Virtual PC is taking too long to start.... - 173727

We have done some customisation on virutal image with CRM within
virtual server environment. We would now like to pass this *.vhd file
to our client on his laptop and run that on Virtual PC environment.
However this virtual pc is taking long time to start (more than an
hour) on  client's lap top and hanging on "Applying computer settings".
Can anyone please point out why it is taking so long to start. I have
given 1.5 GB RAM to virtual pc.

I have also done the same thing on my laptop in Virtual PC environment
and it is also taking long time to start.

0
Onkar
10/21/2006 7:18:22 AM
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Onkar,
I found this link very useful when I wanted to do demos:
http://blogs.msdn.com/midatlanticcrm/archive/2006/03/23/Tips_to_Speed_Up_Virtual_PC_for_Microsoft_CRM.aspx#_Toc130896179
Especially the stuff about external hard drive, can't agree more.
Regards

Alex Goss
"Onkar" <budc57@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> We have done some customisation on virutal image with CRM within
> virtual server environment. We would now like to pass this *.vhd file
> to our client on his laptop and run that on Virtual PC environment.
> However this virtual pc is taking long time to start (more than an
> hour) on  client's lap top and hanging on "Applying computer settings".
> Can anyone please point out why it is taking so long to start. I have
> given 1.5 GB RAM to virtual pc.
>
> I have also done the same thing on my laptop in Virtual PC environment
> and it is also taking long time to start.

0
Alex
10/21/2006 6:25:59 PM
If you dont mind using an older server os....I found that using server 2000
is way faster that server 2003 under virtualpc. I was able to run 2 servers
running win2k and one xp machine all in 1gb ram.

However assuming everyone wants to use server 2003 then you need at best a
fast external hard drive and also as much ram for the VPC as possible.

==============================
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP
http://www.crowecrm.com

"Alex Goss" <alexg.nospam@nospam.talonsys.co.uk> wrote in message
> Onkar,
> I found this link very useful when I wanted to do demos:
> http://blogs.msdn.com/midatlanticcrm/archive/2006/03/23/Tips_to_Speed_Up_Virtual_PC_for_Microsoft_CRM.aspx#_Toc130896179
> Especially the stuff about external hard drive, can't agree more.
> Regards
>
> Alex Goss
> "Onkar" <budc57@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> We have done some customisation on virutal image with CRM within
>> virtual server environment. We would now like to pass this *.vhd file
>> to our client on his laptop and run that on Virtual PC environment.
>> However this virtual pc is taking long time to start (more than an
>> hour) on  client's lap top and hanging on "Applying computer settings".
>> Can anyone please point out why it is taking so long to start. I have
>> given 1.5 GB RAM to virtual pc.
>>
>> I have also done the same thing on my laptop in Virtual PC environment
>> and it is also taking long time to start.

0
John
10/23/2006 4:42:09 AM
Have you added 'virtual machine additions' to the vpc os. This does help to
speed it up.

hth

Have you defragged insnde and outside of the VPC image?
HTH,
R.

"Onkar" wrote:

> We have done some customisation on virutal image with CRM within
> virtual server environment. We would now like to pass this *.vhd file
> to our client on his laptop and run that on Virtual PC environment.
> However this virtual pc is taking long time to start (more than an
> hour) on  client's lap top and hanging on "Applying computer settings".
> Can anyone please point out why it is taking so long to start. I have
> given 1.5 GB RAM to virtual pc.
>
> I have also done the same thing on my laptop in Virtual PC environment
> and it is also taking long time to start.

Try using the VM additions from Virtual Server, instead of the VPC
ones. The VS ones are newer and better.

0
the_nextman

Starting Outlook #2
I would like to try Outlook instead instead of OE but I can not get it to work. When I try to read mail, I just don't get any thou it is there when I try with OE. It gives no error message, but in the low right corner there is some sort of ikon with a computer connected to a net with a big red x over. My guess is that it is to dumb to know that I am using a phone modem and not my ethernet connection. I have searched but I can not find any place to tell it to use the modem. What can I do? Thanks for any answer. Anders Floderus -- m a i l : anders d o t floderus a t swipnet d o t se ...

Excel hangs on start up
I have MS Excel 2000 and it is hanging during start up when you start it from an icon. If you click an XLS file then it gives the "fatal exception 0E has occurred at 017F:BFF9DFFF" blue screen. It says it is low in memory when it starts but the system has 256 MB RAM and 94% free. nothing is running in the background except explorer and maybe systray. I have renamed the msoffice.exe, msohelp.exe and the mso9intl.dll, and did a repair. No help. I uninstalled, then reinstalled, no help. I installed a second version, this time a small business version rather than the professional, ...

Start up error
I just did a complete reinstall of my OS and all software. I reinstalled MSoffice and now whenever I start Excel I get the following error Microsoft Visual basic: Compile error in hidden module: AutoExecNew I get the option for help or Cancel. Well Help doesn't tell me anything except that I have an error. When I close Excel I get a simalar error Compile Error in hidden module: DistMon What causes it and how do I get rid of it? Thanks G See KB article http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q307410 The PDFMaker.xla and maybe PDFMaker.dot are stored in your Of...

get message - cannot find funcres.xla
Whenever I start Excel I get the message-"cannot find funcres.xla"- If I click on cancel Excel opens and functions as normal. Any ideas as how I can prevent this minor irritation? Hi seems like the Analysis Toolpak addin is not installed correctly. Goto 'tools - addins' and uncheck Analysis Toolpak. You may re-install it from your Office CD -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Walter Plinge" <Walter Plinge@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:978ADBFA-4BB3-4512-92B9-0C001DB9D622@microsoft.com... > Whenever I start Excel I get th...

All Office 2004 application no longer start after applying Quicktime patch
I have applied the Quicktime update issues yesterday and since then, Office 2004 Application will no longer start up. I click the application icon, it jumps a bit in the dock and than quits. Strangely I was able to run the Microsoft AutoUpdate which applied the Office update released a couple of days ago, but did not fix the apps. The Console does not seem to display anything. This is killing my productivity... Does anyone know a fix or workaround? Mik PS: I am running a fully updated 10.4.10 MacBook Pro / Intel On Jul 12, 10:00 am, mik.lern...@gmail.com wrote: > I have applied the Qui...

Set up Excel to start new instance for each new file opened.
How do I set up Excel to open a new instance of the Excel application, every time I click on a spreadsheet file. The way it works now is that it just opens another window within the same Excel application that is running. I want it to work the same way a Word does, click on the file and a new instance of the application opens and loads the document that you just clicked on. Tools>Options>View check Windows in Taskbar "Minimal_Subset" wrote: > How do I set up Excel to open a new instance of the Excel application, every > time I click on a spreadsheet file. The w...

Cntrl find
I have a large excel worksheet - zip codes, cities, states, area codes ... I need to be able to sort as well as find. Problem comes in with states that have zips starting with zero. I can get them to appear correctly as custom or special, but not able to do cntrl-find and bring up ... I can't believe I can't figure this out ... Format the Zip code column as TEXT and enter the leading zero normally as any other character.........then FIND will "find" it........... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "jjjJackieCalifornia" <jjjJackieCalifornia@discussions.microsoft...

SMTP using TLS and non-standard port
How do I set up Exchange Server so that messages to a certain domain are sent to a designated smart host using TLS and not using port 25? i.e. all messages to domain COMPANY-NAME.CN must go to host MX.COMPANY-NAME.CN on port 925, be authenticated with a particular username and password and have to issue the STARTTLS command before submitting messages. I am stuck on the exact combination of virtual servers and SMTP connectors required to make this work, my efforts so far have failed. Please help, thanks! Try this: http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2006/10/04/429090.aspx /Simon &...

how do I take off the double spacing in publisher
how do I take off the double spacing in publisher High-light your text, format menu, paragraph -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "gb" <gb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0695A413-3720-4A33-9EBC-F39F6F9940A0@microsoft.com... > how do I take off the double spacing in publisher ...

deleting old .pst files and copying to new PC
Now using Outlook 2007. Through fits and starts I've wound up with multiple pst files. I can tell from the dates which ones no longer apply. When I delete these, are their supporting files I should delete too? Secondly, if I copy all the files from the directory to laptop for a winter vacation, what settings do I need to modify on the laptop copy of Outlook for it to work? Thanks for you help! Kim The first thing you must realize is that you must never do anything to a PST file in Windows Explorer until you have disconnected it from an Outlook profile. After that ...

Upgrade path from Microsoft Money 1.0 for Pocket PC
I am looking to move my old Microsoft Money data to something a bit more modern. Currently I can't even pull any of the database files off my PocketPC using ActiveSync. And backup/restore of the whole PocketPC is pretty tempermental. Help! Version of OS is Windows CE 3.0.9348. ...

Money for Pocket PC #5
My deposits from invoice payments are not showing up in my Money for Pocket PC. I am using Money 2005 and Pocket PC 2003. You must use PPC2005 with M2005. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny. For wishes or suggestions see http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or for UK wishes http://www.microsoft.com/uk/support/money/feedback I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "J Marx" <JMarx@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A6...

E2K3 upgrade
Could someone please tell me where to start? I'll buy a book, download documentation, whatever I need. I already have our admin looking for Exchange 2003 classes. We have one Exchange 5.5 organization, 4 Exchange 5.5 sites, 1 Exchange 5.5 server running on Windows 2000 per site, and none of the sites know about each other, i.e., no connectors (political reasons-I made them all have the same organization name in hopes to connect them in future). Everything is on the same wire here in St. Louis, all connected via at least T-1 lines. We have upgraded the whole network to Windows 2003 Active...

Taking a PPT File from 2007 back to 97?
I just created a ppt file with PPT 2007 on my Win 7 PC. I'd now like to xfer it to my PC XP laptop that has PPT 97 on it. Will it work? I guess I'll find out! If not, is there a conversion I should make in 2007? -- Wayne Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39� 15' 7" N, 121� 2' 32" W, 2700 feet This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_001B_01CADD7C.DFD79050 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8...

starttls problem with smtp virtual server
Hello, So I have an exchange 2003 install (on a windows 2000 machine, which I believe to be the root of all my problems), and it has 2 virtual smtp interfaces, each with its own internal ip. One is for people to use when out of the office, the other is for internal use and conectivity to the smart-host. Out of office emailing is accomplished via owa, or imap+smtp. Lastly, the exchange server exists as a domain controller in the domain that all the users are also in. Now heres the problem. Starttls does not seem to work from machines in the domain. When you hit the smtp interface from the ou...

taking permission away from users in outlook
I am hoping someone can give me an easy solution. We have exchange server 5.5 and we are currently having a problem with individual users changing there font and signature with out going emails on outlook. Is there away for me to set up their signature and disclaimer and then disable there ablilty to change it? Or better yet take the option away for anyone that is not an administrator on the server. Thanks so much for your help in advance Kate that's a client-side function...I don't believe there's much you can do to stop that, without breaking Outlook...you can put a unifo...

Printing Long Records To File
Does anyone know how to print records longer than 256 characters to an output file without wrapping? Thank you in advance for your assistance. (.prn files will wrap after 240 characters) You have a few choices (try against a copy of your worksheet): I'd either concatenate the cell values into another column: =LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",20),20) & LEFT(B1&REPT(" ",10),10) & TEXT(C1,"000,000.00") Then I'd copy and paste to notepad and save from there. Once I figured out that ugly formula, I kept it and just unhide that column when I wanted to ex...

OE could not be started; How to initialise MSOE.DLL?
I got error message "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL could not be initialised. Out Express may not be installed correctly. What to do? "Me2!" <Me2!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7FC38848-6223-4A61-815D-5149DC45DA39@microsoft.com... >I got error message "Outlook Express could not be started because MSOE.DLL > could not be initialised. Out Express may not be installed correctly. > What > to do? This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97/98/2000/2002/2003/2007 from the Office suite of products. Outlook Expre...

My PC is sending junk emails
for the past 2 weeks each time I load Outlook, I have up to 10 emails saying they could not be delivered, plus a friend said he has received emails from me that are junk, but I have not sent emails to those people for quite some time. I have run antivirus software but appears to have no effect. Please help I don't know what else is getting sent from my computer. Download malwarebytes. www.malwarebytes.org Make sure you spell the above url correctly. There are others with similar names that are malware. The file you download is named mbam. save it to your local hard dri...

Two Outlook Shortcuts on Start menu
I assume that the following is an Outlook issue rather than a Windows one... I have recently wiped and reinstalled Windows XP Home with SP3, fully updated/patched. I then reinstalled Office 2003, also fully updated. On my Windows Start menu I notice that there are now two shortcuts to Outlook, whereas before there was only one. When I click Start and then right-click on the Outlook shortcuts, the first one brings up a menu containing three options... "Read e-mail" "Properties" "Remove from This List" The other one brings up a menu containing different ...

I want a 1cm Long Line on Printer
Hey Friends Plz help me in drawing a 1cm Long Line on Printer. I want to display some lines on CView and then get them on the printer. Can someone Pl provide a sample code Thanks in advance vikrant, This is one way to do it: pDC->SetMapMode( MM_TEXT ); int centimeter = ( int ) ( ( double ) pDC->GetDeviceCaps( LOGPIXELSX ) / 2.54 ); pDC->MoveTo( centimeter * 2, centimeter * 2 ); pDC->LineTo( centimeter * 3, centimeter * 2 ); That is, getting the number of pixels per inch, dividing it with 2.54. Note that the x and y resolution might be different, and that you should g...

Spelling takes very long time to check misspelled words #2
Hi there, I am using MS Outlook 2000. The Spelling tool takes about 3-5 minutes to pass a single word check. This problem happens when the email has attachment. Any idea would be appreciated, Ross ...

How can I print long lists of data from an Excel spreadsheet?
I have four columns of data (12,000 rows) in this format: Part Number Description Price1 Price 2 1 2 3 4 etc. I want to print it across each page like this: Part Number Description Price1 Price2 Part Number Description Price1 Price2 1 3 2 4 --- next page --- Part Number Description Price1 Price2 Part Number Description Price1 Price2 5 7 6 8 etc...

How to start Word in Printlayout instead of Weblayout.
I'm using Outlook 2003, with Word 2003 as my text-editor. When I start a new email, Word starts in Web-layout. How can I set Word to start every time in Printlayout? Try opening Word by itself, switching to Print layout, then closing Word. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Ricky Gibson" <rickie@apd.nl> wrote in message news:eHvLc.47981$qK.40956@amsnews02.chello.com... > I'm using Outlook 2003, with Word 2003 as ...

How to hide "Get Started windows"
Hi, I am trying to hide "Get Started windows" when I start one Excel application. Please advise Peter ...