Strange Stage Name Appears in the Open Opportunities view

I added a column to the "Open Opportunities" view namely the "Stage Name".
I published these customization.

The strange thing is that for some entries in the list a correct stage name
appears such as: "Stage 03 - Quoting" while for others only a number appears
such as "3"

What could be the reason for that and how to fix it?

Thanks
crm 35858 articles. 1 followers. Follow

Stage Name is a picklist field. You probably deleted a value (the 3rd one
originally entered into this field) at some point. When this value was
deleted, Opportunities that had this value in the picklist will no longer
have the string value, but will retain the SQL integer value, thus the
phantom "3".

Are you currently using a Sales Process Workflow? If so, the identical
depiction of your Opportunity's Sales Stage can be found by exposing the
"StepName" data field on you opportunity views.

"luai7" wrote:

> I added a column to the "Open Opportunities" view namely the "Stage Name".
> I published these customization.
>
> The strange thing is that for some entries in the list a correct stage name
> appears such as: "Stage 03 - Quoting" while for others only a number appears
> such as "3"
>
> What could be the reason for that and how to fix it?
>
> Thanks
Hi MD,

Not sure what happened. Could you kindly please advise where can I find/edit
this pick list.

In all cases, when I opened the dbo.OpportunityBase table I found that the
problem exists in the StepName column with numbers appearing instead of
string for some random rows. The strange thing is that when I open the
opportunity the actual stage name appears correctly!!! Could this be a bug in
CRM: "Stage Name is infact the Step Name" !!

So what I did is I manually updated this table with correct string captions.

But, how can I fix this problem for good so that it does not reappear in the
future?

Thanks

"MD" wrote:

> Stage Name is a picklist field. You probably deleted a value (the 3rd one
> originally entered into this field) at some point. When this value was
> deleted, Opportunities that had this value in the picklist will no longer
> have the string value, but will retain the SQL integer value, thus the
> phantom "3".
>
> Are you currently using a Sales Process Workflow? If so, the identical
> depiction of your Opportunity's Sales Stage can be found by exposing the
> "StepName" data field on you opportunity views.
>
> "luai7" wrote:
>
> > I added a column to the "Open Opportunities" view namely the "Stage Name".
> > I published these customization.
> >
> > The strange thing is that for some entries in the list a correct stage name
> > appears such as: "Stage 03 - Quoting" while for others only a number appears
> > such as "3"
> >
> > What could be the reason for that and how to fix it?
> >
> > Thanks
Hey,

A couple things might be at work here. But you'll need to do some digging.

But first, which fields did you update in SQL? You should be carefull not to
update the CRM db directly, as it's unsupported by MSFT and may cause
unexpected results in CRM.

My theory:
The StepName field is being overwritten with the values from the Picklist
field "SalesStageCode". These 2 fields do not directly interact with each
other out-of-the-box, so someone at somepoint must have set these fields to
be updated automatically (most probably through Workflow, but maybe through
JScript)

Someone removed a picklist item from the SalesStageCode field and this
missing value is updating (overwriting) the StepName field which is set
automatically through Sales Process Workflow rule.

You need to find how this is getting updated.

So, I'd check on 2 things:

#1) Go into the StageName attribute (in the main CRM window, click Settings
--> Customization --> Select "Opportunity" from the view, Click "Attributes"
and open the Stage Name attribute.

On the right will be the existing picklist values. My thinking is that
someone deleted one of the original picklist values. Open each value
individually, and note the Integer in the "Value" field. If I'm correct in my
assumption, you;ll go from 1 to 2 to 4, and what ever the Value assigned to 3
will be gone.

#2) If you open up the Workflow Sales Process (in the workflow manager on
the CRM Server), check to see if the picklist (StageNameCode) is being used
to update StepName.
Exploring these 2 areas might help you understand how these values are
appearing.

Please let me know what you find, as these erronous values will probably
continue to occur if you don't find the root cause.

#2) If you open up the Workflow Sales Process (in the workflow manager on

"luai7" wrote:

> Hi MD,
>
> Not sure what happened. Could you kindly please advise where can I find/edit
> this pick list.
>
> In all cases, when I opened the dbo.OpportunityBase table I found that the
> problem exists in the StepName column with numbers appearing instead of
> string for some random rows. The strange thing is that when I open the
> opportunity the actual stage name appears correctly!!! Could this be a bug in
> CRM: "Stage Name is infact the Step Name" !!
>
> So what I did is I manually updated this table with correct string captions.
>
> But, how can I fix this problem for good so that it does not reappear in the
> future?
>
> Thanks
>
> "MD" wrote:
>
> > Stage Name is a picklist field. You probably deleted a value (the 3rd one
> > originally entered into this field) at some point. When this value was
> > deleted, Opportunities that had this value in the picklist will no longer
> > have the string value, but will retain the SQL integer value, thus the
> > phantom "3".
> >
> > Are you currently using a Sales Process Workflow? If so, the identical
> > depiction of your Opportunity's Sales Stage can be found by exposing the
> > "StepName" data field on you opportunity views.
> >
> > "luai7" wrote:
> >
> > > I added a column to the "Open Opportunities" view namely the "Stage Name".
> > > I published these customization.
> > >
> > > The strange thing is that for some entries in the list a correct stage name
> > > appears such as: "Stage 03 - Quoting" while for others only a number appears
> > > such as "3"
> > >
> > > What could be the reason for that and how to fix it?
> > >
> > > Thanks
Hi MD,

I updated the StepName column in the dbo.OpportunityBase table with the
correct stage string caption. Afterwards the stage name appears correctly in
the view list.

As for your recommendations, here are the results:
#1) I found all pick list values there 1,2,3,4,5,6,7... with their correct
string captions
      for the salesstagecode attribute

#2) I opened the Workflow Manager, selected the Opportunity entity, an then
the Sales Process. Nothing appeared. Is this normal ?

"MD" wrote:

> [...]
> > opportunity the actual stage name appears correctly!!! Could this be a bug in
> > CRM: "Stage Name is infact the Step Name" !!
> >
> > So what I did is I manually updated this table with correct string captions.
> >
> > But, how can I fix this problem for good so that it does not reappear in the
> > future?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "MD" wrote:
> >
> > > Stage Name is a picklist field. You probably deleted a value (the 3rd one
> > > originally entered into this field) at some point. When this value was
> > > deleted, Opportunities that had this value in the picklist will no longer
> > > have the string value, but will retain the SQL integer value, thus the
> > > phantom "3".
> > >
> > > Are you currently using a Sales Process Workflow? If so, the identical
> > > depiction of your Opportunity's Sales Stage can be found by exposing the

Well,

Just because it's odd doesn't mean it's abnormal ;-) The only way StepName
can hold any values is if there is a Sales Process in place. So someone
either entered values in here manually, or at one point had a workflow in
place.

What strikes me as odd is why SalesStageCode had a "3", StepName also had a
"3".

There may be one other culprit. Look at the Leads entity, open up the Lead
attribute of the same name ("SalesStageCode") and check those values. If at
some point these were mapped from the lead to the Opportunity, there may be a
disconnect there.

Let me know...

Am I correct in assuming you're new to this CRM install? Has anyone worked
on this system prior to you? 2 things look

"luai7" wrote:

> [...]
> > appearing.
> >
> > Please let me know what you find, as these erronous values will probably
> > continue to occur if you don't find the root cause.
> >

> > "luai7" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi MD,
> > >
> > > Not sure what happened. Could you kindly please advise where can I find/edit
> > > this pick list.
> > >
> > > In all cases, when I opened the dbo.OpportunityBase table I found that the
> > > problem exists in the StepName column with numbers appearing instead of
> > > string for some random rows. The strange thing is that when I open the
> > > opportunity the actual stage name appears correctly!!! Could this be a bug in
> > > CRM: "Stage Name is infact the Step Name" !!
> > >
> > > So what I did is I manually updated this table with correct string captions.
> > >
> > > But, how can I fix this problem for good so that it does not reappear in the

Hi MD,

Our sales don't use Leads... they start immediately with an opportunity >
quotes > orders.. :-)

"MD" wrote:

> [...]
> > > --> Customization --> Select "Opportunity" from the view, Click "Attributes"
> > > and open the Stage Name attribute.
> > >
> > > On the right will be the existing picklist values. My thinking is that
> > > someone deleted one of the original picklist values. Open each value
> > > individually, and note the Integer in the "Value" field. If I'm correct in my
> > > assumption, you;ll go from 1 to 2 to 4, and what ever the Value assigned to 3
> > > will be gone.
> > >
> > > #2) If you open up the Workflow Sales Process (in the workflow manager on
> > > the CRM Server), check to see if the picklist (StageNameCode) is being used
> > > to update StepName.
> > > Exploring these 2 areas might help you understand how these values are
> > > appearing.
> > >
> > > Please let me know what you find, as these erronous values will probably
> > > continue to occur if you don't find the root cause.

Well, what will make this difficult to troublshoot is that you have removed
the records with "3" values. I still don't understand why StepName has values
when no Workflow exists.

"luai7" wrote:

> Hi MD,
>
> Our sales don't use Leads... they start immediately with an opportunity >
> quotes > orders.. :-)
>
> "MD" wrote:
>
> > Well,
> >
> > Just because it's odd doesn't mean it's abnormal ;-) The only way StepName
> > can hold any values is if there is a Sales Process in place. So someone
> > either entered values in here manually, or at one point had a workflow in
> > place.
> >
> > What strikes me as odd is why SalesStageCode had a "3", StepName also had a
> > "3".
> >
> > There may be one other culprit. Look at the Leads entity, open up the Lead
> > attribute of the same name ("SalesStageCode") and check those values. If at
> > some point these were mapped from the lead to the Opportunity, there may be a
> > disconnect there.
> >
> > Let me know...
> >
> > Am I correct in assuming you're new to this CRM install? Has anyone worked
> > on this system prior to you? 2 things look
> >
> > "luai7" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi MD,
> > >
> > > I updated the StepName column in the dbo.OpportunityBase table with the
> > > correct stage string caption. Afterwards the stage name appears correctly in
> > > the view list.
> > >
> > > As for your recommendations, here are the results:
> > > #1) I found all pick list values there 1,2,3,4,5,6,7... with their correct
> > > string captions
> > >       for the salesstagecode attribute
> > >
> > > #2) I opened the Workflow Manager, selected the Opportunity entity, an then
> > > the Sales Process. Nothing appeared. Is this normal ?

Hi MD,

Indeed as you said, if there is no workflow then how could there be captions
in the StepName!! Unless if the workflow was enabled by the previous admin at
some stage then removed !!!

However I checked the Workflow manager but there was nothing in the
Opportunity>Sales Process part.

By the way, how can I enable this Sales process on Opportunites? Are there
published documents or URLs about this thing?

Thanks.

"MD" wrote:

> Well, what will make this difficult to troublshoot is that you have removed
> the records with "3" values. I still don't understand why StepName has values
> when no Workflow exists.
>
> "luai7" wrote:
>
> > Hi MD,
> >
> > Our sales don't use Leads... they start immediately with an opportunity >
> > quotes > orders.. :-)
> >
> > "MD" wrote:
> >
> > > Well,
> > >
> > > Just because it's odd doesn't mean it's abnormal ;-) The only way StepName
> > > can hold any values is if there is a Sales Process in place. So someone
> > > either entered values in here manually, or at one point had a workflow in
> > > place.
> > >
> > > What strikes me as odd is why SalesStageCode had a "3", StepName also had a
> > > "3".
> > >
> > > There may be one other culprit. Look at the Leads entity, open up the Lead
> > > attribute of the same name ("SalesStageCode") and check those values. If at
> > > some point these were mapped from the lead to the Opportunity, there may be a
> > > disconnect there.
> > >
> > > Let me know...
> > >
> > > Am I correct in assuming you're new to this CRM install? Has anyone worked
> > > on this system prior to you? 2 things look

I agree. The only thing that makes sense is that there was a WF in place
before you got a hold of the system. If you want a good book on WF rules and
Sales Processes, check out "Working With MS Dynamics CRM 3.0". It's one of
only 2 books on CRM (3.0), so it's easy to find in any commercial bookstore
(you can also order it online). This will give you all the ins and outs to
workflow, and may even be of help for your Sales Pipeline Report.

"luai7" wrote:

> Hi MD,
>
> Indeed as you said, if there is no workflow then how could there be captions
> in the StepName!! Unless if the workflow was enabled by the previous admin at
> some stage then removed !!!
>
> However I checked the Workflow manager but there was nothing in the
> Opportunity>Sales Process part.
>
> By the way, how can I enable this Sales process on Opportunites? Are there
> published documents or URLs about this thing?
>

> Thanks.
>

> "MD" wrote:
>
> > Well, what will make this difficult to troublshoot is that you have removed
> > the records with "3" values. I still don't understand why StepName has values
> > when no Workflow exists.
> >
> > "luai7" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi MD,
> > >
> > > Our sales don't use Leads... they start immediately with an opportunity >
> > > quotes > orders.. :-)

Replace a comma with a period in a cell containing a lastname, first name, middle i
Hello - I am trying to clean some data and need to change all of my names from McLaughlin, Victor, (i.e, comma) W to McLaughlin, Victor.(i.e., period) W Is there an extract and replace formula or method of som sort (in excel or access) that will allow me to pull the first comma from the right and replace it with a period. Thanks for any suggestions! Select the cells you want to change and run this tiny macro: Sub comma_tose() For Each r In Selection v = StrReverse(r.Value) r.Value = StrReverse(Replace(v, ",", ".", 1, 1)) Next End Sub For example: a,b,c,d wi...

SMTP domain name
Hello. I am running Exchange 5.5 SP4 on a windows 2000 machine and a windows 2000 native domain. Problem I am having is complaints from people regarding the smtp domain name. Our Public domain name and our AD domain name are different. Helo response from the server returns the AD domain name and not the public domain name. This is causing messages to be rejected by some SPAM filters. Has anybody had this problem? Thanks Yes I have battled long and hard with this problem. First thing to check is Exchange System Manager, "Default SMTP Virtual Server" look in advanced propertie...

outlook won't automatically receive/send when opened
outlook won't automatically receive/send when opened how do i get it to do this? An answer would require knowing your Outlook version, mail account type, and connection type. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "newbiejw" <newbiejw@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EDBE10B5-2D8E-4684-99A8-C8C0F4FDC25F@microsoft.com... > outlook won't automatically receive/send when opened > how do i get it to do this? ...

Cannot open PDF in OWA
Users can't open PDF or other attachments when using OWA. Is this by design or am I missing something in administering our SBS 2003 server? Hi, Is this the errors you experience? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812935/en-us Leif "jeckert" <jeckert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FBD8ED6D-233F-4F85-8048-B73427FE711E@microsoft.com... > Users can't open PDF or other attachments when using OWA. Is this by > design > or am I missing something in administering our SBS 2003 server? Leif, No error is given. IE reports that the page is done...

Replace Cells with Column names in functions?
I have a # of fairly long/complex cell functions that get hard to debug because there are also a lot of rows. Is there anyway to change display so it replaces the column name e.g. If(BT1204="X". BA="Y" to If(CustomerName="X", CustomerCode="Y") ? CustomerName is a defined name range for BT1204 Find & Replace Find what: BT1204 Replace with: CustomerName "msnyc07" wrote: > I have a # of fairly long/complex cell functions that get hard to debug > because there are also a lot of rows. > > Is t...

Display names in Contacts
When I create a new contact and after that I type the email address, then Display name is written like this : LastName FirstName(email). Is there a setting that I can change to eliminate the email address in the display name ? I would like to have the display name showing like this : LastName FirstName . Antoine Veilleux Change the 'Display as' setting when creating new contacts. "Shidewa" wrote: > When I create a new contact and after that I type the email address, > then Display name is written like this : LastName FirstName(email). Is > there a settin...

address being appended to contact's name
If this is not the proper newsgroup for windows mail, please direct me to it. When I create or forward email, the email address is appended to the name of the contacts in the "To:" line. How can I stop this from happening? Thanks, Jim B. Vista's Windows Mail? microsoft.public.windows.vista.mail "Jim Birke@yahoo.com>" <jimbir<nottthis> wrote in message news:#RKwAWMuKHA.4796@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > If this is not the proper newsgroup for windows mail, please direct me to > it. > > When I create or forward email, the email...

Problem With Opening Attachments
For some reason, when I click on any attachment in received e-mails Microsoft Publisher opens and the attachments cannot be viewed. Does anybody know how to prevent this? It started just a couple of days ago and I haven't been able to find a solution anywhere. Thanks in advance. ...

Is 2003 and open relay by default?
I have recently sent up an exchange 2003 server in our company. It was a fresh install on a 2003 server which is also a fresh install. Is 2003 Exchange an open relay by default? If so, how can I close it? no. by default it is closed to relaying "eotrue" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0d5b01c3d949$36fe2090$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have recently sent up an exchange 2003 server in our > company. It was a fresh install on a 2003 server which is > also a fresh install. > > Is 2003 Exchange an open relay by default? If so, how can &g...

Excel sheet (OLE object) sometimes open on the form sometimes in E
Hello there, I have an Excel sheet (OLE object in the table) on a form , I have setup the Property in "Auto Activate" as Double-Click , so when I double click the object the sheet open. But sometime the object appears on the form as an Excel Icon - then when I double click it open in Excel - that is what I want. But sometime it appears as a table of data and when I double click it open on the form - I want to avoid that and instead always have the sheet open in excel. Any idea? Many many thanks, Dan Hi Dan, By default, you can directly double click the OLE Ob...

Outlook 2003-Failing remember name when typing into the To: field
I just got Outlook 2002 and I was informed that when you send a message and typing in the To: field that if you have emailed someone before it would remember the name. For example: If I send an email to Shawn Hedrick the next time I send one I would only have to type maybe the first few letter and then it would prefill the rest. Does anyone know about this or how to set this up? tools, options, email options, advanced options - is suggest names checked? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStar...

Why are lines appearing to the left and top of my jpeg images?
In Word and now in PowerPoint now, after I insert a .jpg image and save the document lines are appearing to the left and top of the image. Why is this happening and how do I stop it? It's not happening on every .jpg image only on some. Cropping will get rid of it but I have a logo that is already cropped as much as it can be and I can't crop it anymore! Any advice is appreciated. In article <570BA9EB-BFEF-4EA1-B698-B1EDDFE574AD@microsoft.com>, SFL Beach Girl wrote: > In Word and now in PowerPoint now, after I insert a .jpg image and save the > document line...

The All Leads view is not All Leads.
The system-provided viewed call All Leads doesn’t include qualified leads. A better name would be All Active Leads. Problem – You can’t rename the view. You also can’t fix the filter to include all qualified leads. I’ll try to hack CRM to remove the All Leads view. What especially bothers me is that MBS Support replied “Currently it is not possible to change the pre-set views in CRM, as you have already described.” I knew that much but it seems such a fix would be very easy to release in a KB article fix. It would be nice to hear “Yes, I agree that is not the best name for that ...

How to open saved .DBX files?
I saved a folder of e-mails to CD from Outlook Express shortly before my last computer died. I desperately need to open the folder (saved as a .dbx file) by tomorrow, to get my husband (in Portugal watching the footie) the details of his hotel!!I am now running Xp and have both outlook and outlook express(office 2003) I tried open with, but selecting OE takes you into the OE files rather than selecting it as a prog.If I try open with outlook, it just appears as a folder attachment in an e-mail Can anybody help me open this wretched thing??? Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an...

Opening page
How do I configure Outlook so that when it opens it displays immediately the weekly calendar? Thank you 'Tools|Options|Other|Advanced Options', set "Startup in this folder" to be "Calendar" Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!" KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4 Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com "Jorge Bravo" <open@closed.com> wrote in message news:egO6toXKJHA.5904@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >...

can't open VB editor in Excel 2007 under Vista
I have a spreadsheet with VB code in it. On my XP PC I can edit it without any problem. On my Vista PC, I can run the code, but if I try to edit it I get "error in loading dll". The VB window opens up, but the modules won't. Also, it used to work - I don't know why it stopped. Can anyone help? Thanks! On Nov 11, 3:42=A0am, "Sandy Rosenberg" <srosenb...@bloomfieldct.deleteme.org> wrote: > I have a spreadsheet with VB code in it. =A0On my XP PC I can edit it wit= hout > any problem. =A0On my Vista PC, I can run the code, but if I try to edit = it...

how to create emails with sound when opening
how to create emails with sound when opening Buster <Buster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > how to create emails with sound when opening http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/addingsound.htm -- Brian Tillman ...

Word documents are re-formatted to an undesired font on opening
I have saved documents with an Arial based style but on re-opening the styles have Times New Roman and different font sizes. How did you change the styles? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "KeithCC" <KeithCC@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1C7387D1-C9F8-4E37-AF7F-7CD79CAC2042@microsoft.com... >I have saved documents with an Arial based style but on re-opening the >styles > have Times New Roman and different font sizes. ...

Problem opening outlook
When I try to open outlook, a message box shows "unable to open your default mail folders. Could not start because a location to send and receive mail could not be found." Evidently I deleted something, but I don't know how or when. My CD installation disk is broken. Is there a way I can fix this problem without re-installing? Or a web site where I can download something? anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > When I try to open outlook, a message box shows "unable to > open your default mail folders. Could...

New blank document at opening

Strange problem while running MFC 7.0 apps on Windows 2000
Hello, I'm writing an MFC 7.1 program and it runs smoothly on XP and 98. However, on Windows 2000 I encountered a strange message saying that The application failed to initailize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application. Thus I try to install VS.Net 2003 on a Win2k machine and run my EXE from VS.Net IDE. The debugging outputs are attached below. Any clues / suggestions / solutions are appreciated. My program uses VS.Net 2003 (MFC 7.1, link as static library) and CImage class in that. The GDIPlus.dll is copied from .Net framework 1.1.3705. TIA, Arthur ...

Emailing a group; only the recipient's name appears
How do I email a group in which only the individual recipient's name appears in the address? Thanks in advance for your help. If you are asking how to make it look like the message was sent to each user individually, you'd need to do a mail merge. If you have Word installed and it's the same version as Outlook (both 2003, for example), you can do the merge between the two. Or you can use one of the many 3rd party mass mailing programs available. Look at the following pages for further information: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/startletter.htm http://www.slipstick.com/ad...

Name Ranges
How do I avoid duplicating name ranges after copying cells that contain a name range? -- Steve ...

Certain TTF Fonts not appearing in Office 2008
System: MacBook Pro 10.5.1 (Intel), Office 2008 S&amp;H Edition <br><br>After installing Office 2008 from Student 2004 the biggest problem I have run into is missing fonts. In my line of work I have several licensed font libraries that I use extensively each day. About half of them no longer show up under Office 2008 either in WYSIWYG or List fonts. <br><br>The fonts are valid as I have been using them for about a year now and only after upgrading to 2008 have they disappeared. I can't figure out a common denominator as to why some are there and others are not. ...

Error 0x80040604: A folder by this name already exists
Hi All, About 3 weeks ago, I started getting this error message (Folder:Inbox Synchronizing headers. 'reported error (0x80040604) : 'A folder by this name already exists.') in Outlook 2007 when trying to sync up a couple of hotmail accounts I have. Figuring it may have just been a random error message, I restarted both Outlook and my machine, but to no avail, the error did not go away. Anyone seen this message before and know how to resolve it? Thanks, Drew forgot to add that I do have SP1 installed for Office 2007. "Drew W" <Blah@Blah.com> wrote in messa...