Test and Production Install on same server

We are looking to install Microsoft CRM on our server.  We would like to be
able to install the demo database for testing and training purposes and then
when ready install our live database.

MBS Tech support is telling us that we can use the same SQL Server for the 2
databases but that you can't have the 2 Microsot CRM Server installs on the
same server.

Has anyone out their found any type of work-around that makes this doable?
It is simply not practical for us to add another server to our network simply
to install the sample database for Microsoft CRM.

How have others dealt with this issue?

Any feedback is appreciated.

crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

easiest route is to use virtualpc which makes life a lot simpler

--
John O'Donnell
Microsoft CRM MVP

"Rick DeLello" <Rick DeLello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> We are looking to install Microsoft CRM on our server.  We would like to
be
> able to install the demo database for testing and training purposes and
then
> when ready install our live database.
>
> MBS Tech support is telling us that we can use the same SQL Server for the
2
> databases but that you can't have the 2 Microsot CRM Server installs on
the
> same server.
>
> Has anyone out their found any type of work-around that makes this doable?
> It is simply not practical for us to add another server to our network
simply
> to install the sample database for Microsoft CRM.
>
> How have others dealt with this issue?
>
> Any feedback is appreciated.

0
John
1/14/2005 12:06:00 AM
This isn't just a cse of "not supported", this flat out won't work.  The CRM
install uses registry information that is not setup to handle multiple
installations.  Thus, the additional installs would overwrite the previous
registry info.

I use Virtual PC/Virtual Server for test and dev environments a lot.  Still need
some hardware to dedicate to it, but it cuts down a loto nthe number of servers
you need.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:45:02 -0800, Rick DeLello <Rick
DeLello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

We are looking to install Microsoft CRM on our server.  We would like to be
able to install the demo database for testing and training purposes and then
when ready install our live database.

MBS Tech support is telling us that we can use the same SQL Server for the 2
databases but that you can't have the 2 Microsot CRM Server installs on the
same server.

Has anyone out their found any type of work-around that makes this doable?
It is simply not practical for us to add another server to our network simply
to install the sample database for Microsoft CRM.

How have others dealt with this issue?

Any feedback is appreciated.

0
Matt
1/14/2005 12:15:47 AM
Matt/John,

Thanks for the info.

Since this won't work with just one server, Let me ask this from a different
direction.  Let us assume that we have only one install in place.  Would
their be a way for us to set up what I might call "dummy" users in CRM that
could be used for demo purposes?

We could allocate a small batch of records that are unrelated to our
internal CRM data and in essence create a "group" of records and a couple of
"users" that we use simply for demos.

In the end, all I am hoping to accomplish is to have a way for our
salespeople and consultants to be able to show customers Microsoft CRM
through a standard web browser.

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> This isn't just a cse of "not supported", this flat out won't work.  The CRM
> install uses registry information that is not setup to handle multiple
> installations.  Thus, the additional installs would overwrite the previous
> registry info.
>
> I use Virtual PC/Virtual Server for test and dev environments a lot.  Still need
> some hardware to dedicate to it, but it cuts down a loto nthe number of servers
> you need.
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:45:02 -0800, Rick DeLello <Rick
> DeLello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> We are looking to install Microsoft CRM on our server.  We would like to be
> able to install the demo database for testing and training purposes and then
> when ready install our live database.
>
> MBS Tech support is telling us that we can use the same SQL Server for the 2
> databases but that you can't have the 2 Microsot CRM Server installs on the
> same server.
>
> Has anyone out their found any type of work-around that makes this doable?
> It is simply not practical for us to add another server to our network simply
> to install the sample database for Microsoft CRM.
>
> How have others dealt with this issue?
>
> Any feedback is appreciated.

As long as youhad a license to spare, then you could do this.

Matt Parks
MVP - Microsoft CRM

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 16:41:05 -0800, Rick DeLello <Rick

"Matt Parks" wrote:

> This isn't just a cse of "not supported", this flat out won't work.  The CRM
> install uses registry information that is not setup to handle multiple
> installations.  Thus, the additional installs would overwrite the previous
> registry info.
>
> I use Virtual PC/Virtual Server for test and dev environments a lot.  Still need
> some hardware to dedicate to it, but it cuts down a loto nthe number of servers
> you need.
>
> Matt Parks
> MVP - Microsoft CRM

> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:45:02 -0800, Rick DeLello <Rick
> DeLello@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> We are looking to install Microsoft CRM on our server.  We would like to be
> able to install the demo database for testing and training purposes and then
> when ready install our live database.
>
> MBS Tech support is telling us that we can use the same SQL Server for the 2
> databases but that you can't have the 2 Microsot CRM Server installs on the
> same server.
>
> Has anyone out their found any type of work-around that makes this doable?
> It is simply not practical for us to add another server to our network simply
> to install the sample database for Microsoft CRM.
>
> How have others dealt with this issue?
>
> Any feedback is appreciated.

0
Matt

mounting a IS from other server?
I want to delete my existing exchange because it's seriously broken, and = for the test i wanted to know if i can mount a IS from another server in = my test server. You need to do the following: 1. The test Exchange server must be installed with the same Org, Admin Group, Storage Group and Database names 2. Configure the test server database file names with the same names as production 3. Dismount the test server database 4. Delete the database and log files on the test server 5. On the test server database, check the option "This database can be overwritten by a restore" 6...

How to figure out the name of Local Exchange Server
How can you figure out the name of the local Exchange Server without asking an Admin for that information. Can you do some command in the command prompt. Arthur.Sosin@ge.com (Arthur) wrote: >How can you figure out the name of the local Exchange Server without >asking an Admin for that information. Can you do some command in the >command prompt. How do you figure out the name of any other server? -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm ...

How to connect to remote server and access the tables
I am working on Vb.Net application. I have to connect to remote server(it's IP address)(this server is not on my network). This company has provide me username, companyname and password. Once, I get connected, I get the SessionID. Now, I need to download some of the tables from here. How do I do this. Pls note, this company has some web services. If I create a reference to it's web services, how do I access it's database(tables)? I appreciate your quick response and thanku in advance If you connect just to a web services then you need to know what they return to you when y...

Strange traffic from Exchange Server
My XP personal firewall log shows some strange entries from an Exchange Server outside of my control. I have read http://www.petri.co.il/ports_used_by_exchange.htm but cannot find anything that can account for this traffic pattern. Basically, it seems to hit an increasing number of ports between 10,000 and 65,000, then start over again. Takes a few days to go through the whole range. Small sample below. Source port is an increasing range. Destination ports are - among others - 1108, 1518, 1091, 1082, 1088, 1067, 1191, 1306, etc. Mind you, this is from within a corporate firewall. Is this...

Beta testing an Excel 2007 certification test
In case anyone is interested, there is a free Beta test of an MS Excel 2007 Certification test available at Brainbench.com. Here is the link to find the test: http://www.brainbench.com/xml/bb/common/testcenter/betatests.xml This is not an advertisement, just a chance to test your knowledge and tell us about the test. Tracey Kelly Test Development Manager Brainbench, a PreVisor Company www.brainbench.com www.previsor.com TKelly <tke...@previsor.com> wrote... .... >This is not an advertisement, just a chance to test your knowledge >and tell us about the test. .... OK, it's s...

Possible to prvent installing fonts?
Why do Microsoft programs always try to outsmart the user? Oh, right. Microsoft hates users. Forgot. Anyway, is there a way to prevent Worst from installing fonts when I launch it? Oh, using Office 2004 on Tiger. On 9/18/05 10:23:42 AM, in article 1127064222.920879.61590@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, "leftnotracks@gmail.com" <leftnotracks@gmail.com> wrote: > Anyway, is there a way to prevent Worst (sic) from installing fonts when I > launch it? Move or remove the "Do Fonts" file in the Office directory will, I believe, suppress the installation of fonts. ...

Service Pack 2 Installation Questions
I have a few questions about the SP2. - Is it now supported? - Should I turn off the Exchange services as well as the AV services before the install? On Thu, 8 Dec 2005 09:41:02 -0800, "Griff" <Griff@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a few questions about the SP2. > >- Is it now supported? Yes. > >- Should I turn off the Exchange services as well as the AV services before >the install? Disable all 3rd party services and manually stop Exch Services if desires. the update will stop the exch services manually however. Backups before and after ...

Clone quote with product
Hi, I have adjusted the isv.config file to make a clone of a quote but how do I clone a quote to bring the products that are associated with it, as in to have exactly the same products and totals? Was there a solution to this issue? I have same need. > On Tuesday, August 24, 2010 2:33 PM Elisa wrote: > Hi, > > I have adjusted the isv.config file to make a clone of a quote but how do I > clone a quote to bring the products that are associated with it, as in to > have exactly the same products and totals? > Submitted via EggHeadCafe > Excel Tips: Net Present V...

Route email from second exchange server
I'm not sure if this is possible but any help would be appreciated. I am in the process of migrating Exchange from one server to another and would like to test the second server before taking the first one offline. I plan on following the steps outlined in KB822931 but I'm curious if I can have both servers coexist for some time just in case something goes wrong. Here is my current setup. Server1 OS: Standard 2003 (Upgraded from SBS using transition pack), Exchange 2003 SP2 Server2 OS: Standard 2003, Exchange 2003 SP2 Server2 has AD (replicated from server1), DHCP, DNS. W...

Restored GP 8.0 from server crash, users can't log in and SA oddit
The server that hosts GP 8.0 crashed, we had a backup and restored it. Upon boot SQL 2000 was giving us issues, we had to reinstall it to get it running again. The GP 8.0 DB's were reattached. I can see the users in their respective DB's from Enterprise Manager but when I attempt to log in as said users, it gives the dreaded: "Your SQL Server login record is not a valid user record in Great Plains. Enter a different login, or contact your Great Plains system administrator." Right now the only account that lets me on is the SA but even so, whenever I attempt to do ...

Can I designate one our computers to be the Outlook server?
I'm new to using Outlook at home and definitlely a novice a terminology but here goes ..... We use Outlook 2003. We have two computers - a PC and a notebook. I would like to set up the notebook as our Outlook "server" (have all e=mail traffic come through it and be disributed to the PC into "mailboxes or "accounts" or files, whatever the term for all family members. Can this be done and how? Outlook is a client, not a server, so, no, you cannot set up Outlook to receive mail then deliver to various mailboxes. You would need server software to do this. H...

Test and Production Install on same server
We are looking to install Microsoft CRM on our server. We would like to be able to install the demo database for testing and training purposes and then when ready install our live database. MBS Tech support is telling us that we can use the same SQL Server for the 2 databases but that you can't have the 2 Microsot CRM Server installs on the same server. Has anyone out their found any type of work-around that makes this doable? It is simply not practical for us to add another server to our network simply to install the sample database for Microsoft CRM. How have others deal...

Exchange and SMTP and Web Servers
I have a Win2003 web server with SMTP enabled and we use it to send email from within several web applications ... my question may be some what basic but how does the mail flow out ... Does the web server send the email directly or does the email get routed to an Exchange server ? ... and if the web server sends the email out directly is there a way to make the web server send all mail to an Exchange server for additional processing? Our Exchange severs have some sort of "Mail Guard" that will scan all out going emails ... and I need to have the emails that are sent from the web se...

How to create an order with products using workflow
It appears that using Workflow we can create a new Order record, but there does not appear to be any way to add Products to that Order once it has been created. Does anyone know how to do this? Hi, This will require custom development. -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP CRM Freelance Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MVP :: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/umar.khan "Bevan Edwards" wrote: > It appears that using Workflow we can create a new Order record, but there > does not appear to be any way to add Prod...

SQL Server reporting services
Has anyone tried to install the new SQL Server reporting services on a server running CRM and SQL Server? I'm getting an error during install saying that the data base is invalid but i've applied all the right service packs as far as i can tell. So the only thing i can think of is that the CRM is causing issues. ...

How can I find how many exchange servers in an organization
Hi All, By programmatically, is there any way to find how many Microsoft Exchange Server is the Organization. (i.e. In big organization there will me more than one Exchange Server, I have to find how many exchange servers and also like to get the IP of each exchange server). Thanks in advance. Manu. It should be fairly simple via a script to do this, but why not use ExchDump to get loads of useful info (including the number of Exch servers)? Link is here: http://hellomate.typepad.com/exchange/2004/03/microsoft_downl.html -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, an...

Server Mail retention with outlook
Hi, Is it possible to have outlook POP3 setup so as I could keep all my messages on the server and at the same time outlook is smart enough to know which are the new messages to download? sometimes, it downloads all my messages all over again.... Regards, MWGP Certainly you can but it is most likely your AV scanner that is causing = the problem with your multiple downloads of email, not Outlook. Disable = scanning email. --=81 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted ...

Moving Public Folders from Exchange Server 5.5 to Exc. Ser. 2003.
How can I move public folders from an Exchange Server 5.5 to a new Exchange Server 2003, which on a separate private network without connecting bother server on the same network? rekaman@gmail.com wrote in news:1144768961.479044.323920 @t31g2000cwb.googlegroups.com: > How can I move public folders from an Exchange Server 5.5 to a new > Exchange Server 2003, which on a separate private network without > connecting bother server on the same network? Export them to PST? Regards, -- R. Arlo Clizer FAQ: http://www.exchangefaq.org Archives: http://groups.google.com Thank you very mu...

Exchange 2010 DAG with 2 DPM 2010 server
I have a test environment with two Exchange 2010 servers. They have a DAG that is protecting the mailbox database. I downloaded the trial version of DPM 2010 to test and verify that it will work for us. I setup the primary DPM server and it is protecting the mailbox DB in the DAG just fine. When I setup the secondary DPM server (offsite) to backup the primary DPM server the secondary DPM server can not see the any resources on the exchange servers other than the system drives. I create the protection group on the secondary server. I drill down on the primary DPM server an...

Is there a Visual C++ Net only product ???
Does Visual C++ Net comes in a stand alone application package or you have to buy Visual Studio Net to get it ??? By stand alone, I mean the package only contains Visual C++ Net and not other things such as Visual Basic, C# etc etc... In article <40b015aa_2@news.tm.net.my>, andy_kheemeng@yahoo.com.sg says... > Does Visual C++ Net comes in a stand alone application package or you have > to buy Visual Studio Net to get it ??? > > By stand alone, I mean the package only contains Visual C++ Net and not > other things such as Visual Basic, C# etc etc... If you just wan...

Installation of Publisher 2002 on my new computer
I recently upgraded to a new computer. I would like to install Publisher on this new computer, but it rejects my product key. Can I uninstall Publisher from my old computer and then install it on the new computer and if so, how? Uninstall the program on the first computer, use the phone number on the activation page and explain... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Barnie" <Barnie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2FDB7BAD-0416-4049-858C-78AF0780F7F0@microsoft.com... >I recently upg...

O/T: Win2K Exch2k Server
Our first server in a new domain was a Windows 2003 Std Server running AD and then installed Exchange 2003 SP1. This was called "Mailserver" and was the first AD server in the new domain "GLOBAL". This was in office "UK". We have now added more AD servers in offices - "VANCOUVER", "DUBAI" and another one in the "UK". For some reason, the guys in the UK are always being authenticated, and login scripts running from, the "VANCOUVER" server? Is there anywhere I can change this? Also, is it worth making the Exchange server...

Not all versions of fonts installed showing up in Publisher...
I want to use Trebuchet Italics--not the style tool on plain Trebuchet, but it doesn't show up as a choice in Publisher. I checked and the Italics version is installed on my computer. How do I get it to show up in Publisher? Thanks! Lori On the Font Schemes task pane, click Styles and Formatting, select what formatting you want to change and click the italic look. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "lori" <lori@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:03A14085-D0F9-4FDC-AB23-BAA1DCE983E3@micr...

Install this corrective patch that comes from M$ Corporation
--xrxjlvlaznbast Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="rlhrxhofqa"; type="multipart/alternative" --rlhrxhofqa Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="nqisopmsjmfpqu" --nqisopmsjmfpqu Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Customer this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three newly discovered vulnerabilities. Install now ...

Exchange Server 5.5 Information Store error
I have exchange 5.5 & having only online backup of Directory Database. I have installed the new Exchange Server 5.5 with the same old setting & restore the directory database on this Server. All the users are showing now, but Information Store service is not started and it gives error " Event ID: 7024 - The MS Exchange Information Store service terminated with Service Specific Error 4012". We have also run the ESEUTIL /D, but error is still the same. Pl. help us how to resolve this. -- Regards, Ahmad M. Zahoory E-mail: ahmad.zahoory@gmail.com On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 03...