Unable to edit user settings

We have reinstalled CRM on a new server, using the existing database and AD
settings.
On the new server, we are unable to edit user settings.  I'm using the
administrator account (the one used to install) and when I go to Settings->
Business Unit Settings -> Users, then click on a user to modify settings, I
get an error: An error has occurred.  For more information, contact your
system administrator.  This did not happen on the old server and i can not
seem to find a solution.  The corresponding event viewer message is equally
vague:

MSCRM Application Error Report
Error Message: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the

Source File:

Line Number:

Stack Trace Info:    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
   at
System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
completedSynchronously)

I tried turning on deverror messages and got a bit more information:

Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details:
The root element is missing.
current web request. Please review the

stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in
the code.

Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: The root element is missing.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to correct this?

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Hi;
Did you get any error messages during or at the end of the installation?
Also did you restart server after installation completed?
If these are OK;
Can you confirm if the user you are logged on have CRM License assigned to
him and also can you check the security role of the user?

Alper Can

"sevensoverfours" wrote:

> We have reinstalled CRM on a new server, using the existing database and AD
> settings.
> On the new server, we are unable to edit user settings.  I'm using the
> administrator account (the one used to install) and when I go to Settings->
> Business Unit Settings -> Users, then click on a user to modify settings, I
> get an error: An error has occurred.  For more information, contact your
> system administrator.  This did not happen on the old server and i can not
> seem to find a solution.  The corresponding event viewer message is equally
> vague:
>
> MSCRM Application Error Report:
> Error Message: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the
> current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about
>
> Source File:
>
> Line Number:
>
> Stack Trace Info:    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
>    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()
>    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
>    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
>    at
> System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
>    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&
> completedSynchronously)
>
> I tried turning on deverror messages and got a bit more information:
>
> Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details:
> The root element is missing.
> current web request. Please review the
>
> stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in
> the code.
>
> Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: The root element is missing.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas as to how to correct this?

Hi,
Is this installed on a domain controller??
We had a similar issue, A client had attempted to install themselves and it
worked but had issues with crystal and other weird errors.  So we went in and
un-installed and re-installed on the same server using as you did the
existing database and AD settings.  Then we got MORE issues including the
user editing error that you have.
We started again on a fresh server, not a domain controller and not using
existing database.  We then use the data migration framework to bring in
their records.  Now all is working 100%.
hth

Regards,
Nathan

"Alper Can" wrote:

> Hi;
> Did you get any error messages during or at the end of the installation?
> Also did you restart server after installation completed?
> If these are OK;
> Can you confirm if the user you are logged on have CRM License assigned to
> him and also can you check the security role of the user?
>
> Alper Can
>
> "sevensoverfours" wrote:
>

> > We have reinstalled CRM on a new server, using the existing database and AD
> > settings.
> > On the new server, we are unable to edit user settings.  I'm using the
> > administrator account (the one used to install) and when I go to Settings->
> > Business Unit Settings -> Users, then click on a user to modify settings, I
> > get an error: An error has occurred.  For more information, contact your
> > system administrator.  This did not happen on the old server and i can not
> > seem to find a solution.  The corresponding event viewer message is equally
> > vague:
> >
> > MSCRM Application Error Report:
> > ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Error Message: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the
> > current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about
> > the error and where it originated in the code.
> >
> > Source File:
> >
> > Line Number:
> >
> > Stack Trace Info:    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
> >    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()
> >    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
> >    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
> >    at
> > System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
> >    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&
> > completedSynchronously)
> >
> > I tried turning on deverror messages and got a bit more information:
> >
> > Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details:
> > The root element is missing.
> > current web request. Please review the
> >
> > stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in
> > the code.
> >
> > Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: The root element is missing.
> >
> > Does anyone have any ideas as to how to correct this?

Thanks for the responses...
I did recieve this error on installation: "Setup was unable to add the
specified license key to your Microsoft CRM deployment: s. When you complete
Setup, manually add the license key in License Manager."

Its not set on a domain controller, we just purchased a new machine
specifically for CRM.
Nathan, doing a fresh install without using an existing database worked?  Do
you have to use the data migration framework?  Could I just have it create
the new database on a different server, then use DTS to populate them from
the old database?  I ask because i've downloaded the migration framework and
even though i'm going from sqlserver to sqlserver, I'm unsure of how to
handle the mappings, especially the fields that don't have any evident
destinations in the cdf_mscrm database.

Thanks for your help...

"Nathan Warner" wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > Stack Trace Info:    at System.Web.UI.Page.HandleError(Exception e)
> > >    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain()
> > >    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest()
> > >    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequest(HttpContext context)
> > >    at
> > > System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.Execute()
> > >    at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean&
> > > completedSynchronously)
> > >
> > > I tried turning on deverror messages and got a bit more information:
> > >
> > > Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details:
> > > The root element is missing.
> > > current web request. Please review the
> > >
> > > stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in
> > > the code.
> > >
> > > Exception Details: System.Xml.XmlException: The root element is missing.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have any ideas as to how to correct this?

edit Direct Deposit ACH file
would like to see a tool that allows editing of direct deposit ACH file similar to the PM EFT User Defined tool. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=d4ef4f25-a5...

Where are permissions set for Mailboxes and Public folders in 5.5?
Exchange 5.5 running on NT4 SP6 We have installed Veritas Backup Exec Remote Agent. Exchange is allowing it to backup everything except the actual Private Mailboxes and Public Folders. I'm being denied access to those two folders. I have tried all 3 logons that are listed as 'Service Account Admins' and no luck. I'm told that "The logon account xxxxxx failed to access server_name\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes." Access is denied. This is an old exchange server set up by my predecessor and I'm not that familiar with it. Is there somewhere that special permiss...

Unable to send more mail to more than 50 recipients at once...
I send a couple of small e-mail newsletters out to subscribers. Last week, I was able to send these e-mails through Outlook 2000, in blocks of up to 500 addresses in the BCC field. This week, when I tried that, the e-mail was never sent and just sat in my Out Box until eventually telling me that there is a limit of 50 recipients per e- mail message. I recently implemented the "critical updates" from MS for Windows XP Pro & Office. The question I have is, why did the allowable number of recipients change overnight, and is there any way to return it to it's previous st...

Event ID 9554/Unable to Update Mailbox SD
I am continuing to get the event below; I referenced Microsoft KB 555433 in which it details how to use ADFind Utility to locate the mailbox in question and update the permissions -- however, there is no account in my domain that matches that GUID. Any ideas? Event Type: Warning Event Source: MSExchangeIS Event Category: General Event ID: 9554 Date: 10/6/2005 Time: 8:59:59 AM User: N/A Computer: MY EXCHANGE SERVER Description: Unable to update Mailbox SD in the DS. Mailbox Guid: fe3913d5-a4e0-4c0e-b3b1-291f50d7fc4f. Error Code 0x8004010f For more information, click http://www.microsoft.c...

Error when adding new user to CRM
Hello all, I need to add 5 new users into CRM. When I complete the first form for the user information such as Last name, First name, email address, etc, then click the save button I receive an error page and the following message is logged in the Application log. MSCRM Platform Error Report: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Error: The statement has been terminated. Error Message: The statement has been terminated. Error Details: Details on this error have not been provided by the platform. Source File: Not avail...

Unable to Migrate Exchange 5.5 mail boxes to 2003 with the Migration Wizard
Hi, We are trying to migrate from and NT4 Domain with Exchange 5.5 to 2003/AD with Exchage 2003. We have the AD Domain set up. The NT4 Domain is still in place and on the same network, so our AD domain is similar but different (the "inc" has been dropped from the NetBIOS name). We have 2 Domain Controllers, and a brand new system to run Exchange 2003 on. It is clean, only has the OS and Exchange on it (we have problems when we get the critical updates. It seems linked to the exchange database going belly up, and we can't install exchange in the first place if the updates are ap...

Excel user information
I am interested in learning about who uses Excel and how they use it. For example, what percentage of users have had formal training; how many use VLookup, or how many build models from scratch. Does anyone know of a source for such information? Thanks. Steve Powell No idea where you would get official stats, if indeed they even exist (Which i doubt), but happy to give you my personal guess:- Formal Training - Less than 1% Use VLOOKUP - Less than 10% Build Models - Depends on definition of what a model is. A couple of cells of data with a formula could be construed as a model, so I...

Lookup Function in user form
I have a combo box (cboitem1) and a text box (txtprice1). I am using the code below to have txtprice1 fill with the corresponding price the worksheet: Private Sub Cboitem1_Change() If cboItem1 <> "" Then txtprice1.Value = Excel.WorksheetFunction.VLookup(cboItem1.Value, Sheets("Pizzas").Range("A1:B65536"), 2, False) End If End Sub It works perfectly when you enter an existing value in cboitem1. However if 'the user' accidently types a letter that is not the first letter of one of the existing items VB debugging pops up with error &qu...

Set up a script for a live performance with a cue call sheet
How do I set up a single one-sided sheet to follow a live performance script and be able to write stand-by notes and cues in a column beside the script with a timecode format ...

Outlook says: unable to expand the folder
Hi all I have a user that logs on her domain pc as Membership. She do a mailbox for this username named "Membership". She also has her own mailbox opened in outlook named "Illse" which is her name. This one i did add throught Tools > Accounts > Change > Advanced Tab, etc, etc. Now she needs to ba able to see a third mailbox called "Trudy" > If i add this mailbox on exactly the same way and want to open the mailbox in outlook outlook says " unable to expand the folder". Why is it doing this while it opens the second mailbox successful...

class unable to write the memory
Hi I've got a class like this class MyClass{ .... somemethods .... protected: int a; } MyClass::MyClass(){ a = 1; } I call the class constructor in the Doc constructor, like I always do, but this time the constructor is unable to modify the memory With the step by step debug I see the 'a' var set to random value as usual, when the compiler runs the 'a=1;' instruciont, the a variable mantains its random value. How is this possible? > I call the class constructor in the Doc constructor, Are you explicitly calling the constructor or it is being called because...

Unable to Open received PO (change to "change order")
Great Plains will not allow me to change this Purchase Order from Received to Change Order: Here is the message I get: However, if I try to enter a quantity cancelled, I get: How can I re-open this Purchase Order so I can change the price??? Thank you. Unfortunately, the pasted messages did not come through. Once a line item is received, you can change its cost only during invoice matching. The process would be to return the item; add a new row with the correct cost; and receive and invoice the new item. Not an elegant solution, for sure. -- Charles Allen, MVP &quo...

SBS Exchange 2003: Create new user in AD but no exchange mailbox #3
I'm using SBS 2003. Exchange server is SP2. When I create a new user using Active Directory, it prompts me about creating a mail box. It says it's creating a mailbox, then it's done. But no mailbox appears. In fact, if I use the Exchange tasks wizard, I can create, delete, and recreate the mailbox--all say successful without an error message. And yet, no mailbox. This is even after I reboot the PC and sent email to the address. Any ideas what's going on? mike.aes@gmail.com wrote: > I'm using SBS 2003. Exchange server is SP2. > > When I create a new user ...

Could Microsoft create a MSPOS user manual?
My customers are asking for one. Guess we were spoiled by RMS Store Operations having one available after Microsoft updated the SMS Commerce manuals. Makes me expect one for MSPOS even though most software no longer has printed manuals. -- Jeff Faul Merchants Solutions ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and t...

automatically sending messages at set times??
Wondering if there's a way with Outlook to send a default message at a specified time?? ie: a message for my ex to repay me her debts on a weekly basis :P "Adam Membrey" <membreya@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O$2Z4y0zEHA.3416@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Wondering if there's a way with Outlook to send a default message at a > specified time?? > > ie: a message for my ex to repay me her debts on a weekly basis :P Sure if you are willing to write code but chances are it would be easier to do from the command line with one of the email utilities like ...

Set Out of Office (or a rule) to only function on weekends
Hello, I am trying to set up so that every weekend my internal e-mail gets forwarded to my home(smartphone) account. I can only find options to run a rule or out of office assistant to run for specific date ranges. How do I set up either a rule or the out of office assistant to 'push' mail to me only on weekends? HCA.CWT.RN wrote on Fri, 02 April 2010 09:04 > Hello, I am trying to set up so that every weekend my internal e-mail gets > forwarded to my home(smartphone) account. I can only find options to run a > rule or out of office assistant to run for spec...

Some stupid questions about edit the aspx file
Hi, I'm quite newbie about asp.net & other web application. I've heared that we can put some code in the CRM aspx file. For example, we can make OnChange event to the textbox in CRM & put some code in it. I know it is unsupported by microsoft, but I need to know how to do it. I've been searching this newsgroup & microsoft.public.crm, but I couldn't found any sample. My question is pretty simple (or stupid, I guess): I've looked in inetpub\wwwroot\SFA\quotes\edit.aspx, but I don't know what to do. My friend telling me that the code behind, is under som...

How do i give each email account i set up its own inbox etc?
i can create different accounts but when i send/recieve all the mail from different accouts goes to the same inbox...not good... About the best you can do is create an inbox rule that moves messages based on the account it was received with. "joejnknsn" <joejnknsn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E487FD01-2110-4BEC-930B-10590F05E885@microsoft.com... >i can create different accounts but when i send/recieve all the mail from > different accouts goes to the same inbox...not good... ...

Configure incoming e-mail settings (Windows SharePoiint Services 3
Good day Everybody ! I have installed Win2K3 SP1, Project Server 2K7 with WSS 3.0, SQL Server 2005 SP1. I want to set up Incoming e-mail setting with combination of SMTP server and WSS 3.0 as I do not have MS Exchange Server installed. I created a new Org Unit as sharepoint with apprpriate permissions as per TechNet step-by-step procedure. I have not created a Contact in this OU. I have entered the following information regarding the Incoming e-mail settings : Enable sites on this server to receive e-mail - YES Settings Mode - Automatic Use the SharePoint Directory Management ...

User Template crashes Outlook2007
When I select a distribution template from "User Templates in File System" Outlook crashes, sends error amessage, and reloads Outlook. Can't weem to find the problem. ...

RMS User Question/Problem
Hello, I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it (for the first time) it asks me user ID and password, but have not yet established one, and is the first time I run the program! (Or is it comes with some standard user / default?) User ID: 1 Password: password Robert Armstrong RMS Systems Inc. "F.Misle" <F.Misle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B29A28E5-315C-4A1A-9490-A497651736A0@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I Downloaded and installed Microsoft Dynamics RMS, but when I first run it > (for the first...

Adding User Name to footer
I have spreadsheets that go out to a number of users, and they make various changes and print out for themselves. The problems is that no-one knows which version to pick up from a central printer. Can I add the user name to the footer. I also have the path and file in the same area. I would like to end up with : User Name printed 'path/file' on 'date' ...

user name and password not being retained in WindowsMail
I have Vista 32bit sp2, IE8 and WindowsMail. I had this problem on my XP/Outlook Express machine and found an answer, but can't find one for WindowsMail. Please note that I have had this set-up for several months and never incurred this problem. Even earlier today everything was working fine. It looks as if I can send messages, but when I click on send/receive button to receive messages I get a screen asking for my username and password. I have it set to remember in 'tools' 'accounts', but it isn't remembering it. Does anyone have a suggestion on how...

Transferring users from 1.2 to 3.0 upgrade
I am trying to upgrade a 25-user 1.2 installation to a 10-user 3.0 setup. Only 7 of the 25 licenses are being used. When I run the setup, I receive the following message: There are not enough Microsoft CRM 3.0 licenses to include all the users from Microsoft CRM 1.2 in the upgrade. Please add enough licenses to cover all the active users or deactivate some users to match the number of licenses. As I said there are only seven active users, so there shouldn't be a problem. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this problem? Thanks. Berk; I've never seen the error, but p...

Large file edit
How can I retrieve and edit a large text (735 mb) file using Publisher 2003? My computer have 1024mb (SDRAM) memory. Each time I try to load the file via the "from exiting publication" I get the message "Windows is low on memory. save your work and close other programs before you continue working" (all programs are closed)! How much memory does Publisher 2003 require, or what is it's maximum file size capability? Turn off "script blocking" in Norton. Does this error occur in safe mode? Could be a printer driver... -- Mary Sauer MS MVP http://office....