Agent Install on EBS 2008 Failing

I am running DPM 2007 on Windows Storage Server 2003 (Dell DP600 appliance) 
and trying to protect EBS 2008 which is virtualized.  However, I followed the 
technet article here to setup things:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512491(WS.10).aspx

But I am unable to successfully install the agent on the EBS 2008 servers 
and get them to talk to DPM.

I followed the last part of - To install a DPM protection agent.  The agents 
appear to be installed on the Management, Security and Messaging servers, but 
cannot seem to attach properly to the DPM server.  They show in Error status 
under Agent Status.  Please advise.  Thank you,
0
Utf
4/27/2010 10:26:01 PM
dataprotectionmanager 1083 articles. 0 followers. Follow

3 Replies
1422 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 18

        What is the error you are finding when you are running the attach 
command? Can you please check if you have created the firewall exception 
rules correctly? Can you try running wbemtest.exe and connect to EBS server 
from DPM server? This is must to be able to attach an agent.

Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"Daniel Garrett" <Daniel Garrett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:122B9527-21D7-4B47-9089-8E77FFF1EC4B@microsoft.com...
> I am running DPM 2007 on Windows Storage Server 2003 (Dell DP600 
> appliance)
> and trying to protect EBS 2008 which is virtualized.  However, I followed 
> the
> technet article here to setup things:
>
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512491(WS.10).aspx
>
> But I am unable to successfully install the agent on the EBS 2008 servers
> and get them to talk to DPM.
>
> I followed the last part of - To install a DPM protection agent.  The 
> agents
> appear to be installed on the Management, Security and Messaging servers, 
> but
> cannot seem to attach properly to the DPM server.  They show in Error 
> status
> under Agent Status.  Please advise.  Thank you, 

0
Praveen
4/28/2010 9:40:30 AM
I ran Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 on each of the EBS servers (managment, 
security and messaging) and each separate command resulted in "Attached 
ProductionServer successfully"

As recommended I also ran wbemtest.exe and connected to the management 
server.  Is there a specific action to perform other than to connect to 
\\server\root\cimv2 ?  Please advise.  Thank you,

"Praveen D [MSFT]" wrote:

>         What is the error you are finding when you are running the attach 
> command? Can you please check if you have created the firewall exception 
> rules correctly? Can you try running wbemtest.exe and connect to EBS server 
> from DPM server? This is must to be able to attach an agent.
> 
> Thanks,
> Praveen D [MSFT]
> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
> 
> "Daniel Garrett" <Daniel Garrett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:122B9527-21D7-4B47-9089-8E77FFF1EC4B@microsoft.com...
> > I am running DPM 2007 on Windows Storage Server 2003 (Dell DP600 
> > appliance)
> > and trying to protect EBS 2008 which is virtualized.  However, I followed 
> > the
> > technet article here to setup things:
> >
> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512491(WS.10).aspx
> >
> > But I am unable to successfully install the agent on the EBS 2008 servers
> > and get them to talk to DPM.
> >
> > I followed the last part of - To install a DPM protection agent.  The 
> > agents
> > appear to be installed on the Management, Security and Messaging servers, 
> > but
> > cannot seem to attach properly to the DPM server.  They show in Error 
> > status
> > under Agent Status.  Please advise.  Thank you, 
> 
> .
> 
0
Utf
5/5/2010 1:29:01 PM
The agent attach seem to be succeeding, so what is the agent communication 
that is failing? In DPM agent management UI, what is the status of the 
machine? Is it green or in communication error status? If its in 
communication error status, can you run an agent refresh job and see what is 
the error message? also can you copy paste the tail ends from the following 
files:

from DPM Server: C:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\Temp\msdpm*curr*
from SBS server: c$\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection 
Manager\DPM\temp\dpmra*curr*

-- 
Thanks,
Praveen D [MSFT]
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

"Daniel Garrett" <DanielGarrett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:0A3C17D8-D224-4C82-A127-7DDCF554AB63@microsoft.com...
> I ran Attach-ProductionServer.ps1 on each of the EBS servers (managment,
> security and messaging) and each separate command resulted in "Attached
> ProductionServer successfully"
>
> As recommended I also ran wbemtest.exe and connected to the management
> server.  Is there a specific action to perform other than to connect to
> \\server\root\cimv2 ?  Please advise.  Thank you,
>
> "Praveen D [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>>         What is the error you are finding when you are running the attach
>> command? Can you please check if you have created the firewall exception
>> rules correctly? Can you try running wbemtest.exe and connect to EBS 
>> server
>> from DPM server? This is must to be able to attach an agent.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Praveen D [MSFT]
>> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no 
>> rights.
>>
>> "Daniel Garrett" <Daniel Garrett@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
>> message
>> news:122B9527-21D7-4B47-9089-8E77FFF1EC4B@microsoft.com...
>> > I am running DPM 2007 on Windows Storage Server 2003 (Dell DP600
>> > appliance)
>> > and trying to protect EBS 2008 which is virtualized.  However, I 
>> > followed
>> > the
>> > technet article here to setup things:
>> >
>> > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc512491(WS.10).aspx
>> >
>> > But I am unable to successfully install the agent on the EBS 2008 
>> > servers
>> > and get them to talk to DPM.
>> >
>> > I followed the last part of - To install a DPM protection agent.  The
>> > agents
>> > appear to be installed on the Management, Security and Messaging 
>> > servers,
>> > but
>> > cannot seem to attach properly to the DPM server.  They show in Error
>> > status
>> > under Agent Status.  Please advise.  Thank you,
>>
>> .
>> 
0
Praveen
5/12/2010 2:27:20 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 02-25-10
Hi everybody - help wanted from a complete dunce pls - my Dell Laptop downloaded Windows Update Agent 7.4.7600.226 early October 2009 - the update history indicated that is was successfully downloaded ! However, since then my PC has refused to download any further updates and always shows the message "Windows could not search for new updates" and shows the Error message "Code 80072EFE". I have tried to remove Windows Update Agent to then try and reinstall, but it does not appear on the list of programs that can be removed - I have tried to do a manual install ...

About CRM installing
Hello, I am a beginner about mscrm. Can you tell me how to install mscrm development environment? If you are looking for tips on installing CRM in a development environment, start with the Implementation Guide on the CRM CDs, search technet for very detailed information, and take a look at John O'Donnell's article on the topic here: http://www.microsoft.com/businesssolutions/CRM/support/4_Ways_to_build_test_environment.mspx -- Matt Wittemann http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "cyb" wrote: > Hello, > I am a beginner about mscrm. > Can you tell me how to...

How do I find the Save to netsuite icon after I installed it?
I have installed a little program to help me save my outlook emails to netsuite but now I can not find the icon of (save to netsuite) IS anyone familiar with this? Thanks No, but perhaps if you look on their website, they will have a FAQ with = this information. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 After furious head scratching, Saied asked: | I have installed a little program to help me save my outlook emails to | netsuite but now I can n...

Install Problem 12-17-03
Team: I am having an install issue that I cannot get around... Win2003, Exchange 2003, SQL Server 2000 SP3 all setup fine. Active Directory is clean...all MDAC, XML setup. At the end of the initial install I get an error saying that that install failed abruptly. No other error codes...4 of th 5 services start. Security service does not start rendering the CRM install useless...ANY IDEAS? Thanks! Had the same problem when I tried to upgrade from 1.0 using the adventure_works_cycle license key. For some reason, the install left the old license key in the database which was preventing ...

msoe.dll cannot be loaded, how to back up e-mails to re-install
does anyone know how to back up outlook e-mail without opening outlook? Hope someone can help. Thanks MSOE.dll is for Outlook Express, not Outlook. What are you actually trying to do and with what program, Outlook or Outlook Express. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com asked: | does anyone know how to back up outloo...

Composite Index Creation Needed SQL 2008?
I have a table with only a simple int pk. I do a merge operation and need to compare several columns in order to know if I need to 'when not matched then insert'. There are 20,000 rows+ in the source table (a temp table) and a few million in the destination table. The table schemata are the same. I know the approx number of unique values in each table, and think I need to create a unique index across all of the columns. Is that true? What is the right syntax for doing that? -- ColumnA: 167 unique values in #temptable -- ColumnB: 1 unique values in #temptable -- ColumnC: 1...

Cannot Install WIn Server 2008 R2 x64 in Win 7
I get this error http://www.chicagotech.net/virtualization/vmissue3.htm Host was Win 7 Home Prem x64. I upgraded it to Pro 7 x64 and still have the same issue. I just bought this laptop and have the VM ext. enabled in the bios. (AMD SVM (Secure Virtual Machine)). A friend said SVM is the new name for AMD-V. Works fine in VMPlayer, but this prof is using Microsoft VPC so I wanna use the same VM software. Thank you, Eric Vogel Are you trying to install WS 2008 R2 in XP Mode or VPC? If so, neither will support 64-bit guests, only 32-bit guests. On 2010-09-03 18:41...

WMP 12 Problem
I am operating on Windows 7. I have WMP 12.0.7600.16415. Everytime I play a video and close out the program I cannot re-open WMP again without rebooting the computer. Any ideas on how to correct this problem? What's the file type of these videos (AVI, WMV...)? If it's a file type that WMP doesn't support by default, which codec did you install to play it? Did you install any codec packs? WMP probably keeps running in the background after closing. When you restart WMP again, it immediately exits because it thinks that it's still running. To force WMP to close...

Attachments open causes operation failed message
I have a user who gets an "Operation Failed" when opening attachments. However, when he tries again later, the attachmnet miraculously opens. We make no changes to the PC, just wait a few minutes and it opens....any ideas. Thanks Depending on the type of attachment, it may be a problem with adequate RAM or virtual memory. Perhaps he has too many programs open at the same time and if he's trying to open a Word attachment, it's having to struggle to find memory to open Word on top of everything else. Also, if the attachment is tied to an application that resides on the...

NLB on a Windows Server 2008 Domain Controller
I'm searching for information about using NLB on a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain controller, but no luck so far. I have a 2-node NLB cluster on Windows Server 2008 R2 servers, and want to add the Doman Controller role to them. I can't find anywhere that this isn't supported, or that I shouldn't do it, but I wonder if anyone here has any experience of doing it or know of reasons why I can or shouldn't do it? TIA Charles Hi Charles, I personally think the AD DS role is not supported to be run on top of NLB. If you want to achieve load balancing an...

2010 beta install on server 2008 r2 DC
I have followed the instuctions for installing DPM 2010 Beta on a Domain Controller, I also had to install sql separately and change the report server to not use ssl, the install fails with. Error : Setup cannot grant the TEST\DPMDBReaders$WIN-KNUHHGBI8HV account access to the DPM database. Verify that SQL Server is properly installed and that it is running. ID: 832 any ideas ? Hi Daniel, Is this group DPMDBReaders$WIN-KNUHHGBI8HV present on DC. Could you please paste the exception stack trace. Thanks Venkata Praveen -- This posting is provided "AS IS" wi...

Failed to get language error...
but I only get it on weekends. It seems to be tied to the warmup script I am running for SharePoint/Project 2007. The script hits these pages: /Pages/default.aspx /project/default.aspx /project/_layouts/pwa/admin/admin.aspx /10887/ every 10 minutes. This seems to be the timing of the errors on the weekend. What I don't understand is why it only happens on the weekend. The servers are under virtually no load during the weekends. ...

Installing Outlook Problem
I am trying to install my Office Enterprise 2007 Student software on my second PC and Outlook is Red Xd and will not install. Installation on first PC was error free. I have tried custom installation to no avail. I have an older 2003 Office program that I can't uninstall because but can't because the pack package can't be opened. (I would like to solve this problem also, if anyone has a suggestion). Is this causing a conflict with my Outlook install? Enterprise is a volume license, there is no student edition. You cannot install outlook if any other version exis...

synchronize sql 2008 r2
Hi I have three Servers with Windows Server 2008 r2 web edition, where I placed an sql 2008 r2 web edition on each. The devices are in the same Workgroup. Generally there is only one machine online. What is the best way to synchronize all data on the second or the third sql server, after booting one of these two servers? By "all data" I mean several databases aswell as newly created ones. Patrick ...

MAC OS Excel 2008 Visual Basic Programming
Hi All I have designed a application in MS Excel 2008 on Windows XP using Visual Basic Application (VBA). Each and every thing is going fine on my side. My client is using MAC OS and MS Office for MAC. When i deployed my application to Client end one serious problem comes arise. The problem is that when my client is opening this project he is getting it into the Design Mode. He is unable to select from drop downs, enter values to text boxes........ Please help me guys. I put my all the efforts. I think now its the time to put your efforts. ...

2008 Compatibility with PC
HELP: I upgraded to the new office 2008 for mac with the hope that the mac version will now be more compatible with PC versions -- but my client had to spend an hour downloading some patches to even open the thing. When I checked the online help, it appeared that the default format (.docx) would be best to use -- but this isn't working. Can you offer guidance on properly saving for cross-compatibility?? For cross-platform compatibility, I would do exactly as you have done: use the .docx format as your default. The overwhelming majority of PCs were updated to be able to read this format o...

Install screen when sending emails
I have a user who gets an MS Office installation popup when trying to send messages or reply. I don't have a CD to use to let it install whatever components it's trying to install. Anyone know why this would popup when everything appears to be working just fine otherwise? Where is the CD? Is this a network installation? If it is asking for the CD, you must insert it when required. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head...

Outlook won't store my Yahoo password, so mail checking fails?
I have just started using Outlook 2000, and followed the steps to add my Yahoo mail account. When I click send/receive I am prompted to enter my password (despite saving the password in the account settings) and sending fails after a timeout. I am able to receive mail however? Please help Jonwalker67 <Jonwalker67@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have just started using Outlook 2000, and followed the steps to add > my Yahoo mail account. Is this a paid Yahoo! account? Yahoo.com cannot be used with Outlook unless it's a paid Yahoo! account. -- Brian Tillman Hi ...

help: Installed Sharepoint Portal Server 2003 over WSS
And now I can't access the Business Portal or my old WSS sites. We're running Microsoft Business Portal for Great Plains on top of WSS 2.0. Today I installed Sharepoint Portal Server 2003 without first reading the migration guide (stupid of me). Now I can't get the old WSS sites or the Business Portal site to load. I created a new virtual server for the Sharepoint Portal Server before installing it and I believe the Sharepoint Portal created a new MSDE database so it didn't wipe out the old SHAREPOINT MSDE database. I need to get the Microsoft Business Portal and the old WSS ...

12.1.1 will not install at all
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Running 10.5.4, and I have installed 12.1.1 both through Auto Update and with a manual download from this site. Every time the installer confirms that the software was installed successfully, but when I check the version in any of the Office apps it tells me I'm still at 12.1.0, and the AutoUpdate when run continues to say that 12.1.1 needs to be installed. I've "installed" 12.1.1 at least half a dozen times, each supposedly successfully, and yet, no update. Any ideas? Thanks! "KJ239HBC@officefo...

If Any one have crm 3.0 installation and config certification dumps
Hi Folks , If Any one have crm 3.0 installation and config certification dumps , Please post it or send to krishnaATgmail.com Thanks Kris ...

Money 2004 Re-Install
Hey all, I bought the Money 2004 Deluxe download edition (where they just send you the registration code) and I'm trying to reinstall after a disk failure. I reinstalled the trial edition as I'd originally done (which required setting back my PC clock to 2004 *shrugs*) but the tools > registration option is diabled, and the 'Upgrade' option takes me to a useless micorosft.com webpage stating the product is no longer for sale (duh heh). Reading through the thread it sounds like I'm not the first to have this problem and it seems some say it's futile (or just by a d...

MS Office
I'm having problems with MS Office including Outlook. The user is on a Win 2k machine using MS Office 2000. Whenever the machine tries to open word, excel, etc etc a 'Windows Installer' box appears and it is trying to find the installation CD? This keeps appearing over and over again, I have tried to put the CD in the drive. I've tried to reinstall the software but nothing changes. Please help Thank you ...

Converter failed to save file
I've recently installed Office 2007 Enterprise package and can no longer read pdf files either directly from a web site or in an email from another PC. There seem to be several references to this issue on Google but no-one seems to have a definitive answer. Can anyone help please? -- A. T. Hen Do you get an error message? If so, what does it say *exactly*? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Attila the Hen" <AttilatheHen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A...

Edit workflow rule fails with 'The root element is missing'
Editing rule as usual and I get the above error. New rule fails as well. I am simply trying to add a condition over a field that is a lookup field on the form and I have never had trouble before. Only thing I can think of is that the entity name in the CRM was changed from the original but that was many months ago. CRM 3.0 Any ideas? ...