Web services in CRM

This may be a question more for microsoft.public.dotnet.language, but I'll
try anyway!

I don't have a dotnet background so the question may also be silly.

I want to connect to MS-CRM using web services. I cannot find any WSDL files
with which I can achieve this. (I want customers to be able to track service
requests). How do I/can I connect to CRM using non dotnet web services?

Maybe an option is for me to learn some dotnet, write an interface and
expose it using WSDL.... I'd prefer not to, time is tight and I have a
design to finish!

Cheers,
Lindsay

0
Lindsay
10/18/2004 7:37:06 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

There are no WSDL files in MS CRM you have to use the API wich you can access
with Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Proxy.dll and Microsoft.Crm.Platform.Types.dll

"Lindsay" wrote:

> This may be a question more for microsoft.public.dotnet.language, but I'll
> try anyway!
>
> I don't have a dotnet background so the question may also be silly.
>
> I want to connect to MS-CRM using web services. I cannot find any WSDL files
> with which I can achieve this. (I want customers to be able to track service
> requests). How do I/can I connect to CRM using non dotnet web services?
>
> Maybe an option is for me to learn some dotnet, write an interface and
> expose it using WSDL.... I'd prefer not to, time is tight and I have a
> design to finish!
>
> Cheers,
> Lindsay

Lindsay,

The SDK calls are all technically exposed web services.  However, you need to be
able to pass an autorization context amongst the various calls and that would
probably be difficult to do from a non-.Net language.  Best bet would be to
write a wrapper Web service that gets the response from the calling app and then
invokes the CRM SDK calls as needed.

Anotheer thing, please note that if ou are directly interacting with the SDK
calls, then each customer in your case would require a CRM License.  There is
not a provision in the licensing scheme to handle a portal application like you
have indicated you are building.

A way around the licensing limitation would be direct SQL calls to the DB.  As
long as you are only reading data, then this should not be a problem.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:37:06 +1000, "Lindsay" <do_not_email_me@i_hate_spam.com>
wrote:

This may be a question more for microsoft.public.dotnet.language, but I'll
try anyway!

I don't have a dotnet background so the question may also be silly.

I want to connect to MS-CRM using web services. I cannot find any WSDL files
with which I can achieve this. (I want customers to be able to track service
requests). How do I/can I connect to CRM using non dotnet web services?

Maybe an option is for me to learn some dotnet, write an interface and
expose it using WSDL.... I'd prefer not to, time is tight and I have a
design to finish!

Cheers,
Lindsay

0
Matt
10/18/2004 3:03:35 PM
Hi Matt,

"each customer in your case would require a CRM License"

Does this mean that I cannot write a web app in .NET that uses the CRM web
services to read from the case list and write the details to a web page, so
that our clients can see case history? This would have to be done by reading
the SQL database directly?

Matt

"Matt Parks" <mattp65@Yax_RemoveDashAndX_xhoo.com> wrote in message
> Lindsay,
>
> The SDK calls are all technically exposed web services.  However, you need
to be
> able to pass an autorization context amongst the various calls and that
would
> probably be difficult to do from a non-.Net language.  Best bet would be
> write a wrapper Web service that gets the response from the calling app
and then
> invokes the CRM SDK calls as needed.
>
> Anotheer thing, please note that if ou are directly interacting with the
SDK
> calls, then each customer in your case would require a CRM License.  There
is
> not a provision in the licensing scheme to handle a portal application
like you
> have indicated you are building.
>
> A way around the licensing limitation would be direct SQL calls to the DB.
As
> long as you are only reading data, then this should not be a problem.
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:37:06 +1000, "Lindsay"
<do_not_email_me@i_hate_spam.com>
> wrote:
>
> This may be a question more for microsoft.public.dotnet.language, but I'll
> try anyway!
>
> I don't have a dotnet background so the question may also be silly.
>
> I want to connect to MS-CRM using web services. I cannot find any WSDL
files
> with which I can achieve this. (I want customers to be able to track
service
> requests). How do I/can I connect to CRM using non dotnet web services?
>
> Maybe an option is for me to learn some dotnet, write an interface and
> expose it using WSDL.... I'd prefer not to, time is tight and I have a
> design to finish!
>
> Cheers,
> Lindsay

0
Matt
10/18/2004 3:56:19 PM
You can do this. However, you will have to use impersonation on your custom
website to impersonate the identity of a user who has all the access
required for the records your are dealing with.

HTH,
Rick.
"Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Matt,
>
> "each customer in your case would require a CRM License"
>
> Does this mean that I cannot write a web app in .NET that uses the CRM web
> services to read from the case list and write the details to a web page,
> so
> that our clients can see case history? This would have to be done by
> reading
> the SQL database directly?
>
> Matt
>
> "Matt Parks" <mattp65@Yax_RemoveDashAndX_xhoo.com> wrote in message
>> Lindsay,
>>
>> The SDK calls are all technically exposed web services.  However, you
>> need
> to be
>> able to pass an autorization context amongst the various calls and that
> would
>> probably be difficult to do from a non-.Net language.  Best bet would be
>> write a wrapper Web service that gets the response from the calling app
> and then
>> invokes the CRM SDK calls as needed.
>>
>> Anotheer thing, please note that if ou are directly interacting with the
> SDK
>> calls, then each customer in your case would require a CRM License.
>> There
> is
>> not a provision in the licensing scheme to handle a portal application
> like you
>> have indicated you are building.
>>
>> A way around the licensing limitation would be direct SQL calls to the
>> DB.
> As
>> long as you are only reading data, then this should not be a problem.
>>
>> Matt Parks
>> MVP - Microsoft CRM

>> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:37:06 +1000, "Lindsay"
> <do_not_email_me@i_hate_spam.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> This may be a question more for microsoft.public.dotnet.language, but
>> I'll
>> try anyway!
>>
>> I don't have a dotnet background so the question may also be silly.
>>
>> I want to connect to MS-CRM using web services. I cannot find any WSDL
> files
>> with which I can achieve this. (I want customers to be able to track
> service
>> requests). How do I/can I connect to CRM using non dotnet web services?
>>
>> Maybe an option is for me to learn some dotnet, write an interface and
>> expose it using WSDL.... I'd prefer not to, time is tight and I have a
>> design to finish!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Lindsay

0
Rick
10/18/2004 7:36:36 PM
Thanks guys!

Might be best to go with the DB read I think. Certainly will be simpler to
implement.

Cheers,
Lindsay.

"Lindsay" <do_not_email_me@i_hate_spam.com> wrote in message
> This may be a question more for microsoft.public.dotnet.language, but I'll
> try anyway!
>
> I don't have a dotnet background so the question may also be silly.
>
> I want to connect to MS-CRM using web services. I cannot find any WSDL
> files with which I can achieve this. (I want customers to be able to track
> service requests). How do I/can I connect to CRM using non dotnet web
> services?
>
> Maybe an option is for me to learn some dotnet, write an interface and
> expose it using WSDL.... I'd prefer not to, time is tight and I have a
> design to finish!
>
> Cheers,
> Lindsay

0
Lindsay
10/19/2004 1:59:25 AM
Matt,

According to the CRM LIcense agreement, any user that accesses data through the
SDK API calls requires a valid CRM license.  The approach Rick outlined, while
possible, is a violation of the licensing agreement.

MS has indicated the CRM 2005 should  have some sort of "portal" license
available, but nothing is expected before then.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 11:56:19 -0400, "Matt" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

Hi Matt,

"each customer in your case would require a CRM License"

Does this mean that I cannot write a web app in .NET that uses the CRM web
services to read from the case list and write the details to a web page, so
that our clients can see case history? This would have to be done by reading
the SQL database directly?

Matt

"Matt Parks" <mattp65@Yax_RemoveDashAndX_xhoo.com> wrote in message
> Lindsay,
>
> The SDK calls are all technically exposed web services.  However, you need
to be
> able to pass an autorization context amongst the various calls and that
would
> probably be difficult to do from a non-.Net language.  Best bet would be
> write a wrapper Web service that gets the response from the calling app
and then
> invokes the CRM SDK calls as needed.
>
> Anotheer thing, please note that if ou are directly interacting with the
SDK
> calls, then each customer in your case would require a CRM License.  There
is
> not a provision in the licensing scheme to handle a portal application
like you
> have indicated you are building.
>
> A way around the licensing limitation would be direct SQL calls to the DB.
As
> long as you are only reading data, then this should not be a problem.
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 17:37:06 +1000, "Lindsay"
<do_not_email_me@i_hate_spam.com>
> wrote:
>
> This may be a question more for microsoft.public.dotnet.language, but I'll
> try anyway!
>
> I don't have a dotnet background so the question may also be silly.
>
> I want to connect to MS-CRM using web services. I cannot find any WSDL
files
> with which I can achieve this. (I want customers to be able to track
service
> requests). How do I/can I connect to CRM using non dotnet web services?
>
> Maybe an option is for me to learn some dotnet, write an interface and
> expose it using WSDL.... I'd prefer not to, time is tight and I have a
> design to finish!
>
> Cheers,
> Lindsay

0
Matt

Information Store Service Terminates
I'm currently running an exchange 2003 sp2 on a Windows 2003 SP1 Domain Controller with Mcafee virus scan 8.00 Its been running fine for about a year. Recently the information store terminates intermittently with the following error. I can restart the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service Event Type: Error Event Source: Service Control Manager Event Category: None Event ID: 7024 Date: 19/09/2006 Time: 21:54:43 User: N/A Computer: ICCUK-MAIL2 Description: The Microsoft Exchange Information Store service terminated with service-specif...

Availabe methods tp rovide email service from remote exchange serv
HI I am running exchange 2000. My company has grown exponentially in the recent years. We have office in almost ten states. Each company has their own domain and so I have multiple domains hosted on the same exchange server.I don't want to spend money on VPN or frame circuits just to provide emails. Kindly suggest me the best and the most effective way to deliver emails to these remote people from my exchange server over the internet. I am even ready to upgrade my exchange to 2003 if needed. In yahoo, hotmail you can setup reminders and have them send reminers to your cell pho...

CRM SBE Migration to New Domain and Hardware
Hi Folks, This issue has been talked about in a number of threads but our scenario has not been addressed directly. We are presently running CRM 3.0 SBE on a SBS 2003 Premium installation running SQL 2000. Because of a number of issues not related to the CRM implementation, we have decided to create a new clean domain on new hardware (not migrating AD) and will be installing SBS2003R2 with SQL 2005. We want to migrate all of our CRM data and customizations to the new domain/database/installation. Does anyone know how we can best complete the migration and what steps from a high lev...

CRM 3.0 Workflow don't work
each time when i apply rule to an opportunity.I got a workflow error blow: Condition {1D992E3C-EC2E-DC11-B318-005056C00008} failed in step {1B992E3C-EC2E-DC11-B318-005056C00008} of process instance {F4982E3C-EC2E-DC11-B318-005056C00008}. Please view the paused rule in the Microsoft.Crm.Workflow.Monitor for more information about the failure. For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. When I try to pause and resume the workflow in workflow monitor.The workflow can keep going. what is the problem on my server? On Jul 10, 10:20 am, &...

access crm 3.0 report from internet
hi all, i have sbs 2003,sql 2005 & reporting services and crm 3.0 install in 1 box. i am hosting the crm application with a public ip address. crm is working fine but except report part. in lan, crm working fine. when access from internet, user using webclient (IE) and click on report, it pop up new window and show the UI, user can select the report and do the filtering for generating the report. when the moment user click 'run report' it say " IE can not display the web page". this only happen when user access crm from internet. i also did notice status bar is al...

Can't bring up web pages
Hello, A couple weeks ago, a particular workstation couldn't bring up webpages with IE v7. Then it cleared up on its own. Yesterday the same workstation had the problem again as well as another workstation on the lan. I don't know if this is related, but my workstation cannot access the main server even though the drives are successfully mapped and the antivirus won't update. Has anyone seen this type of problem? Could it be a known virus? Thanks for any help and God Bless, Mark A. Sam Internet Options... Connections Tab.... Lan Settings Button.... ...

web link #3
Thank you Nick hodge -- nowfa ----------------------------------------------------------------------- nowfal's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1000 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27599 ...

~^""" FREE web based business ~^"""
Your own web based business FREE! the products are in BIG demand and commissions can be up to 80%. Nothing to pay now - NOTHING TO PAY EVER. Get your business now - FREE! http://www.cashring.com/?id=wil1194 "f:yo]2?am$\ETNlentO ...

Instalation of CRM on two place
Hello Our company got project for CRM 3.0 and we will install in next week. Our consulent demands that i must installed same crm at one of our local computer because they will work localy then export the changes and import at customer CRM server. My question is If i installed CRM at customer's network AD and take backup for SQL databases and restore thats on the local Server and connect to CRM or must install new CRM with same Lisence? Help me. Consulent wants same invirment as our customer has for CRM. -- Maikal You can't simply take a backup of a database and restore it i...

CRM E-mail in Draft Folder
When sending e-mail from CRM, the sent e-mail is going to the Drafts folder in Outlook. The e-mails are not showing up in the Sent folder yet recipients are receiving the e-mail. Any ideas on why this is happening? Thanks. We had this issue as well, and it was an issue where the user composing the mail was leaving the mail unsent open for longer then the default time of 3 minutes in Outlook. I set the users to save to drafts after 15minutes, and it has solved my issue. Hope this helps, Scott Thanks. I'll try it. "frappe33@gmail.com" wrote: > We had this issue a...

crm 4.0 Outlook Client error when going online
Outlook Client throws an error when trying to go online. The error in the event viewer: Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSCRMAddressBook Event Category: None Event ID: 6425 Date: 12/8/2008 Time: 9:31:57 AM User: N/A Computer: MHLP2034 Description: The current user does not have permission to use the Microsoft CRM Address Book. Contact the system administrator about acquiring appropriate privileges. HR=0x80040220. Context=Equipment. Function=COfflineSync::RetrieveUpdatedAndInserted...

Exch 2003 - Stopped MTA Stacks Service
We've got two Exchange 2003 servers in native mode. I had read that you don't need the MTA Stacks service running in this configuration, so I stopped the service on both boxes yesterday. I came in this morning and there were hundreds of emails queued up on both servers queues to each other. When I highlighted the queue on one of the servers it said the other server was unreachable. I then found that we had no DNS entries for these servers in our AD DNS. I added them, and also added MX records and mail started flowing between them again. Does the MTA Stacks service provide some kind of ...

Web form that drops into access database
I want to do something that I feel is very simple; however, I have no knowledge of how to do it. I want to have a form on a website that drops the data from the form into an access database. I have a decent amount of experience with web design, and would just like somewhere to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Michael <mgreer65@gmail.com> wrote in message news:e6a7c688-272b-4219-8241-74c3e3e7b2a2@e25g2000prg.googlegroups.com... >I want to do something that I feel is very simple; however, I have no > knowledge of how to do it. I want to have a form on a w...

Exporting CRM data to Power Point.
I have a situation where i need to CRM 3.0 data to Power Point. I know CRM provides functionality to export to excel sheet. But one of my client want the data to be exported to Power Point. Any body has done any work related to this? Does CRM 3.0 provides this functionality? Any suggestions or advise is very much appreciated. Thanks, CRM does not do this for you. There just isn't any "standard" way to display data in PowerPoint and typically there will be too much to be useful on a slide. I would look to linking powerpoint to a spreadsheet as a data source for a graph or c...

Is Microsoft CRM suitable for software companies ?
Hi, The software company that I work for considers the use of Microsoft CRM. A major requirement is the ability to keep track of the installed products and versions at our customer sites. Since products are updated and upgraded after the sale cycle is complete, the "products" have to be related directly to the "account". (1) Does anyone know about such an implementation and can provide a reference ? (2) Can I customize such a solution ? Should it consist of a many-to-many relationship between accounts and products ? Can I represent it in the schema ? Thanks, Neal...

ATTN: Ed Crowley (RE:Services won't stop! HELP!)
Here's the exact text of the batch file to stop the services for an offline backup.. It used to work perfectly up to about the last month or so. I've tried changing the order of the services being stopped, but i can't seem to find the "sweet spot". None of the services are set to restart automatically. c:\windows\system32\net stop ntrtscan /Y c:\windows\system32\net stop OfcPfwSvc /Y c:\windows\system32\net stop tmlisten /Y c:\windows\system32\net stop w3svc /Y c:\windows\system32\net stop SMTPSVC /Y c:\windows\system32\net stop HTTPFilter /Y c:\windows\system32\n...

Language Propagating error when synchronizing crm
Hi Installed Microsoft Dynmaics CRM 4.0 for Outlook. When I launch outlook, the status goes all the way to "Propagating language setting" and hangs there for about 10-15 minutes. It eventually crashes and exits. "Microsoft CRM Web Service Hoster has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." Can some one please help me. If i change the user's role to system admin it works. I have made sure the standard user role has language settings all green. would really appreciate some help cheers Snow White Have you installed languav...

VPC Images for CRM training
I am preparing for the crm install. & config exams. I have got the training materials but need the VPC images that are used to do the practicals. Can anyone please tell me where i can get these images from? Thanks The May 2006 Release of the VPC image is located at: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8edfc7b-01d8-4500-845b-01370d4eed21&DisplayLang=en -- Michael Web: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2 Feed: http://www.stunnware.com/crm2/atom.aspx ---------------------------------------------------------- "Zaheer" <Zaheer@discussions.microsoft.c...

Best CRM Connection Practice for Remote Users?
Hello: We are just bringing CRM into our business. What are the pros and cons of remote users using CRM via the web interface versusaccessing CRM via a VPN connection. Also does anyone know if outlook web access incorporates CRM too? Thanks for the feedback!!! Mark MSCRM Newbee You can set up CRM to be accessed via the web and it can work quite well. I use that myself. However, I don't believed it's a 'supported' configuration. The downside is that you only have access to the web client so the features of the Outlook client are not avaialble. If you are considering usi...

CRM 3.0 client support Outlook 2007 on Windows 7?
Does anyone know if it is supported or any issues/workarounds? thanks Adrian CRM 3.0 client is support with Office 2007 products (you'll need the v3c version: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=740e1b3b-11c3-4aef-b2e3-8309e0cf1bb0&displaylang=en) I would imagine that being the case, there shouldn't be issues on Windows 7 Peter Gernburd "adrianh" wrote: > Does anyone know if it is supported or any issues/workarounds? > > thanks > Adrian ...

Integration of Microsoft Web Browser Active X
Hi all, I am planning to integrate Microsoft Web Browser Active X component (which is available in VC++) in my program. Is there any licensing policy declared by microsoft for commercial and non commercial usage. Any one please clarify. Thanks in advance. regards RMK. In article <963C5010-7D1A-4DD7-9B65-759796B43C29@microsoft.com>, RMK@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Hi all, > > I am planning to integrate Microsoft Web Browser Active X component (which > is available in VC++) in my program. Is there any licensing policy declared > by microsoft for commerci...

crm 4.0 mui packs performance question
does installing MUI packs on the server and office client affects the performance of the crm server? any review or document on this matter? While I have not seen any official data on the subject, I would be surprised if it had much effect. Installing (and provisioning) a MUI pack does essentially 3 things: 1. Installs the resource assembly 2. Adds strings to the database (LocalizedLabel) 3. Adds language specific templates for email and kb articles. 1 should have no effect, 2 and 3 above will have a small affect due more data in the tables, but it should not be much. "Benjamin ...

Open CRM Object from CRM Task in SFO
Hello Group! I can create a CRM Task in SFO and set a reminder. When the time comes, the task pops up in my outlook reminder window. From there I can open the task and the task is linked to a CRM object using the regarding field (e.g. to an account). Is there anyway to open the object (account) defined in regarding directly from the task? With kind regards Kai ...

Internal Emails sent to CRM not showing up
Does anyone know if there is a solution for the following issue: - if an internal user sends an email message from their Outlook client to a CRM queue, it never shows up in CRM. -- Thanks, Christie Internal emails sent from Outlook in the same Exchange Organization will not be routed to CRM, as it does not routed via SMTP, which is the traffic that the CRM Exchange Email Router monitors. If you have a CRM SFO client, you can promote the email as a CRM Activity and then assign it to a user or queue. -wg "Christie" wrote: > Does anyone know if there is a solution for th...

CRM 4 outlook client install error
I am not able to install CRM v4 Outlook client on any workstation. The Oultook initial setup from CD appears to install correctly, but the install fails using the Configuration Wizard (PreInstallation Checks = OK) with the following error. ----------------- Action Microsoft.Crm.Config.Client.InstallAbpAction failed. Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED)) ----------------- THis happens on all workstations connect to SBS 2K3R2; Desktop (Vista Ent/OfficeUlt), Laptop (Vista Ent/OfficeUlt), Terminal Server (W2K3/Office2K3) The CRM Web Client works fine. -- ...