Which server should be the best - SQL Server or CRM?

I have two new servers that both meet the minimal specs.  One is faster and
has more memory.  Use it for SQL Server or the CRM Server?
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

What about hard drive space?

In general, I'd make the SQL box teh better one (especially with memory).

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:50:05 -0800, "Larry" <Larry@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

I have two new servers that both meet the minimal specs.  One is faster and
has more memory.  Use it for SQL Server or the CRM Server?

0
Matt
11/10/2004 9:57:46 PM
Definitely, all the CRM server has to (regularly) do is serve some web pages
and mails, whereas the SQL server has to churn through all your data.
I think it's generally good practice to give your database servers power in
preference to the app.
the sql server is doing a lot of work and should be the fastest server but
at the same time the web server is also compiling asp.net pages etc so
having a fast sql server and a slow web server is not a good idea. As always
its a balancing act and for more performance drop in more memory

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"Nick Doyle" <NickDoyle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Definitely, all the CRM server has to (regularly) do is serve some web
pages
> and mails, whereas the SQL server has to churn through all your data.
> I think it's generally good practice to give your database servers power
in
> preference to the app.

0
John

Automating a Queue in CRM
I've been working with CRM at our company and it doesn't look like I can apply a workflow rule to a queue, just objects like contacts, accounts, etc. Is there an easy way to automate a queue after it is set up. For example if an email comes into a customer support queue to route the email to a particular CRM user ? You can't drive workflow off of Activities in this release. CRM 2005 will have the ability to drive workflow off the Activity objects. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Tue, 16 N...

How do you close a CRM 3.0 Service Ticket?
We just started using CRM 3.0 and are testing it out. There doesn't seem to be a way to close a service ticket in CRM 3.0. How do you close a ticket in CRM 3.0? While inside the case record, from the actions menu, select resolve case or cancel case. "DeWayne" wrote: > We just started using CRM 3.0 and are testing it out. There doesn't seem to > be a way to close a service ticket in CRM 3.0. How do you close a ticket in > CRM 3.0? I figured it out just moments before reading your post, but thanks for the help anyway. "Jason Lattimer" wrote: > ...

Reporting in CRM help!!!!!!!
Hi guys, It would be great if anyone could help me with this one. In the Sales Pipline report instead of using estimatedvalue for my calculations I want to use another custom field. Does anyone know how this can be done and if so how. I don't want to change any of the functionality of the report just simple change the field that use. My custom field is also a Money field Thanks Will Assuming you are using v3.0, You need visual studio to modify reports. Reports are saved in SQL reporting Services. If you are using 1.2, you customize reports using crystal "Will" wrote: ...

Exchange Server 2007 and Domain Controllers
Hello, Could someone please tell me if I have to install Exchange Server 2007 on a AD Domain Controller, or can it be installed on a member server? I have a Windows 2008 Server that is a member server in a Windows 2003 Active Directory network that I'm looking to install Exchange 2007 on. Also, could someone tell me if there are any articles out there that will help me install my Exchange 2007 in the same domain as an existing Exchange 2003 Server (running on Windows 2000 Server)? I'm looking to install the new Exchange 2007 as a new server (new name) and migrate th...

MS-CRM should support Recurring Appointment
MS-CRM should support Recurrring Appointment, just like MS-Outlook. Since CRM works in Outlook, this functionality should be available. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/defau...

Closed Opportunity Description in Database
When you close an opportunity you can enter a description, this does not get added to the description for the opportunity, and I can't figure out where to get it either to use in an email template or what database table it is in. Anyone know? This is in CRM version 4.0. There is a systm entity called Opportunityclose. It is available in the database FilteredOpportunityClose view. I don't think you can get to it from an email template, but you definately can from a report/SQL query. This is the same story for the case resolution description. "JR" wrote: > Whe...

Upgrading reports from CRM 3.0 to 4.0
Having spent around 10 hours trying to upgrade a custom report from CRM 3.0 to CRM 4.0, I thought I’d post a message to share my pain and the solution! It appears that in CRM 4.0 Microsoft have made a change to the way in which the standard reports retrieve the name of the user running the report. I have been unable to find any documentation about this. If you have a custom report that is based on a standard CRM 3.0 report (i.e. it has the CRM_FullName parameter & UserInfo dataset) and upload it into CRM 4.0 then try to run it, you may get either of the following behaviours • Th...

how to view the mail on the exchange mail server
hi, i want to know one thing how to view the mails of one particular mailbox on the server,can i read that message pls give me suggestion,how i can do this thing.os is 2003 server and exchange 2003. if some one know this thing pls give immediate response. from jitender Hi I don’t really understood your question If you have the appropriate permission you can use Outlook or OWA Regards, Shai Netanel "jitender" wrote: > hi, > i want to know one thing how to view the mails of one particular > mailbox on the server,can i read that message pls give me > suggestion,how i ...

Microsoft CRM and Team Foundation Server
We are looking at implementing Microsoft Team Foundation Server and Microsoft CRM. Can anyone tell me if I will run into problems if I try to install both of these on one box? ...

CRM Titan Language Packs Download
Guys, Any idea if I can download langauage packs for CRM Titan and from where? Hello Ramy, If your company has access to the partner site, you can download the language packs there. Please check my blog for the URL Regards, Hans Veldman Business Consultant Microsoft Dynamics CRM http://microsoftdynamicscrm.blogspot.com/ "ramy" wrote: > Guys, > Any idea if I can download langauage packs for CRM Titan and from where? ...

CRM 3.0 crm Microsoft CRM-Exchange E-mail Router
HI all, i send the email from CRM to other people. but no have any recipient received the mail. i go event viewer check, no have any error msg found. my CRM 3.0 Server is install in computer a, Microsoft CRM-Exchange E-mail Router is on another server. what can i do to find out the what cause the email can't send. any help will be greatly apprieated. Hi, When i run Rule Deployment Wizard - and apply the rule to accounts, then i run Rule Deployment Wizard -and verify the rules. all users get the error message "The rule is apply but is not enabled" what does this mean? a...

VPC with CRM and GP
Any VPC with CRM, GP, and integration connector installed? If a VPC not available, can you suggest any document or resource? My interest is with respect to data mapping between these applications and how the data integration can help. Thanks in advance. Venkat Hi Venkat, I have not see a VPC with GP and CRM. You can always download the CRM VPC which is available in the Microsoft website, then install GP and the integration adaptor on it. if you are looking for a GP to CRM integration, you might want to look ito 3rd party products like Scribe... Hope this helps! Darren Liu, Microsoft...

CRM License 07-23-04
I recently installed CRM on one of our servers using the sample license key which is only used for 5 users, but as an MCP we are entitled to a 10 user CRM license. Does anyone know where I can obtain this license or who to talk to/email? Thanks. There should be information in your pack of stuff from MS about how to register for your keys. Once you register, they will issue an Org Name/License key combo to you and those values will be needed for your isntallation. Matt Parks MVP - Microsoft CRM ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Fri, 23 ...

Hyperlink link in workflow emails (CRM 4.0)
Hi, Got so many articles but all are perfect. Using CRM 4.0. I would like to include hyperlink in Workflow email. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.crm&tid=bbf7c5cf-4a61-45b4-a8e7-8c37eebcffed&cat=en_US_f9cb8267-48ed-4f92-9f39-209bbcb29eb1&lang=en&cr=US&sloc=&p=1 Issue is: Email generated through workflow, but the http... shows as plain text, not as hyperlink. Any suggestion will be appreciated. -mac Hello John, Did you copy and paste in a hyperlink, or type in the url? You may want to copy and paste a hyper...

XMLSerializer and SQL Server
Hello, I'm trying to use the FOR XML EXPLICIT clause with SQL Server to deserialize data from my database into a strongly-typed collection object that I will use throughout my application. I initially tested my design by building a collection in code and then serializing it to/from an XML file, which worked fine. However, I have hit a brick wall trying to restore the data from SQL Server. I originally had my collection and object classes just marked as [Serializable()] without any of the XML Serialization attributes; however, replacing the "standard" serialization a...

mailing list servers for Exchange 2000/2003?
Are there any decent majordomo/listserv servers that integrate with Windows 2003 and Exchange 2000/2003? Try http://www.ikakura.com "Robert Gordon" <Robert_Gordon@nospam.perlegen.com> wrote in message news:#X1spgS5DHA.1368@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Are there any decent majordomo/listserv servers that integrate with Windows > 2003 and Exchange 2000/2003? > > ...

How do I use Outlook 2003 with the Win2003 built-in POP3 server?
I am running a small network using Win2003 R2 servers and XP Pro workstations. I do not have Exchange and use the built-in POP3 server for email. I am using Outlook 2007 on the workstations to retrieve mail, but my users need to roam. All my users' data is redirected to an NFS share on my servers and I have relocated their pst files to their home folders. This seems to work OK, except for one user. In this case, when she opens Outlook, she gets the initial setup condition and we need to re-enter all her data again. The pst file seems to be intact and her mail is not lost. I h...

Hotmail/outlook 0x800CCC0D error 'server not found'
for the last 4 days I been getting intermittent error message with my Outlook2003..............Task 'Hotmail: Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers.' reported error (0x800CCC0D) : 'The server could not be found.' I've been grandfathered in so I am allowed to use Outlook with my Hotmail. I've repaired outlook, used the Winsock fixer, turned off NAV and Norton Security, went from wireless to plugged directly in the the cable modem, etc. Now I found out my Father, next town over, is having the same happen to him. Different Internet provider. Looking on the http://su...

SQL Smartlist uses?
Hi, I am not a GP user but I need to use SQL to retrieve information from it. The information is in a smart list my client created. I used the smartlist builder to find each table & view used to create the data set. I tried to mirror the joins the smartlist builder uses but I don't get the entire data set. The smartlist returns data for 2007 but my query returns data up to 12/31/2006. How can I get the same results the smartlist yields from SQL? Thanks, Ivan Ivan, If this query is against the GL, from what you're saying, it sounds like 2006 has been closed, and 2007 is open...

decreasing performance when SQL in mixed mode
The installation guide of MS says that you should use as authentication method Windows Only or Mixed Mode for SQL server. Only Windows only would be safer. Because of different reasons (a mailmerge Add_on and the server is hosted at an ASP), we would like to set the authentication mode of the SQL server to Mixed Mode. The performance of the CRM server is going down dramatically when you do that. Anyone any idea how to solve this problem? We have MS Crm 1.2, Small Business Server 2003, A dual Xeon with 2 Megabytes of Ram and I think 100 accounts in the database. ...

GP 8.0 and SQL 2000 Optimal File Size
I have questions about SQL Server 2000 databases with Great Plains 8.0 and file size. After the upgrade to 8.0 our Company database has ballooned to a whopping 9 GB (including the transaction log). It was 7 GB before the upgrade. It seems really large to me and was wondering what the recommended settings were for the SQL databases with Great Plains. I have looked in the Knowledgebase and haven't found anything to give me good answers. Here are the specs on the Company database: Database Size = 7,184 MB, Space Used = 4,655 MB Log Size = 2,162 MB, Space Used = 76.99 MB Auto G...

Close Past Appointments automatically in CRM 3.0
In CRM 1.2 there use to be a stored procedure that would automatically close past appointments. In CRM 3.0 the SQL Job is still listed but the stored procedure is gone. Is there a way to get this back in CRM 3.0? Thanks Angela You can do that with workflows. Take a look at this blog post: http://www.cwrmobility.nl/weblog/2006/01/automatically-close-appointments-after.html HTH, -- Jeffry van de Vuurst CWR Mobility www.cwrmobility.com -- "astuartmills" <astuartmills@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46BBBB6B-93AD-451F-810A-C8B42F750221@microsoft.com... &g...

Updating the ntext data type in SQL Server from a MFC Application
How would perform this type of update using IADORecordBinding? I have been trying to work with WCHAR, adLongVarWChar and CString. I can declare WCHAR as a static array but this limits the amount of input available. I need something more dynamic. ...

Adding user CAL to Action Pack CRM 3.0 SBE
Hello, We have CRM 3.0 SBE installed from our Action Pack subscription. We have need to go beyond the 10 included user licenses and have purchased 2 more SBE user CALs through Microsoft Open Licensing (along with a 5-pack of 2003 SBS CALs we needed). The problem is on the eopen website where I get the license keys for the 2003 SBS CALs, the new CRM user CALs are listed but there is no license key. I have no idea how to get the key needed to add the licenses we just purchased to our current CRM installation. I can't even seem to find anyone to call who even understands the problem. ...

sychronizing data between two servers
Hello: We just moved GP and its SQL data from one server to another. The old server will be used as a backup server, should the new server ever go offline. In the event that the new server does go offline, IT will take backups of the SQL databases and restore into the old server. The head of IT is wondering if there is some sort of automated means of synchronizing the data between the two servers. Ideally, he'd like to press a button on Friday or Saturday and have the new GP transactions and changes transferred to the old server. Is there a such way of accomplishing this? chil...