlan@sads.com> wrote in message news:eDX4V1EkGHA.4660@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Can someone please tell me how to start a virtual POP3 server? > > The POP3 service is started but I need to s...