BMR tool for Windows server 2003

I was able to find some articles regarding BMR for Win 2008, but can't find
any for Win 2003. Is it still an option in DPM 2007 SP1?
Can someone please help point me to the right direction?

Thanks

Bill

0
Bill

You can use SRT with DPM 2007 SP1 for protecting Windows 2003 Servers. You
will be able to locate SRT in the DPM 2007 Installation CD.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]

"Bill N" <billn@jaco.com> wrote in message
> I was able to find some articles regarding BMR for Win 2008, but can't
> find
> any for Win 2003. Is it still an option in DPM 2007 SP1?
> Can someone please help point me to the right direction?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill

0
Praveen
2/13/2010 5:54:09 AM
Thanks Praveen;

I looked into the CD and couldn't find SRT anywhere. I went in Technet
subscription and can't find it there either.

Can you please help?

Thanks

Bill

"Praveen D [MSFT]" <praveend@microsoft.com> wrote in message
You can use SRT with DPM 2007 SP1 for protecting Windows 2003 Servers. You
will be able to locate SRT in the DPM 2007 Installation CD.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]

"Bill N" <billn@jaco.com> wrote in message
> I was able to find some articles regarding BMR for Win 2008, but can't
> find
> any for Win 2003. Is it still an option in DPM 2007 SP1?
> Can someone please help point me to the right direction?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill

0
Bill
2/16/2010 11:10:23 PM
Praveen;

I googled SRT and found this thread inwhich you were provoding solutions for
a number of people.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&tid=761dec07-df98-4e13-9ee7-86db0300b692&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1

I need your help to clarify the following situation:

1. My DPM server is Win2008 32-bit (DPM 2007 SP1)
2. We have enterprise client lisenses for Exchange, Sharepoint, MSSQL
servers
3. We have 2 Hyper V hosts (win 2008 64-bit)
4. We still have several Win 2003 servers

I believe we have enough license for all servers we would like to protect.
Now,

1. If we wish to be able to perform BMR on any of the Win 2003 servers, what
do I need to install and where? Since the DPM server is Win 2008, I can
install SRT on it to protect Win 2003 servers?

2. What do I need to do to have BMR capability for all Windows 2008 servers
( including the DPM server itself)?

I downloaded an eval copy of SRT and will install and test it.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Bill

"Praveen D [MSFT]" <praveend@microsoft.com> wrote in message
You can use SRT with DPM 2007 SP1 for protecting Windows 2003 Servers. You
will be able to locate SRT in the DPM 2007 Installation CD.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]

"Bill N" <billn@jaco.com> wrote in message
> I was able to find some articles regarding BMR for Win 2008, but can't
> find
> any for Win 2003. Is it still an option in DPM 2007 SP1?
> Can someone please help point me to the right direction?
>
> Thanks
>
> Bill

0
Bill
2/16/2010 11:36:13 PM
Please find the answers inline with the questions.

> Praveen;
>
> I googled SRT and found this thread inwhich you were provoding solutions
> for
> a number of people.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.dataprotectionmanager&tid=761dec07-df98-4e13-9ee7-86db0300b692&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1
>
> I need your help to clarify the following situation:
>
> 1. My DPM server is Win2008 32-bit (DPM 2007 SP1)
> 2. We have enterprise client lisenses for Exchange, Sharepoint, MSSQL
> servers
> 3. We have 2 Hyper V hosts (win 2008 64-bit)
> 4. We still have several Win 2003 servers
>
> I believe we have enough license for all servers we would like to protect.
> Now,
>
> 1. If we wish to be able to perform BMR on any of the Win 2003 servers,
> what
> do I need to install and where? Since the DPM server is Win 2008, I can
> install SRT on it to protect Win 2003 servers?

Yes, you have to install SRT on the protected Windows 2003 Server. Please
find more information about SRT and how it is used for BMR protection at:

> 2. What do I need to do to have BMR capability for all Windows 2008
> servers
> ( including the DPM server itself)?

Please follow the white paper on how to protect a Windows 2008 Server for
BMR:
http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2009/12/03/new-whitepaper-how-to-do-bare-metal-recovery-of-ws-08-with-dpm-2007.aspx.
The documentation might treat DPM and protected server being different in
your case it will be same, as you want to protect DPM itself for BMR. You
need to run Set-DPMGlobalProperty <DPMServerName> -AllowLocalDataProtection
$true, to be able to protect local data sources on the DPM server.

BMR protection experience is much simplified in DPM 2010 for WIN2K8 and
WIN2K8 R2 servers, please give it a try, you can download it from:
http://connect.microsoft.com/site840/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=26452.
But protecting WIN2K3 servers using SRT remains same.

> I downloaded an eval copy of SRT and will install and test it.
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Bill
>

> "Praveen D [MSFT]" <praveend@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You can use SRT with DPM 2007 SP1 for protecting Windows 2003 Servers. You
> will be able to locate SRT in the DPM 2007 Installation CD.
>
> Thanks,
> Praveen D [MSFT]
> rights.
>
> "Bill N" <billn@jaco.com> wrote in message
>> I was able to find some articles regarding BMR for Win 2008, but can't
>> find
>> any for Win 2003. Is it still an option in DPM 2007 SP1?
>> Can someone please help point me to the right direction?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Bill

0
Praveen
2/17/2010 9:51:20 AM
Praveen;
I found the file DpmSrt.msi dated 8/31/2007 and the file size is 81,808KB.
Is this the correct SRT installation file for Win2K3?

Regarding Win2K8, the instructions in the file below is confusing. I added
WBS to the client server, but the interface I ahve is completely different
from the images in the document.

http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2009/12/03/new-whitepaper-how-to-do-bare-metal-recovery-of-ws-08-with-dpm-2007.aspx.

IS there any updated document out there that work with DPM SP1?

Thanks

Bill
-----------------------

> [...]

http://connect.microsoft.com/site840/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=26452.
But protecting WIN2K3 servers using SRT remains same.

> I downloaded an eval copy of SRT and will install and test it.
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Bill
>

> "Praveen D [MSFT]" <praveend@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You can use SRT with DPM 2007 SP1 for protecting Windows 2003 Servers. You
> will be able to locate SRT in the DPM 2007 Installation CD.
>
> Thanks,
> Praveen D [MSFT]
> rights.
>
> "Bill N" <billn@jaco.com> wrote in message
>> I was able to find some articles regarding BMR for Win 2008, but can't
>> find
>> any for Win 2003. Is it still an option in DPM 2007 SP1?
>> Can someone please help point me to the right direction?

0
Bill
2/18/2010 7:34:39 PM
Praveen;
I installed DpmSrt.msi on a Win2K3 R2 server. I can schedule SRT for other
Win23 servers but not the one with DPM SRT installed.
I tried this .msi on the DPM server (Win2K8) and it failed.
IS there any work around for this?

Thanks

Bill

-----------------

> [...]

http://connect.microsoft.com/site840/Downloads/DownloadDetails.aspx?DownloadID=26452.
But protecting WIN2K3 servers using SRT remains same.

> I downloaded an eval copy of SRT and will install and test it.
>
> Your help is greatly appreciated.
>
> Bill
>

> "Praveen D [MSFT]" <praveend@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> You can use SRT with DPM 2007 SP1 for protecting Windows 2003 Servers. You
> will be able to locate SRT in the DPM 2007 Installation CD.
>
> Thanks,
> Praveen D [MSFT]
> rights.
>
> "Bill N" <billn@jaco.com> wrote in message
>> I was able to find some articles regarding BMR for Win 2008, but can't
>> find
>> any for Win 2003. Is it still an option in DPM 2007 SP1?
>> Can someone please help point me to the right direction?

0
Bill
2/18/2010 7:51:58 PM
        Yes you are right about the SRT version and its available only for
WIN2K3 only. The instructions have not changed much for getting the disk
space required. Please find Backing Up a Server with the MMC section at:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/2008.05.adbackup.aspx?pr=blog,
first you will be presented with Full Server and Custom options, on clicking
the custom you will reach the wizard similar to what is present in the white
paper.

0
Praveen

Outlook 2003 News