Workflow Rules: Changing Owner/Business Unit

We have a workflow rule which was modified by a user. After the
modification, the rule took on that user's business unit as its
business unit. I need to put the rule back in the original business
unit (which is our top-level BU.) but I can't figure out how to change
this. I've searched and searched and can't find any information on
setting the business unit for a workflow rule. All I found was in the
MSCRM Help where it says that the workflow rule has the business unit
of it's owner which is set to the creator. This particular rule was
modified by the user, but not created by that user, however the owner
was changed after the modification.

MS CRM 3.0 on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris
0
rpmonkey (3)
8/18/2008 11:51:38 PM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

I think modifing the workflow makes the person the owner, so it transfered
owership in a lower BU.  Have you tried making another modification yourself?

"ChrisV" wrote:

> We have a workflow rule which was modified by a user. After the
> modification, the rule took on that user's business unit as its
> business unit. I need to put the rule back in the original business
> unit (which is our top-level BU.) but I can't figure out how to change
> this. I've searched and searched and can't find any information on
> setting the business unit for a workflow rule. All I found was in the
> MSCRM Help where it says that the workflow rule has the business unit
> of it's owner which is set to the creator. This particular rule was
> modified by the user, but not created by that user, however the owner
> was changed after the modification.
>
> MS CRM 3.0 on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Chris

My account is also part of a lower level BU, I guess I'll have to use
the Administrator account to modify the rule. Is this the same
behavior in CRM 4? It's VERY annoying! It should at least provide a
warning when editing the workflow that saving the changes will result
in a change to the BU of the workflow. This basically means that any
customizer has to be part of the parent BU if they want to manage
workflows for the entire organization. You also can't have one
customizer create different workflows for different BUs.

Thanks,

-Chris

On Aug 18, 8:45=A0pm, Curt Spanburgh
<CurtSpanbu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I think modifing the workflow makes the person the owner, so it transfere=
> owership in a lower BU. =A0Have you tried making another modification you=
rself?

> "ChrisV" wrote:
> > We have a workflow rule which was modified by a user. After the
> > modification, the rule took on that user's business unit as its
> > business unit. I need to put the rule back in the original business
> > unit (which is our top-level BU.) but I can't figure out how to change
> > this. I've searched and searched and can't find any information on
> > setting the business unit for a workflow rule. All I found was in the
> > MSCRM Help where it says that the workflow rule has the business unit
> > of it's owner which is set to the creator. This particular rule was
> > modified by the user, but not created by that user, however the owner
> > was changed after the modification.
>
> > MS CRM 3.0 on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000.
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> > -Chris- Hide quoted text -

rpmonkey (3)
8/19/2008 3:33:50 PM
In CRM 4.0 you can assign the workflow to a different owner (assuming you
have the permission to do so), just like any other record in CRM.

Dave Ireland

"ChrisV" <rpmonkey@gmail.com> wrote in message
My account is also part of a lower level BU, I guess I'll have to use
the Administrator account to modify the rule. Is this the same
behavior in CRM 4? It's VERY annoying! It should at least provide a
warning when editing the workflow that saving the changes will result
in a change to the BU of the workflow. This basically means that any
customizer has to be part of the parent BU if they want to manage
workflows for the entire organization. You also can't have one
customizer create different workflows for different BUs.

Thanks,

-Chris

On Aug 18, 8:45 pm, Curt Spanburgh
<CurtSpanbu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> I think modifing the workflow makes the person the owner, so it transfered
> owership in a lower BU. Have you tried making another modification
> yourself?
>

> "ChrisV" wrote:
> > We have a workflow rule which was modified by a user. After the
> > modification, the rule took on that user's business unit as its
> > business unit. I need to put the rule back in the original business
> > unit (which is our top-level BU.) but I can't figure out how to change
> > this. I've searched and searched and can't find any information on
> > setting the business unit for a workflow rule. All I found was in the
> > MSCRM Help where it says that the workflow rule has the business unit
> > of it's owner which is set to the creator. This particular rule was
> > modified by the user, but not created by that user, however the owner
> > was changed after the modification.
>
> > MS CRM 3.0 on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000.
>
> > Thanks in advance,
>
> > -Chris- Hide quoted text -

direland (470)
8/20/2008 12:16:55 PM
Thanks for the information. Looking forward to upgrading to 4.0.

On Aug 20, 5:16=A0am, "Dave Ireland" <direl...@salentica.com> wrote:
> In CRM 4.0 you can assign the workflow to a different owner (assuming you
> have the permission to do so), just like any other record in CRM.
>
> Dave Ireland
>
> "ChrisV" <rpmon...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> My account is also part of a lower level BU, I guess I'll have to use
> the Administrator account to modify the rule. Is this the same
> behavior in CRM 4? It's VERY annoying! It should at least provide a
> warning when editing the workflow that saving the changes will result
> in a change to the BU of the workflow. This basically means that any
> customizer has to be part of the parent BU if they want to manage
> workflows for the entire organization. You also can't have one
> customizer create different workflows for different BUs.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Chris
>
> On Aug 18, 8:45 pm, Curt Spanburgh
>

> <CurtSpanbu...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I think modifing the workflow makes the person the owner, so it transfe=
red
> > owership in a lower BU. Have you tried making another modification
> > yourself?
>
> > "ChrisV" wrote:
> > > We have a workflow rule which was modified by a user. After the
> > > modification, the rule took on that user's business unit as its
> > > business unit. I need to put the rule back in the original business
> > > unit (which is our top-level BU.) but I can't figure out how to chang=
> > > this. I've searched and searched and can't find any information on
> > > setting the business unit for a workflow rule. All I found was in the
> > > MSCRM Help where it says that the workflow rule has the business unit
> > > of it's owner which is set to the creator. This particular rule was
> > > modified by the user, but not created by that user, however the owner
> > > was changed after the modification.
>
> > > MS CRM 3.0 on Windows Server 2003 and SQL Server 2000.
>
> > > Thanks in advance,
>
> > > -Chris- Hide quoted text -

rpmonkey (3)

How do I change the default color of the tag for insert c... #2
This issue has me perplexed. I don't enjoy the default red color tag while doing an insert comment. Does anyone know how to change the default color? Thanks in advance. You can't change the color. You could use the Drawing Tools to draw a tiny little triangle over it (or them) and then give it a fill color. See http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments01.html for more on comments. tj "ntwrkengnr@hotmail.com" wrote: > This issue has me perplexed. I don't enjoy the default red color tag while > doing an insert comment. Does anyone know how to change the default c...

rules for outgoing messages
All I want to do is set a rule to send a sent message to be deleted [In Eudora it goes to Trash] I do no think Outlook will let me do this unless I specify the recipient and there does not seem a way to configure any recipient. Looks like Eudora is all over Outlook for email performance Henry Benjamin <henrybenj@yahoo.com> wrote: > Looks like Eudora is all over Outlook for email performance Well, one reason is that Eudora is ONLY a mail client. Outlook is a lot more and for a PIM, it works very well, at least for me. As to deleting a sent message, if you're going to del...

Outlook 2007
All of a sudden today when I hit reply to messages in my inbox, or forward messages in my inbox, they are automatically removed from my inbox. Of course they remain in my sent box, but I prefer to keep the original message in my inbox as well. I have not changed settings at all on this but for some reason it started to do this today. I cannot find any reference to this in the help file online. I do NOT have it set to view unread messages only. Sounds like you're looking at a view or search folder that's filtered to = show only unread items.=20 --=20 Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP ...

Changing individual characters in a cell to a different character
I am trying to write a bit of code that will look at a cell and covert what's in the cell to some sort of code. e.g. Hello Goodbye Yes No The above words are in different cells, and need converting to a different code, for example H is 1, e is 2, l is 3 and 0 is 4, so Hello would be 12334 The entries to the cells will be different, so I can't just do a select case and have Hello as one of them. Is there any way of doing a select case type statement, but for it to look at individual characters in a cell and cycle through until it's finished and then move onto the next c...

how can i change a linked sound file to become an embedded
i am trying to package up a powerpoint presenatation that contains an audio track - which is an mp4 file. Within the presentation the sound file is currently a linked file. I've tried using the 'package to cd' function but I can still not get the sound to work when i then put the cd into other computers. so how can i embed it instead? i've tried deleting the track, raising the 'sound size limit' to 6000 kb and resinserting it-but that doesnt work. the file is 5.3MB. My plan is to ultimately email the presentation - but it's vital that the s...

How to change a single page orientation in one documet?
I have one set document with 10 pages inside. But I need only two pages (i.e page 6&7) display as landscape format. The rest let it be potrait. How to do it? "Trisya247" <Trisya247@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29DD3074-1BE6-4CB8-BD57-72EAA4181AEF@microsoft.com... > I have one set document with 10 pages inside. But I need only two pages > (i.e > page 6&7) display as landscape format. The rest let it be potrait. How to > do > it? Create a section break before and after each page you want to be landscape.... htt...

Change FROM email
We are looking at a web fax servcie and would like to have some of our automated emails use a common email address when sending a fax so that all go into a common user inbox. Is that possible? Thanks. -- David Yes, it's possible, but the details depend on the Outlook version and whether the common inbox is in an Exchange mailbox. You should always include information like that when posting on an Outlook forum. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook 2007 Programming: Jumpstart for Power Users and Administrators http://www.outlookcode.com/arti...

How do I stop Excel from changing simple numbers to their 1/100th.
I'm working with the latest service pack of Excel 2000. Every number I enter into any blank cell becomes that number's 100th decimal value. For example, typing "2" in a cell results in "0.02" when I leave the cell. This did not used to happen, but I don't know what I did to make it happen, nor what to do to stop it from happening. CC hi goto 'Tools - Options - Edit' and uncheck 'Fixed decimals' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Chris C wrote: > I'm working with the latest service pack of Excel 2000. > Every number I ente...

How do I change x-axis in an Excel Radar Chart?
I would like to plot a radar chart with 360 points however the excel radar assigns a line for each point, I would like to reduce this to 1 line every 10 degrees. Is this possible? Ideally I would like a polar plot graph where I can enter any angle and magnitude. Does such a thing exist? Hi, For polar plot you can use the xy scatter. I have an addin that may help. http://www.andypope.info/charts/polarplot.htm Cheers Andy Dr. J.White wrote: > I would like to plot a radar chart with 360 points however the excel radar > assigns a line for each point, I would like to reduce this...

Business Portal Installation #5
I am not able to install Business Portal for GP 10. While installing i got a message saying as below The following selected items are not registered or are not installed in the back office: Requisition Management Business Portal Employee Pay Employee Profile Recruitment Skills and Training Time and Attendance Key Performance Indicators Electronic Document Delivery Project Time and Expense eOrder Can someone help me in resolving this issue. How can i register these in back office? On Apr 28, 5:09=A0am, Mohan <Mo...@discussions.mic...

Changing default format for http references.
Microsoft Office Publisher 2003. How can I set the default for http references in a publication so that it is not a hyperlink? It is a nuisance to have every usage of http://something converted to hyperlink format and then to have to go back through the document and clear each one (and likely overlook several). Try, edit, find... replace -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://www.msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "James Hahn" <JamesHahn@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:OrYtBHyqEHA.708@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Microsoft Office Publi...

How to change from OTA to Cable Clear QAM in WMC7
When I installed my tuner, I set up Live TV for OTA DTV. Got terrible reception, so I am trying to re-setup the live TV for digital cable clear QAM. I can't seem to find the menu to change the way TV signals are acquired. When I tried to change the TV signal menu, it entered the setup process after the point that OTA DTV is selected. I really just want to erase everything I did for live TV and start over. Is there a way to do this, without re-installing windows? ...

Using a sub procedure to change a subform property
I am currently using the following code to change the AllowEdits property on any form. The form calls the Sub procedure through a button's OnClick event. Sub UnlockForm(strFormName As String) On Error GoTo Err_unlockform If Forms(strFormName).AllowEdits = False Then Forms(strFormName).AllowEdits = True MsgBox "Form is now unlocked for editing." End If Exit_unlockform: Exit Sub Err_unlockform: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_unlockform End Sub I am trying to call this Sub procedure from a button on a subform. I was going to us...

Changing the name part of a From address in outbound emails
When emails are sent from one of our pcs, the name of the pc (APC017) is being displayed to the email's recipient as part of the 'From:' field (ie. the From field shows APC017<mail@mycompany.com>). How do we change the APC017 part? We have changed the Display Name and other properties but it has not made any difference. We don't want to change all of our email addresses - just customise this specific one. We are using Small Business Server 2003 with Exchange 2003 SP2 and Outlook 2003. Apologies if this is something really simple! Many thanks Graham You will most l...

i want to allow users to edit changes afetr password protect of c
Please use the body of the message to describe what you want. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 01:15:02 -0700, mamta raul <mamta raul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: ...

how to change stub height on statement?
The default stub height on the statement.xml is 3 inches. I want to change this to 3.5 inches, but when I change the StubHeight value in the xml file to 3.5, it moves the stub border down to 3.5" correctly, but messes up the rest of the statement below the payment stub. The variable I changed must affect other parts of the statement. How can I avoid this? Thanks, kevin never mind, i re-printed a few times and was unable to repeat the printing error, could have just been a fluke. on the first print after changing the stubheight property, the account summary and account receivab...

Automatic changes in cell entries
How does one shut off the abjectly rediculous habit of Excel insisting on knowing better what I want for cell entries than I do? EG If I type AKs I want AKs not Aks... :mad: I have reviewed all the options in Tools|Options as well as other places to no avail. TIA tools-option-edit and the last item <enable autocomplete cell values> uncheck this doco <perdedor@centurytel.net> wrote in message news:#LhMjTA4EHA.3472@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > How does one shut off the abjectly rediculous habit of Excel insisting on > knowing better what I want for cell entries than I ...

Ability to Change PO Number When Generating PO From Sales Order
When generating a Purchase Order using the SOP to POP link (from Sales Transaction Entry) would like the ability to change the next PO Number. ...

Error message with security roles changes
Hi Gary, Thank you to mention me make copies before I change the security roles. I tried to change the security roles in three ways: 1. Make changes to the original security roles, then save; 2. Make copies of the original security roles; 3. Make changes to the copies of the original roles, then save. All come up with an error message after a long time waiting. Can you please give me some ideas about what's the possible cause? By the way, in the event logs, it says that security descriptors have been changed successfully. Also, I can see that all the commands are excuted on SQ...

Multiple Rules
Hi I need to set up about 35 rules in outlook, is there a quick way of doing this rather than doing each one individually? -- timwilliams77 "timwilliams77" <timwilliams77.5488265@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:timwilliams77.5488265@outlookbanter.com... > I need to set up about 35 rules in outlook, is there a quick way of > doing this rather than doing each one individually? How would setting them up otherwise be any quicker? Let's assume, for example, that you could just make them using, say, Notepad. It would take you almos...

Changing properties with a function
Hi all, I'm trying to change the colour and special effect of a rectangle through a function because I want to have stop and go lights and I want to be changing them frequently, so my function is like this: Public Function SwitchOn (BoxName) as String Form_Home.BoxName.BackColor.Value = 4634122 Form_Home.BoxName.SpecialEffect.Value = "Sunken" end function then I call it by using: switchon (box1) - also tried switchon ("box1") but it doesn't want to work at all... how do I get the damn thing to work???? Do I have to set BoxName as a Rectangle or an Object ins...

How do I change one point in a scatter chart color
I want to change teh colour of one point in a scatter chart, for example Person Score Age time A 25 20 1 B 20 14 1.5 C 22 22 0.75 D 23 23 1.25 I want to plot score against age, but highlight the point where the time is less than 1. Any help would be appreciated Hi, The easiest way is to add another series to plot just the points that need a different colour. Assuming your data example is in the range A1:D5 then add this formula to E2 and drag down to E5. =IF(D2<1,C2,NA())...

Business Portal 2.0 and SQL Reporting Services
Hello - I just recently installed Business Portal on a new server and then installed SQL reporting services on the same box. The installation of SQL reporting services broke Business Portal! I can get to http://server/reports but not http://server/sites/BusinessPortal. What do I need to get these both to work on the same box? Thank You!! Good Morning!! What error message do you get when you try to browse to Business Portal? I don't know much about SQL Reporting Services, but do you have to select a website for it to run? Thanks, Rekoj "GreenThumb" wrote: > Hell...

Rules won't work #2
My rules don't always work. Sometimes my emails go to a completely different folder than where they are supposed to go and sometimes they stay in the inbox. This happens about 75% of the time. Is there something I can do to fix this? -- Francine Version of Outlook? Exact rule? Make sure you've sorted and added the action "and stop processing rules" accordingly. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Francine" <...

Business Contact Manager
Have a complementary copy of MS Office Pro. 2003. How can I obtain Business Contact Manager for Outlook? Thanks Outlook 2003 with Business Contact Manager http://www.microsoft.com/office/outlook/contactmanager/prodinfo/default.mspx -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25f801c512d9$43935760$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Have a complementary copy of MS Office Pro. 2003. How can > I obtain Business Contact Manager for Outlook? > > Thanks ...