Technical reasons not to insert or update records in CRM SQL?

Hello,

My boss is convinced that the best (read fastest) way for us to update
values in CRM from an external application is to edit CRM SQL directly.  I
agree that this sounds tempting, but I feel it might come back to bite us.
So, I have these questions:

1. Besides losing MS support, and upgrade/hotfix issues, what are some
_technical_ reasons not to insert or update records in CRM SQL?  What things
could it break?

2. Besides using Data Migration Framework for a one-time import, assuming
one understands the schema, what is the possible harm in just inserting
records directly into CRM SQL?

Thanks!
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

don;t insert/update/delete directly...use the sdk...i've tried this and it
breaks some parts of the system.

inserted accounts + address information --- worked fine, so i thought ok
i'll do the same to products and found out where it inserts product
information and inserted some products...but now i cant edit/delete products
through crm because of the securitydescrypter

another example is notetext...i inserted couple of notes directly and now
they cant be edited/deleted either. so i switched over to the sdk

there is a post about securitydescryper from mj miller, and he explains why
it cant be replicated.

but for me it actually turned out ok since we do need to keep old products
in the system without anyone being able to edit/delete them using crm
interface.

"Troy DeMonbreun" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My boss is convinced that the best (read fastest) way for us to update
> values in CRM from an external application is to edit CRM SQL directly.  I
> agree that this sounds tempting, but I feel it might come back to bite us.
> So, I have these questions:
>
> 1. Besides losing MS support, and upgrade/hotfix issues, what are some
> _technical_ reasons not to insert or update records in CRM SQL?  What things
> could it break?
>
> 2. Besides using Data Migration Framework for a one-time import, assuming
> one understands the schema, what is the possible harm in just inserting
> records directly into CRM SQL?
>
> Thanks!
It took me a while to dig that news group response up, so I've tweaked it a
bit and posted it at
http://weblogs.asp.net/mikemill/archive/2004/12/10/279692.aspx. I hope it
helps a bit.

--
Mj Miller
Technical Lead

"savage" <savage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> don;t insert/update/delete directly...use the sdk...i've tried this and it
> breaks some parts of the system.
>
> inserted accounts + address information --- worked fine, so i thought ok
> i'll do the same to products and found out where it inserts product
> information and inserted some products...but now i cant edit/delete
> products
> through crm because of the securitydescrypter
>
> another example is notetext...i inserted couple of notes directly and now
> they cant be edited/deleted either. so i switched over to the sdk
>
> there is a post about securitydescryper from mj miller, and he explains
> why
> it cant be replicated.
>
> but for me it actually turned out ok since we do need to keep old products
> in the system without anyone being able to edit/delete them using crm
> interface.
>
> "Troy DeMonbreun" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> My boss is convinced that the best (read fastest) way for us to update
>> values in CRM from an external application is to edit CRM SQL directly.
>> agree that this sounds tempting, but I feel it might come back to bite
>> us.
>> So, I have these questions:
>>
>> 1. Besides losing MS support, and upgrade/hotfix issues, what are some
>> _technical_ reasons not to insert or update records in CRM SQL?  What
>> things
>> could it break?
>>
>> 2. Besides using Data Migration Framework for a one-time import, assuming
>> one understands the schema, what is the possible harm in just inserting
>> records directly into CRM SQL?
>>
>> Thanks!

0
Mj

Can't update Hewitt Associates 401K account
Hi, Since the middle of this month, I don't seem to be able to update my 401K account serviced by Hewitt Associates. Is anyone else having problems? I get the error: "The Internet, banking, or brokerage server could not process the request.Please try your call again later.(OFXHTTP400)". If I try and remove online banking and add it back in, it tells me that I have no active accounts. Yet I can reach my account as usual through the web site. All my other accounts seem to work fine. -- John In microsoft.public.money, JohnA wrote: >Since the middle of this mont...

Error by open contacts or activities after Migration to CRM 3.0
Hello, i ve migrated our CRM 1.2 System to CRM 3.0 Now I get a error-page when I open contacts or activities or so. I cannot open the main form of these entities (customizing). Any ideas? Stefan ...

Update Query to Change Values From One Table To Another
Hi, I have two tables with a number of fields in each table. In one table called ACCOUNTS CHARGED the yes/no field called CHARGED is always by default "yes" everytime a record is entered in it. I want it every time to update the table called RESPEL ALL CHARGES (when running an Update Query) the identical field CHARGED by looking at the RESNO field in the table ACCOUNTS CHARGED to be the same as the RESNO field in the table RESPEL ALL CHARGES. Thanks ...

help for sql select command !!!
Hi Everyone! Imagine we have 3 checkBoxes in a search page and 3 boolean fields in DB table and every checkbox is for one of these fields . In search page users check every 3 checkBoxes and what i want is that first it shows the records that every their 3 fields are checked then 2 and then 1(DESC). BTW my DB is MS Access. Please help me ! On Mar 1, 7:17=A0pm, "miladha...@gmail.com" <miladha...@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi Everyone! > Imagine we have 3 checkBoxes in a search page and 3 boolean fields in > DB table and every checkbox is for one of these fields . I...

Force new record
Hi, I am using a combo box on a main form to populate records in a subform. 1st of all, once a record has been populated i would like the focus to automatically jump to the new record line. 2nd How can I make the new record line on the subform have focus on openeing the database? Is this possible? Regards John Try the following in the Open event of the subform: Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer) DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec End Sub -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "John" <johnlee2509@btopenwo...

Select record in a listbox
Hello John W. Vinson helped me with a code to search records in a Table to show in lsbAut Private Sub CmdA_Click() Dim strSQL As String Dim db As DAO.Database Dim rs As DAO.Recordset strSQL = "SELECT AuID, AutName FROM TAut WHERE AutName LIKE 'A*' _ & " ORDER BY AutName;" Set db = CurrentDb Set rs = db.OpenRecordset(strSQL) If rs.RecordCount > 0 Then Me!lsbAut.RowSource = strSQL Else MsgBox "No records in DB" End If rs.Close Set rs = Nothing End Sub Now I would like to do is: 1. In lsbAut select a record by Aut...

Can't restor backup file, "Please insert the next backup disk.....
I have money 2005 backup file (.mbf) and my original file has gotten corrupted somehow and can't repair it (computer hung and had to be restarted). Whenever I try to restor the backup file, I get the following message, Window Title: Money Multiple Disk Backup Message: Please insert the next backup disk. (The disk containing file "".) I was backing up on a different connected single harddrive and there is only one file. The file is not in multiple pieces and on different drives. When I click OK, it doesn't do anything and cancel just stops the process. I even down...

CRM Implementation with Token
Hello Do anyone know about access to CRM over HTTPS with a Token based authentication, like RSA Token? We have ISA Server implemented which is responsible for the connection between CRM and the User. Now we want to implement Token based authentication. Do anybody know about it and that it will work? Best Lars Lars, We have implemented CRM to our sales guys and they have 'soft' tokens on their laptop. All it is is a http setting in outlook that will allow them to authenticate. If you would like to we can discuss this offline. Just contact me when you are ready. &qu...

MS CRM 3.0 and Exchange Server 2000
I have a query regarding installation of CRM E-mail Router. I have a MS CRM 3.0 installed on a Windows 2003 Server, we're using a Exchange Server 2000 on W2K Server SP4, can I install the Router on the Exchange Server 2000? check the implementaiton guide, it gives you system requirements "John Ding" wrote: > I have a query regarding installation of CRM E-mail Router. I have a MS CRM > 3.0 installed on a Windows 2003 Server, we're using a Exchange Server 2000 on > W2K Server SP4, can I install the Router on the Exchange Server 2000? > > > I have...

Delete record(s) in other cells based on value of one cell.
What I have is a protected sheet, where all columns except for 3 are protected. I cannot delete the entire row with protection turned on. So, what I need is to be able to delete the value in these three columns, only when the value in column A is "d". Any clues? Protection must remain on, users are using this spreadsheet and I cannot allow them to have access to the formulas in these other columns. Help...Micheal Provide a macro that unprotects the worksheet, does the work and reprotects the worksheet is one way around the problem. MPope wrote: > > What I have is a ...

C002001B during checking for updates
I had a a few bad sectors on my boot drive. A data recovery service recovered all but 12 files, which I have a list of. here is what I did. 1) run the installation repair twice - got the 80070424 err trying to do windows update. 2) copied the following files from an older backup to windows/system32 rasdlg.dll wlanui.dll 3) reboot. now I get C002001B in windows update Problem signature Problem Event Name: APPCRASH Application Name: SLsvc.exe Application Version: 6.0.6002.18005 Application Timestamp: 49e02e64 Fault Module Name: StackHash_0d0f Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0 Fa...

hotfix CRM 1.2 freezes Win 98SE
Hi all, Microsoft CRM will crash my windows 98SE machines. After a short time of using the web client of CRM we are unable to click on any CRM window and the machine freezes and i have to restart them. I found a hotfix reference in this group ( a zip file), but the password given in the post is incorrect. By the moment we have 3 machines with this windows version and we are not in posibilities of upgrate them to win 2000 pro as its says in the post. Does some body have an idea to get the key. Thanks a lot Carlos Thanks Jaime for hotfixes you will have to contact Microsoft MBS Su...

Approved task update through PWA, does not update task in Project
My resource has submitted task progress updates through PWA. I review the % update and approve it. The overall task status in the Project Center does not change. That specific task which is now say 80% complete remains 0. If the recourse looks at their "My Task" view, the task sits at 80%. If I open MS Project (client) and look at the same task, the task has the newly changed progress to 80%. Any ideas? Chris -- You have to publish your project before the changes show up in the Project Center. This means that at the end of every round of accepting task updat...

CRM Exchange Email Router wont install
I have CRM server installed on machine "A", the DataBase on Machine "B" and now i want to install the Exchange Email Router on Machine "c". I was previosly installed on machine "C", it was uninstalled and now i get the following error when trying to reinstall on "C": --------------------------- Microsoft CRM-Exchange E-Mail Router Setup --------------------------- One or more of the Microsoft CRM servers you listed is invalid or you do not have administrator privileges on that server. Make sure that all servers are running properly and...

Excel automation: how to get total numbers of records?
Hi guys, I included excel type library to my application and tested codes of KB186122 successfully. Now I need to find out how many records are in sheet1 of Excel file. I am looking at a so long list of available functions in Excel9.cpp and Excel9.h but no idea which one is which.. Does anybody know good source of documentation except following? 178749 HOWTO: Create Automation Project Using MFC and a Type Library 179706 HOWTO: Use MFC to Automate Excel and Create/Format a New Workbook 186120 HOWTO: Use MFC to Automate Excel and Fill a Range with an Array 186122 HOWTO: Use MFC to Automate Exce...

Cell Phone/Laptop Client/CRM User Sync Architectural Question...
First let me apologize for this question. I am sure that there is something very simple and obvious that I am missing, but I am told that the only dumb question is the unasked one (said with tongue deeply in cheek!).... Current Situation: Small 25 person company Everyone has account on SBS server; i.e., active directory account All have CRM accounts (CRM V3 with all upgrades) Most have laptops with Outlook 2007/CRM client (with all upgrades) Most have Windows Mobile x (5 or 6) cell phones that sync with Exchange We Want: All of us want to be able to have contact info in our phones for each...

create an update query
How do I update the disount field for all customers who do not already have a discount? On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 17:15:01 -0700, kim <kim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I update the disount field for all customers who do not already have a >discount? You can see your table structure - we cannot. Guessing that there is a field in the table Customers named Discount, you can create an update query with a criterion Is Null on the discount field to find all records with blank (empty) discounts. If the discount defaults to 0 you can use a criteron =0 ...

Money Plus: Updates transactions over and over again
I've recently upgraded to Money Plus. Some transactions update each time an update is preformed. Transactions from a month ago update every day and need to be matched up with previous entry each time. Also, there is some transactions that do not have the correct dollar amount. For example, one transactions was for lunch. My bank statement shows the correct Dollar amount but the amount downloaded each time is only for the meal and does not include the amount of the tip (used my debit card to pay for). This transaction is nearly a month old and it downloads everyday with the in...

Cancel Online Updates for a Closed Account
I recently closed an account at my bank where I also have 2 other active accounts. I am using MM05 and it still keeps trying to download transactions even though this account is closed in MM05 and at the bank. I do I stop these attempts at downloads???? -- Rich Rich, When you close an account at the bank, they often leave it in their system for some period of time. Eventually, assuming you don't have them re-open the account, they will remove it from their system. This can sometimes take months. When I close an online-enabled account with a bank, I leave the account open within M...

Installing SQL 2000 and SQL 2008 on the same server ?
Hello, I have a small question, is it possible to install a SQL server 2000 and a sql 2008 server on the same server with Windows 2008 server ? For sql2005 ans 2008 it's ok (http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlsetupandupgrade/thread/6cd82ab9-cc97-46b4-bd65-ce5ac23bd6e2/) but for sql 2000? Thanks, Didier Yes. "Didier" <Didier@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E0A0A4D-9FD6-4169-ABC9-506AD9B4BB1D@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I have a small question, is it possible to install a SQL server 2000 and a > sql 20...

Insert file last save date into excel 2007 footer
How to print the excel 2007 file's last save date as part of the footer? Google search found only http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20081104112053AAnWFdY, which does not work for me. Works for me. Do you get any errors or just doesn't work? Did you copy/paste the code into Thisworkbook module? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 10:41:01 -0800, dougschues <dougschues@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How to print the excel 2007 file's last save date as part of the footer? >Google search found only >http://uk.answe...

Roles and 'Settings' for user interface CRM 3.0
Hi, I'm wanting to create a role for a new user that has basic access. His web interface allows him access to the Settings Tab, which I don't want. From there he can change 'Business Unit Settings' and other settings. I thought it was a matter of my selecting the wrong settings in the role creation, so I created a 'Basic' role with NOTHING checked off and assigned it to him exclusively. It still gave him access to the settings tab, and 'Business Unit Settings'. Surely there must be a way to limit user access to this tab. Any ideas? Hi Jonathan, Have you ...

Promoting Email to CRM Activity in Outlook
Is there a way to associate an email to two accounts when promoting it to a CRM Activity? Lynn Lynn, if you'd like to link the email to multiple regarding objects, you're out of luck. Only one regarding object can be set, though the email will also be linked to all of the senders/recipients ('activity parties'). Ilana. -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "MattNC" <MattNC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:70F78E3C-272A-4515-B393-38700C767B65@microsoft.com... > After you click the &qu...

Update Query in VBA
Hello, I am using Access 2003. I am trying to run an update query through VBA. My SQL is this: UPDATE CostSummarySheet SET CostSummarySheet.Active = Forms!fsubLOA!Active WHERE (((CostSummarySheet.Proj_Name)=[Forms]![frmCSSheetEdit]![Proj_Name])); and the code I am attempting to use is this: Dim db As DAO.Database Dim strSql As String strSql = "UPDATE CostSummarySheet SET [Active] = [Forms]![frmCSSheetEdit]![fsubLOA]![Active] WHERE [Proj_Name]= [Forms]![frmCSSheetEdit]![Proj_Name];" Set db = DBEngine(0)(0) db.Execute strSql, dbFailOnError ...