Best strategy for protecting 2 server DAG

Hi,

I have been searching for a white paper or tutorial or something like that
which discusses the best strategy for protecing an exchange 2010 dag via dpm
2010.

We have a 2 server dag with 5 databases total (5 mounted on server1 and with
a copy of each on server2)

I know DPM has the ability to do a full backup of one copy and a copy backup
of another copy of the same database however I am wondering the best way to
implement this

Is it really common, or neccesary to protect BOTH copies of a particular
database in general?  Or would it be more common or easier/better to just
pick one of the servers and protect the databases on it (full backup) with no
copy backup of the database copies on the second server.

The method of protecting exchange has changed quite drastically with the
creation of dags and Im not really understanding the best way to protect a 2
server dag with DPM 2010.  Can anyone lead me in the right direction?

Thanks!

    We are working on best practices guide for DAG protection. We will keep
this information posted on newsgroup once its available.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]

"Ehren" <Ehren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have been searching for a white paper or tutorial or something like that
> which discusses the best strategy for protecing an exchange 2010 dag via
> dpm
> 2010.
>
> We have a 2 server dag with 5 databases total (5 mounted on server1 and
> with
> a copy of each on server2)
>
> I know DPM has the ability to do a full backup of one copy and a copy
> backup
> of another copy of the same database however I am wondering the best way
> implement this
>
> Is it really common, or neccesary to protect BOTH copies of a particular
> database in general?  Or would it be more common or easier/better to just
> pick one of the servers and protect the databases on it (full backup) with
> no
> copy backup of the database copies on the second server.
>
> The method of protecting exchange has changed quite drastically with the
> creation of dags and Im not really understanding the best way to protect a
> 2
> server dag with DPM 2010.  Can anyone lead me in the right direction?
>
> Thanks!

0
Praveen

default appointment times problems
When i re-open outlook and go to the calender, all the appointments times have changed to 1am on the start day - 1am on the day after it waqs meant to finish. So a 12 day appointment is now shown as over 2 days. How do you change the default appointment time settings so an appointment which is just typed into the day is from 9am - 5pm for example and will stay as a 1 day event when opening and closing outlook? All day events are 12 -12, not 9-5. If you want it 9-5, you need to make it for 9-5. All day appointment change to 1 -1 if you change the time zone or DST settings aft...

Manage 5.5 from Win2k3 server
Hello Someone have an idea on how I can install the MMC snap-in on a win2k3 server (Workstation/Test Environment) that will allow me to manage my 5.5 server? I don't want to extend the schema or anything like that I just want to manage Exchange 5.5. I have the Exchange 2003 cd but we aren't going to do the upgrade until mid summer Thank Paul You would run the setup of E2K3 and do a custom install, selecting the Exchange 5.5 system tools along with the E2K3 tools. However, this is going to install the same tools you already have with your 5.5 CD. -- Nick Cavalancia MCSE/MCT/MCNE...

Outlook 2003 sends my gmail through 2 steps, why??
I am using Outlook 2003 to send my gmail account through smtp.gmail.com. When I send mail in Outlook, it goes into the Outbox rather than get sent right away. Then from my outbox, I can send the email. This seems like a redundancy in efforts, how can I get Outlook to send it straight away? Look at the Tools Menu, then Options, then Mail Setup Tab. Check off the box "Send immediately when connected". -- Lenny V "Uncle Scotty" wrote: > I am using Outlook 2003 to send my gmail account through > smtp.gmail.com. When I send mail in Outlook, it goes into the Outbox...

best home based business

Recovery server #4
Hi, I am setting up a recovery server to restore an online backup of the info store of an Exchange 2003 server. I can not use the recovery storage group as it is a snapshot backup and not supported by Symantec. I know that the log file path does not matter but does the database path matter? I have done this restore to a recovery server in earlier versions of exchange without issue. The only diffenences in this case is that 1- I am restoring from a snapshot backup 2- I got lazy and recreated the recovery server with only a C: and the production server has the exchange databases on ...

Outlook hanging #2
When I open Outlook it is slow to check send/receive. Once open, it appears to be randomly hanging when I click on a message to open it. Especially those with attachments. I have to control, alt, delete to move on. When I open the details window in the error report window it has "szAppName:OUTLOOK.EXE szAppVer: 10.0.4510.0 szModName:hungapp szModVer: 0.0.0.0 offset:00000000". I can't seem to get past this problem, and have been unable to find anything to help me fix it. ...

Outlook 2000 & Vista #2
Can anyone tell me whether Outlook 2000 (from Ofice 2000) is compatible with Vista? If so, where might I find support to complete the installation? I keep getting an "Operation Cancelled" message anytime I try to sign in or set Outlook 2000 as my default. Thanks -- Steve Only 2003 and above is fully compatible OL2k is out of support as is OLxp "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ACAE99AB-0EAB-4523-9304-AFAB18AB724C@microsoft.com... > Can anyone tell me whether Outlook 2000 (from Ofice 2000) is compatible > with > Vista? I...

Best Practise
Hi Everyone, In the process of creating a new Exchange 2003 SP2 Cluster, and had some questions about breaking up the stores. I am a bit confused between Storage Groups, and Mailbox Stores. To break things down, here is the current setup on the existing Exchange Server (the non cluster one) 400+ Users Store is at 110GB Backup Time - Long When I start moving staff over to the new Exchange box, we want to implement quotas, and break up some of the accounts. Thought process was this: 1)Directors\Management\Tech - No Quotas 2)Supervisors and other Critical Staff - 700MB 3)Other staff - ...

CheckBox #2
I have a sheet with a checkbox in column A and a value in column B. There are about 30 rows of this data. The user selects the items they want to view and I run VBA code based on their selection. I want to turn the checkboxes on and off within VBA but can't figure out what each checkbox is named and how to reference it in VBA code. I just need to do something like: CheckBox13 = True Checkbox 99 = False like in Access Can anyone help please? Thanks in advance. Is ActiveSheet.CheckBox13 = True what you need ? Regards.. Daniel "PeterM" <PeterM@discussions.microsoft...

Date formatting in Excel #2
How do I format a cell to return Oct 04 when I type 10-4 in Excel...When I type 10-4, Excel returns Oct 05. Hi When no year is typed, excel would assume it is the current year. You would ahve to type the full date (including 2004) for it to display as Oct 2004. Use Format - cells - date and then select the particular format you want from the options there. >-----Original Message----- >How do I format a cell to return Oct 04 when I type 10-4 in Excel...When I >type 10-4, Excel returns Oct 05. >. > ...

Sheet protection prompts
All, Ive been building a speadsheet for data collection and have incorporated event macros that format columns, filter and protect/unprotect the worksheet. One of the users is receiving a confirmation prompt each time the macro protects/unprotects the sheet. I however am not being prompted on my pc and have been unable to replicate this. Has anyone come across this before and could you please advise how it can be overcome. Would appreciate any assistance you can provide. Regards, Adrian Not sure why this would happen to one user, unless they have a different version possibly. Could ...

Sales Pipeline Report #2
Anybody had problems with this report in terms of the group by Date function. Cannot get the date order of the report to work in terms of ordering by Estimated Close date. Am posting here in the attempt to get anyone out there to help me please... have been pulling my hair out in looking at the query in this report to work out how to order by Estimated Close Date! Thanks in advance, Charlie Absolutely. The CRM 4.0 Sales Pipeline report group by Date does not work correctly when using non-US CRM date formats. I have logged this as an issue with MSFT support, who accept there is a ...

Error Message about "sync server"
I'm syncing an iPhone to Outlook & get a strange error message -- the message is from Outlook, offers to review conflicts or not, then pops up the box with "Unable to retrieve conflict information from the sync server. Please try again next time the conflict resolver window is presented." What does it mean by "sync server"? bj Maybe this? http://www.slipstick.com/problems/syncerror.htm Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ OutlookForums http://www.outlookfor...

Installed from CD, apps in "trial" mode #2
I went through the whole procedure again. Here is the list of files in the Trash: com.microsoft.Office.prefs.plist com.microsoft.Excel.prefs.plist com.microsoft.Entourage.prefs.plist com.microsoft.Entourage.plist com.microsoft.OfficeNotifications.plist Office Font Cache (11) Microsoft Office ACL [English] OLE Registration Database 11 OfficeSync Prefs Custom Dictionary Office 11 First Run Entourage Preferences Proofing Tool Preferences Office Registration Cache 11 OK, the Remove Office tool is operating correctly, there's something else wrong. Check back in a few days, I'm escalatin...

Viewing 2 worksheets in the same workbook
Is there a way of viewing data on two separate worksheets in the same workbook in a similar way to splitting a single worksheet? Thanks Choose Window> New Window Choose Window> Arrange Select Tile (or one of the other options), and check the box 'Windows of active workbook' Click OK In each of the windows, select a different worksheet to view. Ant wrote: > Is there a way of viewing data on two separate worksheets in the same > workbook in a similar way to splitting a single worksheet? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures....

Trendline (Power) Best Practice
I have 9,000+ data points that need to be in an X Y Scatter Chart. About 50% only have an X Value, but the absence of the Y Factor is important data. It represents no actions were needed for a 6 month period of time. If I remove those missing the Y Factor, the time spent is overstated. If I place a zero, Excel doesn't like it. I have inserted a .0000001 for the missing Y Factor and then I get a misrepresentation the opposite way. I have added all the values and averaged for a single point and non of the plots or computed trend-lines hits the mark. Am I going about this wrong a...

Mailbox Manager and Moved Mailboxes #2
I set up a new exchange 2003 server and moved mailboxes over to it from an old exchange 5.5 server. Then I ran mailbox manager on the 2003 server in Report Only mode. The report came back all zeros. The only policy I set up was a 30 day limit on deleted items, and I know there were deleted items in the mailboxes I moved older than that. Does it have anything to do with the fact that I just moved the mailboxes recently, so they haven't been on this particular server for 30 days? I read that Mailbox Manager uses three dates to see if it should process a message- PR_MESSAGE_DELIVERY_TI...

Postcallout not working on seperate SQL server?
Hi I have developed a post call out using C#. It works 100% perfectly when it deploed on a single server deployment. i.e CRM 1.2, Exchange, MSSQL-2000, Window 2003 SBS, all on one Machine. When I tried to deploy SAME postcall out dll in a separate SQL server which runs on Windows 2003 Standard server and CRM server is separately running on Virtual server(Pointing to above SQL database), Post call out does not fire up! I have properly registred Postcall out on SQL CRM Metabase and com component is registred with no error on seperate sql server machine. I am using following components on C# p...

Administrating an Upgraded Exchange 2003 Server..
This is really a preliminary enquiry... I have to perform an "in-place upgrade" of an existing Exchange 2000 Standard server, this is to take advantage of the max 75GB database size limit offered by Exchange 2003 Server SP2. I have performed a lab upgrade of a test 2000 Exchange Server and it worked perfectly, very straightforward it was too! My problem is that a Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES) communicates with the existing Exchange 2000 box and the BES box has Exchange 2000 Server Manager installed and working on it. The Blackberry people have posed the question ...

New personal finance resource website open #2
--_NextPart_00009772-00002116-10DD2067-6005 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit New Personal Finance Resource Website Open http://www.your-personal-finances.com/ - Free articles and information on personal finance --_NextPart_00009772-00002116-10DD2067-6005-- *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com *** *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from http://www.SecureIX.com *** ...

MultiCurrency Setup #2
created an exchange rate table HKD TO CNY. I'm stuck on #7, HKD TO CNY not available from the Exchange Table window screen. Here's what I have done so far. 1. Setup currencies (setup-system-currency) 2. Assign company access to currencies (setup-system-multicurrency access) 3. Setup exchange rate tables (setup-system-exchange table) 4. Assign exchange rates (cards-system-exchange table) 5. Assign company access to exchange rates (setup-system-multicurrency) 6. Set Multicurrency defaults to a company (setup-financial-multicurrency) 7. Assign rate type to rate tables (setup-financial-...

Protecting/locking individual cells? + not displaying #N/A on cel
HI, My spreadsheet is using Vookup formulas and I would like to protect the cells with the formulas from others changing them but still alow the oter cells to be free . Such C1 free to place a number that will allow the protected B1 (which has the look up formulae) to have the resulting detail from the look up -locked/protected. ALSO- I have then copied the formulae down to the page and some cells will not have all the time an item in them so now they are showing the #N/A - can this be not displayed? Ta Mike On Sep 10, 8:47=A0am, MikeR-Oz <Mike...@discussions.microsoft.com> w...

RPC Latency #2
My Exchange 2003 box is experiencing high RPC Latency problems yet I can't decipher exactly why. The Averaged Latency is peaking at >90ms but usually sits around 50 - 65ms yet the RPC requests are very low What should I be looking for that is causing these latency problems? On Tue, 24 Oct 2006 09:08:10 -0500, "Larry" <Larry@domain.local> wrote: >My Exchange 2003 box is experiencing high RPC Latency problems yet I can't >decipher exactly why. The Averaged Latency is peaking at >90ms but usually >sits around 50 - 65ms yet the RPC requests are ve...

sing in attempt unsuccessful #2
Maybe you need to sing a different tune......like maybe "it's over it's over." ...

How can I fill 2nd worksheet (in different order) with data from 1st worksheet? #2
Please help. I have a large amount of data where the 1st worksheet serves as the basis for the second. I want to have the second sheet filled automatically, based on information in the first. This is my set up. This Sheet is Called Payroll Data A B C D ............ H I Name Job Description Status Reg RegFB OT-FB 5 Adams, John Butcher FT $ 36.23 0.4321 0.0974 6 Mason, George Baker PT $ 18.56 0.4367 0.0974 7 Richter, Thomas CndlestkMkr T $ 22.11 0.4021 0.0732 8 Wilson, James President FT $ 66.99 0.5355 0.0974 This sheet is called FAL - Analysis A B C D ............. A...