Total VPN Access for SFO

Have been going through this forum and am wondering whether anyone has
completely configured SFO over VPN. I'll be shortly visiting our States Sites
with a view to installing SFO on their laptops. All access to our UK CRM
Server will be over HighSpeed VPN Access.
So has anyone installed, configured, accessed, sync'd SFO over VPN?
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Yes I have configured the SFO totally over VPN. I have to say though that
even on a high speed DSL line (2-3mbit) it was not quick. Microsoft always
recommends doing the initial install and go-offline of the sfo client while
on a corporate network. There are many factors involved including not only
your connection speeds but also your laptop and server performance. You will
not know if it will work until you try it. In short it *can* work but not
recommended.

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"Steve Davies" <stevedavies@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> Have been going through this forum and am wondering whether anyone has
> completely configured SFO over VPN. I'll be shortly visiting our States
Sites
> with a view to installing SFO on their laptops. All access to our UK CRM
> Server will be over HighSpeed VPN Access.
> So has anyone installed, configured, accessed, sync'd SFO over VPN?

0
John
2/22/2005 6:00:10 AM
Yes it is possible and does work.  My boss and I who install the CRM and have
it on a home server using a SonicWALL for our VPN connection.  We use it
every day without falter syncing and also using it on the web client.  Both
work 100% with no issues.  But the initial sync was done on site which I
think is a vital step.....   Although we didn't do the first sync offsite so
I can't say if that works or not....
Good luck!

Regards,
Nathan

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> Yes I have configured the SFO totally over VPN. I have to say though that
> even on a high speed DSL line (2-3mbit) it was not quick. Microsoft always
> recommends doing the initial install and go-offline of the sfo client while
> on a corporate network. There are many factors involved including not only
> your connection speeds but also your laptop and server performance. You will
> not know if it will work until you try it. In short it *can* work but not
> recommended.
>

> --
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://www.mscrmfaq.us
>

> "Steve Davies" <stevedavies@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Have been going through this forum and am wondering whether anyone has
> > completely configured SFO over VPN. I'll be shortly visiting our States
> Sites
> > with a view to installing SFO on their laptops. All access to our UK CRM
> > Server will be over HighSpeed VPN Access.
> > So has anyone installed, configured, accessed, sync'd SFO over VPN?

Hi John,
im posting this question based on a post of yours. We are trying to set up
SFO completely over VPN. Could you please help us out with the necessary
steps and detail.

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> Yes I have configured the SFO totally over VPN. I have to say though that
> even on a high speed DSL line (2-3mbit) it was not quick. Microsoft always
> recommends doing the initial install and go-offline of the sfo client while
> on a corporate network. There are many factors involved including not only
> your connection speeds but also your laptop and server performance. You will
> not know if it will work until you try it. In short it *can* work but not
> recommended.
>

> --
> John O'Donnell
> Microsoft CRM MVP
> http://www.mscrmfaq.us
>

> "Steve Davies" <stevedavies@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> > Have been going through this forum and am wondering whether anyone has
> > completely configured SFO over VPN. I'll be shortly visiting our States
> Sites
> > with a view to installing SFO on their laptops. All access to our UK CRM
> > Server will be over HighSpeed VPN Access.
> > So has anyone installed, configured, accessed, sync'd SFO over VPN?

What steps?

assuming your users can vpn into your network they can simply launch the
outlook crm setup. I recommend you ship them a cd so they do not use network
bandwidth transferring the program over the vpn connection as well. Once
installed your users should install the latest set of rollup patches for the
sfo client from www.microsoft.com/downloads

as mentioned i strongly recommend you at least perform the initial setup in
the office as doing this over vpn can be slow in the extreme although
everyone has varying results based on network and hardware performance.
"Jij" <Jij@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi John,
> im posting this question based on a post of yours. We are trying to set up
> SFO completely over VPN. Could you please help us out with the necessary
> steps and detail.
>
> "John O'Donnell" wrote:
>
>> Yes I have configured the SFO totally over VPN. I have to say though that
>> even on a high speed DSL line (2-3mbit) it was not quick. Microsoft
>> always
>> recommends doing the initial install and go-offline of the sfo client
>> while
>> on a corporate network. There are many factors involved including not
>> only
>> your connection speeds but also your laptop and server performance. You
>> will
>> not know if it will work until you try it. In short it *can* work but not
>> recommended.
>>

>> --
>> John O'Donnell
>> Microsoft CRM MVP
>> http://www.mscrmfaq.us
>>

>> "Steve Davies" <stevedavies@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
>> > Have been going through this forum and am wondering whether anyone has
>> > completely configured SFO over VPN. I'll be shortly visiting our States
>> Sites
>> > with a view to installing SFO on their laptops. All access to our UK
>> > CRM
>> > Server will be over HighSpeed VPN Access.
>> > So has anyone installed, configured, accessed, sync'd SFO over VPN?

0
John
9/15/2005 4:54:00 AM
Thanks John for your reply.
This is my progress so far on the issue.
I have a client machine (which is not on the CRM domain) that has VPN access
to the CRM server (which houses the SQL server as well) and the Excahnge
Server in the CRM Domain.
In the client machine, I have been able to configure MSOutlook for one of
the CRM users (crm\user1) and i have opened MSOutlook once so that it is
taken as the default mail client.

Now , i have a dump of SFO in this client machine.
I try to run the SFO set up, and right then, i get an error message which
goes like this "Either there is no default mail client or the current mail
client cannot fulfill the messaging request.Please run Micorsoft Outlook and
set it as the default mail client."
Any particular rights that have to be granted over the VPN for this
installation to succeed ? Or are there any other prerequisites that im
missing out on?
As far as setting up SFO from the office, this is just not possible in our
set up and we have to rely on VPN.
thank you

"John O'Donnell" wrote:

> What steps?
>
> assuming your users can vpn into your network they can simply launch the
> outlook crm setup. I recommend you ship them a cd so they do not use network
> bandwidth transferring the program over the vpn connection as well. Once
> installed your users should install the latest set of rollup patches for the
> sfo client from www.microsoft.com/downloads
>
> as mentioned i strongly recommend you at least perform the initial setup in
> the office as doing this over vpn can be slow in the extreme although
> everyone has varying results based on network and hardware performance.
> "Jij" <Jij@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi John,
> > im posting this question based on a post of yours. We are trying to set up
> > SFO completely over VPN. Could you please help us out with the necessary
> > steps and detail.
> >
> > "John O'Donnell" wrote:
> >
> >> Yes I have configured the SFO totally over VPN. I have to say though that
> >> even on a high speed DSL line (2-3mbit) it was not quick. Microsoft
> >> always
> >> recommends doing the initial install and go-offline of the sfo client
> >> while
> >> on a corporate network. There are many factors involved including not
> >> only
> >> your connection speeds but also your laptop and server performance. You
> >> will
> >> not know if it will work until you try it. In short it *can* work but not
> >> recommended.
> >>

> >> --
> >> John O'Donnell
> >> Microsoft CRM MVP
> >> http://www.mscrmfaq.us
> >>

> >> "Steve Davies" <stevedavies@hotmail.co.uk> wrote in message
> >> Sites

convert .csv file to .cub using access
I am using Microsoft Access to work with a .CSV file that contains 250,000 rows of information. I'd like to convert that file to a .CUB file so that I can use Microsoft Data Analyzer to "drill" down the information. Does anyone have any ideas? Hi John, As I understand it, the normal way would be to use the Cube Wizard in the OLAP Manager, after importing and normalising the file into SQL Server tables. It may be possible to use the Cube Wizard against an ODBC connection to an MDB file. But as I understand it the point of using OLAP cubes is to denormalise a set of views...

In Outlook Web Access 2000
I have two users that are not able to open emails in their inbox when they connect to the Exchange mailbox using Outlook Web Access. Can they open any emails in their inbox, or do all fail? What error do they get? -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B357F9F3-DFBC-47B9-AA9F-34CA064A7727@microsoft.com... >I have two users that are not able to open emails in their inbox when they > connect to the Exchange mailbox using Outlook Web Acce...

restricting access to global address list
I need to restrict a specific group of people from seeing the global address list and being able to send to anyone in it -besides their group. test group has test1 & test2 in it. I want test1 & test2 to be able to send to each other and TestSupport (another address list) only. i followed atricle 319213 and the steps in 'Using Permissions to Limit Access to Address Lists' but the users Test1 & Test2 can still see, search and send to everyone in the global address list. I am using Exchange 2003 Native Mode on Windows 2003, in 2003 Native Mode AD Domain. Can anyon...

Problem with Access 2003
Hi, I recently re-installed Access 2003 after installing a new hard drive. I re-installed Access & the data files. Now, on certain forms the cursor will flash & the status bar says "Calculating" continually. I know that I must be missing some references or something. But nothing shows up in the module window when I check for references. Anyone have any idea on what is happening? Any direction would be great. Thank you in advance for any help you could offer. JOE On Thu, 8 Nov 2007 12:57:54 -0800, "Joe" <joe90026@sbcglobal.net> wrote: Not sure w...

Make script accessable to an ISV button in the grid
I need a way to make a javascript accessable from an ISV button I have added to the grid of one of my entities. So I have an entity in the home page's left nav and when I select it the default view displays the entity items in the grid with my ISV button. Now I need my ISV button to be able to access a function in a js file. I can add my functions to global.js and they are visible there but I don't want to do an unsupported customization. Any suggestions? ps. (The custom js file is going to contain an ajax call) ...

No internet access on SBS2008 second server
Hi, I am setting up a new SBS2008 domain. So far I have a clean installation of SBS2008 on one box and clean 2008 Server on the second box, both connected to a router and nothing else on the network. The router is configured with DHCP disabled. The SBS box has full internet access and the second server has DNS resolution (e.g. can resolve the IP of any website) but is unable to open any websites in IE or ping them from a DOS prompt Both systems have the router's IP as their gateway. Router is on 192.168.1.1 and I have only one network card in the SBS box so can't see ...

Aggregate function - Access asks for Value
I'm trying to get a count of all the Contributors who have given to more than one candidate. Here's my code: SELECT Contributor.Contributor_ID, Contributor.Contributor, Count(Contribution.Candidate_ID) AS NumberContributions FROM Contributor INNER JOIN Contribution ON Contributor.Contributor_ID=Contribution.Contributor_ID GROUP BY Contributor.Contributor_ID, Contributor.Contributor HAVING Count(Contribution.Candidate_ID) > 1; When I try to run the query, it asks for Contribution.Contributor_ID, as though it's looking for a form input. If I enter nothing and just accept, it ret...

Integrating Outlook Calendar & Access
I've searched thru this forum and thru the Access forum and can't find exactly the issue I need to resolve. I have developed a calendar in AC2003. I have developed a process to export the calendar entry from access to the outlook calendar which works great. My user is now requesting the ability to view (or thru VBA) the entries in the Outlook calendar from within access? Unfortunately my database has no way to know if an entry in the access database already exists in the Outlook calendar. Is there a way to determine that? I tried creating a linked table with Outlook s...

Outlook 2003 and Cached mode GAL Access
I have an Exchange 2003 server running as hosted email solution with many different companies being hosted on the same server. I have followed the numerous support articles, and have applied appropiate security to the GAL and the msExchQueryBaseDN in the user attributes. I have setup the address lists correctly to limit each user to only see their own company. But when outlook 2003 is configured in Cached mode, it bypasses the security and the users can see EVERY user on the server. Does anyone know why outlook 2003 works fine (applies correct security to the Global Address List (GAL)) in...

Sales Edit List Batch Totals
I printed a Sales Edit List containing invoices in SOP. Both the Batch Total and TRX Total in this batch are incorrect. Three times I have printed this report and every time I get a different total and the total is not correct. No one has added or take out transactions from the batch. I run the utility to reconcile batch information, and the total is still incorrect. What should I do? -- Patti Hi Patti-- Instead of printing an edit list, can you try selecting Batch List instead? Thanks, Christina Cristina, Thank you for your suggestion. That is exactly what it was. Some Order...

Outlook Mail
I have a notebook and a desktop PC. My mail account and .pst file is located on the notebook. Both PCs are on a wireless network. What I would like to do is be able to access my outlook mail from both PCs. How do I do this? Presumably there would need to be some sort of synchronizing to take place such that email sent or received on one PC is viewable on the other PC. Do I have to put my email in a public folder? In any event, my public folders do not operate across the network - only within the one PC and provides access to other users of that PC only. Is there a way that I can make my pub...

Exchange 5.5
We need to know if there is a way to generate a report of webmail users and when they last logged into OWA. Thanks! On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:26:02 -0800, Jim Hale <JimHale@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We need to know if there is a way to generate a report of webmail users and >when they last logged into OWA. > >Thanks! IIS logs. Use something like http://www.logparser.com/ or www.sawmill.net to parse through them. I had done this mod to the OWA 5.5 login script a long time ago but couldn't remember what it was... Fortunately google had it: ------------------...

Access 2003
Why does my application come up talking about Unsafe Expressions, and asking whether I want to disable them? And how do I stop it from doing so? grep On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 08:04:34 -0400, grep <grep@grepster.grep> wrote: >Why does my application come up talking about Unsafe Expressions, and >asking whether I want to disable them? And how do I stop it from doing so? There are several ways to do this. You can set the Macro Security to Low (which isn't recommended by MS, but many people do it) or you can sign your code, enable Sandbox mode, and instruct your users how to remov...

Access 2007 Switchboard Manager
I am new to Access 2007 and am having problems with the switchboard launching when I open the database. The detail portion of the switchboard is also not showing up. I checked the properties and yes is the selection in the Visible field. Any suggestions? Hi Elena, Pick the Data Base Tools tab at the top and Switchboard Manager to the right. Pick edit and it shoud make sense. I just add a couple commands at first, one being an exit. Once you save you should see the Switchboard form under forms to the left. If not, pick All Access Objects arrow down then pick object typed. Pick t...

ENTOURAGE cannot access database
MAC 2006 10.4.11 I hope you can help. I tried accessing my entourage only to find message saying 'entourage could not access my database'... I read pages on www.entourage.mvps.org and reduced the free disk space among other things. Hours later (and not really knowing the damage/help that I had done) I clicked on entourage to find that it would open but by setting up a new account....therefore without all the hundreds of work emails/contacts that I desperately need. I have what I think is the old database but remember reading message saying that re build is unlik...

Some Access 2007 questions
Hi. I know that in earlier versions of Access, there was a limit of 255 fields per table. Has this restriction been lifted in Access 2007? If so, what is the new maximum limit. Also, can you use an array on fieldnames in Access 2007? In other words, right now, we are using field names such as: "clYear_0", "clYear_1" and so on to store an array called clYear(). Could an array be stored in a less clumsy fashion? "Michael Feldman" <Youknowwho@EatThisSpammer.com> wrote: >I know that in earlier versions of Access, there was a limit of 255 fi...

How to grand Access right to some mailboxs
How to grand Access right to a "User", and it has right to lanch specify mailboxs ? * such "User" is already belong to Domain Admin "BigBIg" <faitai@netvigator.com> wrote: >How to grand Access right to a "User", and it has right to lanch specify >mailboxs ? > >* such "User" is already belong to Domain Admin The Domain Admin group (along with other priviledged accounts) have an inherited "Deny" ACE in the ACL of each mailbox for "Send As" and "Receive As". Create a "normal" user ac...

Access 2007-Report (Text Wrapping)
Is it possible to have text wrapping of a field on a report like the text wrapping function in a cell in a worksheet in Excel? Set the Can Grow property to Yes. -- Build a little, test a little. "SueW" wrote: > Is it possible to have text wrapping of a field on a report like the text > wrapping function in a cell in a worksheet in Excel? Thank you. "KARL DEWEY" wrote: > Set the Can Grow property to Yes. > > -- > Build a little, test a little. > > > "SueW" wrote: > > > Is it possible to hav...

adding pages to wizard prop sheet causes Access Violation.
When I add pages to the already created wizard property sheet I get an access violation It happens during the following MFC call which I cannot trace int void CPropertySheetEx::AddPage(CPropertyPageEx* pPage .. HPROPSHEETPAGE hPSP = CreatePropertySheetPage(ppsp) If I do not specify Title and SubTitle string IDs in the constructor the error does not occur m_pageFilter.Construct(IDD_AXIS_FILTER, 0, IDS_TITLE_FILTER, IDS_SUBTITLE_FILTER); // causes erro m_pageFilter.Construct(IDD_AXIS_FILTER); // o There doesn't seem to be anything i...

converting access 97 to access in XP
I converted an existing data base that was setup in 97 and backed up on disk and installed it into my new computer which runs XP Pro. When I print a querie I loose the cell outlines. Any suggestions please. ...

Accessing sheet name w/o using mouse
Could someone please tell me how I can access the sheet name without using the mouse? ... I like to use key strokes as much as possible and I don't know of a way to do this... Thanks! ... Dave... Dave CTRL + PageUp and PageDown will cycle through the sheets. Up to go left, Down to go right. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 19 Feb 2005 02:34:06 -0000, LavaDude <mikioi@TAKEOUTgte.net> wrote: >Could someone please tell me how I can access the sheet name without using >the mouse? ... I like to use key strokes as much as possible and I don't >know of a way to do ...

SQL to change closing totals
What tables do I need to fix if I entered a wrong closing amount for a particular tender type? What is the SQL to do this? I erroneously entered $0 for checks for the day, then ran a Z-report. Thus, I was short for the day by the amount of the checks. I know I will never be able to fix the Journal, but I want to fix the database for reporting purposes. ------=_NextPart_0001_31A52B4D Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello Jason, This is a relatively simple task. The first thing you should do is make a backup of your database before proceeding... Once you ha...

Routing and Remote Access service Server 2003
I am using a server 2003 as a router. (Not ISA) Is it possible to assign a second ip address to the internet facing adapter and map that ip to an internal ip ? No, I don't believe it is possible. I used second and other IP addresses exclusively for web sites hosted on the IIS and nothing else. "Dave Mc" <DaveMc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF7CD089-E878-4F92-81A0-C6051F7B4791@microsoft.com... > I am using a server 2003 as a router. (Not ISA) Is it possible to assign > a > second ip address to the internet facing adapter and...

Consolidation of totals from various sheet on to one sheet
With 10 worksheets in one workbook each with totals, how can I automatically transfer these totals to a new worksheet to give an overall summary of the 10 sheets. I am not into gobbledygook so I need simple idiots understanding assistance. All help gratefully received Please reply to Group JasB Couldn't you simply use =Sheet1!A10 =Sheet2!A10 etc etc Where A10 on each sheet has the totals ***** Posted via: http://www.ozgrid.com Excel Templates, Training & Add-ins. Free Excel Forum http://www.ozgrid.com/forum ***** So simple Many thanks Jasb "Dave Hawley" <dav...

Newbie needs help to know how to access data from a PDA to a DataBase.
Hi , Could you pls help me get an idea on the basics of getting a data to and fro to a Database from a PDA,i am using PPC2003 Emulator and developing on EVC++ 4.0. And pls Pls include example codes if possible....Thanks a lot in advance. I have to populate for e.g ,customer details form in the PDA with data from the oracle server.How exactly do i do tat and wats the code for odbc connectivity.I am really desperate,HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hi, Just have a look at the following link. http://www.codeproject.com/ce/Pocket_PC_Development.asp http://www.codeproject.com/ce/ado_ce_ca.asp?...