Backup of remote Exchange Server, any Gotchas?

I administer a multisite network. Our head office is in Perth, a branch
office is in Sydney.  The two sites are connected via 2Mbit VPN link. The
head office has approx 100 users, the branch around 20. We run an Exchange
2007 server in Perth. I am considering placing an Exchange 2007 server in
the branch office, and using DPM in Perth to back it up.  The total mailbox
data size in Sydney will be about 6Gb.

Questions:

1. Is this a valid configuration?

2. How well does DPM manage bandwidth in this sort of scenario? I hope to be
able to just do a delta copy each night after hours.

3. If I need to do a restore of a user's mailbox, can I restore to an RSG on
the Perth Server? It would be bad to have to shove 6Gb down the pipe just to
restore a single email or mailbox.

0
Mal

        The configuration is valid except that the network speed, if 2Mbit
is available on both sides should not be a problem. But if it is lower on
the data moving side can cause problem. Exchange backups are done in
incremental and only changed blocks will be moved for incremental backups.
You can restore to a local Exchange server's RSG, only requirement is that
the local Exchange server also should be protected by the same server as the
other exchange Server.

Thanks,
Praveen D

"Mal Osborne" <mal@malsplace.com> wrote in message
> I administer a multisite network. Our head office is in Perth, a branch
> office is in Sydney.  The two sites are connected via 2Mbit VPN link. The
> head office has approx 100 users, the branch around 20. We run an Exchange
> 2007 server in Perth. I am considering placing an Exchange 2007 server in
> the branch office, and using DPM in Perth to back it up.  The total
> mailbox data size in Sydney will be about 6Gb.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1. Is this a valid configuration?
>
> 2. How well does DPM manage bandwidth in this sort of scenario? I hope to
> be able to just do a delta copy each night after hours.
>
> 3. If I need to do a restore of a user's mailbox, can I restore to an RSG
> on the Perth Server? It would be bad to have to shove 6Gb down the pipe
> just to restore a single email or mailbox.

0
Praveen

Exchange 5.5 to 2000 migration
Is it possible to migrate an existing 5.5 to 2000 using the same computer name? If you mean separate servers with the same name? No. However, if you setup an E2K server in your Ex5.5 org and move the mailboxes over to the new server name, the Outlook profiles will automatically update (if that is your concern). -- Nick Cavalancia MCSE/MCT/MCNE/MCNI nickc@remove-comsphere.com Comsphere - "Where Knowledge Transfer is Key" Web: http://www.comsphere.com Ph: 954.275.0114 Fax: 954.791.6763 "Concrete" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6b7c01c401...

One domain on exchange server not accepting connections
I setup a second domain on an Exchange 2003 server, and thought everything was working. Now, though, mail going to the second domain gets rejected, but mail going to the original domain is still working. I can telnet to the original domain, but not to the second domain. I've checked everything I know to check (I've setup plenty of domains on Exchange servers, so I believe I've gotten the setting correct), but I just can't get it to work. The MX records are correct, and mail.theseconddomain.com resolves to the right IP address (the same IP as mail.originaldomain.com), so it sh...

HTML Attachment in OWA on Exchange 2000

exchange 2003 Pop3 access #2
I'm trying to publish smtp and pop3 through isa. neither of the server publishing rules smtp or pop3 work properly. I was able to work around the smtp portion by configuring smtp virtual server on isa then forwarding to the exchange server. so on to pop3 for this scenario: 10.0.0.2 = exchange server ip 10.0.0.1 = isa internal 10.1.0.1 = isa dmz 60.60.60.60 = public ip address of mail server (nat by firewall to dmz interface of isa) I used mail server publishing to publish pop3 from "external" to "10.0.0.2" Following the tuturial on isaserver.org still I am ...

Exchange Server error message
I'm getting this error message from our exchange server 'error 552 too much mail data'. We have enough disk space on the server and we have no limits configured. Any ideas would be appreciated. "techman" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I'm getting this error message from our exchange >server 'error 552 too much mail data'. We have enough disk >space on the server and we have no limits configured. Any >ideas would be appreciated. Does this happen for ALL messages, or just some? It may be that the message contains a line ...

Send-as/Send of behalf Exchange 2k -> 2k3
We've allowed user under our old Exchange 2K server to send emails with different From: addresses (vs the "send on behalf of" option). This worked fine for Contacts and Dept mailboxes (which is just another user), if the users got "Send-As" rights under the security tab for the Contact or Dept mailbox. Now, having migrated to Exchange 2K3, things are different. There have been various posts around, but either I missed the solution/enlightment to my problem or ... [Contacts] After the migration to the new server, users still can sent emails as before with a contact in...

Installed Exchange 2003 Server on new Hardwar... How to get rid of old Exchange 2000 Server?
Hi, Our single domain company (Win 2000 DC's) was running a single Exchange 2000 server. I bought a new server, installed Windows 2003 Server on it, joined it to the domian (non-DC) and then installed Exchange 2003 Server on that and joined it to the site. I then pointed our MX records towards the new box. As soon as I verified connectivity, I began moving user's mailboxes over 1 by 1. Everyone is now running smoothly on the new server. I have not as of yet removed the old server (still on, running, no mialboxes). The problem is, that as soon as I turn off the old Exchange 2000 s...

Do I have to put my files on a server to hyperlink in Publisher?
For a class project, we need to make a website. However I do not want to go live with the site (publish the site) for security purposes. Is there a way I can just make the hyperlinks for my files open without having to be on a server? The instructor wants a working but not live site. TJ If you are using Pub 2003, the built-in navigation bar uses relative links that will work on your local machine. Under Help type "navigation" for more information. Assuming you use the default setting, when you Publish to the Web, you can direct the html output to a folder on your computer. T...

Microsoft Active Directory
I am getting the following error when trying to modify anything on the Exchange General Tab of a user object: The operation failed. ID no: 80004005 Microsoft Active Directory - Exchange Extension I believe this is a permissions issue. Any ideas? Does this happen to all user objects ? What permissions do you have ? Are any of the fields on the user object not completed i.e. initials, first name, display name etc as per http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314034/en-us Regards Paul Ford Edge IT Ltd "COT-AD" <COTAD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C50D72ED-...

First Exchange instal
I just got SBS installed and also configured Exchange (i think). I added an MX record on my hosting account that points to my no-ip.com DNS service. I can send mail fine but i am not recieving. Do i need to contact the Hosting company? ISP? or no-ip.com? Troubleshooting steps when you don't receive internet email: - Since you can send internet mail it is assumed that SMTP service and SMTP virtual server are running, and Store is mounted. 1. Check default email addresses of users - these are the ones shown in the mail attribute and also the ones that start with upper-case SMTP: on th...

Issue when using Outlook 2003 on Exchange 5.5 SP4
Hi! I have seen issues on using Outlook 2003 on MS Exchange 5.5 SP4. Can anyone guide me on how to handle this? M P What issues have you seen? -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "M P" <mark@textguru.ph> wrote in message news:eoqSaBjTGHA.5884@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > Hi! > > I have seen issues on using Outlook 2003 on MS Exchange 5.5 SP4. Can > anyone guide me on how to handle this? > > M P > It was pretty easy for me to find this in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: http://support.microsoft...

Exchange no longer available
Courtesy of Katrina, my brother-in-law's job and Exchange server are no more. He knows he has personal folders and contacts on his laptop, but Outlook choles on not connecting to Exchange and won't let him see the local stuff either. How does one tell Outlook not to try to connect to Exchange and instead use the local pst file? It might be easier to create a new profile and then use File Open to access the personal folder file, you create a new profile in Control Panel || Mail <philmcin@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1126736961.961262.92120@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... ...

Exchange 2010 & Active Sync
Hi All, Running Exchange 2010. I have my phone (iphone 3gs) syncing with exchange 2010 perfectly. However, trying to sync a new plam pro (win mobile 6.1) and getting errors. I think it's the account as doing a test-ActiveSync-Connectivity gives the following: Any ideas? RunspaceId : 962cea80-32ae-4e60-a5f1-67ed96cab519 LocalSite : Default-First-Site-Name SecureAccess : True VirtualDirectoryName : Url : UrlType : Unknown Port : 0 ConnectionType...

Error
Hello to all. I am a CRM newbie.... and I am looking for a little help... We installed Microsoft CRM v1.2 on a Windows SBS2003 server. We followed the Microsoft Business Solutions CROM Implementation Guide - SBS2003 section - during the installation. During the install, we created a new CRM website in IIS, and added a host header ("crm") and added "crm" to the DNS on the server. So far, so good. But, we have a problem whenever I choose Start->Programs->Microsoft CRM->Workflow Manager.... The Workflow Manager Logon window is displayed. I am prompted to enter th...

Schedule Exchange PS scripts
Can anyone point me at a reference on how to schedule powershell scripts for Exchange? I have tried a reference I found, but it doesn't work with Exchange powershell: powershell -nologo -noninteractive -command " {C:\PSScripts\script.ps1}" I tried this instead, but it states that & isn't allowed. Removing it didn't work either. C:\WINDOWS\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\PowerShell.exe -PSConsoleFile "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\bin\exshell.psc1" -noexit -command ". 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\bin\Exchange.ps...

Exchange 2K3 SP1 Error
I have sucessfully created and mounted an RSG on my Exchange 2003 SP1 server. My problem is when i right click any mailbox in the RSG from the ESM that's name contains a comma (Kleinpeter, Rob) i get error: An Invalid dn syntax has been specified. Facility: LDAP Providor ID no: 80072032 Exchange System Manager This does not happen in the live database or in the RGS with names that do not contain commas. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. RK ...

Exchange Only accepting replied emails
I am working with exchange server 2003, it relays all local mail fine and all outbound mail fine, but it is only accepting replies to messages that have been sent from the domain so if someone creates a new message to send to a domain recipient they get NDR you do not have permission to send to this recipient. If anyone can lead me in the right direction on this matter it would be greatly appreciated thanks.. In news:1172526956.402418.21930@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com, AdonisL81@gmail.com <AdonisL81@gmail.com> typed: > I am working with exchange server 2003, it relays all local m...

how to Share Outlook on a win 2003 server
Hi I have Outlook 2003 and want to share it between users on my win 2003 server How does one do this? I have search outlook help etc, have not really found a clear answer. Thanks Phil Share Outlook how? The program? The files? Have many profiles running one version of Outlook? Please be more specific. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer: Phil <phillip@pmassociates.com.au> asked: | Hi I have Outlook 2003 and want to share it between users | on my win 2003 server |...

Report Server Error 09-28-07
After uninstalling MSCRM from my server, I tried installing it again. This has led me to the problem of the report server. I'm using the default server name http://<servername>/reportserver and it's still not realizing that it is actually there and fully running. I've checked the Services section of my server and also checked the individual server status. Both are running within normal parameters. Before the uninstall, the report server was running properly and CRM recognised that it was actually there. Any ideas? ....reed Is this SQL Server 2000 or 2005 SRS? 1. Fo...

Outlook 2003 SP1 and Exchange 2003
user at times accepts a meeting request, but meeting does not show up in there calander. Also when they accept the tracking information does not get updated on the senders end or if the sender cancels the meeting it is not deleting it from the attendees calander. Any Idea's? Thank you, ...

Can't install Exchange 2003.
Hi, I'm having an issue where I can't proceed with the "Install Exchange System Management Tools Only" installation wizard. I'm stuck at the "Component Selection" and when I chose one of the action given, I will get these errors : "..has an unknown installation problem" "..encountered an error while checking the prerequisites for the component exchange.." Before that during the initial setup, I was getting this error : "Exchange Server 2003 has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows. For more information, refe...

Exchange 2003 + 0x800CCC0f
Dear all, i have a problem on ex 2003 which using POP3 service, i did setup a client using outlook pop3 service, he can't send out the email. but he can download email from the server side, i did telnet 25, 110 is work in his pc, moreover, i did check that enable auth. required in outlook. pls advise! Remark: using OWA and is ok ! ...

Restoring Exchange Data
HI. I experienced a crash with my Windows 2000 server which is the Global Catalog and dns server. Anyhow in my infinite wisdom I decided to do soemthing with the exchange server and in the meantime - it blew any active directory info which had replicated to the exchange server. The Exchange server was a part of the domain with AD installed, etc. The exch. server is a running windows 2003 server w/ exch. server 2003. Fast forward...I rebuilt the Windows 2000 server and its backup. I also rebuilt the Exchange Server...not completely knowing how to proceed....I installed w2k3 with all ...

Exchange contact sync problems.
I have a problem with contact synconizations under Ex2003. We bought a (3rd party) modul for sync'ing contact between Axapta and Exchange. Only problem is, the address data is synced wrong and the company that sold us the modul, claims that the problem lies in our Exchange installation sins the module runs fine on other installations they've done. Fx: converting from Ax to Ex Zipcode is converted into the "provins" field cityname is converted into both city and zipcode field The other way zip -> cityname cityname just disapear The Ex2003 installation is a migration off...

Schedule NTBackup of Exchange
Hope this is the right group for this. I'm trying to create a scheduled ntbackup job of backing up our exchange server from a remote computer but it's failing. Whats the easiest way to create a weekly full/normal backup of one exchange server to a file, and being able to have the file automatically named the date, like "exchange_full_122106.bkf" in ntbackup? Cheers Oystein On 21 Dec 2006 04:54:35 -0800, "oysteint@gmail.com" <oysteint@gmail.com> wrote: >Hope this is the right group for this. > >I'm trying to create a scheduled ntbackup job o...